Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Remind me, how is leash the New Dems, because they are a bunch of cowards who will move with the wind accelerationism? its how the parasite wing of the GOP took over. They took over the local and state party apparatus's in the 60-70s, it was only then that they could get Reagan. What I am arguing isn't accelerationist, its how you do politics. Now perhaps I am a bit of an accelerationist in the fact that I really do believe that America will not be safe till we have had some sort of attempt by the parasites to rise up, fallowed b the necessary security measures. But beyond that I really do not hold your views that we should do nothing and let the degenerates rule.

I thought that the moderate, third way democrat approach was decidedly out of fashion after the midterm shellacking last year. Being that red/purple state voters generally prefer to elect actual republicans instead.

Or did I totally misread the consensus after the midterms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

So apparently we just declared Venezuela a threat:

I wouldn't discount DOJ linking high up Venezeulan (sp?) political figures with protecting drug cartels (which I also believe includes the head of their legislature).

The Arkansas Times also posted more details on the Harris adoption thing that are particularily infuraiting. I can post them if people are interested in the topic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Slaan posted:

Why does anyone agree to be the President of a National Frat organization? It seems like you'd be in damage control mode from this kind of poo poo constantly.

Easy money and a metric fuckload of connections you make.

Farking Bastage posted:

Why don't they just stop beating around the bush at this point and start just calling him a friend of the family?

Rick Santorum already did.

Shageletic posted:

This article is a couple of weeks old, but the hypcrosy, its just too strong
State governors tell cities to govern themselves, but not too much

At least the broadband bullshit is getting killed by the FCC, though we can expect to see some amazingly hypocritcal court cases as state governments fight the FCC on that at the behest of telecomms.

Majorian posted:

Plant evidence of him being involved in a terrorist plot and have him arrested. Same thing with his VP candidate.

He's a Bush so you wouldn't have to plant anything.
Horrible pun not intended

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shageletic posted:

The Arkansas Times also posted more details on the Harris adoption thing that are particularily infuraiting. I can post them if people are interested in the topic.

Please do.

That sort of child-swapping scam is one of the few real honest-to-god "welfare scams" around these days, in the sense of systematic exploitation of public benefits by private individuals. The nastiest form of it is adopting disabled children, accepting the bonus $$ from the state, then dropping the kids off at a long-term public institution in another state and keeping the $$ bonus.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Antti posted:

There's also an unsubstantiated (IIRC) story that Reagan persuaded the Iranians to hold off on releasing the embassy hostages until the 1980 election.

"A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not."

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I thought that the moderate, third way democrat approach was decidedly out of fashion after the midterm shellacking last year. Being that red/purple state voters generally prefer to elect actual republicans instead.

Or did I totally misread the consensus after the midterms?

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/234224-centrist-dems-ready-strike-against-warren-wing

The lickspittles are scared that the rank and file has decided it no longer needs them, so now they are whining to the publications that will listen.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Crowsbeak posted:

Remind me, how is leash the New Dems, because they are a bunch of cowards who will move with the wind accelerationism? its how the parasite wing of the GOP took over. They took over the local and state party apparatus's in the 60-70s, it was only then that they could get Reagan. What I am arguing isn't accelerationist, its how you do politics. Now perhaps I am a bit of an accelerationist in the fact that I really do believe that America will not be safe till we have had some sort of attempt by the parasites to rise up, fallowed b the necessary security measures. But beyond that I really do not hold your views that we should do nothing and let the degenerates rule.

I'm going to try to play the UsPol game and answer you, since they've made it clear it's my personality and not my politics they really disagree with. The common wisdom is as follows:

quote:

Now perhaps I am a bit of an accelerationist in the fact that I really do believe that America will not be safe till we have had some sort of attempt by the parasites to rise up, fallowed b the necessary security measures.

To believe that there will be some kind of uprising or "civil war 2" is simply stupid thinking; only people on freep talk about poo poo like that. It is not reasonable to talk about the right wing in America as having some potential to ACTUALLY rise up and have some kind of "parasitic" rebellion in this day and age. The reason we do not have to worry about the GOP on a political level is that they have a clown car of presidential candidates that can never win, and that Hillary Clinton, barring some illness, is going to be elected president in 2016. And again, the common wisdom is that Clinton can get things done and will be much more effective in the face of GOP opposition than Obama has been.

