Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So, brake checking is loving stupid. And passing people on the shoulder. And driving 30+mph over traffic.

That being said, why doesn't anyone here seem to have an issue with the Lexus driver tailgating the poo poo out of the Subaru?

From what's visible in that video, they're BOTH idiots, and pretty clearly in the wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Is it tailgaiting if someone passes you on the shoulder then cuts in front of you? The video description said it started right after the subaru passed the lexus.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

That being said, why doesn't anyone here seem to have an issue with the Lexus driver tailgating the poo poo out of the Subaru?

The Subaru is doing it on purpose, unless the Lexus driver just wanted to stop completely.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nsaP posted:

Is it tailgaiting if someone passes you on the shoulder then cuts in front of you? The video description said it started right after the subaru passed the lexus.
The wise thing to do when you see someone passing you on the shoulder is:

A) ignore it, and hope that he continues along his merry way
B) alter your speed or course a bit to open up a safe distance

Whether or not it was initially tailgating (and whether or not semantics matters), the Lexus pretty clearly tried to stay on his rear end after both of the brake checks, so yes, the Lexus driver was definitely tailgating the Subaru.

PaganGoatPants posted:

The Subaru is doing it on purpose, unless the Lexus driver just wanted to stop completely.
So is the lexus :ssh:

And the latter part, I disagree. The majority of the video, the prius it's being filmed from stays along side, and when he pans around, it's pretty obvious he's going the speed of traffic.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
We got 8 inches of snow yesterday and i just saw a white camry with all of its windows completely clear of snow! However the headlights were covered in at least 3 inches of snow. It was 9 at night :negative:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Torn Quad Jones posted:

We got 8 inches of snow yesterday and i just saw a white camry with all of its windows completely clear of snow! However the headlights were covered in at least 3 inches of snow. It was 9 at night :negative:

Can't win them all. :smith:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Krakkles posted:

So, brake checking is loving stupid. And driving 30+mph over traffic.

Nah. I call it a good start on a slow day.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Apparently this guy assumes he can go wherever he wants and ignore all the traffic laws because he's bigger than everyone else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9nuz921ZFg

(Seriously, I've been inside that thing and it is amazingly huge in person...)

Edit: For some actual on-topic content, here's a handful of morons who don't really get the whole "don't block the intersection" thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gxaf5uow08

Love how the SUV driver does a lil' burnout to express his displeasure at having his mid-intersection lane change interrupted and having to wait five seconds before he could go block the crosswalk on the other side. :saddowns:

Also, I came across this idiot earlier this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW64pchcmSE

I suppose you could chalk the inability to comprehend the phrase "NO LEFT TURN" up to adult illiteracy or something, but for gently caress's sake, if you don't know what side of the double yellow line your rear end is supposed to be on, you really shouldn't be driving.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 7, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

Edit: For some actual on-topic content, here's a handful of morons who don't really get the whole "don't block the intersection" thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gxaf5uow08

Love how the SUV driver does a lil' burnout to express his displeasure at having his mid-intersection lane change interrupted and having to wait five seconds before he could go block the crosswalk on the other side. :saddowns:

Also, I came across this idiot earlier this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW64pchcmSE

I suppose you could chalk the inability to comprehend the phrase "NO LEFT TURN" up to adult illiteracy or something, but for gently caress's sake, if you don't know what side of the double yellow line your rear end is supposed to be on, you really shouldn't be driving.

These are beautiful. I like the NO LEFT TURN right there the guy ignores. :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

On my way home, there's a SUV sitting in the median waiting to turn left. Car in front of me passes them, SUV darts into my lane. It was raining, so hitting the brakes would have meant t-boning them. Swerving hard would have meant hitting something except for them (and if I'm gonna hit something because of someone's stupidity, I'd rather I hit their car; at least that way I'm not on the hook for the repairs). Wound up just barely missing them by swerving into the next lane (I was sure I was going to at least lose a mirror). I'm guessing they had no idea why they got a 1 finger greeting once I got back into my lane, judging by the look I was getting at the next light.

Mom had something similar happen tonight, except the car in front of her wound up t-boning the car that pulled out. She stopped in time, though for some reason, her car died completely when the ABS kicked in (engine died, lights got really dim, ABS quit working and let the wheels lock up, and when she got home, the radio and clock had lost their settings) and she said she smelled rotten eggs from under the hood. I'm guessing the ABS motor pulls more power than the alternator puts out at low RPMs, and this battery has been flaky for a couple of months - it either spins the starter like a brand new battery, or needs a jump, there's no in-between. One of the cops that responded to the accident was nice enough to give her a jump, and the car is running fine (again). And I bet tomorrow when she goes back to the Interstate distributor, they'll pull the same "there's nothing wrong with the battery, stop trying to scam us out of a new battery" line again (I had issues with Interstate already, but when they pulled that on her, I swore I'd never buy from them again). The battery is visibly swelling this time though, and definitely smelled like sulphur when she got home. It's parked outside for the night just to be safe, and I'm going to put :10bux: on the battery being totally dead in the morning. I wasn't about to disconnect it (and risk a spark) when it smelled like that, I'd rather park the car outside for the night and deal with it once the hydrogen/sulphur isn't trying to kill me.

