Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It was changed a few versions ago, creatures need to be able to be within a tile from each-other in order to produce offspring. There's no action involved, it's just a reduction in range of the old spore mechanic.

And there's gelding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

my dad posted:

It was changed a few versions ago, creatures need to be able to be within a tile from each-other in order to produce offspring. There's no action involved, it's just a reduction in range of the old spore mechanic.

And there's gelding.

Oh. Well maybe I need to reduce the number of nest boxes and use a smaller room then.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Will nobles require gelding of dwarves as a punishment?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Turtlicious posted:

Will nobles require gelding of dwarves as a punishment?

Preemptively geld the nobles?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Oh man, procedurally generated martial arts sounds loving incredible.

Omi is a hand-to-hand combat style founded by Ari Bellowcrescent in the Belts of Rain. It mainly focuses on the use of rapid palm strikes and also incorporates sweeping acrobatic kicks. It is intended for self-defense. Its traditions are somewhat spiritual in nature, but mostly grounded in practical experience.

The Bathing Hound Advance is a signature technique of Omi. It is a sequence of rapid feints followed by a sidestep and a spectacular whirling kick aimed at the lower body. It is accompanied by a terrifying war cry. It was first demonstrated by Ari Bellowcrescent in the Belts of Rain and is moderately challenging to master.

The Meditation of Mule-Temples is a signature technique of Omi. It is a distraction strike to the front upper teeth followed by an aggressive leap and a bold aerial headbutt aimed at the left fourth toe. It is announced by name when performed. It was first demonstrated by Cog Furnacerounds in the Belts of Rain and is incredibly difficult to master.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Angry Diplomat posted:

Omi is a hand-to-hand combat style founded by Ari Bellowcrescent in the Belts of Rain. It mainly focuses on the use of rapid palm strikes and also incorporates sweeping acrobatic kicks. It is intended for self-defense. Its traditions are somewhat spiritual in nature, but mostly grounded in practical experience.

The Bathing Hound Advance is a signature technique of Omi. It is a sequence of rapid feints followed by a sidestep and a spectacular whirling kick aimed at the lower body. It is accompanied by a terrifying war cry. It was first demonstrated by Ari Bellowcrescent in the Belts of Rain and is moderately challenging to master.

The Meditation of Mule-Temples is a signature technique of Omi. It is a distraction strike to the front upper teeth followed by an aggressive leap and a bold aerial headbutt aimed at the left fourth toe. It is announced by name when performed. It was first demonstrated by Cog Furnacerounds in the Belts of Rain and is incredibly difficult to master.

I need this.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sweet Armok, yes

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Egg fertility is determined at the moment they are laid. They will never go from being unfertilized to being fertilized within the nestbox or anywhere else for that matter. Take them away and eat them or throw them at goblins or whatever and hope the next clutch is viable. Make sure the male is in the same pasture / room / whatever your setup is as the females are. Also make sure your peacock isn't gay like mine was.

Luckily the elves bought a pair of tame giant black mambas so I am now raising a very different sort of egglaying livestock.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder if I could write a dfhack plugin that auto-forbid fertilized eggs but left the rest available for use as food.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I think my merchants brought a stealthed werellama goblin with them. I can't find the corpse, but everyone's horrified, one of the merchants is dead, and the rest are refusing to budge.

I fear a loyalty cascade approaches. Will my dwarves still implode if the merchants go insane and attack?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Replace wrestling with martial arts and we have the best combat system ever.

Crouching goblin. Hidden elephant.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hihohe posted:

Replace wrestling with martial arts and we have the best combat system ever.

Crouching goblin. Hidden elephant.

Combine it with the magic system for maximum results. "Through controlled breathing, this combat style inflicts extra damage upon vampires and undead."

It would actually make sense that a fort in a Terrifying biome might develop specialized combat forms to fight undead, the way a fort in the middle of Goblin country might get really good at fighting Goblins. There really is something worth looking at there. Someone page Toady.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I think Toady said that he planned to use more or less the same idea for combat styles, but the arts just came first.

Anyway, what I can't wait for is the bugs - pets joining their owners in song, or an undead army breaking into a dance number in the middle of a siege.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
A groundhog killing your adventurer outright by stopping his heart with an ancient secret death-punch technique it learned from a donkey that studied under an elf master after its human merchant owner was killed by a dragon, also with an ancient secret death-punch technique.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Esme posted:

pets joining their owners in song, or an undead army breaking into a dance number in the middle of a siege.

Explain how either one of those would be classified as a bug

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
because the latter is a michael jackson video clip

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

program666 posted:

because the latter is a michael jackson video clip

"The hints that we were actually living inside a simulation became, at the end, so glaringly obvious that in retrospect we should have realized it 50 years before we finally did."

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e: you know what, I don't know nor care to find out if geldable body parts ARE, in fact, a requirement.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 9, 2015

Erin Esurance Waifu
Sep 28, 2006
I just had a swordsdwarf I trained in a danger room die in the middle of watching a demonstration. The wooden spikes had mangled his ears in the danger room a few seasons ago and I think he died from a damned infection.

EDIT: I just pulled up the show all wounds health tab in DT and it shows every single dwarf I trained in the danger room has some undiagnosed infection somewhere. I see some "fun" in my future!

EDIT the 2nd: It turns out that this is a known issue since cartilage and nails are both set to not heal in the raws, they will linger forever and death by blood loss and infection will eventually happen. Ten seconds editing the raws and when I booted the game back up the rest of my military went to go get their gaping ear holes cleaned and sutured. Better luck next time sepsis!

