Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Am I making things up or Snyder's gradually replacing the Batfamily with his own characters?
That's not really true. Harper and Cullen are the only characters he invented and I guess there's Duke but the only one who has hypothesized him becoming a partner is Tomasi in B&R Future's End. Julia was a silver-age character who got reinvented and brought back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Harper's pretty awesome, imo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You're right with Julia, however, Snyder brought her back from the limbo and re invented her.

My point is, Julia is taking over Alfred as the Cave contact. Harper has taken over as Bruce's field partner and recently Duke has gotten relevance with Endgame.

On the other hand most of the Batfamily appearances have been meaningless in the big picture. At some point it seems they are just there because.

Now, getting them out of Bruce's shadow is fantastic but the execution is sloppy. I'm sure taking them out of the stories entirely would improve them. Well, Eternal, at least.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think you just hate Eternal because, like, twelve different artists have given Jason a mask mouth in one series.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Harper's in no way taken over as Bruce's field partner. She's been mostly under Tim's supervision, it's not like she's going out on patrol with him. She's getting better and proving her usefulness and both in Eternal and Batman there's huge apocalyptic scenarios going on where Bruce needs all the help he can get. He just deputized Bane and the rest of the rogues in Endgame for cryin out loud.

Especially since both storylines apparently take place before Damian's resurrection which leaves Bruce without one clear solid 'partner'.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Thats my point. Harper, Cullen, Duke and Julia are the ones getting development on Snyder's stories. Jason, Barbara and Tim are mostly there for the group shots, barely having lines.

Harper working with Bruce is also interesting because before Damian's death Bruce worked alone under Snyder's pen.

Eternal is a weird case because by cramming every named character into it, had tons of plotlines that doesn't advance the main narrative. You could take them out and devote more time to the actual protagonists (Steph, Harper, Selina, Julia) thus streamlining and tightening the story.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
You see that as a problem, but I think it's perfect because Jason, Barbara and Tim all have their own books that they lead. Even Damian and Dick never had major roles in "Batman" either and that's because they also have their own books they star in. No one uses Harper or Julia outside of Snyder right now in comparison, so if you like those characters "Batman" and Eternal for now is the only book you can see them in.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

You see that as a problem, but I think it's perfect because Jason, Barbara and Tim all have their own books that they lead. Even Damian and Dick never had major roles in "Batman" either and that's because they also have their own books they star in. No one uses Harper or Julia outside of Snyder right now in comparison, so if you like those characters "Batman" and Eternal for now is the only book you can see them in.

That is exactly why I think the execution is sloppy.Putting them into Batman or Eternal is taking space from the new characters for no good reason.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Snyder's run has been like, three arcs. DotF explicitly involved the entire family, Zero Year happened before any of his sidekicks even existed, and I guess Court of Owls did have him working mostly solo. I dont think you can really say he always writes Batman working alone. Again, Batman is working with Penguin, Ivy and Mr. Freeze so I dont know why him working with Harper is so upsetting. He's clearly up against the wall.

They're getting development because they're undefined, new characters. Readers know who Tim and Jason and Barbara are, and everyone but Tim has their own book to develop in, anyway.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Snyder's run has been like, three arcs. DotF explicitly involved the entire family, Zero Year happened before any of his sidekicks even existed, and I guess Court of Owls did have him working mostly solo. I dont think you can really say he always writes Batman working alone. Again, Batman is working with Penguin, Ivy and Mr. Freeze so I dont know why him working with Harper is so upsetting. He's clearly up against the wall.

They're getting development because they're undefined, new characters. Readers know who Tim and Jason and Barbara are, and everyone but Tim has their own book to develop in, anyway.

I think I didn't explained myself correctly.

I'm not arguing for the former Robins and Babs to have a bigger role on Snyder's stories. I'm arguing that it would be better if they wouldn't have a role in the first place.

So far they don't provide nothing of relevance to the stories beyond the obligatory meeting with Bruce where they call him out on his attitude and cool spreads.

Taking them out of the equation would gave more space for the new characters to shine and receive the development they deserve while also streamlining the narrative.

Now about Eternal, the most consistent complaint I've seen is about how it has so many plotlines that only clutter the book and rarely have a satisfactory conclusion. Take the small (and ultimately meaningless) roles the Batfamily has and the story would only improve.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I think I didn't explained myself correctly.

I'm not arguing for the former Robins and Babs to have a bigger role on Snyder's stories. I'm arguing that it would be better if they wouldn't have a role in the first place.

So far they don't provide nothing of relevance to the stories beyond the obligatory meeting with Bruce where they call him out on his attitude and cool spreads.

