Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I haven't read through them, but the trophies for the PS3 version are out and apparently have some big spoilers, if anyone else wants to: http://www.exophase.com/game/hotline-miami-2-wrong-number-psn/trophies/

Also, having just played through the first again, I feel pretty convinced that Beard is Richter. It fits with Richard's statement that "Someone you know is not who you think he is", which doesn't have anyone else to really apply to in the first game, besides maybe the phone voice, and that feels like stretching. If you take the perspective that everything before Trauma is in Jacket's head, the imagery of Richter killing and replacing Beard could just as much represent Beard 'becoming' Richter, a way of understanding the transformation of Beard/Richter from Jacket's friend to his enemy after he's ambushed by him. Also, though this isn't necessarily proof, they've got the same head sprite, so that at least gives a direct link between the two. It could just be a matter of recycling assets, but I don't think any other face sprites are reused for different characters, so it would seem to make sense. I'm sure this is a pretty common theory, but it really clicked for me on the most recent playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So the trophy leak confirms a few things. Not really spoilers but skip if you want to go in entirely unspoiled.

You have to unlock fans. It's possible that just means you start with Tony or Corey, then unlock Mark/Alex and Ash but maybe there's more.

The Soldier can unlock weapons.

Jake unlocks masks

The Son gets 'techniques' which seem to basically be masks.

The Henchman, Pig Butcher, Richter, The Detective and The Writer don't seem to get unlocks.

RandallODim posted:

I haven't read through them, but the trophies for the PS3 version are out and apparently have some big spoilers, if anyone else wants to: http://www.exophase.com/game/hotline-miami-2-wrong-number-psn/trophies/

Also, having just played through the first again, I feel pretty convinced that Beard is Richter. It fits with Richard's statement that "Someone you know is not who you think he is", which doesn't have anyone else to really apply to in the first game, besides maybe the phone voice, and that feels like stretching. If you take the perspective that everything before Trauma is in Jacket's head, the imagery of Richter killing and replacing Beard could just as much represent Beard 'becoming' Richter, a way of understanding the transformation of Beard/Richter from Jacket's friend to his enemy after he's ambushed by him. Also, though this isn't necessarily proof, they've got the same head sprite, so that at least gives a direct link between the two. It could just be a matter of recycling assets, but I don't think any other face sprites are reused for different characters, so it would seem to make sense. I'm sure this is a pretty common theory, but it really clicked for me on the most recent playthrough.

One thing to note is that The Soldier looks a lot like Beard.

I hate monday.:argh:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 9, 2015

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

RandallODim posted:

I really only saw a single spoiler in that list but I guess it could be considered a big one: the return of a character from the first, unless you're reading something into some of the stuff that I'm not. There's a reference to a tie-in or cameo or something to another game, but that's more cute than anything to do with the plot.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Pharmaskittle posted:

I really only saw a single spoiler in that list but I guess it could be considered a big one: the return of a character from the first, unless you're reading something into some of the stuff that I'm not. There's a reference to a tie-in or cameo or something to another game, but that's more cute than anything to do with the plot.

Given that some of the game is confirmed to take place before the first (you come across Jake's corpse in Hot & Heavy so anything he does has to happen before then), it's reasonable that you-know-who's return isn't actually that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

From the trophy leak and the comics it seems like both "endings" are somehow canon, despite that being impossible with the Jacket/Biker fight. I wonder if they're going to even attempt to explain it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's a hidden trophy so I feel it's either an easter egg or plot twist.

Also a callback in the trophies I liked is "Get the big picture." What does Richard say Jacket will never do? :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 9, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That said, having played a few hours of Hotline Miami the past week I find myself constantly yelling at the game because even if I'm facing a bat and standing practically on it, oftentimes I'll right-click and it won't pick it up. Other times, anticipating that it won't pick it up I'll double right-click and throw the loving thing across the room. It's one of my few complaints about how loving inconsistent the game tends to be.

The new engine for HM1 actually has way more troubles with this than the old one. It's one of the things I'm honestly kind of worried about with HM2.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I picked up my vinyl on friday but haven't looked inside just yet. Where's the game code located?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I picked up my vinyl on friday but haven't looked inside just yet. Where's the game code located?

