Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

How? Unlike the grey nothing, a storm doesn't make the bottom 2k visible, if you want to see anything, you need to get above 6k. You're fighting blind at every step otherwise, you at a disadvantage for not going higher.

Because no one is going to climb through 3km of clouds on the off chance that the enemy team even bothered to do the same. I personally don't even bother climbing through cloud banks if they're 3km or higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

jadebullet posted:

BTW, has anyone tried out the T-126(prototype T-50)? It looks like a cute tiny T-34. I am kind of tempted to pick it up but I wanted to know what others thought of it.

It has better frontal armor than both the T-50 and T-34, sides are similar, back is only 30mm. It's gun mantlet is not as thick and easily penetrated and it's slow in both accleration and cruising speed. It's turret traverse is also terrible. It feels more like a miniature heavy tank than a light tank in how it moves... a heavy tank with a big frontal weakspot around its gun and a 45mm main-gun with only a DT machinegun to back it up (have fun reloading every ~60 shots).

It's still fun, but the T-50 is the better tank.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Since when has anyone in this game ever gone 'Hmm, clouds here! Better fly higher!'? They always go lower. Every time. I can't blame them, because on those maps that are filled with giant God Clouds, there's no telling where they end. I'm honestly tempted to leave Bulge every time I see the sky is nothing but a slate-grey hellhole because it isn't fun when the entire map is clouds clouds clouds.

I guess pubbies might want to treat a storm the same but you can't even see the end of the runway when you spawn in. Unless pubbies plan to bury their planes in the ground going lower doesn't mean escape it, and a storm is map wide, there is no horizontal travel which gets you out of it. The only way to get visibility is to climb to 6k, otherwise you're more likely to run into an enemy rather than actually shoot one down.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

A low hanging storm just means that pubbies get to shoot jeeps with impunity. I've played maps that have had clouds from < 1000 m up to 4 km and it just results in one team (usually Russians) jumping everyone under the clouds while the climbers fly around for 10 minutes before they realize that the entire enemy team is below the clouds. At this point, the climbers are heavily outnumbered and trying to find the enemy is like sticking your dick into a hornet nest.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Is the duck worth a drat in popping tanks in RB? I tried taking the B-2 out with 20mm for armored targets and couldn't penetrate shermans from the back. Wondering if the 30mm or 37mm can do it, or if I should go with the 75mm on the B-3.

This no-markers poo poo in the events owns.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Propagandist posted:

Is the duck worth a drat in popping tanks in RB? I tried taking the B-2 out with 20mm for armored targets and couldn't penetrate shermans from the back. Wondering if the 30mm or 37mm can do it, or if I should go with the 75mm on the B-3.

The 30mm works quite well and has enough ammo for several kills.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Propagandist posted:

Its good for AI tanks but its bad for CARB

also try and get good at dunking shots from 750 meters out :baby:

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 9, 2015

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
AI tanks in Air Battles are infinitely squishier than AI or Player tanks in CARB for some reason. In air battles you can kill light tanks with 7.92mm fire and medium tanks with .50s

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Since when has anyone in this game ever gone 'Hmm, clouds here! Better fly higher!'? They always go lower. Every time. I can't blame them, because on those maps that are filled with giant God Clouds, there's no telling where they end. I'm honestly tempted to leave Bulge every time I see the sky is nothing but a slate-grey hellhole because it isn't fun when the entire map is clouds clouds clouds.

Make a volcanic eruption map where toxic gasses melt your plane below 4k, set every air battle event there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Orange Mage posted:

AI tanks in Air Battles are infinitely squishier than AI or Player tanks in CARB for some reason. In air battles you can kill light tanks with 7.92mm fire and medium tanks with .50s

You can definitely kill Pz4s and Shermans with .50s in RB Tank Battles too.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

For this "P39N-0" event, is there any way to see my progress? I'm sure i've killed way more than 20 ground vehicles but I haven't received an item or anything for Stage I.

I'm only a few days into playing this but i'm having fun, it's a nice game to play for a bit to wind down after work.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Eej posted:

You can definitely kill Pz4s and Shermans with .50s in RB Tank Battles too.

This requires either Soviet or American AP belts and a nearly straight down dive at like .5km though. #JustPeshkaThings

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Windmill Hut posted:

For this "P39N-0" event, is there any way to see my progress? I'm sure i've killed way more than 20 ground vehicles but I haven't received an item or anything for Stage I.

I'm only a few days into playing this but i'm having fun, it's a nice game to play for a bit to wind down after work.

