Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

wyoming posted:

Any of you know how to deal with a dog that terrified of everything?
At first I wasn't too worried about it, because Wren is so new to everything, like she won't approach the large staircase downstairs, and won't jump into the backseat of a car, but it's become a problem since the other night. I don't know if she slipped on the rug or what, but she's now terrified to go through the kitchen to go outside, and I haven't been able to coax her to the door with treats or toys or anything, she just stares at me and pants, which is what she tends to to do when nervous, and then she'll just go in her bed and whine, and wag her tail if i ask her if she wants to go out, but she won't budge. I ended up having to pick her up and put her in the kitchen to show her it was alright, just so she'd finally eat and go outside to go to the bathroom, but I fear that might've stress her out more (though she was fine outside, running around and wagging her tail, just when it came time to go inside...), and I don't know what to do, she's far more stubborn than any other dog I've ever had.

Our dogs have trouble with the rooms that have wood floors, too. We had to put carpet runners down to let them get from the front room to their food bowls, and/or the back door. It seems to work, though one of them eyes the runners suspiciously if it he sees it moving, or, God forbid, feels it move underneath him.

Our older dog has trouble with stairs and the car, and we've had to put him on pain meds for arthritis and general old age aches and pains. It seems to help some, but we're also resigned to him being a first-floor only dog in the near future. I'm not sure what to do about the car for him. I don't really want to buy a minivan just because we have two old dogs, but I don't know any way to make my sedan more geriatric-dog-friendly.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Peristalsis posted:

Our dogs have trouble with the rooms that have wood floors, too. We had to put carpet runners down to let them get from the front room to their food bowls, and/or the back door. It seems to work, though one of them eyes the runners suspiciously if it he sees it moving, or, God forbid, feels it move underneath him.

Our older dog has trouble with stairs and the car, and we've had to put him on pain meds for arthritis and general old age aches and pains. It seems to help some, but we're also resigned to him being a first-floor only dog in the near future. I'm not sure what to do about the car for him. I don't really want to buy a minivan just because we have two old dogs, but I don't know any way to make my sedan more geriatric-dog-friendly.

Can you build a little ramp for him?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Birthday party yesterday for Abby, Sugar (one of her littermates, it was at her owner's house) and another greyhound named Elvis. I think there were 19 greyhounds there total. She is seven, and is wearing the pink kerchief around her neck in this picture.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Lots of great people at the kennel around here, but the image editing is... something. I'll share a few examples:

They'll often edit out backgrounds:

And sometimes edit different backgrounds in (note the top of the collar)

Then there are the dog of the month collages:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They need your help. You know what to do: http://blingee.com/

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
It is done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Whew, we can rest easy now.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

It is done.

hahahahahaa

Itious
Apr 27, 2006
Disturbing news from Australia: http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2015/02/16/4178920.htm

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Baby has started throwing food on the ground, so Mona is feasting! Now we're trying to train Mona to stay on her bed when we're eating, but it's so tempting when there's sausage on the floor...

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Did you high five that dog? Did you leave that dog hanging?

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I totally rubbed his belleh instead! It's so soft and smoov.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
He does that every morning. He has us trained for sure.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Rhoda- to right the egregious wrong of leaving him hanging Tortolia gives Reese a high five:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Yusssss

In return, i give you dog faces:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz Feets posted:

Rhoda- to right the egregious wrong of leaving him hanging Tortolia gives Reese a high five:

Wow, that's a tiny dog! What does he weigh? Also, :kimchi:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

D'awwww hound faces.

Tiny dog, only 75 pounds.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Huh, same size as mine, must just be a trick of the angles. Oh and btw :kimchi:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fuzz Feets posted:

Looking at the timg, I first thought that you were rolling him up in a flannel shirt to turn him into
a dog-burrito. Please do this and post a pic.

actionjackson posted:

Birthday party yesterday for Abby, Sugar (one of her littermates, it was at her owner's house) and another greyhound named Elvis. I think there were 19 greyhounds there total. She is seven, and is wearing the pink kerchief around her neck in this picture.

An excellent picture. Did they all have to give a pledge of allegiance before eating?