Taking them out of the equation would gave more space for the new characters to shine and receive the development they deserve while also streamlining the narrative.

Now about Eternal, the most consistent complaint I've seen is about how it has so many plotlines that only clutter the book and rarely have a satisfactory conclusion. Take the small (and ultimately meaningless) roles the Batfamily has and the story would only improve.

The only Eternal story I haven't liked has been Batwings. Everyone else has been fine.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Joker related Comixology sale

https://www.comixology.com/Joker-Sale/page/5641?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Death OF the Family + tie ins
Death IN the Family
Emperor Joker
The Joker (1975)
Joker's Asylum
Joker: Last Laugh

etc: Batman #1, 251, 450-451, Batman Confidential 7-12, Legends OTDK 50, 142-146, Detective Comics 471-476, 784-786, I Joker, Batman: Joker's Apprentice, The Man Who Laughed.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't agree. There's no point having a giant year long weekly book only focused on Bruce and excluding his partners who exist in Gotham. One of the major complaints of the New 52 in regards to Batman books has been the streamlined and minimization of the batfamily. They made Bruce go through multiple Robins in a few years, got rid of popular characters like Cassandra and Stephanie completely and created a lack of connectivity in the group overall. Eternal is a solution to that by having Bruce's partners actively involved in the book in many ways.

Fact is we have multiple monthly books where Batman alone plays a large role in (and not just Batline books) and new characters find difficulty being accepted if surrounding present characters do not welcome them either. Harper has been in Snyder's Batman for a long time now in the background, but only now she's gaining popularity thanks to Eternal and it does have a good deal to do with her interacting with other characters like Tim and Stephanie. We don't need Eternal to be solely focused on Bruce and not include his partners because that's what Batman and even Detective Comics is for. It also seems callous that Gotham is going to poo poo and none of his partners are even there to help, which Snyder does at least address with Endgame.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 3, 2015

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Timeless Appeal posted:

Funny Book Babylon. It was a goon project that included one of the first podcasts I listened to on the regular. It involved a bunch of smart dudes having a pretty intelligent conversation about comics while their producer split hairs and derailed verything.
To clarify, David "d00gz" Uzumeri did Batmannotations for us for a good long while

http://funnybookbabylon.com/category/reviews/annotations-reviews/

Then he moved over to ComicsAlliance with them because they actually pay money:

http://comicsalliance.com/category/annotations/

Also included in the second link are his current Multiversity annotations, plus an aborted series of Hickman FF annotations he and I did together.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

I don't agree. There's no point having a giant year long weekly book only focused on Bruce and excluding his partners who exist in Gotham. One of the major complaints of the New 52 in regards to Batman books has been the streamlined and minimization of the batfamily. They made Bruce go through multiple Robins in a few years, got rid of popular characters like Cassandra and Stephanie completely and created a lack of connectivity in the group overall. Eternal is a solution to that by having Bruce's partners actively involved in the book in many ways.

Fact is we have multiple monthly books where Batman alone plays a large role in (and not just Batline books) and new characters find difficulty being accepted if surrounding present characters do not welcome them either. Harper has been in Snyder's Batman for a long time now in the background, but only now she's gaining popularity thanks to Eternal and it does have a good deal to do with her interacting with other characters like Tim and Stephanie. We don't need Eternal to be solely focused on Bruce and not include his partners because that's what Batman and even Detective Comics is for. It also seems callous that Gotham is going to poo poo and none of his partners are even there to help, which Snyder does at least address with Endgame.

Although the only classic character still on Gotham (not counting Damian), is Barbara. Tim is in NY with the Titans, Dick is on Spyral and Jason is globetrotting with the Outlaws.

I would rather have more issues focused on how exactly Steph went from a scared girl hiding on the library to a world class atlhete in matter of days.

I enjoyed the Harper focused issues on Batman, but her interactions with Tim on Eternal are pretty much, "Tim is outsmarted and Harper saves the day"

Eternal also has pacing issues, plot lines are abandoned for weeks and most of the time they feel disconnected from the main narrative. What was the point of the Corrigan plotline? What happened to Gordon or Vicky Vale?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is Ace the Bathound still around?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The current batdog is named Titus. There's also Alfred: the cat and Batcow: the cow.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 3, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

The current batdog is named Titus. There's also Alfred: the cat and Batcow: the cow.
They also only appear in Batman and Robin consistently. Tomasi's next new 52 ongoing should be "Batfarm." :colbert:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like that the only superheroes the Forever People have met have been Guy Gardner and Batcow.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think you just hate Eternal because, like, twelve different artists have given Jason a mask mouth in one series.

