Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
You guys are making this way too complicated, it's a piece of piss.

Split into three groups of 4, put two on scales. If it balances, this eliminates all 8, if it's heavier on one side the fatty is in that group, eliminate the lighter 4 and the remaining four.

Take two from fatty group, place on other side of scale, repeat process. This leaves you two dudes, weigh vs each other.

I don't understand how this is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Because the guy in the group could be heavier or lighter. Not knowing that eliminates that strategy.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Ahhhhh, I missed the bit where he was either lighter OR heavier. Idiot! Thought it was way too easy, even for a TV writer...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This is a bit you guys are doing, isn't it.

It can't not be a bit.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Look at the Professor Layton link Tokelau All Star posted. The question was asked in a way that implied there was one method that could consistently solve it (and that is the case in the version where you know that the islander is heavier), but the very first hint in the Professor Layton game says that there's no one definite solution to the puzzle. You have to individually number the islanders and then specifically choose which ones to weight based on the result of the first and second weighings.

Personally, I think Rosa's solution is the best.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Psh, I could turn mine into a pile of If statements and, "Hello, world!," this poo poo.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Irish Joe posted:

Kinda funny how this episode just ripped off last week's New Girl plotline.
kinda funny how most episodes of tv shows don't get written, taped and aired in six days

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

dude789 posted:

Look at the Professor Layton link Tokelau All Star posted. The question was asked in a way that implied there was one method that could consistently solve it (and that is the case in the version where you know that the islander is heavier), but the very first hint in the Professor Layton game says that there's no one definite solution to the puzzle. You have to individually number the islanders and then specifically choose which ones to weight based on the result of the first and second weighings.

But that puzzle also says that you need to find the heaviest weight or something - it doesn't say lighter or heavier like Holt did. I feel stupidly confused.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Bozza posted:

You guys are making this way too complicated, it's a piece of piss.

Split into three groups of 4, put two on scales. If it balances, this eliminates all 8, if it's heavier on one side the fatty is in that group, eliminate the lighter 4 and the remaining four.

Take two from fatty group, place on other side of scale, repeat process. This leaves you two dudes, weigh vs each other.

I don't understand how this is hard.

Here's a clip of Captain Holt himself explaining it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

You can also do the method Holt dismisses out of hand.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't think there's any way to solve it if you start with two groups of six, which is what Amy proposed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I was really hoping Peralta would wander up to them while they were discussing it and just rattle off the answer offhandedly before going to the bar

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What's in this video? It's not available in my country.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

MildManeredManikin posted:

It's just Holt walking through the solution that was posted earlier. He makes a few Holt-jokes.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Does he assume the person is heavier because that's not the riddle he told and also you could also solve it with 6 vs 6 at the beginning.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MildManeredManikin posted:

Does he assume the person is heavier because that's not the riddle he told and also you could also solve it with 6 vs 6 at the beginning.

At the beginning he said heavier or lighter

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

https://youtu.be/5K2WE9z4zL4

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

GutBomb posted:

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

Title of your sex tape.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd have just gone with Rosa's solution.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

If this does not result in an Emmy win something is very wrong with the world.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CeeJee posted:

If this does not result in an Emmy win something is very wrong with the world.

Actually, it's kind of neat to see Andre acting so roughly - he restarts a line half-way through, he's clearly reading his lines off of something offscreen and doesn't sound like he knows what's coming next. Even the pauses seem unnatural.

It's because it was a "deleted scene" shot done in a single take, so it makes sense that it was rough, but it's still kind of interesting to see him do the character almost off-the-cuff and with no editing. I have to wonder how much work Andy Samberg does to get into character as Peralta, he kind of just comes off as what Samberg would be like if he'd become a detective instead.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dolash posted:

Actually, it's kind of neat to see Andre acting so roughly - he restarts a line half-way through, he's clearly reading his lines off of something offscreen and doesn't sound like he knows what's coming next. Even the pauses seem unnatural.

It's because it was a "deleted scene" shot done in a single take, so it makes sense that it was rough, but it's still kind of interesting to see him do the character almost off-the-cuff and with no editing. I have to wonder how much work Andy Samberg does to get into character as Peralta, he kind of just comes off as what Samberg would be like if he'd become a detective instead.

It's kind of funny to see people think of Peralta as "exaggerate Samberg" because back in the day, he would play the preppy jock

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

quote:

Sarcasm: The coward's lie.

This could be a thread title.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A pair of red hot dicks

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Some things were made to be broken: Pinatas, glowsticks, karate boards, spaghetti when the pot is too small

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

You two are the most incompetent detectives I've ever worked with, and I'm including the bomb sniffing dog who keeps humping the bombs

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Wait... was that the finale?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wikipedia says May 17th for the finale.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Phy posted:

Wikipedia says May 17th for the finale.

Okay, because that would have been a really weak episode to end the season on.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The out of focus Terry in the background throwing his hands up in disbelief when Holt calls him a bunny buying coward (can't recall the specific wording) may have been my favorite part of last night's episode.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Watched on nextlix and Chelsea Peretti has such a manly face, was she always a woman?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Oovee posted:

Watched on nextlix and Chelsea Peretti has such a manly face, was she always a woman?

This is such an embarrassed face pile of poop thumbs down emojis post

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Skychrono posted:

I don't think there's any way to solve it if you start with two groups of six, which is what Amy proposed.

I forgot the key detail of them being lighter or heavier. This is really going to mess with my self image of being the smartest guy in the room.

*goes off to watch Backstrom*

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
She's a naturally born female

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why the gently caress is there a two month break for the finale? That's bizarre, and I can't find anything about it online.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oovee posted:

Shes gorgeous as gently caress held up by the fact that shes insanely funny both on the show and off it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hakkesshu posted:

Why the gently caress is there a two month break for the finale? That's bizarre, and I can't find anything about it online.

The same reason why most of the rest of Fox's Sunday lineup is off, sweeps.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Vintersorg posted:

Shes gorgeous as gently caress held up by the fact that shes insanely funny both on the show and off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Looks like they are running double episodes of Last Man on Earth for the next three weeks, which means that Family Guy has to be moved into Brooklyn 99's slot.

• Locked thread