Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know why they're using the past participle forms for their verbs instead of the simple past. Most German writing doesn't use the "haben + past-participle" form when talking about past events specifically because it takes up more space. :shrug:

That having been said, Dragon Blaze. :woop: Great in limited. Useless in constructed with the possible exception of red agro that tops out at Thunderbreak Regent + Stormbreath. I would probably still rather run Roast, though. =\

I guess its functionally just searing blood Lightning Strike in a dedicated Dragon deck but yeah, its only truly useful to announce the spell as "FUS RO DAH'.

If people are really making a dragon deck, I don't actually think they'd play roast. Because you just fly over everything and use Crater's Claws.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

This doesn't seem right - this seems way better than the other three.

Its shock with instant speed discard, it always has a relevant mode.

Wow, 2 Instant Speed Discard spells in standard at the same time, that's pretty cool. Also I really like this

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
unban bloodbraid

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I know its far ahead of the game, but with maro's promise to be more aggresive with reprints in a world without core sets, I've been making a mental list of Zendikar block cards that are prime for reprints in Zendikar 2.0. either due to need or backwards compatiblity with Tarkir.
Keywords aside as we don't know which, if any will make it back this time around.

Dragonmaster Outcast (more dragons! works great with DTK)
Consume the Meek (Destroy all morphs and manifests)
Enemy Fetchlands to fill out the cycle and delve enablers
Mnemonic Wall (prowess and rebound)
Goblin Guide (needs a reprint unless he's in MM)
Gravitational Shift or Gravity Well (makes dragons more awesome OR gently caress those dragons!)
Kiln Fiend (jeskai's best friend)
Leatherback baloth (ferocious)
Mortician Beetle (exploit bonus)
Relic Crush (alot of enchantments about)
Sphinx Bone Wand or Surrakar Spellblade
Terra Stomper (1 man formidable)
Twitch (prowess)
Vengevine (turns on fericous, raid and needs a reprint)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Wow, 2 Instant Speed Discard spells in standard at the same time, that's pretty cool. Also I really like this

Shock and make them discard one aren't worth more than 1 mana each though...This card is good but I still believe that Sluimgar's Command is the best one despite the 5 mana.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Shock and make them discard one aren't worth more than 1 mana each though...This card is good but I still believe that Sluimgar's Command is the best one despite the 5 mana.

You can't evaluate a Command card by just taking the 2 most generic options and assuming that's the way you always use it. The value is that you can discard a card in top-deck mode, shock a creature and get a 2-for-1 on a Perilous Vault or Whip of Erebos, or kill a creature and re-draw a good creature that got his with removal, etc.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

You can't evaluate a Command card by just taking the 2 most generic options and assuming that's the way you always use it. The value is that you can discard a card in top-deck mode, shock a creature and get a 2-for-1 on a Perilous Vault or Whip of Erebos, or kill a creature and re-draw a good creature that got his with removal, etc.

I understand that. I'm just saying that the power level on that card isn't as high as some of the others.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lets Pickle posted:

I like the way that sounds a lot better than having a bunch of abilities that read "use this only once per turn", but it doesn't work the same way rules wise. If I activate Rootwalla and you Snakeform my Rootwalla at any point, Rootwalla will end up being a 3/3. It will be a 1/1 and the +2/+2 will still apply. If i give it base power 4, then Snakeform later in the turn will override that and Rootwalla will be a 1/1.. So they're not functionally the same, but designers may choose to use the setting base power/toughness template in the future anyway because it is more intuitive rules-wise.

On a side note, I really love the art for Crater Elemental, it is a giant walking cauldron of lava.

Additionally, if you template it as "Base power and toughness" instead of "Activate once per turn" then you are less vulnerable to being blown out, if you have the mana to activate twice, since you can just activate the ability in response to the bolt, or whatever. Assuming it's an ability that affects toughness in this case.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dragon's Roar looks really good, and it seems like there's almost no downside to running that if you're already running Stormbreath for red-based removal.

I think my favorite part about the 'dragons matter' instants and sorceries that we've seen is that you can either reveal a dragon from your hand or just have one on the board when you cast them in order to get the additional effect.