And the idea, as best I can tell, is to allow the political process in this country to continue in the most gradualist way possible. All these "problems" that you and I and UV_Catastrophe see are really just artifacts of some weird, wrong perspective:

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Between Florida attempting to censor the mention of climate change, McConnell trying to get state governors to rebel against CO2 regulations, red state governments attempting to thwart local environment regulations, and GOP senators trying their hardest to steer us towards war with Iran, I don't know what to think.
Nothing gives me that creeping sense of impending doom quite like reading USPol.

Most important is that we not think about things in terms of "not having enough time". The GOP is decisively NOT smart enough to be playing some kind of ridiculous 11th-dimensional chess, where they're just stalling things and buying time while multinational corporations use the cover of legislative inaction to push the limits of exploitation and extraction as far as they can before everything's under water. The GOP are idiots, and anyway, the TPP and TTIP are bipartisan efforts anyway. They aren't using some form of constant whining about being victimized by liberals as a justification for why conservatism is failing. They aren't kicking the poo poo out of liberals and progressives on the state and local level. Try repeating these things to yourself.

The most important thing is to not put these pieces of evidence together into a form that makes it look like corporate interests have learned how to manipulate legislation and legislatures into a position that protects them maximally at the expense of the dwindling middle class and the teeming working poor. Otherwise, you might feel a sense of "impending doom" or think that American Democrats are "cowards", and really, REALLY, we're doing the best we possibly can, and we don't want to have the blood of millions on our hands (which is definitely not just going to happen anyways! DEFINITELY.).

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Kalman posted:

Per bag charges are actually pretty effective at reducing bag use, particularly if the bag fee is used for conservation and cleanup. DC (and a couple surrounding areas) have one and bag usage dropped a ton.

Oh yeah I think it's pretty great. I know I've definitely cut my usage down.

Good news, black America! Obama is going to make sure you won't be prosecuted for any crime, according to noted shithead Kris Kobach.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/kansas-kobach-breaks-new-anti-obama-ground

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Chocolate." ~ Bernie Sanders' response when asked what Ben & Jerry's flavor he'd use his clout to save if it was going to be discontinued.

Fact check: Ben & Jerry's does have a plain chocolate flavor, but it is only available at their branded scoop shops.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Please do.

That sort of child-swapping scam is one of the few real honest-to-god "welfare scams" around these days, in the sense of systematic exploitation of public benefits by private individuals. The nastiest form of it is adopting disabled children, accepting the bonus $$ from the state, then dropping the kids off at a long-term public institution in another state and keeping the $$ bonus.

quote:

Friday afternoon, Rep. Justin Harris and his wife Marsha held a press conference at the state Capitol to address the revelations in this week's Arkansas Times cover story about their failed adoption, which ended in the "rehoming" of two girls in a household where one of them was sexually abused. As Max Brantley wrote yesterday, it was an emotional statement. But extensive reporting we've done these past few days casts doubt upon crucial points in the narrative Justin Harris delivered Friday.

quote:

1) The Harrises weren't told what they were getting into. "We were misled by DHS to believe that the youngest two [sisters] did not have any severe issues," Harris said on Friday.

According to the Harts, those who worked on this adoption case attempted to talk the Harrises out of adopting the girls. A local team of people highly familiar with the case — including DHS caseworkers, the attorney ad litem and the foster family — felt the Harrises were not prepared to handle girls who had been subject to sexual abuse (especially considering the Harris household contained three young boys — not a good combination).

"DHS attempted to talk to them about the girls' issues, but I feel like they were in denial," Cheryl said. "They were very defensive about it. They repeatedly told us they had degrees in Early Childhood Development, they had therapists there at their preschool, and they had God to help them through this."

Cheryl said the local team recommended the adoption not proceed. The former DHS employee independently confirmed that this was the case.

"In one meeting in particular, we each went around the room and tried to sort of put all our cards on the table and say why this was a bad idea," Cheryl said. "Everybody used strong terminology and tried to deter them, and [the Harrises] kept saying, 'Yes we know, yes we know.'

