Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Panty Saluter posted:

Will do :)

Also I just remembered that I oriented the HSF so that it blows upward, theoretically taking advantage of natural convection. Maybe I should have it blow front to back since I might be drawing hot GPU air. Hrm.

Air is a poor conductor of heat, so you want to ignore convection and concentrate on physical contact (that is, pushing fresh air onto hot metal). Imagine being in a hot room with a ceiling fan: it's much more comfortable when the ceiling fan is blowing air directly onto you, even if the air near the ceiling is warmer than the air near the ground due to convection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So that is where caseflow would come in I presume...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ziploc posted:

How old is too old?

If it's dry like AS5 that's been sandwiched between a processor and a heatsink that you're cleaning off to repaste, except it's dry coming out the tube, it's probably no good anymore. You *have* been storing your AS5 with the black syringe tip down, right?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think I did it wrong, now I'm hitting low 80s. Maybe I used too little paste now? I don't know. It's like I've never built a computer before. :sigh:

On the upside the temp comes right back down as soon as I kill Prime95...can't be too bad in that case I guess :v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Panty Saluter posted:

I think I did it wrong, now I'm hitting low 80s. Maybe I used too little paste now? I don't know. It's like I've never built a computer before. :sigh:

On the upside the temp comes right back down as soon as I kill Prime95...can't be too bad in that case I guess :v:

It might just be the break in period for the paste, it can take a little while for the temps to normalize right after applying new paste.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I just wanted to add from the earlier convo that with the typical monitor you tear and stutter constantly. It's just fast enough, for the most part, that its hard to point out and say "that's tearing"... until its bad enough. That's why (I assume) with g-sync or freesync you can have two identical framerates and feel the one with the variable refresh looks so much smoother, even if the normal monitor doesn't actually look like its tearing.

For example this is an average of 89 fps, and a smooth looking 89 fps at that.

Its probably tearing almost every frame, even if just a little.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Panty Saluter posted:

Nope, got an exhaust fan on the heatsink. I'm using HwInfo, what else is good?
On which side of the heatsink do you have your CPU fan installed? It's supposed to push air onto the heatsink, not pull air through it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ziploc posted:

How old is too old?

Second opinion here, Arctic Silver is crap, even if you buy a fresh tube it is probably New Old Stock that has been sitting for a decade.

I put a fresh coat of it on a delidded 4770k and had very bad temps, did it over again precisely and got the same bad temps, finally bought a syringe of Notcua NT-H1 for 5 bucks and it dropped me about 20c doing the same application method a 3rd time.

Between that and the NT-H1 tube having enough for like 20 applications, and being non-conductive while the AS5 conducts, I'd say save yourself the frustration and get the good stuff. Noctua also makes some of the best coolers and they toss in a tube of NT-H1 with pretty much all of them.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

Second opinion here, Arctic Silver is crap, even if you buy a fresh tube it is probably New Old Stock that has been sitting for a decade.

I put a fresh coat of it on a delidded 4770k and had very bad temps, did it over again precisely and got the same bad temps, finally bought a syringe of Notcua NT-H1 for 5 bucks and it dropped me about 20c doing the same application method a 3rd time.

Between that and the NT-H1 tube having enough for like 20 applications, and being non-conductive while the AS5 conducts, I'd say save yourself the frustration and get the good stuff. Noctua also makes some of the best coolers and they toss in a tube of NT-H1 with pretty much all of them.

The benchmarks puts NT-H1 with the best of them and it's cheap. Definitely one of the easiest pastes to work worth, used it on dozens of machines and never had to reapply it once unlike AS5 and others

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

td4guy posted:

On which side of the heatsink do you have your CPU fan installed? It's supposed to push air onto the heatsink, not pull air through it.

Pushing through.

