Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yeah, at least without the new equipment, you can only afford one mistake against most enemies. So you need to be on your toes even in random encounters.

Having to farm isn't fun at all though, especially since I'm doing an alchemy-run and have to save most ingredients.

Is Alchemy focus actually viable? I always heard people saying it's even more OP than swordsmanship but I never saw a skill that would help you so incredibly much.
I don't think I ever even sold anything having alchemy components in it, just make sure you have enough money from chapter 2 to buy everything in chapter 3.

Haha. Is the 970 the card that dies once it uses over 3.5GB of VRAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

Haha. Is the 970 the card that dies once it uses over 3.5GB of VRAM?

Apparently but I've yet to experience any problems with it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GrossMurpel posted:

Is Alchemy focus actually viable? I always heard people saying it's even more OP than swordsmanship but I never saw a skill that would help you so incredibly much.

It's not about a particular stand-out skill, most of the alchemy skills together give you massive stat bonuses when you're on potions. I don't personally have a lot of fun just pumping up passives, though, even if it's the most effective route, so the tree wasn't much fun for me.

And while it's adrenaline skill is fairly uninteresting, it does the job and isn't lovely like swordsman's.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 7, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Pretty much. The sword tree can stand on its own, but you'll have an uphill fight...really no tree is meant to stand by itself. Pumping up your base stats and using select skills from the other trees for crowd control is the strength of the Alchemy tree--when combined with the right potions. Properly mastered, you won't be able to 1-hit the dragon but it won't be too far off.

It's definitely the most delayed payoff of the trees though, so it's hard to get going.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
so stoked for this game. Debating where to preorder from for the Xbone
Wife is actually stoked about the game from watching vids, might need to actually replay Witcher II

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c514jP4hbJI

I don't think we've posted this one, new to me at least. (I worked on this a tiny tiny bit)

EDIT: Also the first mention I've heard of our estimated playtime, "over 100 hours". That's not marketing bs either, the game is loving huge.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 7, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's a pretty dope video.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't think we've posted this one, new to me at least. (I worked on this a tiny tiny bit)

EDIT: Also the first mention I've heard of our estimated playtime, "over 100 hours". That's not marketing bs either, the game is loving huge.

"60 hours of playtime guys. That's good, right? For an rpg?"
"That's great, but marketing wants us at another 20 or higher."
"poo poo."
"-yeah."
"loving. poo poo. Okay, well, gently caress."
"Listen, we can put a few more quests down in each area, or maybe just add a couple more action trees to the current ones-"
"No-gently caress it, we don't have the money. Just...slow the walk speed down, raise the enemy alchemy collect quest amounts by 30% and then set a few more down in each zone."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 7, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The game is about finding Ciri? Wow, how original :rolleyes:
Seriously though I'm hyped.
E: Are the KB+M controls done yet? Don't like how everything they show is using a controller.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 7, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Too much, then :P.

I reached 100 hours in Skyrim, but it was being a loving masochist / bored in the last dozens. I think I prefer over 65 hours for a "epic rpg" , which is already pretty drat long.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah in games like Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition I'm like "wow there is so much to do this is cool" then 50 hours in I'm trying to get through the main story line as fast as possible so I never have to touch it again.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm still on the fence whether I should get this for PC or PS4, since my PC is quite old now and I won't be able to justify a decent upgrade in the near future.

How do the transfer of savestates work for the Witcher 3? Are we stuck with importing savegames from Witcher 2 or will it be a similar solution to the Dragon Age Keep, where you could create your own worldstates?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm still on the fence whether I should get this for PC or PS4, since my PC is quite old now and I won't be able to justify a decent upgrade in the near future.

How do the transfer of savestates work for the Witcher 3? Are we stuck with importing savegames from Witcher 2 or will it be a similar solution to the Dragon Age Keep, where you could create your own worldstates?

Unless it's changed it was still something like this:

quote:

On PC, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt can import a Witcher 2 save file to "impact your playthrough" of the third entry, but on consoles CD Projekt is taking a different approach. In a roundtable interview Level Designer Miles Tost told Joystiq that The Witcher 3 will look to simulate world states based on decisions taken in an in-game conversation.

http://www.joystiq.com/2015/01/27/the-witcher-3-on-consoles-can-simulate-world-states-cant-impor/

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
You can absolutely beat Dark mode without the special armors, and yes, alchemy is super overpowered after a while if you do it right.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

OatBoy posted:

You can absolutely beat Dark mode without the special armors, and yes, alchemy is super overpowered after a while if you do it right.

Pump all your points into alchemy, forget to use potions.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

GrossMurpel posted:

You can one hit kill some of the optional difficult bosses if you dump in this tree. Game was actually a lot easier that way than my first playthrough in which I distributed everything over all the trees.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I had the most fun when I put most of my points in the mage tree. The mage tree is fairly useless against bosses, but you don't have a lot of non-training points when you fight Letho anyway, and the post-Letho bosses are super easy.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

E: Are the KB+M controls done yet? Don't like how everything they show is using a controller.
I second this.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

You can one hit kill some of the optional difficult bosses if you dump in this tree. Game was actually a lot easier that way than my first playthrough in which I distributed everything over all the trees.