"I asked them point blank, 'Why would you put your sons through that?' Because the oldest one at the time was aggressive — that’s how she learned to get things in her life. And they knew [the middle girl] had been sexually assaulted, and she would have some anger issues."

Harris told Petrimoulx yesterday that DHS "fought us the whole way" with the adoption, but it is important to clarify that these objections came from local staff workers familiar with the girls and their needs, and included concrete concerns about the appropriateness of the placement with the Harrises.

quote:

DCFS Director Cecile Blucker is the person ultimately in charge of adoption and foster care for the state of Arkansas. Harris said Blucker is the one who informed him of the possibility of an abandonment charge when he and Marsha were struggling to handle the girls. In the interview with Petrimoux, he said "I did go to her and ... we were told we could get the charge of abandonment ... I talked privately, constantly, being on the [House] committee of Children and Youth, with Cecile Blucker."

But the Harts believe Blucker's influence made the adoption happen in the first place. They say she exerted pressure on people in the local DHS team that had previously objected to the Harris adoption.

"In most conversations with us, [Harris] would mention Cecile's name. 'Well, Cecile said this, Cecile said that.' They were impatient for papers to be filed and did not want to wait for anything. They wanted it to happen faster than it did," Cheryl Hart said.

The Times asked the former DHS employee whether the wishes of the local adoption team were not followed because of Blucker. The former employee responded, simply, "True."

quote:

"And at the hearing, the ad litem attorney — you know, the one who is representing only the interests of the children — said, 'When we met less than a couple of days ago, everyone's recommendation was for these kids to not go to this home. Now, what has happened in the last 24 hours that everyone's recommendation has changed?'"

"Harris' face was getting all red," Cheryl said. "And the ad litem asked him, 'Did you make calls?' And he finally said, 'I did what I had to do to get these girls.' I expected the judge would [stop the adoption] but she gave them the oldest girl." The younger two soon followed.

quote:

Craig Hart was upset at the implication that the girls were unmanageable. "Our friends, our neighbors, our church — we can get as many character witnesses as you want for those girls," he said. "And also, they’re both small children for their age. Unless he gave them guns, they weren't dangerous."

He felt especially offended at Harris' statement yesterday that they had to "medicate" the middle child to prevent her from "hurting her sister." He said the middle girl displayed only affection and kindness towards her younger sister. "They loved each other. The older one was very protective of the younger one."

The Harts also put us in touch with Kyra Guthrie, a Fayetteville resident who sometimes provided respite care for the foster family. "I knew the girls for way over a year and spent many hours with them," Guthrie told the Times. "They're just normal little girls. They were very delightful, fun, energetic ... never an ounce of threats from them. They played with my adopted son in my home. I have two dogs, and they were also around our neighbors' dogs — never any problem, never any threat. When they'd sleep at my house, I'd sleep with my door wide open. I was never afraid of them."

quote:

5) The Harrises had no options for dealing with the girls after the adoption. The Harts say that they wanted to remain involved in the girls' lives, since the girls had grown attached to the Harts. But the Harrises stopped contacting the Harts as soon as the girls were in their home in West Fork.

"We still are in contact with a lot of our former fosters who have been adopted. They cut us off completely, quickly — they just thought they knew so much," Craig said.

"We offered to provide respite care for them, to give them relief, to help out any way that we could because we’d been living with them for a year and a half. They never once called us," Cheryl added.

quote:

It's also unclear how much contact the Harrises had with the girls when they were in the Francises' home. Justin Harris said yesterday that it was regular and ongoing, including doctors' appointments and check-ins. However, he also said that "around February of 2014 we were incorrectly informed by DHS that the Francises had sent the girls to live with another family. After meeting with the Francises, we learned that the girls were not with the new family, but the family was in the process of completing a DHS home study with the intention of having the girls live with them."

If the Harrises were in regular contact with the Francises about their adopted daughters, why were they not informed about this move to a new family?

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/03/07/foster-family-disputes-key-staments-from-justin-harris

In short, a well connected arkansas politician used his influence and connections to bypass regulations and the opinions of local child care experts to adopt kids, drugs them, cuts off all contact with them and previous care takers and child care officials, bypasses regulations again to send them packing to a non-vetted household, promptly loses all contact of them.