I managed to mount both of my case fans backwards. I'm still hitting 80 with Prime95 but that is a real outlier so I'm going to run it a bit and see how it feels.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just bought a GTX 970 to replace a creaking 460. I've noticed straight off the bat that Far Cry4 now runs lovely which is what I wanted really. I did give Rise of the Triad a go and it kind of jerked a bit while playing and eventually crashed. I know the GTX970 is a very decent card so I wasnt expecting that really. Some games have also stuttered now and then. I'm running with a i5-2500k (not overclocked), 8GB of RAM and everything is on an SSD so I'm quite sure I've not gimped myself too much.

I'd like to know, if anyone has any tips, what would be the best steps to make sure everything is running top of the line. Should I have clean wiped the OS rather than removed all drivers, are there any utilities I should run to ensure things are optimum, are there any nvidia control panel configurations I should have as a must? I appreciate this is fairly open ended just want to hear other people's tips if they have any. Is it time to perhaps upgrade the processor too?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

There's seriously no need to upgrade that CPU. Just overclock it.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Desuwa posted:

No, Noctua's paste is good. There's very little meaningful difference between pastes. Noctua's comes in a huge tube though, so don't use too much.

If by "very little meaningful difference", you mean "upto about 30%" then yeah:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,review-32804-20.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,review-32804-18.html

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

All but the worst (and the very best exotic solution) fit into the same 3.5-5 degree range, depending on whether it's CPU or GPU. I guess I should have said there's very little meaningful difference between pastes that aren't cheap poo poo, but eh.

The CPU graph was what I expected but I didn't expect differences for GPUs. I guess there's something significantly different about the characteristics of how GPUs heat up. But people who put aftermarket coolers on their GPUs are a much smaller group than the people who put aftermarket coolers on their CPUs so the results that are specific to GPUs are of limited use.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 9, 2015

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I'd never heard about that Coollaboratory stuff until I saw these benchmarks and it looks kind of tempting for when I next change my CPU/cooler. Its consistently 10% better than the 2nd best products, and considering we're probably all overclocking and chasing temps to get a solid overclock, 10% can be a nice drop. The reviews say its kind of tough to apply though.

Even if you aren't replacing GPU coolers, just popping the original cooler off and putting this stuff on would make a difference as per the benchmarks. I don't know what MSI/Asus/EVGA's OEM paste is like but if its drops like in those charts, thats the sort of drops that will let you turn your 970 into a 980 in terms of overclock performance, and dropping £7 on thermal paste for effectively a £100 hardware upgrade sounds pretty decent.

Edit: Below: Yeah haha, some of these benchmarks have poo poo like toothpaste and denture adhesive on

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 9, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Who needs fancy aftermarket stuff when you can just use Nutella? :downs:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

isndl posted:

Who needs fancy aftermarket stuff when you can just use Nutella? :downs:

Mayonnaise supremacy, bitch

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

td4guy posted:

There's seriously no need to upgrade that CPU. Just overclock it.

He's right - I've been running a 2500K @ 4.4Ghz for well over two years now and it's been a tank. Sure, I could try for more, but it seems 'happy' at 4.4.

...of course I've got a Silver Arrow sitting on it, too.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Same with my 2600K at 4.5ghz. Seeing no need to upgrade for a while yet.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can I expect to get over 4ghz with an H80i? I'd love to get around 4.4 for sim racing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ahdinko posted:

I'd never heard about that Coollaboratory stuff until I saw these benchmarks and it looks kind of tempting for when I next change my CPU/cooler. Its consistently 10% better than the 2nd best products, and considering we're probably all overclocking and chasing temps to get a solid overclock, 10% can be a nice drop. The reviews say its kind of tough to apply though.

Even if you aren't replacing GPU coolers, just popping the original cooler off and putting this stuff on would make a difference as per the benchmarks. I don't know what MSI/Asus/EVGA's OEM paste is like but if its drops like in those charts, thats the sort of drops that will let you turn your 970 into a 980 in terms of overclock performance, and dropping £7 on thermal paste for effectively a £100 hardware upgrade sounds pretty decent.

