Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I love the pro controller, it's so bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmLYHsAcZQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
How much of a step up is the Pro controller over the standard gamepad? It's fairly comfortable and works for everything so i'm struggling to justify buying the Pro.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 8, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kin posted:

How much of a step up is the Pro controller over the standard gamepad? It's fairly comfortable and works for everything so i'm struggling to justify buying the Pro.

The Pro is a really good controller, but so is the gamepad. If you play local multiplayer a lot or if you hate the gamepad's battery life, grab a pro, but otherwise it sounds like that fifty would be better spent on a game for you

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Kin posted:

For me, not worth it as a replacement. Great for a second controller, though.

I like the pro, it's just a small step down from the Xbox 360 controller, which is my favorite all time in terms of quality and balance overall.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I have never touched a pro controller and am completely satisfied playing games with the gamepad, it is a very comfortable controller and all the sticks and buttons are in convenient locations that my fingers and thumbs can reach with minimal problem. My only complaints is that it's black and my horrible greasy goon fingers make it awful to look at, the shoulder buttons are kind of not great and one of them rattles, and the rumble pack is loud enough to drown out the gamepad sound.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Davinci posted:

I have never touched a pro controller and am completely satisfied playing games with the gamepad, it is a very comfortable controller and all the sticks and buttons are in convenient locations that my fingers and thumbs can reach with minimal problem. My only complaints is that it's black and my horrible greasy goon fingers make it awful to look at, the shoulder buttons are kind of not great and one of them rattles, and the rumble pack is loud enough to drown out the gamepad sound.

You should get a Pro Controller because it is literally the best controller™

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Davinci posted:

My only complaints is that it's black and my horrible greasy goon fingers make it awful to look at

You're not the first person I've seen complain about this. I bought one of these silicon sleeves

Wii U Gamepad Silicone Jacket - Red by PDP http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A878J3U/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Ftm.ub17NKMJX

And I find that it makes my gamepad look nice and keeps my gross sweaty hands comfortable.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kin posted:

It's a nice step up but if you're comfortable with the gamepad and you mostly play alone then yeah, no need for the Pro.

I mostly got it so it'd double as a PC controller and to play Platinum games a bit more comfortably.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Looper posted:

The Pro is a really good controller, but so is the gamepad. If you play local multiplayer a lot or if you hate the gamepad's battery life, grab a pro, but otherwise it sounds like that fifty would be better spent on a game for you

This was one of the few things making me think about getting it. Over the last few weeks, there's been a couple of times where I've run the gamepad dry (fucken Hyrule Warriors), but even then, it's been very rare and only after something like 5 hours of straight gameplay or something ridiculous. I don't really have many other games for the that demand extreme hours of attention that aren't Wii games which i've already got a classic pro controller for, but with Stuff like Xennoblade coming out i may get it for that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is it possible to turn off the screen of the gamepad but still use it as a controller? I use my TV because it's good

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Lblitzer posted:

Is it possible to turn off the screen of the gamepad but still use it as a controller? I use my TV because it's good
I'm pretty sure you can do this in the settings.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Lblitzer posted:

No. You can turn off the screen, but pressing any buttons will bring it back up unless you're in a game that specifically allows that (Tropical Freeze, for example).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can turn the screen brightness all the way down. It satisfies barely.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Just cover the screen with electrical tape :)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I started Metroid Prime 2 yesterday and just got done with a marathon session today. Thoughts so far...

Quite the tonal shift! Tallon IV was isolated but you never got the impression that everything on the planet hated you and wanted you to die. Just the Space Pirates. At the same time you actually have a friend! A live friend! That was a shocker. He's a giant moth and... I hate moths, ugh, but U-Mos seems all right.

Second, the dark world... At first I thought it wasn't so bad. Just plan your route from the safe zones, get your bearings, and shoot all the pointy things for health! No problem, I got this!