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I will never be able to work at Chipotle my burrito needs work

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fuzz Feets posted:

I will never be able to work at Chipotle my burrito needs work

A good first attempt at a dog-burrito, though. The dog took it in good humor, I assume?

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Oh yes, he is very tolerant of such goings on. Immediately after this picture he got up and started to leave the room, his magnificent wrapping stuck on his butt. Reese is a good hound.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

One year ago yesterday we brought home Rory.

Today I brought her some dried chicken tender treats and a quail stuffie to celebrate.

A few weeks ago, I brought her to a local general practice for her vaccinations since mine doesn't offer them for some dumb reason. This is her official photo in their medical record.

:downs:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Here's my hound barking like an idiot. Sorry for the vertical camera. http://youtu.be/vZpSwKQdhC0

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Here's my hound reacting to the sound of your hound barking like an idiot:

:ohdear:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Happy gotcha day Rory! And your radar ears!

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

My wife and I want to look into adopting a greyhound, but there's one problem. My parents live with us and they have a Yorkiepoo. She's bigger than a mini Schnauzer, but is still a small dog. Would that cause a problem with a typical greyhound?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Mine goes nuts for cats (although less so in the past year), but doesn't care at all for my friend's tiny 15lb dog.

Also getting her teeth cleaned tomorrow. FInally, my dog's face won't smell like an open grave!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BobbyDrake posted:

My wife and I want to look into adopting a greyhound, but there's one problem. My parents live with us and they have a Yorkiepoo. She's bigger than a mini Schnauzer, but is still a small dog. Would that cause a problem with a typical greyhound?

Not at all, the adoption group will categorize their greys as being safe or unsafe with small dogs, cats, children, etc. Some are, some aren't.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Mine is mildly scarred of small dogs but is otherwise fine with them. He mostly gets upset and confused when they yap at him for no reason.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

For the group that we adopted from, they do ️the profiling at the track and select the dog for you that matches your needs. We have two cats so ours needed to be cat friendly and they did a great job picking him for us.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
He doesn't even try to eat the cats when they stick their heads in his food bowl at dinner, though we would hardly blame him.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

various cheeses posted:

Mine goes nuts for cats (although less so in the past year), but doesn't care at all for my friend's tiny 15lb dog.

Also getting her teeth cleaned tomorrow. FInally, my dog's face won't smell like an open grave!

That's periodontal disease -- mouth rot. Feed raw meaty bones a few times a week if you want to prevent having to deal with it ever again.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We joined a group of greyhound owners this morning for an all-muzzled off leash play date thing in a closed baseball field. Everything went smoothly. Way better than freaking out about random aggressive breeds or tiny rabbit looking dogs showing up at a dog park. My wife has photos on her good camera, I will get some posted once she gets them out of raw format.

We explained Jake's snarkiness with other dogs to another owner. She questioned whether he was better with females vs males, since hers pulls the same attitude but only with males. I hadn't ever given it much thought before. Thinking about it, long ago we brought Jake to a friend's house, they have a small white mutt, possibly terrier and shi tzu, and he let her literally crawl on top of him and go to sleep while he was laying down. I think she may be right!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Wren has a relaxed a bit and gotten more friendly. :3:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

:buddy:
A good dog.

And Tess is a classy lady.

rhoga fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 9, 2015

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Have you ever seen a greyhound on a greyhound (bus)? Jake got to ride this bus over the weekend. We walked to the very back where he jumped up on the seats like he owned them.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Have you ever seen a greyhound on a greyhound (bus)? Jake got to ride this bus over the weekend. We walked to the very back where he jumped up on the seats like he owned them.

Certainly not something Remy would do. He's terrified of buses because they're big and make noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Just stopped by after finally getting through this whole thread to pimp the instagram account my girlfriend has for pics of our Whippet. If you're ever down, Sighthound pictures will cheer you up, no matter what.
He's 18 months and probably the Best Dog ever. She hasn't uploaded anything in a month or so since she's been away, but it'll pick up again, and meanwhile there's a bunch of beautiful Sighthound pics for you guys to enjoy.

https://instagram.com/whippet_meesha/