Well yeah I don't think a jack-of-all-trades is supposed to work.

Lycus posted:

and the post-Letho bosses are super easy.

Letho isn't? :confused:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Well yeah I don't think a jack-of-all-trades is supposed to work.

Depends. A mixture of mage and swordsmen works good because you can choose which signs you want to use and only get perks that are useful for those, and strengthening your bombs in alchemy goes with everything. But if you want to go with a potion spec, you should go all in on alchemy.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 8, 2015

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Section 31 posted:

I second this.

Yep.

One of my gripes with with W2 is that its control scheme and interface were clearly designed with a controller in mind.

Edit: have we seen the floating damage numbers above enemies' heads before? Can we turn those off?

beer_war fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 8, 2015

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

Letho isn't? :confused:

1. Optional boss.
2. Not that hard after you're familiar with him.
3. Doesn't deserve to die. :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Snow Job posted:

He embarrassed me at my job in front of my king.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

He embarrassed me at my job in front of my king.

Not like the king is likely to spread the word :v:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

beer_war posted:

Yep.

One of my gripes with with W2 is that its control scheme and interface were clearly designed with a controller in mind.

I dunno, I tried playing with a controller once and it didn't really make sense to me after playing with mouse and keyboard. Granted, I did fiddle with the keybindings a bit to avoid hand cramps but the game comes across as a whole designed for M/KB.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I mostly used the radial menu to select spells / items and meditate and found it much more intuitive than mouse / kb. Some of the minigames (arm-wrestling!) I could only beat with a controller. The inventory would have been better with a mouse, but the game hides your mouse pointer if you select a controller as your input device.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 8, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Snow Job posted:

1. Optional boss.
2. Not that hard after you're familiar with him.

I think he was referring to the first fight, that's why he mentioned bosses after Letho.

beer_war posted:

I mostly used the radial menu to select spells / items and meditate and found it much more intuitive than mouse / kb. Some of the minigames (arm-wrestling!) I could only beat with a controller. The inventory would have been better with a mouse, but the game hides your mouse pointer if you select a controller as your input device.

I also used the radial menu to select spells and stuff. Since when is there another menu for that? Also, I'm confused how you couldn't beat arm wrestling with a mouse. Like, you just have to move your mouse along with the thing.

Lareine posted:

I dunno, I tried playing with a controller once and it didn't really make sense to me after playing with mouse and keyboard. Granted, I did fiddle with the keybindings a bit to avoid hand cramps but the game comes across as a whole designed for M/KB.

W1's menu is designed for KB+M. W2 has a list that fits like 5 items on the screen at once.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

I also used the radial menu to select spells and stuff. Since when is there another menu for that?

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2_controls

quote:

Also, I'm confused how you couldn't beat arm wrestling with a mouse. Like, you just have to move your mouse along with the thing.

Yeah, I got the same reaction the last time I brought this up, too. Apparently it is trivially easy on some systems, while others have to fiddle with mouse DPI or some such nonsense.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Beating Letho on Dark was piss-easy once I decided to get more sign-happy. Aarding him into walls and then wailing on him with a mega-damage, oiled-up endgame sword felt so good after the faffing around and repeatedly dying during a past playthrough.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Anyone that killed Letho their first time through has no soul.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

The Sharmat posted:

I did it and then felt bad and reloaded and let him live.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

CitrusFrog posted:

Beating Letho on Dark was piss-easy once I decided to get more sign-happy. Aarding him into walls and then wailing on him with a mega-damage, oiled-up endgame sword felt so good after the faffing around and repeatedly dying during a past playthrough.

Yeah the fight is basically rollrollrollrollroll while he has his Quen activated and Aard+attack spam otherwise.

The Sharmat posted:

Can't wait for him to (hopefully) show up in W3.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

I did it. I don't actually have a soul.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

OatBoy posted:

I did it and then felt bad and reloaded and let him live.

You may have a soul but you're also a coward afraid to live with the consequences of their own decisions. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Lycus posted:

I did it. I don't actually have a soul.

Well at least you're up front about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
My entire thought process regarding Letho over the course of the game was basically, "gently caress this guy...well, okay, nah. He's pretty cool."

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The only difference between Letho and Geralt is that Letho doesn't bitch constantly when a powerful ruler takes him aside and says "You're working for me now, got it?".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

The only difference between Letho and Geralt is that Letho doesn't bitch constantly when a powerful ruler takes him aside and says "You're working for me now, got it?".

Geralt's multilayered. :mad:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

And he's got a fabulous head of hair.

Also, was I the only one that noticed in that PAX gameplay video that when the narrator talked about preparing to fight the Royal Wyvern, he applied the superior beast oil to the steel sword?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

CitrusFrog posted:

Also, was I the only one that noticed in that PAX gameplay video that when the narrator talked about preparing to fight the Royal Wyvern, he applied the superior beast oil to the steel sword?

Comte, tell him that he's a scrub.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lycus posted:

Comte, tell him that he's a scrub.

Seriously, it's like Witcher 101, silver for gribblies, steel for mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Sharmat posted:

Drifter posted:

Geralt's multilayered. :mad:

:lol:

Also I killed Letho with no regrets whatsoever.

• Locked thread