Phone card attached to the inside. You can see it in the pictures I posted earlier. I removed it, got the code, then put it back in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Also figure I'd make this one time offer, is there anyone here who lives somewhere they won't ship the vinyls? I don't know if intl shipping is not an option (UK AUS CAN) but if you wanted a copy I could probably be your middleman

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I really loved playing through the first HLM and I'm super stoked for the second. Obviously loved the gameplay, soundtrack, whole nine-yards thing that it had going for it.

What I don't quite get is where you guys are coming up with this whole back story. I didn't catch anything more than being a nameless hitman that gets taunted by a group of dudes in masks and wakes up in cold sweats throughout the whole game. What am I missing out on?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Portland Sucks posted:

I really loved playing through the first HLM and I'm super stoked for the second. Obviously loved the gameplay, soundtrack, whole nine-yards thing that it had going for it.

What I don't quite get is where you guys are coming up with this whole back story. I didn't catch anything more than being a nameless hitman that gets taunted by a group of dudes in masks and wakes up in cold sweats throughout the whole game. What am I missing out on?

Did you finish the first game?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Portland Sucks posted:

Like memy said, if you finish the game there's a lot of stuff in the short 2nd campaign, I guess you'd call it. And then there's the scraps of paper you find around Jacket's apartment. And all the other dead, masked hitmen you can find around certain levels. And the stuff you learn if you find all the puzzle pieces. And then stuff that's left more vague like that Richter/Beard theories.

E: Also the group of dudes in masks he's taunted by are all in his head while he's in a coma in the hospital. If you listen to what they say and what the dates are this is made pretty clear. They also all have the same sprites as other characters in the game, each representing different parts of his own psyche/memory. The horse has the same sprite as the girl he rescues, and is the one that's sympathetic to him, the one with the body of the russians you kill all through the game hates you, and rooster is you. A lot of the storytelling is done visually like this, but it's there.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Eaten by Tigers posted:

I really think Knock Knock does a better job of showing off how loving pissed Jacket is at that point than the actual track in the gamed named Vengeance.

Bringing this back from a few pages ago to say god drat I had forgotten that this is my favorite song on the soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YobyKGXootM

I really need to play through the game again in preparation. :allears:

edit: Oh great the spoiler tags are here. Well see you after I play HM2 thread.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 9, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

RandallODim posted:

Except in Hotline Miami 2 Richter is a playable character, and the Soldier is supposed to be Beard, isn't he? And he's also a playable character or something.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dvsilverwing posted:

Except in Hotline Miami 2 Richter is a playable character, and the Soldier is supposed to be Beard, isn't he? And he's also a playable character or something.

I theorized that the Soldier might be Beard, but Beard being Richter or The Soldier doesn't disqualify him from being the other at another time.

The main problem with either theory is that Cactus said something to indicate that Beard goes on to direct Midnight Animal.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm somewhat new to STEAM. Is the counter really accurate when it says it's 1 day and 10 hours away? That's like 10am Pacific. Was I wrong in believing most games hit at Midnight?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Feenix posted:

I'm somewhat new to STEAM. Is the counter really accurate when it says it's 1 day and 10 hours away? That's like 10am Pacific. Was I wrong in believing most games hit at Midnight?

That's midnight for where Steam's servers are.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That's midnight for where Steam's servers are.

Wherrrrrre are Steam's servers?

[edit] I mean, I've always been fairly savvy with time zones. But maybe I'm just ignorant. Is there even a timezone 10 hours earlier than Pacific? I thought Hawaii and the like was earlier but that was only a couple hours and then that was the end?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 9, 2015

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oh poo poo, it's coming out tomorrow.

Maybe they intentionally made it suck, as some sort of meta commentary on the middle class' lust for blood. :ohdear:

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzs9ip-Czs

Still love this track from the old teaser trailer.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Feenix posted:

Steam releases are always 10am PST

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

For some reason I can't get the perelease comic to open up in steam. Is there a fix or an alternative way to read it?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really want to replay the first game, but my hesitation is almost entirely from having to beat the molotov car fight again. For whatever reason that's the one section where the game's random rolls of the dice (in terms of enemy placement and other things) rubs me entirely the wrong way.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, I still struggle to see how this is not the case.