I did check voltage with the car running; it's around 14V at idle, 14.4V at 2000 RPM. There's definitely a blown diode in the alternator, as the lights flicker a bit at idle, but it's been that way since the car was 1 year old and hasn't gotten worse (or better).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Holy poo poo! Almost got murdered by a bus!

Waiting to turn left at a light, in the turning lane, BEHIND the stop line as is protocol. Bus makes a left turn and just barges through right into my lane. Thankfully there was nobody behind me and I was able to dump the car into reverse. As I'm dumping the clutch out in reverse I watch as the bus totally occupies the spot I had just been in less than a second before.

Totally fine if he didn't think he had enough room (he did if he'd turned differently), but you don't just mash the throttle and try to push your way through, you wait and signal to the driver for them to back up if needed.

Closest call I've been in so far this year. I hope this was one of the busses with 360* video, dude will be fired for sure.

vvv Sorta, it all happened so quick (and the bus was seriously loving flying). I got the route number, exact time, and location. They should be able to figure out the bus from that, but it's on them at this point to address it.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 9, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

revmoo posted:

Closest call I've been in so far this year. I hope this was one of the busses with 360* video, dude will be fired for sure.

Did you get the bus number and file a complaint? If not I seriously doubt the transit authority has the manpower to review hours upon hours of camera footage every day looking for driving infractions.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Here's a definite :nms: :nws:

http://imgur.com/gallery/FkZVPSl

Not sure if trying to play real life frogger or commit insurance fraud, either way, as they say "he ded"

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

Not sure if trying to play real life frogger or commit insurance fraud, either way, as they say "he ded"

Either way, if he hasn't claimed it from that hit he's certainly in the running for a Darwin Award.

e: Guy wearing trackpants, with a wingman, in Russia jumping in front of cars. I think we know what the goal was.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 9, 2015

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Maybe just straight up suicidal / mentally ill.

Holy gently caress dude.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Here's another winner, yes - let's beat up the 71 year old woman over the handicapped parking space:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fight-handicapped-parking-injures-71-year-old-article-1.2140116

quote:

“It’s not my fault the elderly woman bounced off my big t-----s,” Perkins allegedly told cops, according to a police report.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vanagoon posted:

Looks like he's trying to go in the cross walk and stops for the guy with the dashcam and but then looks over to where that car is going to be. Probably drunk. Looks survivable though.

Edit: spell gud

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Survivable, with a side of broken bones.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Vanagoon posted:

He bounced pretty well. I'd say he probably lived, and continued being an idiot.

Here's another loving idiot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLinBDbHx_Y

Playing chicken with a 44-tonne artic truck. I'm actually a little disappointed that it didn't teach him the ultimate lesson, stupid oval office will probably go and breed now.

So yeah, England has terminal loving idiots as well!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That's quite mind-safe, there's no gore or anything. I wish more complete loving morons would do us the service of getting pasted by cars.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Ignorance truly is bliss. The number of drivers I saw this morning who couldn't be bothered to turn on their headlights was frightening.

Why yes, we do jump forward an hour. That also means that sunrise is also an hour later, so turn your drat lights on.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xergm posted:

Ignorance truly is bliss. The number of drivers I saw this morning who couldn't be bothered to turn on their headlights was frightening.

Why yes, we do jump forward an hour. That also means that sunrise is also an hour later, so turn your drat lights on.

A couple days ago we hadn't had snow for days. I was stuck behind a sedan with every window covered completely in snow, with a little cleared off the driver's side of the windshield (I eventually passed them or I would have assumed that was covered too by the way they were driving.)

People suck.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

PCOS Bill posted:

A couple days ago we hadn't had snow for days. I was stuck behind a sedan with every window covered completely in snow, with a little cleared off the driver's side of the windshield (I eventually passed them or I would have assumed that was covered too by the way they were driving.)

People suck are loving morons.

FTFY

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Little out of column A, little out of column B

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

xergm posted:

I don't know for sure if you are referenced DLS time or something, but that doesn't matter anyway as we don't have it and so many grey, silver or black cars out there now. 20% don't use headlights at dawn/dusk, and I'll even see 1-2 driving at 1AM with no lights on if I walk down the street to the local shop, (invariably silver, grey or black cars too).
I'm not saying all cars should be lime green or yellow, but what the gently caress, people should be interested in not being involved in a crash ya know? And total fucksticks driving at night with no lights at all have no excuse. They are too dumb to have a drivers licence. E: off course speed cameras do not catch them (that's all we have for traffic infringements these days), and there's no cops on the road here to catch them, people failing to give way, keep out of the right(fast) lane, not paying attention etc. All we have is speed cameras.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 9, 2015

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Yeah, it's daylight saving time, which is why I was saying ignorance is bliss. I never noticed before because the sun was usually up enough that headlight use starts to become negligible. Adjusting for the lost hour, it was pretty dark out this morning, so the idiots became that much more obvious.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Vanagoon posted:

Here's another winner, yes - let's beat up the 71 year old woman over the handicapped parking space:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fight-handicapped-parking-injures-71-year-old-article-1.2140116

32 years old and assaulting an elderly lady over a handicap spot. If you're well enough to get out of your car and attack someone, you're probably okay to walk a few extra feet.

