Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Say Nothing posted:

Rene Magritte - Surprise Answer

Out of this whole week of Magritte covers, why pick this one to explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

So no candy canes, and beachballs, and whatever for the kid when she got the rabbit back? Lack of consistancy... Gave it a 1.

Jesus, that kid... :suicide:

Alabaster White posted:

Is it sending the kid for cancer screening and speech therapy?

:golfclap:

Easily 2 feet of snow still on the ground here, but we're rocking mid to high 40s all week here in NE Ohio. Time to play volleyball in shorts.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

9 Chickweed Lane 3/8/2004

Sleep-raping would be next, I guess.

Zits

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

Ahh yes, original Pokemon from 20 years ago. That's certainly a reference the kids these days will catch. :psyduck:

And Gilchrist says, "You're right! Back to the country stars from 60 years ago that nobody but me cares about!"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (March 10, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

...and that's when I realized this wasn't about comic books anymore.

Classic Popeye Sunday delivers a Pick-Me-Up Bouquet. (c. 1941)

A Pogo interlude, in which we take in the wonders of nature. (February 17, 1957, click for somewhat larger)

Out Our Way (October 8-9, 1926)

Somehow that swayback horse is more horrifying in three-quarters profile.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Manuel Calavera posted:

Ahh yes, original Pokemon from 20 years ago. That's certainly a reference the kids these days will catch. :psyduck:

I think it's actually a reference to the theme from "Rocky." Which is even older (1976) but it is kind of a pop cultural trope. Or was.

Please do not construe this as me defending Gilchrist

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're talking about the pictures on the newspaper.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
I would think any kid who plays Pokemon would know what the original Pokemon were since the games still number and list them in order of their creation when you bring up the full list of all Pokemon. Also the original series is on Netflix.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

TofuDiva posted:

I think it's actually a reference to the theme from "Rocky." Which is even older (1976) but it is kind of a pop cultural trope. Or was.

Please do not construe this as me defending Gilchrist

Too late, we've construed it. But I think TofuDiva is referring to the Pokemon pictures in panel one.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Manuel Calavera posted:

Those same Pokemon are still being used in the games and merchandising, so there's no reason a kid wouldn't recognize them.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

And introducing Outland

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Andorra posted:

And Gilchrist says, "You're right! Back to the country stars from 60 years ago that nobody but me cares about!"

At least those ones I can ignore. I can't let a dated reference that I grew up on go unnoticed :v:

E - Pikachu is used for most of the marketing. Not so much Bulbasaur and Charmander.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Heathcliff

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Just sitting here in my own filth, totally normal cat thing!

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
One of my kittens slept in his litter box when I first got him. After two nights of that, I looked it up and learned that kittens are comfortable in enclosed spaces. Gave him a small box with a blanket and he slept in that instead of the litter box.

The other kitten spent a lot of time trying to bury stuff when she was done. Switched litters. It took two tries, but now she's done pretty quickly.

Heathcliff makes me feel like a superawesome cat owner. Just like My Cat From Hell does.

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

Mr. Squishy posted:

comment rephrased for real intention: "I knew they were Magrittes all along, you didn't have to tell me"
or, perhaps: "you only recognized that one? I knew they were Magrittes all week, you ignoramus"

ummm, maybe that was the only one they noticed? maybe it was a favorite that they remembered and were happy to see it show up somewhere?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Thanks Nancy for reminding me that there was a terrible Pokemon Newspaper Comic

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Wow, we sure went a long way for that one.

Pros & Cons

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Dr. Dos posted:

Thanks Nancy for reminding me that there was a terrible Pokemon Newspaper Comic

That article confuses me, as it seems to be implying the bizarrely inconsistent tone of the Rugrats strip was not pure gold.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Retail

Man, Retail's art and writing has really gotten a lot more half-assed over the past three years. I guess shipping is free now though.

2012:

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
To be fair, Retail only has like six jokes. He has to shake them up a bit so they're not as obvious as repeats.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

:smith:

Juliet Jones

I'm guessing identical twins.

GLUG

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

Yaaaaaay. It'd only get better if Ben started giving Mace free boxing lessons.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ms Boods posted:

I can think of a happier and more heartwarming version of this strip.

