Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ariza posted:

It's amazing how some people like one of the longest running & popular animated shows on TV? Are you retarded?

Family Guy and Sunny actually have some things in common when it comes to the kind of jokes they want to tell, but the execution is very different. Just look at the way they told the same joke: Family Guy races to the finish, Sunny builds it slowly and lets the audience have some fun with the weirdness. I wouldn't think fans of one would really be able to put up with the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Family guy has characters which are all clearly caricatures of people Seth hates and thinks he's better than, Sunny just has characters which are funny due to their personalities and are not making fun of any stereotype in particular.

With that said I still watch family guy on occasion.

Why are we talking about family guy, can we talk about american dad instead?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Why are we talking about family guy, can we talk about american dad instead?

how about neither in the Sunny thread? ok? ok.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Guys lets maintain the structural integrity of the thread please. This is tviv. We dont go off topic.

Anybody have a cool analysis i can read on the wardrobe choices for the last ep?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

how about neither in the Sunny thread? ok? ok.

can we talk about the mail, please, ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.? I've been dying to talk about the mail with you all day, okay?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Aye Doc posted:

can we talk about the mail, please, ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.? I've been dying to talk about the mail with you all day, okay?

Take it to Carol in HR.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Take it to Carol in HR.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Barney, give this guy a cigarette, he's freakin' out.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

there is. no. Carol in HR. Mac, half the employees in this building have been made up! this office is a goddamn ghost town!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Brock Samson posted:

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

All of these people exist and they've been asking where their mail is for weeks!

E: BOW BOW chick... Chicka chickaaaaa

Uhh are you sure how does that movie end dude?

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
Enjoyed the episode so much.

Gotta admit. I have never seen Key & Peele but seeing Keegan-Michael Key in Parks & Rec, The Middle and now Always Sunny all in the space of a fortnight makes me really appreciate his acting ability.

Wonder how much of Dennis meltdown is down to having to live with Dee now.

Makes me wonder if Dee's place will burn down and Dennis, Mac and Dee have to live in the bar whilst Charlie and Frank live their more 'sophisticated' apartment dweller lifestyle...

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

NowonSA posted:

Glad I helped lead you to it, it's probably my favorite episode of the season. It's nice to see a show put some real effort into directing/shooting. There are far too many shows that just toss out the same lazy camera angles week after week in the same three or four sets. You can go too far the other way with unnecessarily directorial flourishes of course (Oceans 11 comes to mind in that regard), and I'm not asking for long shots/takes all the time, but just something to show that you aren't just cashing a paycheck, you know?

Yeah the hand held cam and so much more of the bar being shown was great.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Awful app submitted twice

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

wizardstick posted:

Gotta admit. I have never seen Key & Peele but seeing Keegan-Michael Key in Parks & Rec, The Middle and now Always Sunny all in the space of a fortnight makes me really appreciate his acting ability.

Check out Fargo (the tv series) too if you haven't seen it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Or perhaps better still, "How Dennis Got His Groove Initially".

If one is allowed to blatantly steal a joke title from NSTF:SD:SUV:: of course.

Sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of me hitting the Blow Thread Up button.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Everyone shut up about Family Guy. The "I was in the survey" joke has been done a million times by just about every show that has ever done a Family Feud parody, not just FG and IASIP. Hell, SNL just did it just last season. The joke is old hat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Last episode had some strong points, but it fizzled out at the end.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Brocktoon posted:

Everyone shut up about Family Guy. The "I was in the survey" joke has been done a million times by just about every show that has ever done a Family Feud parody, not just FG and IASIP. Hell, SNL just did it just last season. The joke is old hat.

I've never seen it so it was new to me!

But anyway, yeah that episode was kinda weak and the only one really killing it was Dee.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

King Vidiot posted:

I've never seen it so it was new to me!

But anyway, yeah that episode was kinda weak and the only one really killing it was Dee.

It doesn't help that Dennis got most of the spotlight, when his arc in the episode was just kind of dark and not darkly funny.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It doesn't help that Dennis got most of the spotlight, when his arc in the episode was just kind of dark and not darkly funny.

I kind of liked it. He was doing what he could to put on airs but he couldn't pull it off. His narcissism can't get it up anymore.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I get where everybody's coming from with the relative distaste for Dennis in this past episode and this season in general but I'm kind of ok with that cause I think it's just Glenn wanting to explore the character emotionally, he's a fantastic actor and it's not surprising to me that Dennis is the character that generally demonstrates the most emotional change during the course of the series in general, I think that this past season and particularly this last episode we're definitely seeing Dennis growing to realize that his peak is long past him and that he might be the most deluded member of the gang, in the past he always had his vanity and narcissism he'd use as a safety net whenever his own failings and flaws brought crashing down to new embarassing lows, we've very rarely seen Dennis 'vulnerable' before, these past few episodes he's not only had a near nervous breakdown on national TV but also had brief moments where he admitted to needing the gang around him.

