Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I guess the GW decks are better vs sultai control and Abzan? the GR devotion deck seems just better to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

I guess the GW decks are better vs sultai control and Abzan? the GR devotion deck seems just better to me...

Mastery of the Unseen is good against Aggro because of the life gain, good against Control because it's hard to kill, and good against Midrange because it's card advantage.

Mastery + Courser means you can Manifest until you see a great card on top you want to draw.

Mastery + Sabertooth means you can Manifest EVERYTHING and then just bounce whatever spell/land you feel like playing.

The synergies are much more powerful than a random big Fireball.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

It's not as if the deck has no answers and is going to dominate standard now.

Like what?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Mastery of the Unseen is good against Aggro because of the life gain, good against Control because it's hard to kill, and good against Midrange because it's card advantage.

Mastery + Courser means you can Manifest until you see a great card on top you want to draw.

Mastery + Sabertooth means you can Manifest EVERYTHING and then just bounce whatever spell/land you feel like playing.

The synergies are much more powerful than a random big Fireball.

Big random fireballs for 18 win games of Magic quickly. Claws is also terrific early removal against smaller creatures in aggro decks. You also get Xenagos which is underplayed and very good. The mastery decks just seem so slow to me and less explosive. I played GR at a IQ today and played both Hornet Queen and Ugin On my 7th turn.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 9, 2015

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if Mastery of the Unseen will get banned in standard for similar reasons as to why Second Sunrise got banned in modern. Even if the deck isn't super dominant, it seems really slow at the best of times, and the mirror is unbearable. Kind of hoping it'll die off on it's own, but drat it is not a fun deck to watch at all.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

Big random fireballs for 18 win games of Magic quickly. Claws is also terrific early removal against smaller creatures in aggro decks. You also get Xenagos which is underplayed and very good. The mastery decks just seem so slow to me and less explosive. I played GR at a IQ today and played both Hornet Queen and Ugin my the turn.

G/W seems just as explosive to me as G/R, it just can't win as quickly as a giant Crater's Claws can and clearly this first iteration didn't take mirror matches into consideration as much. But I think if you were to play the two against each other, G/R would actually lose. Fireball for 18 is meaningless when your opponent is gaining 15-30 life every turn.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

poorlywrittennovel posted:

I wonder if Mastery of the Unseen will get banned in standard for similar reasons as to why Second Sunrise got banned in modern. Even if the deck isn't super dominant, it seems really slow at the best of times, and the mirror is unbearable. Kind of hoping it'll die off on it's own, but drat it is not a fun deck to watch at all.

Enchantment removal is probably main deckable now. I played 4x Rec Sage in my SB today and they were terrific.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Big random fireballs for 18 win games of Magic quickly. Claws is also terrific early removal against smaller creatures in aggro decks. You also get Xenagos which is underplayed and very good. The mastery decks just seem so slow to me and less explosive. I played GR at a IQ today and played both Hornet Queen and Ugin On my 7th turn.

Doesn't need to be fast if it's resilient to the point of invincible against everything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

G/W seems just as explosive to me as G/R, it just can't win as quickly as a giant Crater's Claws can and clearly this first iteration didn't take mirror matches into consideration as much. But I think if you were to play the two against each other, G/R would actually lose. Fireball for 18 is meaningless when your opponent is gaining 15-30 life every turn.

I didn't play the GW guy who was in the top 8 and I've never played the matchup so idk. I would like to playtest it though.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Count Bleck posted:

The deck is a natural predator of the U/B and Sultai control decks, you've got threats for days and your painful manabase doesn't mean as much because you weren't going to run out of life anyway unless they've already secured the board. Abzan seems like a decent matchup, it usually goes 50/50 for me anyway.

Burn is horrible for the deck as the painful manabase is not very relevant. Usually your best play is block the swinging dude and hope its a bluff, but Stubborn Denial changes that immensely, the card is so good against decks that tap out every turn and is even better when all your creatures are either mana fixing or 4 power. Your winrate improves when you bring in the angers, but you actually have to draw one. Wild Slash is a lifesaver.

I haven't played against any GW devotion yet so I couldn't tell you, but I have a feeling anger is good against it provided they already aren't going off.

Nobody plays the Ascendancy decks around here for... some reason.

Temur Midrange, my friend. I am literally the only person who still has faith in The Church of Knux.

From a few pages back, but do you have a current deck list?