It's terrible.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I don't understand why he was so drat intent on adopting them in the first place. He had to fight tooth and nail and then cheat to adopt those kids, what was in it for him? Is all just about the money?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

How are u posted:

I don't understand why he was so drat intent on adopting them in the first place. He had to fight tooth and nail and then cheat to adopt those kids, what was in it for him? Is all just about the money?

Given how much scripture he's quoting it sounds like some sort of religious thing. Also possibly the money, but I would expect even a state rep to have better sources for graft.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

How are u posted:

probably he/his wife's vision of a perfect family included daughters, and they selfishly pursued their own needs above those of the girls. he already had three boys, to adopt three girls in one go is... ambitious? dunno the correct word. biting off more than he can chew. blinded by fantasy of some perfect home situation without realizing that taking care of emotionally abused orphans is in fact a hell of a lot of work and hardship

whatever, it's almost certainly not about the money. it's about pig ignorant decisions and unrealistic expectations, which is worse. the shameful thing is not that they adopted in the first place, but that they quietly tried to get rid of the kids to hide their failure

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
In other news, racism is completely unacceptable in America when not sufficiently obfuscated by polite language

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

How are u posted:

"We believe in the sanctity of life, and believe that all children should be born; we're proof that putting your kids up for adoption works, because we've adopted kids" or something along those lines probably plays fairly well with his voters.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maybe he's just REALLY into the Brady Bunch.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

Here's what you can expect this week from the US legislature:

McConnell pulled the bill that would require Congressional approval of the Iran deal after all the Democrats backed out when he attempted to short-circuit the committee markup process. It's back in the FR committee where its sponsors, Corker and Menendez, are trying to build a veto-proof majority of support before bringing it to the floor. They're not far off. I've read they've got around ten Democrats on board, so they only need a few more.

There will be hearings this week on the AUMF to combat ISIS, though there's no sign that it will be voted on any time soon. The confirmation of Loretta Lynch also appears stalled and there are Republican Senators asking McConnell not to bring it to the floor. But don't think the Senate isn't getting anything done! There's a bill to spend $1.5b to establish a foundation that will fight against human trafficking, which will be voted on this week and is (unsurprisingly) expected to pass without issue.

The House is not in session this week.

I'm guessing if the Iran bill passes with veto-proof majority that it would be seen as a huge political defeat for Obama?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

probably he/his wife's vision of a perfect family included daughters, and they selfishly pursued their own needs above those of the girls. he already had three boys, to adopt three girls in one go is... ambitious? dunno the correct word. biting off more than he can chew. blinded by fantasy of some perfect home situation without realizing that taking care of emotionally abused orphans is in fact a hell of a lot of work and hardship

whatever, it's almost certainly not about the money. it's about pig ignorant decisions and unrealistic expectations, which is worse. the shameful thing is not that they adopted in the first place, but that they quietly tried to get rid of the kids to hide their failure

And they gave them to a guy who looks like this (picture near the end of the article): http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/a-child-left-unprotected/Content?oid=3691164

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Between Florida attempting to censor the mention of climate change, McConnell trying to get state governors to rebel against CO2 regulations, red state governments attempting to thwart local environment regulations, and GOP senators trying their hardest to steer us towards war with Iran, I don't know what to think.

Nothing gives me that creeping sense of impending doom quite like reading USPol.

It's exactly these types of things that make the "I don't vote because they're both the same :smug:" people so eye rolling moronic. Even the "My vote wont count anyway" idiots, yes your presidential vote may not swing the results but if you'd ever gotten off your lazy rear end and looked at a ballot you may notice there's more than "President". States passed marijuana laws, gay marriage, minimum wage increases in 2014 but again and again "I'm in a red state so why bother".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm guessing if the Iran bill passes with veto-proof majority that it would be seen as a huge political defeat for Obama?

