Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Don't click on any of the items, just click and drag the number to trade in the middle itself. Took me a long while clicking around to figure it out too.

Thanks, it was working it was just a really strange interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I really don't like the interface. Super clunky and unintuitive

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Heffer posted:

I really don't like the interface. Super clunky and unintuitive

You get used to it, but EdB Interface helps.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
What are scythers supposed to look like, exactly? They look like weird vaccuum cleaners with guns.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Inacio posted:

You get used to it, but EdB Interface helps.

I meant for trading. I don't think my EdB mod affects that?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Heffer posted:

I meant for trading. I don't think my EdB mod affects that?

Oh, I'm sorry, I totally messed that up.

Yeah, it doesn't change the (weird) trade UI.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
It's weird, but functional enough once you get the hang of it.

Not too long ago somebody on the Ludeon forums submitted an alternate trade interface design, and Tynan expressed interest in it, so at least there's a chance it might change at some point in the future.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I've tried playing several colonies on the hardest difficulty, and drat do they start to hit hard.

I am being almost constantly besieged by 1 or 2 hostiles. now that shells cost 10 steel each, there's not a good counter to this. I can barely get back up and running again before the next starts. They also seem to be very proficient at hitting my turrets, so I lose almost all of them each fight.

Still, I was holding my own for a good long while. Winter was hard because they kept hitting all my solar panels and cutting the power to my hydroponics and so my people were having to run out and hunt DURING sieges, and run back if they start to attack... which they only do once i've whittled them down way farther than I used to have to do on an easier setting. They'll stick around til there are only 2 of them left, just shelling my base. I need to find an underground geothermal, quick! :P

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

crabrock posted:

I've tried playing several colonies on the hardest difficulty, and drat do they start to hit hard.

I am being almost constantly besieged by 1 or 2 hostiles. now that shells cost 10 steel each, there's not a good counter to this. I can barely get back up and running again before the next starts. They also seem to be very proficient at hitting my turrets, so I lose almost all of them each fight.

Still, I was holding my own for a good long while. Winter was hard because they kept hitting all my solar panels and cutting the power to my hydroponics and so my people were having to run out and hunt DURING sieges, and run back if they start to attack... which they only do once i've whittled them down way farther than I used to have to do on an easier setting. They'll stick around til there are only 2 of them left, just shelling my base. I need to find an underground geothermal, quick! :P

I rarely use mortars anymore, preferring to send an A-team of crack sniper shots to pick off the besiegers instead. Works especially well if you give them all bionic eyes, since the sight stat greatly influences shooting accuracy.

Alternatively, play with the icesheet mod and watch them all collapse and die within a day of setting up their camp. :gibs:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This game is terribly addicting :(

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Flesh Forge posted:

This game is terribly addicting :(

I introduced my gf to RW yesterday and she was up until 4am :)

On heating: Her indoor colony is too cold at the moment. She has a ~16x10 central roofed area where her heater is set up and bedrooms are behind closed doors surrounding that central room (wooden walls, wooden doors). Is it just a matter of waiting for the heat to dissipate through the walls? Or is there a better way besides her current solution of deconstructing the doors to allow heat in ?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I highly recommend the vents mod. Temperature control is kind of dumb and unintuitive without it. See: Her problem.

e: I prefer central heating over the newer one because active vents are silly.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

spider wisdom posted:

On heating: Her indoor colony is too cold at the moment. She has a ~16x10 central roofed area where her heater is set up and bedrooms are behind closed doors surrounding that central room (wooden walls, wooden doors). Is it just a matter of waiting for the heat to dissipate through the walls? Or is there a better way besides her current solution of deconstructing the doors to allow heat in ?

I don't know if I'm misreading you but one heater is not remotely enough for such a large area if it's really cold outside.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

spider wisdom posted:

As above, try the Central Heating mod, it adds large heaters for big rooms, and vents to more easily spread the heat to closed rooms like bedrooms.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Fishstick posted:

As above, try the Central Heating mod, it adds large heaters for big rooms, and vents to more easily spread the heat to closed rooms like bedrooms.

That one's not updated, Latta's made an updated fork of it, with active vents, too, it's really nice.

SubNat posted:

Latta's RedistHeat : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11056.0
The original mod Central Heating hasn't been updated in a while, so Latta stepped up to update it.
Adds more variety to heating/cooling setups in the game.

Highlight: Vents and Active Vents, wall-blocks that allow you to easier equalize temperature between rooms.
Also an Industrial Heater, for more energy efficient, large scale heating.

The active vents are powered vents that can enable/disable if wanted, so you can cool a tundra freezer by letting in cold air fall/winter/spring, and have it closed during the summer days.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
I just streamed this for some friends.

We captured an aspergers sufferer and harvested his lung for one of our colonists.

Gosh.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I got the Asperger's Rebel guy, whose :airquote: crippling mental disorder :airquote: actually made him perfectly qualified to be a government spy and hitman

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I just had an escape pod come crashing down and the occupant is labeled as a space refugee. Does it matter if I rescue or capture the pawn? I want them to join me and I'm worried that if I rescue them they'll just run off when healed.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Capture people that you want to have join you, Rescue people that you want to release.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

'Rescue' gives you a faction standings bonus, for factions that aren't hostile (according to the dev dude's video on the topic)

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
But the person who crashed down is listed as "space refugee". Is that really a faction?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Spaseman posted:

But the person who crashed down is listed as "space refugee". Is that really a faction?

