Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

XV isn't going to reach the quality expected of it by sheer virtue of being a formerly abandoned PS3 game hacked together at the last minute to save on funding. I personally think the character designs are dire and very Japanese (they look like a K-pop band) but obviously that's subjective. It just seems imaginatively devoid.

Conceptually I think it's a really interesting spin on a typical story - the main character's home kingdom is the victim of a pre-emptive war declaration and presently on fire, but he and his friends are half a continent away from the battle. They need to road-trip to where the main conflict is taking place, gathering intel and strength along the way. If they play it right, it could turn out to be something fairly unique for Final Fantasy, with news from home coming in the form of gossip and broadcasts without the main character getting the full picture until he jumps into the war himself.

Of course, they could also go the datalog route again. Because that worked so well last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

haveblue posted:

IIRC God of War 3 got upgraded to native 720p60 after the demo ran at something below that (probably 720p30).

They actually were targeting 1080p/60 for it the final game's framerate unfortunately fluctuates regularly between 30~60 at 720p, though I guess that's not a massive downgrade or upgrade one way or the other. Though it was still waaaaay better than Ascension's constantly going into the 15~25 territory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think i could identify something as K-Pop by appearance.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Fozzie Bear posted:

If you are looking for a fitness game I wouldn't get just dance, it's not very hard. The kids and I play it quite a bit on ps3, and while a fun game, it doesn't really give me a workout.

Yeah, same here. Just Dance has really lax, quirky grading and it's very easy to slack off as the game really won't kick your rear end for being lazy like it should. If you have a tablet and a smartphone, there's a freemium one that has a couple of free songs you can try out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Oh yeah, I would say maybe at least 5 years for it. That date placeholder in Amazon just makes me laugh.

December 2015?

Yeah not even wishing upon a star would make that happen.

I really doubt they're gonna wait five years. KH2 was originally released in 2005, and even that 3DS game is like 2-3 years old by now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Not really to be honest.
I can't tell the difference between J and Kpop really either but I still don't get the joke.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you have to use a music genre as an example why not use j-pop or something that's japanese

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It just seems imaginatively devoid. I'd love to know where the designers of games like VI, VII and IX are now and what they think of it.

... Well, uh, the writer of FFVII is working on FFXV and the character designer (and former director) is Tetsuya Nomura who also worked on FFVII's character designs. The lead game designer is Takatsugu Nakazawa who also worked on FFVII.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also the original creator of FF is making big bucks off a mobile puzzle game, so glass houses and all that....

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Syrinxx posted:

Sniper Elite III (Ultimate edition) comes out tomorrow - is this game any good? Is it the one with the x-ray nut shots?

Honestly, I found it to be dull. It's like the foundations of a great game are there, but they aren't really fleshed out at all. The stealth is bland, the combat is bland, the sniper shots are ok, but the x-ray poo poo seriously gets old after the 50th time you have seen it and unless you turn it off, you will see it a lot. I want to say that the original was a much better and fleshed out game, but I haven't played it in ages, but I remember it feeling quite a bit deeper than this.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

haveblue posted:

IIRC God of War 3 got upgraded to native 720p60 after the demo ran at something below that (probably 720p30).

It wasn't 60fps but there was a significant FPS (like, 50%) increase in the main game, in addition to some much improved textures/lighting.

God of war 3 is still gorgeous, I'm surprised there hasn't been a PS4 remaster though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

blackguy32 posted:

Honestly, I found it to be dull. It's like the foundations of a great game are there, but they aren't really fleshed out at all. The stealth is bland, the combat is bland, the sniper shots are ok, but the x-ray poo poo seriously gets old after the 50th time you have seen it and unless you turn it off, you will see it a lot. I want to say that the original was a much better and fleshed out game, but I haven't played it in ages, but I remember it feeling quite a bit deeper than this.