That is, until I got to the Space Pirate facility and went through their portal, which closed behind me. Then I was trapped there. Not a good feeling! And the jumps were a lot trickier, safe zones were farther away and usually of the "temporary, have to recharge this" variety. :supaburn: Lemme tell you: poo poo was stressful! I felt every second that I was going to die, even though I didn't dip down to one energy tank too often...

That stretch between save points from the Pirate facility to getting the next beam upgrade was a killer though! Yeesh. But I got through it! I just feel kind of stressed out now and I need a break.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot that I decided to play on a harder difficulty, since I never felt even in danger of dying in the first game. Did the first game on Normal, so this time I'm doing Veteran, which probably makes a difference! I've already died once... due to stupidity and getting lost outside a safe zone. Durrr.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 9, 2015

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

iirc Veteran in Trilogy is what the normal difficulty was in the original GC game, so it's the correct difficulty.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've tried playing Metroid Prime again and hit the wall that is the second boss (the wasps). I'm remembering correctly that it's always rough and there's no energy tanks to sniff out before then, right? Or have I just gotten fifty gallons of suck in the years since I last played?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Turn on the option that disables free aim while locked-on

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Bruceski posted:

I've tried playing Metroid Prime again and hit the wall that is the second boss (the wasps). I'm remembering correctly that it's always rough and there's no energy tanks to sniff out before then, right? Or have I just gotten fifty gallons of suck in the years since I last played?

Use your radar

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So I just got back from PAX East. On Friday, I had little else to do so I decided to wander over to the Nintendo booth and sit in line to try out Splatoon. I ended up waiting for nearly two hours.

It was worth it.

They had it set up for a four on four match, two three minute rounds, with a brief little tutorial beforehand. I had an absolute blast. Everything moved nice and fluidly, and aiming felt really natural (although I have extensive Metroid Prime Trilogy experience, so motion aiming is really natural).

I also got a cute little squid pin for it, too. I'm completely exhausted so I can't really bring to mind more detail, but it was every bit as fun as I'd hoped.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

eig posted:

Just cover the screen with electrical tape :)

Don't forget to glue cd holders to your wii u for quick and easy access to your favorite games!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

Don't forget to glue cd holders to your wii u for quick and easy access to your favorite games!

I cut out the middle man and have a stack of 15 Wii Us with one disc in each

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Looper posted:

That's completely inefficient in order to save time. I glued my CD holders to the game pad.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 9, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

KennyMan666 posted:

iirc Veteran in Trilogy is what the normal difficulty was in the original GC game, so it's the correct difficulty.

Yeah I kind of wish games would make it more obvious which one is the standard difficulty. Evidently, in Metroid Prime, Normal is Easy in disguise. Fire Emblem: Awakening is like that too. I guess normal is the new easy?

Then on the other hand, there's Platinum games, where Easy is the standard difficulty!

Look, game, I just want to play you on your standard difficulty. Don't make this hard... I don't have weird pride issues with playing on easy or something, nor am I concerned with building my e-cred or something by playing on hard. I just... want to play the game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah I kind of wish games would make it more obvious which one is the standard difficulty. Evidently, in Metroid Prime, Normal is Easy in disguise. Fire Emblem: Awakening is like that too. I guess normal is the new easy?

Then on the other hand, there's Platinum games, where Easy is the standard difficulty!

Look, game, I just want to play you on your standard difficulty. Don't make this hard... I don't have weird pride issues with playing on easy or something, nor am I concerned with building my e-cred or something by playing on hard. I just... want to play the game.

This is the difficulty selection screen for the first playthrough of the Resident Evil remake

You would assume the middle one is Normal but it's actually Normal, Easy, Very Easy

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kin posted:

You'll pretty much need one if you want to play multiplayer Hyrule Warriors, otherwise it's just a nice-to-have if you don't want to have to use the gamepad all the time. It's a really nice nice-to-have though, it's lightweight and easy to charge and really highlights how bulky the 360 controller is in comparison. Also it lasts forever on a single charge.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Gaffle posted:

How are you holding it? Most game where you'll use both sticks they generally expect you to rest your thumb on A and X so you only have to reach a little bit to get to the stick or other buttons. Pretty much every other controller has built up an expectation that the bottom buttons are most important but the Wii u is a little different.