I mean, Richter's got a stubble-rashed face, and there's a scene in the grocery store where you see him shaving at a bathroom sink. Unless that's supposed to indicate he's an out-of-town drifter, or something.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I really want to replay the first game, but my hesitation is almost entirely from having to beat the molotov car fight again. For whatever reason that's the one section where the game's random rolls of the dice (in terms of enemy placement and other things) rubs me entirely the wrong way.

Watch a guide if it's that bad. Duke Bilgewater, a speedrunner, has good HLM speedruns that show how to breeze through it (along with the rest of the game, natch)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's a spot you can stand in where the molotovs will kill all the enemies as they come out of the van.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
I just hope that any song from 2 works as well as: https://youtube.com/watch?v=-B2F2hiHxTE does

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfbdxS9o4j0

This one (used as a character theme for cutscenes) is the best HLM2 song I've heard. :v:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

DS4 on OSX will be fully supported this time, right? I fired up the first one to see if they added DS4 support and it seems wonky.

Jasper Chalks
Dec 23, 2011
New comic just got uploaded. Looks to be the final one.
And it's pretty much confirmed that Beard is the Soldier.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
my special edition went from to-be-delivered on Friday to to-be-delivered on Saturday to "no estimated delivery date." All that was because of snow, which is fine and understandable; then it went to to-be-delivered Tuesday. Only it now says, right under that Tuesday date, that it's on the truck for delivery today. the gently caress is going on at Fedex?

anyway, just glad to finally be getting it. hype :)

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I enjoyed the fight with Biker, but I was put off when I realized it was a boss battle with a set pattern, that ignores all hits that aren't at the "right time". I'd be interested to see if they include an AI Biker in the level editor.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

...! posted:

OK, I tried the first game awhile back and just don't get the game. I would play the way it seemed to want to be played and continually got myself killed. After many tries, I got to the second level and then I gave up. I think I'm going slow and being sneaky but it seems like I get discovered no matter what.

What am I doing wrong?

When I first played Hotline Miami I didn't think I was supposed to find ways to kill as many people as possible in the shortest time either. I have never been so wrong.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Jasper Chalks posted:

New comic just got uploaded. Looks to be the final one.
And it's pretty much confirmed that Beard is the Soldier.

Where can I view the comic?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After owning Hotline Miami for years (I got it on a PSN sale and only played a couple of chapters) I am finally playing it on the PS4. I am up to chapter 13 now (Assault), and I can't believe I stopped playing it when I originally got it. Just curious am I cheapening my experience by using the Tony mask too much? I just love the fists of fury. Also I been trying to focus and pay attention to the surreal story. While I get the Drive influence, I feel like the story was written by David Lynch. I have no idea what is going on.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

nate fisher posted:

After owning Hotline Miami for years (I got it on a PSN sale and only played a couple of chapters) I am finally playing it on the PS4. I am up to chapter 13 now (Assault), and I can't believe I stopped playing it when I originally got it. Just curious am I cheapening my experience by using the Tony mask too much? I just love the fists of fury. Also I been trying to focus and pay attention to the surreal story. While I get the Drive influence, I feel like the story was written by David Lynch. I have no idea what is going on.

Do whatever mask makes you happy. You are, after all, on a killing spree.

Jasper Chalks
Dec 23, 2011

MohShuvuu posted:

Where can I view the comic?

All of them are can be found through Steam, on the HM2 store page there should be an option to "watch" the digital comic.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

...! posted:

OK, I tried the first game awhile back and just don't get the game. I would play the way it seemed to want to be played and continually got myself killed. After many tries, I got to the second level and then I gave up. I think I'm going slow and being sneaky but it seems like I get discovered no matter what.

What am I doing wrong?

I had the same problem initially, you definitely have to be aggressive as a few people have said. Once you figure out the window of space between you and an enemy where you can punch + disable (or kill, with Tony mask) before they hit you, you're golden. Just don't try to fight guns with fists unless there is a fairly small amount of space between you and them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm going back and playing HLM1 and I don't remember the hit detection being this bad. What's up with that? Did they patch something and break it or did I just remember wrong? Several times I've had my attacks just whiff right through an enemy and their attacks have whiffed through me as well.

• Locked thread