I too am a disciple of the all mighty Knux. I've been doing alright with it at FNM, but I'm always curious to see other people's builds and see if I'm missing out on anything.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Kolaghan's Command

1RB
Instant
Choose 2
-Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand
-Target player discards a card
-Destroy target artifact
-Deal 2 damage to target creature or player

Looks like a new card I haven't seen in the thread yet. Phoneposting or I'd img it. Seems a little underwhelming but not terrible?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

This doesn't seem right - this seems way better than the other three.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Kolaghan's Command

1RB
Instant
Choose 2
-Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand
-Target player discards a card
-Destroy target artifact
-Deal 2 damage to target creature or player

Looks like a new card I haven't seen in the thread yet. Phoneposting or I'd img it. Seems a little underwhelming but not terrible?

Its shock with instant speed discard, it always has a relevant mode.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah it doesn't seem bad or unplayable. I don't think it's better than atarkas or ojutais commands given the respect deck each will want to be in though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Baseless G/W Command speculation:

Destroy target enchantment
Fog
Put some tokens into play
Giant Growth something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Fog
Giant Growth something.

Manifest the top card of your library
Gain 1 life for each manifested card you control
Gain 2 life for each creature you control.
End the game in a draw.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You're right, it's actually good

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Your post made me chuckle, Angriest of Grimaces

Hellsau posted:

Fog
Giant Growth something.
I think we'll get a fog and enchantment removal, yeah, but does anything else have fight? Probably a removal mode based on fight or exile, then maybe ranger's guile or some sort of temporal spring style effect.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I can get behind an instant speed weaker blightning. And I guess some other effects.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!
Reminds me of electrolyze but you can't split damage.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I miss Blightning. Especially free Blightning :sigh:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I wonder if there's a correlation between the people making GBS threads on The Best Command and the people who thought Lifelink for Instants Bear was the hot poo poo and Manifestization sucked.

Spoiler: Yeah. It's the same dumbs.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

WRT our earlier argument(it was a while ago, might have been in the last thread), MaRo had this to say about minimum time to change a card:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/113096706468/how-last-minute-could-a-last-minute-card-possibly

quote:

thisiscoolname asked: how last-minute could a last-minute card possibly be?

About six months but it would be an emergency and have to be designed around completed art and a locked name - well, it would have to fit its collector number meaning the names before and after it would be locked.

So, yeah. Stuff is locked in way in advance.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

This seems good.

DarkRider09 posted:

From a few pages back, but do you have a current deck list?

I too am a disciple of the all mighty Knux. I've been doing alright with it at FNM, but I'm always curious to see other people's builds and see if I'm missing out on anything.

Why yes!

It's Midrange, these changes were for the IQ I came back from (I went 4-2-1, it was pretty good until I ran into Abzan Aggro and kept a 5 lander that was way too slow, followed by a solid R/G starting hand and then drawing into a Knuckleblades and Stubborn Denial 4 turns in a row, the second loss was a mirror, surprisingly, and the draw was 1-1-1 to Sultai Control.)

I'm considering taking out Xenagos because Nissa seems to do his job better in this metagame, and with Dragons coming out I'm looking for cuts for Sarkhan Unbroken, I'm hoping Surrak actually doesn't suck rear end, but he's coming with Formidable so that's pretty on the fence.

Polukranos was really slow and it felt bad to play it and then it immediately died to some removal without requiring anything special, and with Ultimate Price coming back it probably won't contribute much after the set comes in.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Toshimo posted:

I wonder if there's a correlation between the people making GBS threads on The Best Command and the people who thought Lifelink for Instants Bear was the hot poo poo and Manifestization sucked.

Which one is the best command?

(Soulfire Grand Master is totally good!)

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Maybe I'm underrating the fact that hitting players can be psuedo planeswalker removal (as well as the simple value of just hitting players to burn them out, and whatever value returning creatures from the graveyard has, though that's never seemed particularly interesting in standard), but this seems comparable to Mardu Charm in some ways -- charm is more damage but creature only, the discard is instant speed Duress rather than opponent-controlled -- and that card sees just about no play in actual Mardu decks.

edit: duh, commands let you do two things, it's been a long weekend. move along.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 9, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mardu charm doesn't say "two" on it with an easier casting cost?

I can't think of many cards where Raise dead was used like this to compare though. It has historically been a pretty meh effect but it's always so expensive or not worth the card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seems like a decent value spell. It has the situationally strong Disentomb effect while also having a strong baseline of "sortof Electrolyze" if you don't meet that criteria. It also has decent versatility in different matchups.