I think that all-in-all Glenn pulls it off, even when sometimes it comes off as more sad than funny. We've still had some hilarious Dennis moments this season, fewer than previous seasons maybe but not few enough to get me to complain.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It is high time Dennis realized that, despite being a golden god and I! I! Iiiiii! that he still ends up hanging around his sister and his loser alcoholic highschool friends in an empty dive bar. How long can one keep up a false reality while the gap between delusion and actuality grows wider?

As dark as it would be, Dennis struggling with suicidal depression would be a real treat.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Brawnfire posted:

It is high time Dennis realized that, despite being a golden god and I! I! Iiiiii! that he still ends up hanging around his sister and his loser alcoholic highschool friends in an empty dive bar. How long can one keep up a false reality while the gap between delusion and actuality grows wider?

As dark as it would be, Dennis struggling with suicidal depression would be a real treat.

This hits the nail on the head for me. Even though in the show's universe even in Season 1 they've all been together for years, it would be a little weird (and dare I say we would be complaining about THIS then) if Dennis was still as confident and narcissistic as he was in S2-4 even after we've personally seen him basically never succeed at anything ever and continue to hatch harebrained schemes with his drunk loser friends. He still tries to put on airs, even as the rest of the crew ignores him, but lately they've even begun to rally against him. Glenn is a fantastic actor and the gang is really good at writing so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we were building to a "Gang Broke Dennis"-type of episode.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Advice posted:

This hits the nail on the head for me. Even though in the show's universe even in Season 1 they've all been together for years, it would be a little weird (and dare I say we would be complaining about THIS then) if Dennis was still as confident and narcissistic as he was in S2-4 even after we've personally seen him basically never succeed at anything ever and continue to hatch harebrained schemes with his drunk loser friends. He still tries to put on airs, even as the rest of the crew ignores him, but lately they've even begun to rally against him. Glenn is a fantastic actor and the gang is really good at writing so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we were building to a "Gang Broke Dennis"-type of episode.

But they already broke Dennis, at the end of "The Gang Broke Dee" episode at the start of season 9. That's really when this all started, not this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FabP6Ym4_Es

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I agree with all of this, I just think that it should have been left out or not received so much spotlight in an episode that's supposed to be just a little slice of fun. I can't really even complain though since I still enjoyed the episode a lot.

I hope they actually do have a payoff for his descent into madness and depression and I have a strong feeling that they do.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If we're talking Dennis trauma, it's going to be hard to top Frank tricking Dennis into digging up his dead mom.

:qq: My mommy's a skeleton! :qq:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

King Vidiot posted:

If we're talking Dennis trauma, it's going to be hard to top Frank tricking Dennis into digging up his dead mom.

Pfft, what a bozo :rolleyes:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm really looking forward to finding out why Frank was all grey and on a scooter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I feel too much! I FEEL TOO MUCH! :gonk:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUzBK5O3wBM

Always cracks me up

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

But they already broke Dennis, at the end of "The Gang Broke Dee" episode at the start of season 9. That's really when this all started, not this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FabP6Ym4_Es

His forced laugh is incredible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Brawnfire posted:

I'm really looking forward to finding out why Frank was all grey and on a scooter.

He was hanging with his mortician friend.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I just realized that Frank basically inserted himself into his estranged kids' lives, then proceeded to become closer with their friends and break them down psychologically.

In any other show I would hate his guts, but drat I can't help but love him and his crazy antics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FELD1 posted:

I just realized that Frank basically inserted himself into his estranged kids' lives, then proceeded to become closer with their friends and break them down psychologically.

In any other show I would hate his guts, but drat I can't help but love him and his crazy antics.

Then find out one of their friends might be his kid, adopt the other, and discover his estranged kids real father is a kiddy diddler.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

Then find out one of their friends might be his kid, adopt the other, and discover his estranged kids real father is a kiddy diddler.

I think you may be confusing the show with real life a little

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

timp posted:

I think you may be confusing the show with real life a little

Okay just the part about the twins real dad, but Dee was a mistake.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FELD1 posted:

I love how quickly he got a read on the group, too. "I'd really like to hang out with Mac, because I have a feeling I could easily manipulate him into doing anything I want!"

Frank is basically a human Bender :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Brawnfire posted:

I think this could really work, yeah. The show has shown pretty well that it knows how to handle suicide in a funny way, like when Frank tries to hang himself in the middle of trying to sell poo poo door-to-door.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"I'm tough"

"You've tried to kill yourself twice today!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hell, it could be a great titlecard joke.

Dennis "I think it's about time I made a change. Stop talking about being better, and actually improve my life.""

DENNIS COMMITS SUICIDE