The worst part is the claim that the lady bounced off her tits. Maybe that wouldn't happen if you wouldn't aggressively approach her you idiot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

revmoo posted:

you don't just mash the throttle and try to push your way through, you wait and signal to the driver for them to back up if needed.

I thought that was standard bus driving practice.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

32 years old and assaulting an elderly lady over a handicap spot. If you're well enough to get out of your car and attack someone, you're probably okay to walk a few extra feet.

The worst part is the claim that the lady bounced off her tits. Maybe that wouldn't happen if you wouldn't aggressively approach her you idiot.

Even better: the 32 year old's license is expired and handicap placard is invalid. She was breaking laws to drive to a parking spot she wasn't legally allowed to park in, previous to knocking down a 71 year old and breaking her hip. The court is not going to look kindly upon her.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Uthor posted:

I thought that was standard bus driving practice.

Pretty much. 13 tons doesn't respond much differently whether you feather the throttle or punch it, and the 62 mph governor keeps you close to legal on anything with a speed limit of 55+. I'm saying this with about 50% hyperbole, but any time my boot wasn't on the brake, it was mashing the go button to the floor. The *thump* of the accelerator heard in the Tesla P85 videos reminded me of every stop light I ever left.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

revmoo posted:

Holy poo poo! Almost got murdered by a bus!

vvv Sorta, it all happened so quick (and the bus was seriously loving flying). I got the route number, exact time, and location. They should be able to figure out the bus from that, but it's on them at this point to address it.

That's more than enough to identify the bus, though the bus number along with date / time / location would be the gold standard. I know my local transit provider can easily identify the bus and operator from that info.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Two years ago I yelled at this guy because both of his regular brake lights were burned out, he never got it fixed. Today I find him parked next to my car at work with obvious rear end damage and some pretty serious scrapes along the drivers side of the vehicle. I wonder what happened....

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Oh, you meant that's not a shaved pilot sport cup?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

revmoo posted:

Thankfully there was nobody behind me and I was able to dump the car into reverse. As I'm dumping the clutch out in reverse I watch as the bus totally occupies the spot I had just been in less than a second before.
gently caress that is pretty scary and an incredible split second decision on your part dude.

I feel like if I were in that situation I'd sit there thinking, "he's a bus driver he's probably got this...hmm he's goin really fast...I could floor it in reverse but that's illegal isn't it?...why am I in a hospital?.."

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
A friend of my mum's who backed her sub-2-year-old BMW into a tree hard enough to cave the entire corner in is having her insurance policy voided because she lied about the driver awareness course she got sent on last time she got caught out. Now not only is she going to have to pay out for the repairs herself but she now gets to spend the next five years explaining to every insurer she goes to why the largest insurance group in the country voided her policy.

Its utterly deserved as well, as its less than a year since she got away with another claim after shooting out of a drive without looking and getting T-boned by a van. She's throwing a tantrum about it on Facebook saying she might give up driving altogether because of how unfair everyone is, and I hope she does because she's an utter menace.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

a tantrum about it on Facebook saying she might give up driving altogether

We can only hope.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

`Nemesis posted:

Two years ago I yelled at this guy because both of his regular brake lights were burned out, he never got it fixed. Today I find him parked next to my car at work with obvious rear end damage and some pretty serious scrapes along the drivers side of the vehicle. I wonder what happened....

Unfortunately, unless he had a dash cam or witnesses to back up the lack of functioning brake lights, the other driver is going to be seen at fault. :smith:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

xergm posted:

Uggghhhh, on my commute yesterday morning I went to change lanes, put on my blinker, check my mirror, looks fine, shoulder check as I start my transition and almost sideswipe a dark grey sedan with its lights off. The sun wasn't even close to up so I don't know why some people are just like "Well I didn't turn my lights on when I left for work on Friday, so why do it today even though it's loving dark as night out??"

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

eriddy posted:

I feel like if I were in that situation I'd sit there thinking, "he's a bus driver he's probably got this...hmm he's goin really fast...I could floor it in reverse but that's illegal isn't it?...why am I in a hospital?.."

It's a 16 ton vehicle with :lol: turbo lag that is probably moving at 5 or 10mph with good functioning brakes being piloted by a road rage maniac who sits in rush hour traffic for 17hrs a day, and they also knows an accident will rape their license and it will take a minimum of 2 hours for safety to clear them from the scene. Mandatory time off for retraining will also mean another month of Ramen three times a day. Checkmate bus driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Midniter posted:

Uggghhhh, on my commute yesterday morning I went to change lanes, put on my blinker, check my mirror, looks fine, shoulder check as I start my transition and almost sideswipe a dark grey sedan with its lights off. The sun wasn't even close to up so I don't know why some people are just like "Well I didn't turn my lights on when I left for work on Friday, so why do it today even though it's loving dark as night out??"

Yeah, really. Are people making the decision whether or not to turn on their lights by looking at their clock instead of, you know, whether it's dark out? That seems like unnecessary work.