Angry Grimace posted:

(Soulfire Grand Master is totally good!)
It's worse than Seeker of the Way, but still standard playable once you've maxed those out.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Spiderdrake posted:

Mardu charm doesn't say "two" on it with an easier casting cost?

I can't think of many cards where Raise dead was used like this to compare though. It has historically been a pretty meh effect but it's always so expensive or not worth the card.

Wow it's been a long weekend and I've been awake for a while and completely zoned out on the commands being two effects vs one for charms. Disregard my post lol

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Maybe I'm underrating the fact that hitting players can be psuedo planeswalker removal (as well as the simple value of just hitting players to burn them out, and whatever value returning creatures from the graveyard has, though that's never seemed particularly interesting in standard), but this seems comparable to Mardu Charm in some ways -- charm is more damage but creature only, the discard is instant speed Duress rather than opponent-controlled -- and that card sees just about no play in actual Mardu decks.

I think you're underrating the gravedigger effect and the versitility of being able to choose two modes even if 90% of the time you're going to choose shock as one of them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Actually thinking about it again I don't really like paying 1B extra over Wild Slash in exchange for the worst card in their hand. It obviously becomes great if they start topdecking (if they do at all), but that like the Disentomb mode requires you to wait quite a while before it gets good, which is not good for small removal.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 9, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Seems like a decent value spell. It has the situationally strong Disentomb effect while also having a strong baseline of "sortof Electrolyze" if you don't meet that criteria. It also has decent versatility in different matchups.
It's worse than Seeker of the Way, but still standard playable once you've maxed those out.

It isn't worse than Seeker of the Way because the buyback works more than you're imagining it to. It's not a card that generically goes in a deck where Seeker might. You need a deck that can do rear end in a top hat poo poo like get a free Stoke and then cast it again to punch through.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's how virtually every list I've seen uses it though (except perhaps in The Format That Shall Not Be Named). If you have burn spells then you're casting noncreature spells and you care about doing damage to your opponent so Seeker is good. Same for Jeskai Ascendancy/token builds where you're again casting lots of noncreature spells.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Toshimo posted:

I wonder where all the good card evaluators are?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Hey guys how is this for a free counterspell speculation:

3UU
Instant (mythic rare of course)
You may pay 1 life and exile a dragon card from your hand instead of paying (cardname's) mana cost
Counter target spell

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

I wonder where all the good card evaluators are?

If you're looking for those, you haven't been in this thread very long. Being wrong about spoiled cards is a goon tradition.

Lets Pickle posted:

3UU
You may pay 1 life and exile a dragon card from your hand instead of paying (cardname's) mana cost
Counter target spell

It would probably be a junk rare. I can't really envision how often you'd really want to dump a Stormbreath or a Thunderbreak just to counter a spell.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's how virtually every list I've seen uses it though (except perhaps in The Format That Shall Not Be Named). If you have burn spells then you're casting noncreature spells and you care about doing damage to your opponent so Seeker is good. Same for Jeskai Ascendancy/token builds where you're again casting lots of noncreature spells.

Talking R/W - the difference to me is that Seeker's 1 or 2 damage that it gives you over Grandmaster over the course of a game has rarely been as relevant as a buyback on a Stoke the Flames or Valorous Stance, which can just end standoffs and the lifegain attached to it can really save your rear end vs. the more aggressive decks. I think most people use Seeker, but I think its a very arguable point and just wrong to say Seeker is generically better.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 9, 2015

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I run 4x Seeker and 2x Grandmaster in RW.

Seeker is more of a reliable early beater, but Grandmaster can be huge in race circumstances and such.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LSV recently recorded a video series with Jeskai tokens where he had 4x SFGM and 0 Seeker

clearly a dumb

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Lets Pickle posted:

3UU
Counter target spell

Banned. mono green should not get hard counters :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You can argue for either. I just think the upside on SFGM is higher since its a better topdeck in a standoff and its close to Seeker in combat at other times. I mean, in Tokens, its just worse, but that's because the buyback is irrelevant there, but that's a deck that's looking to abuse Prowess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Niton posted:

New(?) spoiler from SCG, weird as hell card:

Weird side-note, but do yall think this is the format we'll see for creatures that can apply a once-per-turn self-buff from now on? Like, instead of Rootwalla's "~ gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn." we would see "~'s base power and toughness become 4 until end of turn" -- it saves some space on a card, which in my understanding is at a premium for designers. Also, unless there's a rules interaction I'm unaware of, it achieves exactly the same effect

• Locked thread