It'd be hard to read it any other way, though it would still need to get a 2/3rds majority in the House. Pelosi normally has full control over her conference, but might not on this issue.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mitt Romney posted:

Very much, yes. If Obama can leave office with a strong and growing economy, a major domestic program that is successfully helping people, and a strong foreign policy accomplishment that stabilizes the region he will have pulled off one hell of a hat trick. A president getting a big peace deal like this is a major accomplishment in the American system. Owing to how the system works, to do this and make it stick he needs to not only negotiate the deal, he then needs to sell congress on it to ratify, and sell the electorate to keep them from selecting a new group that will undue it. That costs a LOT of political capital, and as a result if he can do it it is a major win, and if it blows up in his face a major defeat. Which is a big part of why the GOP is so against it, it isn't just the warmongering views or their base's weird take on foreign policy, it is also their "Obama can't have any accomplishments as president, we must make him fail!"

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 9, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New DNC messaging and strategy document for 2016-2020 contains plans for returning to the "50-State Strategy."

quote:

The Democratic National Committee on Saturday released the interim findings of a review intended to examine problems in the midterm election. The report said Democrats lack a "cohesive narrative" and recommended that the party find ways to help it explain bedrock values such as fairness, equality and opportunity.

"So many people can rattle off easily and succinctly what it means to be a Republican. ... The perception of what it means to be a Democrat has really evolved to be a laundry list of policy statements and disparate ideas," said Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the Florida congresswoman who leads the DNC.

The work of a 10-person task force comes after Democrats were clobbered in November, surrendering control of the Senate to Republicans and allowing the GOP to pad its majority in the House. Republicans captured governor's offices in Massachusetts, Maryland and Illinois -- all safe Democratic states in presidential elections -- and strengthened its grip on state legislatures.

The losses have led to soul-searching among Democrats as they try to translate success in presidential elections under Barack Obama into midterm elections dominated by congressional campaigns. Many party leaders contend that Democrats should have run more aggressively on Obama's record last year and drawn sharp distinctions with Republicans.

"Whenever we let the other guys talk the way they talk about our president, about our leadership, about our values, we're going to lose," said Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy told the DNC on Thursday. He said too many Democrats tried to be "Republicans lite."

The report recommends a multiyear effort to prepare for the next round of congressional redistricting after the 2020 elections, wary of Republican clout in statehouses that will determine the new boundaries for members of Congress following the next census.

It calls for more financial support and training for state parties in a return to the principles behind the "50-state strategy" promoted by former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, who led the DNC from 2005 to 2009. That approach aimed to compete in state and local elections throughout the country, even in states dominated by Republicans.

Going to be tougher to implement in states where the Dems were wiped out of state and local offices. The 2010 midterms really screwed the party for at least a decade at the state, local, and congressional levels.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 9, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

UV_Catastrophe posted:

In other news, racism is completely unacceptable in America when not sufficiently obfuscated by polite language

They need to abolish the University of Oklahoma and probably the state of Oklahoma as well, just to be sure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mitt Romney posted:

Isn't the executive's authority over diplomatic matters something that's enshrined in the Constitution? If so then there's still the question of whether such a bill would even be legally binding. If Congress passed a veto-proof bill that stated "Congress shall have final say on all military matters" it'd get shot down because it'd be attempting to usurp the POTUS's role as CiC of the armed forces.

The Dems are stupid enough to try and hamstring Obama and themselves in 2016 for Israel, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looks like Tom Cotton and 46 other Congressional Republicans, who completely understands the Constitution, are attempting some foreign diplomacy on their own.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cotton also prepared a version in Farsi. He's been tweeting pictures of it at the Iranian government all afternoon.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Looks like Tom Cotton and 46 other Congressional Republicans, who completely understands the Constitution, are attempting some foreign diplomacy on their own.

How many Senators signed in?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

zoux posted:

list of Republican Senators who did not participate, for anybody interested:

Collins (of course)
Murkowski
Cochran
both Tennesseans
Coats
Flake

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 9, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

How many Senators signed in?

