Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

hillo posted:

What if you actually are bad

I've been watching those "DSP Experiences Bugged _______ Mechanics" videos and I can't decide which one he is. Is he really bad at games? Is it all an act? Either way, how can this guy go to sleep every night knowing this is the "legacy" he's going to be known for? Money only goes so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

I've been watching those "DSP Experiences Bugged _______ Mechanics" videos and I can't decide which one he is. Is he really bad at games? Is it all an act? Either way, how can this guy go to sleep every night knowing this is the "legacy" he's going to be known for? Money only goes so far.

I used to think he was doing it on purpose, but I'm convinced he's just poo poo at video games and can't take criticism well. He's the kind of guy that just assumes he is awesome and nothing bad is his fault.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

hoobajoo posted:

I used to think he was doing it on purpose, but I'm convinced he's just poo poo at video games and can't take criticism well. He's the kind of guy that just assumes he is awesome and nothing bad is his fault.

You're probably right. I can't stop watching them and just think "How is he this bad at games and still makes money?" :cripes:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Captain Invictus posted:

War Planets had one of the best cartoon intros of all time. It's just so loving BADASS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN-hErLXS5A

The show was shockingly good too considering the kinda lovely toyline it's based around. Really ambitious and looked really good for something airing in 1998, especially compared to Beast Wars which looked like hot steaming garbage 90% of the time.

Oh god, I remember this show. It had a giant planet with a claw that came out and grabbed smaller planets to eat, it was great.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I never saw War Planets on TV, but I had the game and one of the toys.

The game wasn't very good. The toy was pretty alright, as far as a plastic sphere full of army men goes. I think it was Planet Rock? That's what jogs my memory the most when GISing around.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Speaking of weird differences between Canadian and American shows as well as DBZ, Canada had a different opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEl9skiNc88

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Canadian DBZ opening seems so...lifeless compared to ROCK THE DRAGON

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It uses mostly the same clips as the Rock the Dragon opening too. Why didn't they just use that one? :psyduck:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Rhonne posted:

It uses mostly the same clips as the Rock the Dragon opening too. Why didn't they just use that one? :psyduck:

Maybe it was a licensing issue?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most countries do their language version of Rock the Dragon or Head Cha La. Canada's the only one that goes "Nah, gently caress it. We unique, dog!"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

Most countries do their language version of Rock the Dragon or Head Cha La. Canada's the only one that goes "Nah, gently caress it. We unique, dog!"

I was gonna say that. The gently caress is that song, it was Chala Head Chala for the first OP and We Gotta Power for the second one here.

Also, Rock the Dragon is the inferior song compared to those two.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reminds me of the House MD opening themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5i5ERDE_2E

The first (the best) is Massive Attack's song Teardrop but not the others! On Netflix, even in America, they use the second theme for the opening. Licensing is a weird mistress.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Reminds me of the House MD opening themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5i5ERDE_2E

The first (the best) is Massive Attack's song Teardrop but not the others! On Netflix, even in America, they use the second theme for the opening. Licensing is a weird mistress.

I can tell you that the second theme was also used for cable TV in Brazil. I'm guessing they didn't want to pay rights for Teardrop when it came to DVD sales/rebroadcasting (and for some weird reason Europe got a ripoff of the first ripoff). Which sucks because Teardrop is an amazing song.

(On other weird jogo tales, Digimon got the terrible American OP when it aired here instead of Butterfly. gently caress that song.)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

The Canadian DBZ opening seems so...lifeless compared to ROCK THE DRAGON

To this day I don't understand why the opening was just one of the movies chopped up and randomly spliced together. It couldn't of been like that in Japan could it? I know they have Cha La or whatever.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Charles Martel posted:

I always see people react this way when confronted by a genuinely dull person, which is who DSP is. He is just a standard-issue, no-frills dullard.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
My brother grew up in the 90s. He watched DBZ in French. This is the intro they got (brace your ears). I kinda pity him.
Although luckily I think the voices weren't as silly as the Best Friends' impressions of them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

To this day I don't understand why the opening was just one of the movies chopped up and randomly spliced together. It couldn't of been like that in Japan could it? I know they have Cha La or whatever.

I believe it was more or less entirely original footage (with some stuff depending on the current Saga, like Freeza or the Androids), with like, 5 seconds or so of actual episode clips in it.
Anyway I'm guessing this was deemed too comedic or cutesy for the action-oriented image they went for in the US.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tupperwarez posted:

I always see people react this way when confronted by a genuinely dull person, which is who DSP is. He is just a standard-issue, no-frills dullard.