I'm holding it like you hold any other controller. Yeah, it's a great mold, but reaching over to Y and B is more awkward of a feel than it should be and will take some getting used to if I wind up sticking with it. This particular one I'm returning since only the left side of the pad actually rumbles - first time a controller was ever wonky right out of the box, but stuff happens.

Which now that I think of it reminds me of all those Wii hours where it was just the right, hand with the remote, getting the vibes.

Anyway,, besides Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, etc. the other major reason for buying it was that I don't want to risk wearing out the Gamepad since we're more than 2 years in and Nintendo still won't sell them separately, even though the console is built around it. I can keep the Gamepad plugged in during play if I want so its sub-par battery life isn't a big deal.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My nephew bought me a Sonic. My first amiibo :3:

It's pretty sweet but I have no clue what to do with it outside of Smash. I want a Wario amiibo now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Housh posted:

My nephew bought me a Sonic. My first amiibo :3:

It's pretty sweet but I have no clue what to do with it outside of Smash. I want a Wario amiibo now.

You are hosed now.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Actually the default difficulty for Platinum games is generally the hardest one you start with (and by default I just mean the base line the game was designed around) I think Bayonetta 2 may break this rule, though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

oddium posted:

Turn on the option that disables free aim while locked-on

Thanks, between that and remembering I should jump the wasps instead of trying to sidestep them, I made it through.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just started playing Bayonetta. Holy poo poo! Also, is it really mostly cutscenes? I don't mind but wow that first fight cut scene was out of control.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Waltzing Along posted:

Just started playing Bayonetta. Holy poo poo! Also, is it really mostly cutscenes? I don't mind but wow that first fight cut scene was out of control.

The game's opening is ludicrously long, but it paces itself a lot better as the game goes on, and cutscenes tend to be front-loaded or back-loaded per stage, with some major exceptions. There's always gonna be lots of cutscenes, but there'll be a lot more game to space them out once you're out of the first levels.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If the whole game was just cut scenes like that first one, I don't think I'd mind that much. But I'd probably get bored with it after a while. Who knows.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

You are hosed now.

It won't be long until his nephew is drawing pictures of his sonic OC

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

No not at all, there's plenty of gameplay in Bayonetta. It's not quite as content-full as W101 but it isn't like Metal Gear Rising either

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Housh posted:

It's pretty sweet but I have no clue what to do with it outside of Smash.

Wait and see. If the next Sonic game is worth buying, chances are it'll do something nifty like unlock content. Or some other Sega-affiliated title. Hell, Lost World has Zelda DLC where Sonic dresses up as Link and runs around Hyrule, maybe Nintendo will return the favour for Wii U Zelda and the amiibo will play into that?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Thanks, between that and remembering I should jump the wasps instead of trying to sidestep them, I made it through.

I just jumped around like I had a wasp in my suit and fired around blindly. Took a while but it worked. :shrug:

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Agent Escalus posted:

Wait and see. If the next Sonic game is worth buying, chances are it'll do something nifty like unlock content. Or some other Sega-affiliated title. Hell, Lost World has Zelda DLC where Sonic dresses up as Link and runs around Hyrule, maybe Nintendo will return the favour for Wii U Zelda and the amiibo will play into that?

Uh... No Thanks, please keep that weirdo hedgehog as far away from Hyrule as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Gorgolflox posted:

Uh... No Thanks, please keep that weirdo hedgehog as far away from Hyrule as possible.

What if he were a bonus boss you could fight by scanning in the Amiibo?

• Locked thread