Senator Tom Cotton, R-AR
Senator Orrin Hatch, R-UT
Senator Charles Grassley, R-IA
Senator Mitch McConnell, R-KY
Senator Richard Shelby, R-AL
Senator John McCain, R-AZ
Senator James Inhofe, R-OK
Senator Pat Roberts, R-KS
Senator Jeff Sessions, R-AL
Senator Michael Enzi, R-WY
Senator Michael Crapo, R-ID
Senator Lindsey Graham, R-SC
Senator John Cornyn, R-TX
Senator Richard Burr, R-NC
Senator John Thune, R-SD
Senator Johnny Isakson, R-GA
Senator David Vitter, R-LA
Senator John A. Barrasso, R-WY
Senator Roger Wicker, R-MS
Senator Jim Risch, R-ID
Senator Mark Kirk, R-IL
Senator Roy Blunt, R-MO
Senator Jerry Moran, R-KS
Senator Rob Portman, R-OH
Senator John Boozman, R-AR
Senator Pat Toomey, R-PA
Senator John Hoeven, R-ND
Senator Marco Rubio, R-FL
Senator Ron Johnson, R-WI
Senator Rand Paul, R-KY
Senator Mike Lee, R-UT
Senator Kelly Ayotte, R-NH
Senator Dean Heller, R-NV
Senator Tim Scott, R-SC
Senator Ted Cruz, R-TX
Senator Deb Fischer, R-NE
Senator Shelley Moore Capito, R-WV
Senator Bill Cassidy, R-LA
Senator Cory Gardner, R-CO
Senator James Lankford, R-OK
Senator Steve Daines, R-MT
Senator Mike Rounds, R-SD
Senator David Perdue, R-GA
Senator Thom Tillis, R-NC
Senator Joni Ernst, R-IA
Senator Ben Sasse, R-NE
Senator Dan Sullivan, R-AK

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Quidam Viator posted:

OK everyone, this guy's an ACCELERATIONIST. I will assume now that I have no further work to do; the label has been applied.

PAGING OBDICUT. Why don't you PM this poor sap like you did me, and maybe you can convince HIM to post an accelerationism thread, and all your masturbatory dreams will come true. Prepare your anus, Crowsbeak. UsPol is coming to tell you how poo poo you are for not just going along at the pace they're going.

Plus they have so MANY other viable strategies for "mitigating the damage". Be sure to ask them all about the plans!

How's that persecution complex working out for you? :rolleyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know that I should know the whole thing by heart, but the Constitution doesn't specifically enumerate that foreign policy is the domain of the executive, does it?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
America is pretty bad, is my take from today's news.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I know that I should know the whole thing by heart, but the Constitution doesn't specifically enumerate that foreign policy is the domain of the executive, does it?

It does, actually. The Senate must approve written treaties but the President is given the power to "receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers" which is generally interpreted to mean everything else comprising "foreign policy".

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

President negotiates treaties and agreements, congress ratifies them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Senator Tom Cotton, R-AR
Senator John Thune, R-SD
Senator Jim Risch, R-ID
Senator Mark Kirk, R-IL
Senator Roy Blunt, R-MO
Senator Pat Toomey, R-PA
Senator Rand Paul, R-KY
Senator Mike Lee, R-UT
Senator Tim Scott, R-SC
Senator Ted Cruz, R-TX
Senator Joni Ernst, R-IA
Senator Ben Sasse, R-NE

Ding-dong! The deal is dead. Which old deal? The wicked deal! Ding-dong! The wicked deal is dead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Senator Tom Cotton, R-AR
Senator John Thune, R-SD
Senator Jim Risch, R-ID
Senator Mark Kirk, R-IL
Senator Roy Blunt, R-MO
Senator Pat Toomey, R-PA
Senator Rand Paul, R-KY
Senator Mike Lee, R-UT
Senator Tim Scott, R-SC
Senator Ted Cruz, R-TX
Senator Joni Ernst, R-IA
Senator Ben Sasse, R-NE

What, if anything, will happen in response to this? This seems really close to violating the Logan Act....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New DNC messaging and strategy document for 2016-2020 contains plans for returning to the "50-State Strategy."

Going to be tougher to implement in states where the Dems were wiped out of state and local offices. The 2010 midterms really screwed the party for at least a decade at the state, local, and congressional levels.
And yet no one in party leadership left or got fired after the last election. So I'll believe it when I see it.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

zoux posted:

This feels... mildly seditious? Am I crazy?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the day, "In our view, this letter has no legal value and is mostly a propaganda ploy." ~ Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Doesn't the Logan Act forbid this?

• Locked thread