My friend was a big fan of the original Sniper Elite and apparently the sequels ruined everything that made the first game so good. For example, regenerating health. In Sniper Elite, if an enemy sniper tagged you with a bullet, it actually hurt. In the sequels getting shot is just a minor inconvenience. In short, Sniper Elite was very slowpaced, tactical and a difficult stealth game. The sequels, not so much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spalec posted:

It wasn't 60fps but there was a significant FPS (like, 50%) increase in the main game, in addition to some much improved textures/lighting.

God of war 3 is still gorgeous, I'm surprised there hasn't been a PS4 remaster though.

God of War 3 was my favorite of the series, I really hope there is a PS4 remaster.

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Sony should remaster all exclusive PS3 games to the 4. The Xbox converts who never owned a PS3 would appreciate it, and I am dumb enough to repurchase them all.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
GoW3 peaked with the Poseidon fight, which unfortunately happens within the first 20 minutes of the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Floridiot posted:

Sony should remaster all exclusive PS3 games to the 4. The Xbox converts who never owned a PS3 would appreciate it, and I am dumb enough to repurchase them all.
Me too but only if they all get bumped to 60fps (I don't care about resolution really) and load times are almost wiped out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Did anyone at all play God of War: Ascension and was it worth a drat?

I love the series but I felt like I was completely done with it after 3 and I hope they do something new even if it's in the same world and you play as someone else.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

All I really want out of FF15 is for it to be a fun, lighthearted game like Final Fantasy used to be. I liked my fantastic moon adventures and the evil clown who becomes a God and having evil houses as random battles and all sorts of goofy bullshit intertwining the plot.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't tell the difference between J and Kpop really either but I still don't get the joke.

He should have just said "J-Pop" but he probably had a K-pop band in his head because K-Pop's more relevant in the west these days. And Asian teen bands wear goofy clothes. I dunno. You guys are spergin'.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 9, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

WaltherFeng posted:

My friend was a big fan of the original Sniper Elite and apparently the sequels ruined everything that made the first game so good. For example, regenerating health. In Sniper Elite, if an enemy sniper tagged you with a bullet, it actually hurt. In the sequels getting shot is just a minor inconvenience. In short, Sniper Elite was very slowpaced, tactical and a difficult stealth game. The sequels, not so much.

I think it is more the level design than anything. I know in the original Sniper Elite, the first level is pretty wide open and open ended. But I own Sniper Elite 3 and while they are slightly open ended, I have been running into quite a few choke points

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gay skull posted:

All I really want out of FF15 is for it to be a fun, lighthearted game like Final Fantasy used to be. I liked my fantastic moon adventures and the evil clown who becomes a God and having evil houses as random battles and all sorts of goofy bullshit intertwining the plot, not this melodrama and anime-seriousness as of late.

One of your teammates (the blond kid with the dual firearms) is explicitly stated to have little to no actual combat experience. As a result, his "combat style" consists of him flailing around and rolling in the grass like a third-grader playing an imagination game in his backyard. It's a good start.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gay skull posted:

All I really want out of FF15 is for it to be a fun, lighthearted game like Final Fantasy used to be. I liked my fantastic moon adventures and the evil clown who becomes a God and having evil houses as random battles and all sorts of goofy bullshit intertwining the plot.

I'd be fine with it just being fun to play and bearable to watch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
GoW3 is definitely on the list of games built around the Cell and therefore almost impossible to port.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yodzilla posted:

It's pretty bad. They took all the lovely bits out of the original games ( QTE's, instant death traps, 'look at the vista' bits while you're in the middle of a fight and can't tell what's going on, enemies that completely ignore your attacks) and somehow made them worse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

I love the series but I felt like I was completely done with it after 3 and I hope they do something new even if it's in the same world and you play as someone else.

