Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think ROE had one, did it?

ROE only had Eldrazi Temple as its rare land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think ROE had one, did it?

RoE, AVR, and Alara didn't. If you go further back very, very few blocks had rare land cycles (All of Mirrodin/Kami didn't have them, TSP didn't until the last set).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Surge of Righteousness is going to be a 2 or 3 of in my Esper Control SB post DTK.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Nah. Disdainful Stroke is just much better.

This probably sees play as a psuedo-Syncopate against opponents who tap out, and if they've drawn Ojutai/Silumgar then it's a nice hard counter later.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The UU Force Spike mode is so bad I can't imagine anyone outside limited runs it.

Jabor posted:

It's a Guard Duty that costs twice as much mana and that your opponent can choose to ignore and attack through anyway if it becomes profitable for them. I guess it's a rare for complexity reasons, because power-level wise it's an uncommon at best in a Limited environment.

No way it sees any play outside of gimmicking with ETB triggers.

Put it on your opponent's Dragonlord Silumgar, gain control of a different creature they control and then block their dude with their own dude.

...yeah, I don't know either.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

That counterspell is completely unplayable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ShadeofBlue posted:

That counterspell is completely unplayable.

People just get excited about alternate costs and modes on counterspells.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

bhsman posted:

This probably sees play as a psuedo-Syncopate against opponents who tap out, and if they've drawn Ojutai/Silumgar then it's a nice hard counter later.

A two-mana force spike is not playable. Hell, a 1-mana force spike probably wouldn't be playable in this Standard. Syncopate was decent because it remained effective in the midgame - you can cast Syncopate for 3 on your opponent's 4-drop, even if they have a couple of lands left open - this doesn't even come close.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
That's like saying Syncopate is unplayable, and this is almost as good. It'll see play.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
if you ignore the conditionality of it it says "UU counter target spell" which is exciting, but it is probably a force spike more of the time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

That's like saying Syncopate is unplayable, and this is almost as good. It'll see play.

This is worlds different than Syncopate.

And Syncopate isn't that great in the first place, so "almost as good" doesn't say much about it.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
it should really be dragondaze, reveal a dragon instead of paying UU to counter unless they pay 1 :3

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I know it's intended to be put on an opponents creature, but any value that will be derived out of this card will be from casting it on your own ETB effect or some other combo piece. Otherwise it just says "enchanted creature has defender until its controller can get rid of this" which even in limited is barely useful semi-removal.

Definitely a wacky "try to build around me" bulk rare.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

People just get excited about alternate costs and modes on counterspells.

This isn't even an alternate cost. It's an additional cost. The card isn't playable in any format.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ultima66 posted:

RoE, AVR, and Alara didn't. If you go further back very, very few blocks had rare land cycles (All of Mirrodin/Kami didn't have them, TSP didn't until the last set).

AVR finished the cycle of Utility Lands from the rest of the block I guess.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The point of this card is to counter a small child's dragon and then let him silently know that you, the grown adult, are in fact the dragonmaster. Except you don't have to make roaring noises or flap your hands like pretend wings. The card does all the work.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

The gulf between Force Spike and Syncopate is pretty enormous, dude. And as the King noted, Syncopate isn't that good in the first place.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There might be a Dragon deck that uses some of these conditional spells, but there isn't enough space for all of them and this counter would be awkward in such a deck.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Amoeboid Changeling's time to shine?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

A better comparison than Syncopate is Stubborn Denial, and Stubborn Denial is a way better card.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The Nastier Nate posted:

I know it's intended to be put on an opponents creature, but any value that will be derived out of this card will be from casting it on your own ETB effect or some other combo piece. Otherwise it just says "enchanted creature has defender until its controller can get rid of this" which even in limited is barely useful semi-removal.

Definitely a wacky "try to build around me" bulk rare.

Stick it on Master of Waves. Gary would be good too except black devotion makes it fiddly.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

Edit: There is actually no red one in the article, I imagine it was probably an oversight.

Hello Green answer to UB early Ashiok.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Stick it on Master of Waves. Gary would be good too except black devotion makes it fiddly.

Put it on a Doomwake Giant.