Check your profile, then look at the achievements tab.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ghetto wormhole posted:

This requires either Soviet or American AP belts and a nearly straight down dive at like .5km though. #JustPeshkaThings

Oh no, sorry I was referring to how you can run around in AA trucks and kill players in medium tanks, not just AI ones.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Do all of the Japanese planes bounce around everywhere when you turn or is it just the early ones? It's really weird to have your plane tilt up or down every time you try to turn

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Shanakin posted:

Check your profile, then look at the achievements tab.

Thanks! It has to actually be enemy players no AI, that's where I was going wrong. I'm a scrub who sucks at shooting other plans so I just go for the AI tanks, I guess i'll have to change.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Is it actually possible to kill a Pz III/IV with the IL2's 23mm AP rounds in CARB? All I ever do track is damage. No problems killing half-tracks though.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

god bless the first sherman, able to penn and kill all tanks at BR 2.7 reliably. :patriot:

Except the KV-1 which I thankfully have only seen once.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Mr Chips posted:

Is it actually possible to kill a Pz III/IV with the IL2's 23mm AP rounds in CARB? All I ever do track is damage. No problems killing half-tracks though.

The most damage one can seem to do nowadays is set the engine on fire - for that you need to be coming in at a relatively high angle and hit the top armour.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
how do you tell AI tanks from player controlled tanks?

(in arcade, no-markers probably makes it a matter of guessing how stupid the AI is compared to the players)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Maps with AI tanks in the event use a lower BR of tanks for the bots so it is pretty obvious. In Arcade they get a role icon but no name tag.

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013
Applied for LAME as Bridgeburner

----

General question regarding tank crews - what is worth spending precious Crew skill points in? I've hoarded them from my time spent playing planes, but I'm unsure what is worthwhile sinking the points into

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010

Bridgeburner_ posted:

Applied for LAME as Bridgeburner

----

General question regarding tank crews - what is worth spending precious Crew skill points in? I've hoarded them from my time spent playing planes, but I'm unsure what is worthwhile sinking the points into

I'm putting them in Driving skill and Reloading skill, seems to be the two most important things in GF, mobility and rate of fire. Bad I'm bad at tanks, so

Lately I've been avoiding tanks without MGs because they're extremely handy for a few reasons:

1. You can mow down trees to get better firing lanes when defending.
2. They work as "smoke-screens" when engaged and retreating. Stuck with a broken barrel? Shoot in front of the enemy to kick up a cloud of dust that lower his visibility. Artillery works too, it's pretty ineffective to kill tanks with but it's a good concealment shroud. Does it damage yourself or friendly tanks?
3. I love the sound of the MG34 when you fire it in gunner's view.

Also, I've tried WT on my workstation in Cinema settings, pushing 100 FPS... GOD this game is beautiful, I don't think I can go back to my Macbook Pro, I get 30 FPS with the lowest settings possible. It's like playing a PS2 era game. Also the sound of the cannons are really well made (I'm a mixing engineer, if you're playing ground forces without a subwoofer you're missing half of the experience).

Horrido fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 9, 2015

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

Horrido posted:

2. They work as "smoke-screens" when engaged and retreating. Stuck with a broken barrel? Shoot in front of the enemy to kick up a cloud of dust that lower his visibility. Artillery works too, it's pretty ineffective to kill tanks with but it's a good concealment shroud. Does it damage yourself or friendly tanks?

Yes, arty don't care about what it hits. Managed to take myself out with my own barrage once even, that's how I found it out that friendly fire isn't :v:

As for tank crews, don't forget to boost vitality as well.

EDIT: And repair, a good crew shaves off many vital seconds on the repair timer.

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010

Max Manus posted:

Yes, arty don't care about what it hits. Managed to take myself out with my own barrage once even, that's how I found it out that friendly fire isn't :v:

As for tank crews, don't forget to boost vitality as well.

EDIT: And repair, a good crew shaves off many vital seconds on the repair timer.

Ah, I've been pretty lucky then, last 3-4 games I've been charging tanks blindly into my own artillery fire.
Last match I called arty on a very close T-34 above a ridge, I charged him and right when I was about to crest the hill he was sitting in top off a arty shell hit in front of me, giving me time to knock him out without him seeing me. Basically in a split second he saw an explosion followed by a Pnz.IV-f2 charging him head-on, emerging from the dust cloud.

BLITZKRIEG :black101:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Oh I'm an idiot.... I just remembered and was reminded by this thread about upgrading your crews!

I've got one crew sitting on 600 skill points :cripes:

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
I have never once been on a team that understands the air domination game mode.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm a returning player and restarted this weekend after a long break. The game has become a lot of fun and the tanks are hilarious. I had a mad game last night on the Carpathian map. Never played it before so took my pz3j to the A control point and began capping. I then pretty much had 7or 8 enemy tanks try and take it from me, and with gently caress all support from the rest of the team who were pretty much nowhere to be seen I managed to hold off the enemy all game without dying. Managed to kill about 8 enemy and cap the area twice. It was as silly as the final scene of Fury.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Woop scoffed at the Romanian He112, mentioning that the A-0 is the best. Incredulously, I believed that the single cannon would be insufficient for my poor aim.