You mean like the two or three times Calvin and Hobbes did the same thing?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Squishy posted:

DC Money posted:

comment rephrased for real intention: "I knew they were Magrittes all along, you didn't have to tell me"
or, perhaps: "you only recognized that one? I knew they were Magrittes all week, you ignoramus"

ummm, maybe that was the only one they noticed? maybe it was a favorite that they remembered and were happy to see it show up somewhere?

I identified that one because I thought it was one of Magritte's more obscure works, although I could be wrong about that.

Now let's see Zippy interpretation of Magritte's Le Viol.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Darthemed posted:

And introducing Outland

See, I'd read most of Bloom County in collections that my parents own, but I've never seen any of Outland. I've been looking forward to this.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My points: 1) I miss Wee Pals. :( 2) Did we get every Wee Pals posted, up to the last one? I'm struggling to remember.

We did. It actually took me a while to realize we were in repeats because they started grabbing old ones and changing the year on them.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Farmers actually hate daylight savings time because the cows and such need to be milked on a consistent schedule.

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

We did. It actually took me a while to realize we were in repeats because they started grabbing old ones and changing the year on them.
I really wish GoComics would stop doing that. Just put the original publication date on them! :argh:

Magic in a Minute

You said five games in total, meaning that if one of them played "all five" games then they must have been playing together. The correct solution is that three of the games were co-op! :argh:

Mandrake the Magician (1942-11-22)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

Whoa, whoa, Slylock. Don't you need a warrant for that? Also, where can I get a goldfish the size of a tuna?
Randy Raccoon foolishly surrendered his rights by challenging "anyone to find the ring on him." Know your rights, kids!

F Minus

The headband is what makes this one for me.

Mary Worth

I actually went to Comics Kingdom to get the drop panels today because it was legitimately jarring to me to read this without them.

And no one calls you "Matchmaker Mary" Mary. Admit it.

Rex Morgan MD

So many emotions in that last panel. That may be the best Rex face I've seen.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't think anybody ever actually bought it. You just save it and repost it as needed, like so:

He's only gone if you let him go, buddy!
The happiest I've been to see McEldowney! :toot:
:moomin:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I may be 12 years old, but "The Bum Boat" still cracks me the gently caress up./

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Ms Boods posted:

I can think of a happier and more heartwarming version of this strip.

I gotta admit, my thoughts took a darker, crueller turn, but that 'baby talk' makes me irrationally angry. Gah!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Regarding that plan in Dick Tracy: it seems like a lot more trouble and risk to steal trucks when you could just get them legitimately and avoid having the police tipped off about something going on. It's not like these idiots had any trouble smuggling ten shipping containers of men into the country, so why is it so hard to just get some drat trucks from the uhaul?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

The headband is what makes this one for me.

Apparently this cow 'milks' pure cream normally. (You can't churn raw milk into butter, you ignorant urbanite! :bahgawd:)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I actually went to Comics Kingdom to get the drop panels today because it was legitimately jarring to me to read this without them.

And no one calls you "Matchmaker Mary" Mary. Admit it. .

"Even if it turns out better than I planned." So ideally, people are only allowed to be exactly as happy as Mary intended, but she generously doesn't begrudge them if things turn out better.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts, in which spring training is off to a rip-roaring start. (March 11, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

The Funky Winkerbean blog posted two more installments of the "history" of BatTom comics, and yes, it's a totally straight-faced history of the fictional company. As for what else is on there, I'll let you discover that for yousrself.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 11-12, 1926)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Up yours, Pete. This whole story was your idea, don't try to pass the buck to the editors now.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Geomancing posted:

See, I'd read most of Bloom County in collections that my parents own, but I've never seen any of Outland. I've been looking forward to this.

Agreed! Thanks Darthmed, for posting it. In 1989, I was freshly married, and transitioning from the "party all night" phase to the "settling down and starting a family" phase, so I really had no time to read the comics section (or any section, usually) of the paper then. Also, back then, I don't believe our local paper even carried Outland, so I missed the whole run. This'll be nice.

Jane's World

Well, that's sort of a weird installment. It's like waiting for a murder or something.

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

I'm pretty sure I've seen Sergio Aragones do this in Mad Magazine, but with hippies instead.

9 Chickweed Lane 3/9/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

:rolleyes:

There might be some truth to that.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

I got chia seeds stuck in my teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I'm laughing at that last Veggie Frankie panel.

• Locked thread