In limited its just a generic "opposing creature has defender" card. In constructed, you're probably looking to abuse ETBs on your own guys.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

BizarroAzrael posted:

You still have to be able to get your master of waves to survive an attack or else you lose all your elementals at EoT anyway. At least Gary is big enough on the back end to survive untill he runs head first into a seige rhino.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I really like those color cycle hosers.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Mirror Mockery is either a subtle or unintended reference to Flicker, and I love the card for it. :3:

Angry Grimace posted:

The gulf between Force Spike and Syncopate is pretty enormous, dude. And as the King noted, Syncopate isn't that good in the first place.

And yet Syncopate still saw play. It's good enough to be a 1-of in a Control deck that runs any dragon as a finisher.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

GoutPatrol posted:

Hello Green answer to UB early Ashiok.

And Sorin. And Narset. And NewSarkhan.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gyshall posted:

I really like those color cycle hosers.

The black one probably just kills UW Heroic entirely now (it was already hanging on by a thread).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

The black one probably just kills UW Heroic entirely now (it was already hanging on by a thread).

Yeah. Between Roast, Ultimate Price coming back, and now enemy hate-sacking, W/u heroic is probably dead.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Elyv posted:

Edit: There is actually no red one in the article, I imagine it was probably an oversight.

What happened to all the Rakshasas anyway. There's been like, two cards with them?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bhsman posted:

Mirror Mockery is either a subtle or unintended reference to Flicker, and I love the card for it. :3:

And yet Syncopate still saw play. It's good enough to be a 1-of in a Control deck that runs any dragon as a finisher.

How many dragons do you think a control deck plays? Because it is not enough to make that added cost ever be a factor.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

forbidden lesbian posted:

How many dragons do you think a control deck plays? Because it is not enough to make that added cost ever be a factor.

Izzet dragon counter/burn feat. Mind Swipe and Silumgar's Scorn. :v:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Not that it's a super huge big deal or whatever but I hope everyone parses correctly that the spell has either an added cost or an upgrade if your hexproof silumgar is in play.

Also I think we're underrating this card but I really have no loving clue. Playing against force spike that sometimes turns into counterspell with information you don't have is going to randomly be a nightmare, but it might just be too unreliable in the midgame.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^Or a Hexproof Dragonlord Ojutai, but as you said it might be too unreliable at times, which is why I'm not saying people should run more than 2. :v:

About 2-3 per deck? I'm not banking on it being up reliably, but denying it outright is just dumb.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Not that it's a super huge big deal or whatever but I hope everyone parses correctly that the spell has either an added cost or an upgrade if your hexproof silumgar is in play.

Also I think we're underrating this card but I really have no loving clue. Playing against force spike that sometimes turns into counterspell with information you don't have is going to randomly be a nightmare, but it might just be too unreliable in the midgame.

Control is biased towards taplands in the early game and in the late game its just Force Spike that costs twice as much as Force Spike.

If your hexproof Silumgar is in play, you already won the game.

bhsman posted:

About 2-3 per deck? I'm not banking on it being up reliably, but denying it outright is just dumb.

Usually 1 or 2.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Control is biased towards taplands in the early game and in the late game its just Force Spike that costs twice as much as Force Spike.

I think stuff like taplands are exactly why a Control deck would want this, though. It's not like people never tap out in Standard. Even Silumgar being in play is not a guarantee of victory, and even the hexproof version needs protection at times.

quote:

Usually 1 or 2.

So what's the problem?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

netcat posted:

What happened to all the Rakshasas anyway. There's been like, two cards with them?

There were only 4 cards in FRF and KTK combined that had Rakshasa in their name, so I guess there weren't that many in the first place

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If all of the "dragons matter" spells were tribal, that dragon counter might be good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Would you step the rhetoric down a notch? The point is it's easy to misread these cards, not a point about evaluation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

I think stuff like taplands are exactly why a Control deck would want this, though. It's not like people never tap out in Standard. Even Silumgar being in play is not a guarantee of victory, and even the hexproof version needs protection at times.

So what's the problem?

People tap out sure, but control decks are heavily biased towards consistency and this card is the poster-child for inconsistency. 1 or 2 Dragons is not enough to reliably turn on the part of this card that makes it any good.

• Locked thread