No. If you 'rescued' them you would just heal them and let them go and get nothing from it, instead of capturing them to heal them and recruit them to your side.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Spaseman posted:

I just had an escape pod come crashing down and the occupant is labeled as a space refugee. Does it matter if I rescue or capture the pawn? I want them to join me and I'm worried that if I rescue them they'll just run off when healed.

That's exactly what they'll do. As others have said, when you rescue neutrals you get a relations boost with their faction. However, that's only really relevant with the planet-based factions. Space refugees aren't represented by any faction on the planet, so rescuing them is pretty pointless right now (unless you're roleplaying it, I guess). You might as well capture them.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm really tempted right now to catch dudes from other tribes, harvest their organs, cook the rest into meals and then try and offer them as space gifts to said tribes.

Dunno if it'll let me space-gift long-pork though.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 9, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Someone in the Dwarf Fortress thread said this game is really good so I bought it. Is there some equivalent to the Captain Duck tutorials I should watch? Because I tried to just jump in and had no idea what I was doing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It was me, I am that person, and all of the 'getting started' tutorial type things I've found are for really old versions of Rimworld. There's a wiki though!

http://rimworldwiki.com

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

Someone in the Dwarf Fortress thread said this game is really good so I bought it. Is there some equivalent to the Captain Duck tutorials I should watch? Because I tried to just jump in and had no idea what I was doing.

First priorities are bedroom (one room 3 floor sleeping spots to start), growing zones (Berries and corn work pretty well) and power supply with kitchen. Then stuff like research benches/turrets/crafting.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Any advice for choosing an easy first embark location?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Temperate zone, Mountains, March -> October growing season, 21~ degree temp average is the friendliest start.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Warmer climates where the growing season is 'always' can also be pretty friendly.

You can grow crops year round then, and you only need to plan for the warmer months. On the flip side, larger chance of ridiculous heatwaves and more dangerous fauna.

Mountains in general are really nice, as they give you access to a lot of metal, as well as making it far easier to fortify yourself.

Areas with more rainfall are also nice, as they'll put out all outdoors fires.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

What size growing zones should I be starting with?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I like to do a 6x6 each of potatoes and strawberries, with someone on eternal kitchen duty, and that works all the way up to about a dozen colonists. Complement with meat for fine meals to maximize your farmland efficiency.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 9, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I usually start with two zones around 30 tiles each, something like 3x7. I'm not sure if it matters a whole lot, but I tend to have a different crop in each zone. Just pay attention if your prepared meal stocks increase or decrease and adjust as needed. Might want to add a xerigium plot to secure medicine source early.

Is there a way to mine / make plasteel or am I supposed to just buy it or melt weapons? Also, is there currently a point to friendly outposts or tribes visiting my base? Like, can I trade with them, recruit or increase relations while they're here?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

If you get lucky you can find compacted plasteel deposits, but that's it. As for friendly factions, apparently they can come to your defense during an attack, but I've never bothered bribing them up myself.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You start with an assortment of wood and steel, and imo there is no reason not to just build three queen size wooden beds rather than make your poor survivors use the minimum quality sleeping spots.

For plasteel, you will get some back from disassembling mechanoid invaders once you unlock the machinist bench and build one.

Also you really, really want to build your long term farm next to your long term fridge and cooking stove. If they're spread out very much at all, whoever is cooking has to waste enormous amounts of time shuttling ingredients back and forth. You're familiar with this from DF but it's much worse in Rimworld, if there's a big distance between farm and kitchen/cold storage then you will need more than one cook stove (and operator) to keep up with feeding people, especially if some of it gets wasted due to colonists barfing it up and immediately gobbling up more (colonists all have bulemia).

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 9, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I called them for help once and it wasn't really worth it. They kinda leisurely strolled to my besieged base and didn't even attack unless provoked. But I meant if there is anything to do when they randomly appear to visit every once in a while.

Oh, and another one: any point to dandelion plantations? Do they at least give a postive thought or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sub Rosa posted:

What size growing zones should I be starting with?

Depends on whether you have rich soil and how good your growers are.

Ideally you want your growers to be growing all the time, so you want enough zone to have them be constantly planting, this will depend on what you're growing and how quickly it grows, as well as how fast they work. If you end up with too much food, turn off the fields for a while.

grate deceiver posted:

I called them for help once and it wasn't really worth it. They kinda leisurely strolled to my besieged base and didn't even attack unless provoked. But I meant if there is anything to do when they randomly appear to visit every once in a while.

Oh, and another one: any point to dandelion plantations? Do they at least give a postive thought or something?

Flowers of all kinds add beauty to an area, personally I like roses as they last longer and so take less work. Also I like red.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Somebody told me that colonists can eat strawberries raw while potatoes incur a penalty so I've stopped growing the latter and kept to the former.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think they need to adjust the amount a person hauls or do something with the hauling system. My colonists can almost never keep up with all the hauling that needs done, and thats with toolbelt mods that increase productivity.

Cmon you fat fucks I think you can carry more than 1 medicine at once or whatever. Seems like the time to complete a task is way out of line with the amount of tasks that need done.

Or even a temporary zone option where all colonists will focus on completing any work available in a given area, so you could drag and drop and they would only focus there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In case you have not noticed, if you want to build hospital beds then you pretty much have to trade for the medicine required, the growable medicine plant does not count for the building materials.