Took out the A-0 for a few RB matches: http://youtu.be/croBw8UJc60

Good fun.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I read that as, "I took out the A-10 for a few matches" and just had a wonderful mental image of a Warthog shooting down prop planes in a WWII game.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Skoll posted:

I read that as, "I took out the A-10 for a few matches" and just had a wonderful mental image of a Warthog shooting down prop planes in a WWII game.

There is an A-10 in the game already with a big gun and is good at shooting apart WWII planes.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Got my undergunned Bolshevikobra, realized that the one true path to farming kills was driving early model T-34s around and hoping I got downranked. Matchmaker gods were smiling on me because I was promptly dumped into three pretty low BR games in a row filled with mouthbreathers and windowlickers, who I then monkeystomped with both tanks and bombers. Managed ~15 kills / game, it felt good to be a mostly invulnerable murder machine, especially after playing higher ranked stuff where you just die when someone sees you.

epipen posted:

I have never once been on a team that understands the air domination game mode.

I don't really understand it either since you pretty much spawn in the zone and also it's arcade so everyone just furballs at the halfway point, which is also in the zone. Eventually one team finally runs out of planes and the other team wins, unless there is something I'm missing :confused:

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 9, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I don't really understand it either since you pretty much spawn in the zone and also it's arcade so everyone just furballs at the halfway point, which is also in the zone. Eventually one team finally runs out of planes and the other team wins, unless there is something I'm missing :confused:

It's Murphy's law, the one gamemode where all you need to do to win is this is exactly the one where pubbies will do anything BUT this.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I guess I've been lucky since so far I've just had to deal with idiots hamstringing us by quitting after a single death. Sure it won't be too many games where everyone just putters off into the sunset in PBYs or whatever while the few people playing the objective just get arcade swarmed to death.

Also when I was flying this weekend I noticed that more than half the time I ended up in an air domination battle. Is this for an event I didn't hear about or just the normal ratio or I just had some weird luck?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

McSpanky posted:

It's Murphy's law, the one gamemode where all you need to do to win is this is exactly the one where pubbies will do anything BUT this.

exactly, they dogfight till the cows come home on ground strike maps but suddenly when there's a cap point in the air they gently caress off into the enemy spawn or off to the sides

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Last night I had a really good game in my m4a1 76 sherman sim battle. The entire enemy team was stugs and jagdpanzers, and I managed to kill five of them with default ammo before I was killed. In the end it came down to me versus two jagds and I bounced a shot off his bottom glacis and died.

Best part was when I recreated the scene from band of brothers where they wait for the stug to crest the hill before smacking it in the undercarriage.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The F6F really does feel like cheating in Carb. Picture the scene: We've been winning all round tickets are low... the enemy does a last second rush to the cap, kills everyone and starts to take it. My team being retarded is nothing but M-16 gun trucks and my hellcat.

All of the tanks in the cap die to a well placed bomb load, drop flaps, high G-Turn and rocket the guy that's running as fast as he can into the cap. Some dope in a guntruck slowly waddles into the cap and wins the game for us.

Errazial
Aug 27, 2008
I've started to play this again after about a year away and I can apparently get a free plane if I get two more Best Squad awards.
Is there an easy way to get some squadmates without dealing with headsets, mumble and stuff?

Related to that, what's the deal with the squadrons listed in the OP? Do you just apply to whichever has room?

And finally, are there any good educational streams around? I could use a refresher course on doing more than just turn-fight in random furballs.

Errazial fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 9, 2015

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

The F6F really does feel like cheating in Carb. Picture the scene: We've been winning all round tickets are low... the enemy does a last second rush to the cap, kills everyone and starts to take it. My team being retarded is nothing but M-16 gun trucks and my hellcat.

All of the tanks in the cap die to a well placed bomb load, drop flaps, high G-Turn and rocket the guy that's running as fast as he can into the cap. Some dope in a guntruck slowly waddles into the cap and wins the game for us.

The F6F feels like cheating in air-only RB too, but in Carb it's absurd. Best BR 3.0 fighter in the game, and one of the highest fighter-bomber ordinance loads in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

The F6F feels like cheating in air-only RB too, but in Carb it's absurd. Best BR 3.0 fighter in the game, and one of the highest fighter-bomber ordinance loads in the game.

Wait until the late-war Corsair is put in. the F4U-4 series was documented as being able to carry up to 6,000 pounds in ordinance. It also beat the poo poo out of the P-51 in terms of climbing and speed.

• Locked thread