I couldn't stand Ascension. The changes to the combat mechanics made the game frustrating and the puzzles were stupid.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

haveblue posted:

The final version doesn't often hit 60 fps, but it's still a big improvement over the E3 demo, both in performance and visuals.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-godofwariii-demo-vs-retail-blog-entry

I'm looking forward to comparing the demo of FFXV with the final version, since Tabata has said that they're still going to improve the engine after the demo is finished.

Sometimes a lot of little improvements are made when a game is pushed back from Q4 to Q1, like Resident Evil 4 and DKC Tropical Freeze. In RE4, The demo build from the end of 2004 had grenades on the L trigger rather than the knife, which you had to equip like a gun, and still had the old inventory system where every item takes up the same amount of space.

I said come in! posted:

I couldn't stand Ascension. The changes to the combat mechanics made the game frustrating and the puzzles were stupid.

Yeah, parrying was changed from just pressing L1 when the enemy attacked to holding L1 before and pressing X at the right time. It was probably changed to add balance to the multiplayer mode, but I never played that. Instead of having different weapons, all you could do was change the colour of the blades to affect what type of orbs drop from enemies. There weren't any elemental weaknesses to exploit.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 9, 2015

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

GoW3 is definitely on the list of games built around the Cell and therefore almost impossible to port.

If The Last of Us could be ported, anything could be ported... the issue is manpower and if it would be worth it. The Last of Us was lucky in that they had Naughty Dog doing it as a learning test run.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Also it was still very new and had a lot of hype. I feel like at this point GoW doesn't have that kind of attention. They kind of beat it to death.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

If The Last of Us could be ported, anything could be ported... the issue is manpower and if it would be worth it. The Last of Us was lucky in that they had Naughty Dog doing it as a learning test run.

I think I remember Naughty Dog saying something along the lines of PS3 development being all about moving tasks typically done by the GPU to the CPU, because the PS3's GPU wasn't as good as the 360's, but the Cell was great for parallel processing and crunching floating-point numbers.

Porting The Last of Us to the PS4 involved moving a lot of those tasks back to the GPU, since the PS4 reversed the balance of power by having a relatively weak and slow CPU, but a powerful GPU that could also handle a lot of GPGPU (General-purpose GPU) functions, like calculating physics or particle effects.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
It still doesn't explain where my damned journey ps4 port is. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

God of War 3 was my favorite of the series, I really hope there is a PS4 remaster.

Or how about a god of war 4 instead???? :confused:

Nah lets just get a remake.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scyron posted:

It's being developed. Hopefully it comes out soonish.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Aren't they working on God of War 4? I mean that show we had last year with everyone wearing Kratos shirts fooled the hell out of me that they were basically saying God of War 4 is being made.

I mean I think sometime has passed long enough that another GoW shouldn't hurt. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At this point the God of War franchise is the QTE at the end of 3 except Kratos is Sony and Zeus is a horse.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Just played the Bladestorm demo and had fun. But am I right in guessing that this will become very, very repetitive as Tecmo Koei games tend to get? Not knocking, that's what the games are all about. But since the setting and gameplay is different, plus there seems to be a deal of character customization - will I be doing more than running around a massive map killing things repeatedly? I'd like to see use of formation tactics ala Total War or deep squad combat like Mount and Blade

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The original version of Bladestorm was super repetitive even by Omega-Force games standard and I doubt they've added enough to make that much of a difference. I wish the demo had had some of the Nightmare scenario stuff because I'm guessing that's going to have the most work put in to it.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Scyron posted:

It was 'not far off' in January, never mind that it has been 'coming soon' for like 6 months by now.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I won't believe FFXV is actually being worked on until I'm looking at the splash screen.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

haveblue posted:

e: i would play a video game version of The Cell

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Or how about a god of war 4 instead???? :confused:

Nah lets just get a remake.

Where would you even take a sequel though? After Ascension I really don't care or have much faith that it'll be fun to play.

haveblue posted:

No, this is a non issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yodzilla posted:

e: i would play a video game version of The Cell

A non-cartoony ultraviolent Psychonauts?

• Locked thread