Let's not forget his legendary 10 minute FF13 unboxing video where he forgets to unbox the game and uploads it anyway :frogbon:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

HGH posted:

I believe it was more or less entirely original footage (with some stuff depending on the current Saga, like Freeza or the Androids), with like, 5 seconds or so of actual episode clips in it.
Anyway I'm guessing this was deemed too comedic or cutesy for the action-oriented image they went for in the US.

Yeah, I think it wouldn't have really fit the tone of most of the show. Shame, because some of that opening, the shot of Shenron coming through the clouds especially, is great.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yeah, I think it wouldn't have really fit the tone of most of the show. Shame, because some of that opening, the shot of Shenron coming through the clouds especially, is great.

It really seems more in line with the original Dragon Ball. Makes the series look like more of the same but with Gohan, rather than what it was.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Okay, I love me some DBZ stuff and being a TimeCop and doing quests, so it sounds like Xenoverse is up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation, guys!

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Darksyde Phil is not the second coming of Andy Kaufman guys...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abYKKrCkF-c

DSP is someone that edits his videos in a way that cuts himself off mid-sentence. He also still uses a camcorder, even after a fan bought him a decent capture card.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

FauxGateau posted:

Darksyde Phil is not the second coming of Andy Kaufman guys...
...because he IS Andy Kaufman.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dias posted:

Also, Rock the Dragon is the inferior song compared to those two.

You take that back right now.

(Chala/ and WE gotta Power do kick rear end though)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 9, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i remember when i first started to try to "break into" lping i watched DSP's videos on how to do it and took his fair to middling advice very seriously

don't do that. also don't try to "break into lping," cause boy does that sound like less fun than it looks like on paper in hindsight.

but in sbfp topics, i've started watching some of the old lps again. i'm really surprised that it took me until the dark souls 2 playthrough to realize that pat and woolie are a really good pairing for videos. for some reason i never thought they had chemistry, but even as early as the indigo prophecy video they've been a really strong pairing. matt adds a lot to it to, but at a few points it really seems to be a pat/woolie playthrough with a lot of their flavor coming through.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Improbable Lobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abYKKrCkF-c

DSP is someone that edits his videos in a way that cuts himself off mid-sentence. He also still uses a camcorder, even after a fan bought him a decent capture card.

Trap possibly sprung but DSP's been using a capture card for about 2+ years now.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Trap possibly sprung but DSP's been using a capture card for about 2+ years now.

Why do you watch dsp?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Depths posted:

Why do you watch dsp?

Slow motion trainwreck that never ends or stops getting worse, really.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Depths posted:

Why do you watch dsp?

I don't. Ever once and awhile I do peek at his channel to see if it's still there though.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
its hella weird that pat thinks "begins to cry like a little bitch when you leave the room" is a selling point on dogs

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

beep by grandpa posted:

Let's not forget his legendary 10 minute FF13 unboxing video where he forgets to unbox the game and uploads it anyway :frogbon:

Yeah, that's how I heard of him. Slowbeef mentioned that in one of the Retsuprae podcasts and I thought "No way."

Sure enough I found it and thought, "This can't be real." which then led to the TIHYDP (This Is How You DON'T Play _______) videos. Dude is the tool of tools.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's weird to talk about DSP in the Best Friends thread but honestly I think the weirdest part is when he actually finishes a game. He will almost always go "oh man I really enjoyed that game it was really good" after spending like 12+ hours calling it loving bullshit or broken every other minute. It's so bizarre.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Napolea-tan, ganbare~!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
The Evil Within DLC came out. I really want them to do it, out of pure sadism.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The Evil Within DLC came out. I really want them to do it, out of pure sadism.

They can do it along side the next episode of Revelations so we can compare the two.

Speaking of which, I really like what I've seen of Revelations 2 so far, Barry being a goofy dad who tells lame jokes while also being a badass is great.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Really Barry is the most progressive Japanese protagonist.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
http://superbestfriendsplay.com/podcast/sbfc-083-beard-doesnt-move-much-youd-better-listen/
Podcast is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3hxkwGU9qo
I can't tell if the summary is a joke or a screw up. Maybe both!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In case they fix it later:

quote:

Matt and Woolie return from PAX East, Liam returns from Mexico, and Pat

I'm so sorry you had to go there, Liam. On the bright side, at least you had a nice trip to Mexico!

edit: Matt you should go full hobo beard. Be Max Payne 3 Max Payne.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 10, 2015

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

CJacobs posted:

edit: Matt you should go full hobo beard. Be Max Payne 3 Max Payne.

He doesn't even have to go all crazy and shave his head later, life is doing that for him.

I can sympathize. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Stamper stories are best stories.