To be fair to him, even though it is a petty complaint, Frowny Red Hood is pretty dumb.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Although the only classic character still on Gotham (not counting Damian), is Barbara. Tim is in NY with the Titans, Dick is on Spyral and Jason is globetrotting with the Outlaws.

Eternal also has pacing issues, plot lines are abandoned for weeks and most of the time they feel disconnected from the main narrative. What was the point of the Corrigan plotline? What happened to Gordon or Vicky Vale?

Tim and Jason are off doing their things... except when they aren't. They'll show up when they need to, they're just sticking to the time-honored tradition of "existing where the story needs them to be" just like how Papa Bruce can hang out with the Justice League one minute then go on solo adventures the next.

And the point of the Corrigan plot was to blow up Arkham. Arkham's gone and DC built up interest in Corrigan/Spectre, and got two spinoff books (Arkham Manor and Gotham By Midnight) out of the whole deal.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

lotus circle posted:

They also only appear in Batman and Robin consistently. Tomasi's next new 52 ongoing should be "Batfarm." :colbert:

"Batskipit, because it's poo poo."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Finally catching up on post-Williams Batwoman. Holy hell this book got terrible faster than I've ever seen a book get terrible.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Finally catching up on post-Williams Batwoman. Holy hell this book got terrible faster than I've ever seen a book get terrible.

That's how I felt when Tynion started on RHATO :cripes:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batwoman was good to begin with, though

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Can't really comment on that. The way Kate was drawn with a ghostly white bothered me so much that I never picked up the title.

And hey, different strokes. If anything, everyone agrees that Tynion's run on RHATO was an unreadable mess.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Can't really comment on that. The way Kate was drawn with a ghostly white bothered me so much that I never picked up the title.
You have the weirdest hangups, I swear.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

redbackground posted:

You have the weirdest hangups, I swear.
His complaint is as dumb as saying something like "This Batman comic is good but I can't get around the dude dressing like a bat". You know, despite there being a legitimate rationale behind that for the character. Like Batwoman's faux vampire superstitious cowardly lot ensemble.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

His complaint is as dumb as saying something like "This Batman comic is good but I can't get around the dude dressing like a bat". You know, despite there being a legitimate rationale behind that for the character. Like Batwoman's faux vampire superstitious cowardly lot ensemble.

:shrug:

I did catch the vampire motif but the fact she was equally as pale out of costume, was very distracting.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:shrug:

I did catch the vampire motif but the fact she was equally as pale out of costume, was very distracting.
Because that's how some people look in real life

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Travis343 posted:

I had a lot of problems with the book when he was on it to be fair. Artistic ability was never in question tho.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Was Taters posted:

I had a lot of problems with the book when he was on it to be fair. Artistic ability was never in question tho.

Agree with this. While the artwork was amazing to look at I found all the time jumps in each issues to be really annoying.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not saying he was as good as Rucka's work on the character but it was a comic I looked forward to every month. Then bam, she's in outer space for some Goddamn reason.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah a lot of people were upset that Batwoman got cancelled, but sales were declining since Blackman/Williams left and not even Doyle's editorial guidance that led to the Unknowns could save the sales. Numbers actually dropped in October for that book, while Batgirl got a big boost and Catwoman a modest one.

It'll come back eventually I think, especially with rumors of more new books slated to come out in July, but for now it needs to take a break if it's not going to sell.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It needs a real clear direction and a solid creative team if it ever gets going again. And she needs to not be a vampire, or at least know she's a vampire.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I'd rather her not have a book than have her be raped by a vampire every loving month.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
With the exception of the Wonder Woman team-up, Batwoman was absolute garbage since Rucka left. Gorgeous, beautifully composed garbage but still garbage. They've hosed up the character so badly it's utterly depressing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Andreyko done anything good since Manhunter? Cuz it was pretty embarrassing seeing him try to defend the vampire-rape story with the "No, no, it's romantic, and complex, you'll see!" tactic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Batman no more! Bruce has chosen a new spirit animal!

http://www.newsarama.com/23742-meet-dc-s-all-new-batman.html

that's a drat bunny

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
That giant loving gun... I feel like I've woken up in the 1990s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

redbackground posted:

Batman no more! Bruce has chosen a new spirit animal!

http://www.newsarama.com/23742-meet-dc-s-all-new-batman.html

that's a drat bunny

:psyduck:

What the hell?

Man, now I'm so glad about DC being more lenient towards canon and continuity.

• Locked thread