Edit: Below: Yeah haha, some of these benchmarks have poo poo like toothpaste and denture adhesive on

Coolabs is good stuff, but only for putting under the lid. On top of the lid there are much easier pastes to use which are within the margin of error.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Desuwa posted:

All but the worst (and the very best exotic solution) fit into the same 3.5-5 degree range, depending on whether it's CPU or GPU. I guess I should have said there's very little meaningful difference between pastes that aren't cheap poo poo, but eh.

The CPU graph was what I expected but I didn't expect differences for GPUs. I guess there's something significantly different about the characteristics of how GPUs heat up. But people who put aftermarket coolers on their GPUs are a much smaller group than the people who put aftermarket coolers on their CPUs so the results that are specific to GPUs are of limited use.

I push GPU repasting all the time. Its a huge difference, sometimes ridiculous. Its due to surface area of the die.

Lowest difference I've seen is around 7 degrees drop. Best has been 20 degrees. And those were cards of the same chipset, different brands. It's also very easy to do.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
OK, no...I'm hitting 100C now. I'm pretty sure that now there's too little paste. Couldn't get it to spread right.

Also LLC only has "normal", "high, and "turbo"...no off on my board. :raise:

e: I am tempted by that Coollaboratory pad. No fussing with paste there!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Panty Saluter posted:

OK, no...I'm hitting 100C now. I'm pretty sure that now there's too little paste. Couldn't get it to spread right.

Don't spread the paste, just glob a bit and the pressures will spread it for you.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

Read reviews, there are LOTS of fussing. Just buy a big tube of noctua, you'll never have to buy paste again.

You shouldn't be spreading it anyway.
read here: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_cpu_and_apply_thermal_paste

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Here's a video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

veedubfreak posted:

Read reviews, there are LOTS of fussing. Just buy a big tube of noctua, you'll never have to buy paste again.

You shouldn't be spreading it anyway.
read here: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_cpu_and_apply_thermal_paste

I didn't before but now I'm second guessing myself :saddowns:

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I've been using a razor blade to evenly spread paste on the CPU since my first Athlon XP 1800+, never had issues doing it that way.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, the finest instrument I have is a credit card. Didn't really work.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
Article Silver has a per processor application method on their website. Shame it doesn't have one for GPUs.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Pre-spreading the thermal paste misses the point of the paste. The paste isn't there to coat the CPU die, it's there to fill in gaps between the CPU lid and the heatsink. If you pre-spread it you're going to be putting more paste than is needed in some places and too little in others. Unlike when you put one drop in the middle, pre-spread thermal paste will seal in air bubbles. When you put the paste in the middle and rely on the heatsink to force it away from the center the paste is all displacing air in the same direction (away from the center) so no air gets trapped.

Maybe it doesn't result in a huge, noticeable difference in temperatures most of the time, but there's no reason to pre-spread thermal paste when it takes more effort than just putting some in the middle and it can only make the contact worse, not better.

If nothing you can do results in good temperatures a possibility is that your particular CPU just isn't making good contact with its lid. Delidding is not something you should be doing if you're not an expert so you might just have to live with the temps you have.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I don't really see how flattening the paste out by hand helps any if the cooler mounting pressure is any good at all. (and if it isn't good, spreading the paste out by hand isn't going to help).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I always worry that I don't put enough on to fill the contact surface, but that's probably not a reasonable concern.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Subjunctive posted:

I always worry that I don't put enough on to fill the contact surface, but that's probably not a reasonable concern.

The actual CPU under the lid is a good bit smaller than the lid, so as long as you do the standard pea sized dollop of paste in the center you will get plenty of paste where it needs to be.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
titan x with some impressive overclocks

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

calusari posted:

titan x with some impressive overclocks

I'm tempted :pcgaming:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KakerMix posted:

I'm tempted :pcgaming:

yeah, huh.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well'p. Guess I have to go buy another 290 to even get close to keeping up. And an air conditioner, because I'll have two 290s...

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't buy a compute oriented card for games. Just get 2 970s or 980s. Or wait for the consumer version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

craig588 posted:

Don't buy a compute oriented card for games. Just get 2 970s or 980s. Or wait for the consumer version of it.

What if you hate money?