Erin Esurance Waifu fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 10, 2015

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Erin Esurance Waifu posted:

I just had a swordsdwarf I trained in a danger room die in the middle of watching a demonstration. The wooden spikes had mangled his ears in the danger room a few seasons ago and I think he died from a damned infection.

He probably bled out because cartilage never stops bleeding

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

awesmoe posted:

He probably bled out because cartilage never stops bleeding

the worst part is that dwarves know to to treat broken ears/noses/whatever, they just never go to the hospital for it

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Excelzior posted:

e: you know what, I don't know nor care to find out if geldable body parts ARE, in fact, a requirement.

To have babies? Nope. You can't geld a lot of things that'll still produce offspring.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Mr. Glass posted:

Yeah, it would be really cool to see the procedural dance stuff cross over into martial arts and military skills.

I'll bet a dollar that when someone gets around to modding in Elves in Masterwork, this will be a thing.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I'll bet a dollar that when someone gets around to modding in Elves in Masterwork, this will be a thing.

Angband-style elves, who never stop singing as they cut all your dudes to pieces.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
this seems a bit like pratchett elves, pratchett elves best elves

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Do either of those kind of elves eat you after they're done singing and chopping?

DF elves, best elves.

Erin Esurance Waifu
Sep 28, 2006
So I think I might see a siege or two with this fort...

Erin Esurance Waifu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 10, 2015

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The year is 250. All of dwarven land is occupied by The Anguished Barbarity. Well... not entirely. One small fortress of indomitable dwarves holds out against the invasion.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Similar thing happened to one of my forts. Then 2 sieges came which was nice and fun. Then nothing else so far. Kind disappointing really.

Really wish there was an option for regular sieges to show up even if they a generated out of thin air.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheCIASentMe posted:

Really wish there was an option for regular sieges to show up even if they a generated out of thin air.

This script will let you force sieges (or migrants) from dfhack.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

This script will let you force sieges (or migrants) from dfhack.

I believe that doesn't work in DF 2014

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Hihohe posted:

The year is 250. All of dwarven land is occupied by The Anguished Barbarity. Well... not entirely. One small fortress of indomitable dwarves holds out against the invasion.

These goblins are crazy!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Using the lazy newb pack, I've restarted my fort about 10 times. I never, ever get any invaders. Every now and then I get a forgotten beast. I have invaders on in the pack.

I even regenerated the world several times.

I remember last time I played (df2010) I would have goblins and kobolds left and right. I'm running a small world, 100 year history, and there's plenty of enemy civs. Any idea how I can flag these on? Running a peaceful fort is super boring.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Verdugo posted:

Using the lazy newb pack, I've restarted my fort about 10 times. I never, ever get any invaders. Every now and then I get a forgotten beast. I have invaders on in the pack.

I remember last time I played (df2010) I would have goblins and kobolds left and right. I'm running a small world, 100 year history, and there's plenty of enemy civs. Any idea how I can flag these on? Running a peaceful fort is super boring.

At embark, make sure to hit Tab a couple-few times to see nearby civs. Make sure goblins are present and that you're at war with them. Once that's done, crank out useless crafts and expensive-rear end items, really get that fort value up. If it still doesn't happen, Hell, I dunno. Maybe redownload DF?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Verdugo posted:

Okay, there are a bunch of things that go into this.

In DF2014 sieges have to come from real places with real goblins and they actually travel to get where they're going. That means if no goblins live within 30 tiles of you, no sieges, so check for goblins when you embark.

Theoretically if they're too depopulated or something happens to the siege camp on the way, no sieges -- there was a bug some versions ago where they would just camp forever, but if the LNP is updated to 40.24 that should be fixed already. Double-check and see.

This also means that you probably won't actually get attacked until your fort gets big enough for goblins to notice, plus however long it takes them to travel to your fort. So try getting your fort to 80+ dwarves and then waiting a year or two on top of that before writing it off.

Finally, if you don't want to run a huge fort, you can mod goblins to attack at much lower thresholds of population, created wealth, and exported wealth. (In the past meeting any one category was sufficient, but based on what I've seen in DF2014 that seems very suspect.) If you want to go down this route, go into entity_default.txt in the raws and change all the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER] values in the goblin entry to 1 or 2 instead of 3. (1 equals 20 population, 2 equals 50, 3 equals 80. I'm not sure what they map to for the production and trade but basically just set them all to 1 and if you get goblins too soon you can turn them back up.)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not sure what they map to for the production and trade but basically just set them all to 1 and if you get goblins too soon you can turn them back up.

0: disabled
1: 500
2: 2500
3: 10000
4: 20000
5: 30000

The entity token page has all of the information.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

I've been using it for migrants and caravans in the latest version of the starter pack, it just doesn't seem to work for the first few months after embarking for some reason. Haven't tried seiging myself yet though.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Sub Rosa posted:

I just realized that since sieges are triggered by total created wealth, a massive weapons stockpile actually makes sieges more likely.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I know sieges are supposed to come from real places, but I've reloaded a save game to just before a siege arrived and never had it appear, instead getting a different kind of event(were-creature or whatever) on the same day.

Do they just turn up instantaneously on your map after the civ decides to send them, and this time the civ decided not to send them? Or did something happen to the army in transit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Dashticle posted:

I know sieges are supposed to come from real places, but I've reloaded a save game to just before a siege arrived and never had it appear, instead getting a different kind of event(were-creature or whatever) on the same day.

Do they just turn up instantaneously on your map after the civ decides to send them, and this time the civ decided not to send them? Or did something happen to the army in transit?

Were creature encountered them and killed them all? Or maybe last time they killed the were creature?

I know once I had a siege happen to me within the first year that was likely a siege intended for another site seeing as how they entered one side of the map and beelined to the other side of the map and left.