That said I think I'll be playing Roast instead, it fucks up Rhino way too hard right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Dragon's Roar looks really good, and it seems like there's almost no downside to running that if you're already running Stormbreath for red-based removal.

I think my favorite part about the 'dragons matter' instants and sorceries that we've seen is that you can either reveal a dragon from your hand or just have one on the board when you cast them in order to get the additional effect.

That said I think I'll be playing Roast instead, it fucks up Rhino way too hard right now.

There is a A LOT of downside to running this instead of Lightning Strike. I do agree with you about Roast since it hits both Rhino and Tasigur.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mcmagic posted:

Shock and make them discard one aren't worth more than 1 mana each though...

Not when each of them is costing you a card, perhaps. But when you can get both of them for a single card, they suddenly look much better.

An instant that lets you draw a card for U would be terrible. An instant that lets you draw two cards for UU would be amazing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Not when each of them is costing you a card, perhaps. But when you can get both of them for a single card, they suddenly look much better.

An instant that lets you draw a card for U would be terrible. An instant that lets you draw two cards for UU would be amazing.

Yeah, But shock + make them discard one isn't as good as drawing 2 cards. I also think that being able to shock for 1 mana is VERY important in this standard which makes this card less playable.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 9, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

At least her official flavor text is less torture-y.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There was a deck at an IQ that I was at yesterday that was pretty much a standard infect deck with become emence + temur battle rage. I horribly punted vs him but it's something to be aware of in the meta I guess because he made top 8 and it was a 80+ person event.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Uh....

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 9, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edit: There is actually no red one in the article, I imagine it was probably an oversight.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hot drat! :swoon:

This is the only card with Formidable I like so far and Formidable isn't even the reason!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mono-R devotion!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Haha, they haven't printed hate like that in a while...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Weird card since the copy isn't attacking. It just sits there for the rest of combat.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Haha, they haven't printed hate like that in a while...

Theros.

It was all just self-hate though.

mcmagic posted:

Weird card since the copy isn't attacking. It just sits there for the rest of combat.

I guess you just put it on Siege Rhino. When you're playing 4 colors.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Theros.

It was all just self-hate though.

You want to put it on an Aven Surveyor in draft.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You put it on an opposing creature, dipshits.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Put it on hornet queen, poo poo out hornets every turn.

It's a bad card but it's cute and someone will enjoy it in that format.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I think you're intended to enchant an opponent's creature so you get a copy of their attacker to block with, though enchanting your own creature to get ETB triggers is another option.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Toshimo posted:

It's even depicted in the art come on guys.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

You put it on an opponent's Siege Rhino and watch them never attack with it ever.

And with all of this high quality burn, I'm thinking Satyr Firedancer may see a resurgence. Him and Soulfire as two drops and just all the burn until you drop Thunderbreak Regent/Stormbreath.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Or this... Yeah i just thought it's awesome Siege Rhino hate. Beaten.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

You put it on an opponent's Siege Rhino and watch them never attack with it ever.

And with all of this high quality burn, I'm thinking Satyr Firedancer may see a resurgence. Him and Soulfire as two drops and just all the burn until you drop Thunderbreak Regent/Stormbreath.

That makes way more sense.

Count Bleck posted:

Hot drat! :swoon:

This is the only card with Formidable I like so far and Formidable isn't even the reason!

I can't believe they have 2 Mythics with Formidable on it. That just reeks of "we couldn't think of anything that sounded Mythic so we stapled a big splashy win-more onto a regular rare."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 9, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There is still a cycle of rare lands to be revealed right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

There is still a cycle of rare lands to be revealed right?

What makes you think there HAS to be a rare land cycle?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

What makes you think there HAS to be a rare land cycle?

Isn't there usually a rare cycle in a big set?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:tviv:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Isn't there usually a rare cycle in a big set?

I don't think ROE had one, did it?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Well hello there! That's a real shot in the arm for control

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

Nah. Disdainful Stroke is just much better.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AlternateNu posted:

It's a Guard Duty that costs twice as much mana and that your opponent can choose to ignore and attack through anyway if it becomes profitable for them. I guess it's a rare for complexity reasons, because power-level wise it's an uncommon at best in a Limited environment.

No way it sees any play outside of gimmicking with ETB triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Control runs how many actual dragons?

• Locked thread