Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm guessing they cost this sort of card out of even the remotest of playability in case they miss some dumb combo. But at that point you're printing utterly pointless poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I love to look at weird cards and figure out what they could be good at but holy god thats a pile of garbage

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ramos posted:

This will go great in my... five color EDH deck?

That's all I got.

I guess that might be the only kind of game where the matches would go long enough to have it become viable. Even then you have to hope they don't have enchantment hate or else you just spent 7 mana to do what Tormod's Crypt does for free.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I love to look at weird cards and figure out what they could be good at but holy god thats a pile of garbage

I think it would be playable if it cost 5 mana and removed the color requirements from casting the cards. Drawing 3 or 4 probably-not-land cards from your opponent's deck would be pretty good in limited if it didn't cost infinity mana.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
This could work in a Mono-Black devotion build playing Nykthos. Gary is still a fairly potent card, and there are significant 1, 2, and 3 drops with B or BB in their casting costs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Emerson Cod posted:

This could work in a Mono-Black devotion build playing Nykthos. Gary is still a fairly potent card, and there are significant 1, 2, and 3 drops with B or BB in their casting costs.

There are so, so many better things to do at 7 mana.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Hedonist's Trove
5BB
Enchantment
When Hedonist's Trove enteres the battlefield, exile all cards in target's opponents graveyard.

You may play land cards exiled by Hedonist's Trove.

One per turn, you may cast a nonland card exiled by Hedonist's Trove.

--

I doubt this is a good card, but I like it.

E:though the fact that it doesn't help w/ mana colors, after requiring all that set up, sucks. Assuming that wasn't missed in translation.

Neat ability, but you're gonna be sad when you open this in draft and your opponent opens a Regent.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Entropic posted:

There are so, so many better things to do at 7 mana.

I bet the translation will be "cast without paying the mana cost" since you are limited to once per turn.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Devor posted:

I bet the translation will be "cast without paying the mana cost" since you are limited to once per turn.

But then why bother letting you play their lands?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Devor posted:

Then it would actually have a shot at being good.

Always bet against the lovely 7 mana enchantment.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cernunnos posted:

But then why bother letting you play their lands?

Because it's on flavor? You still can't play more than one land per turn.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Has anyone realized that Decent of the Dragons with Dragon Tempest out is basically an instant kill if you have 3 or 4 tokens to sac into becoming dragons?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Has anyone realized that Decent of the Dragons with Dragon Tempest out is basically an instant kill if you have 3 or 4 tokens to sac into becoming dragons?

It's been mentioned once or twice, yeah.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Devor posted:

Because it's on flavor? You still can't play more than one land per turn.

Also the only lands in their graveyard are going to be fetches.

Can't wait to pay 7 mana to play off-color fetches, guys.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Hedonist's trove is pretty bad but I have a deck it will slot nicely into for when I do multiplayer games so hooray I suppose.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Oh yeah, along with comboing with Battlefield Thaumaturge means you can do all sorts of Izzet-y nonsense. I've actually been looking at that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Please don't try that new counter in Merfolk. You can run Cancel which is always unconditional for three mana, or the new counter which is Cancel if you have a Mutavault in play. You already have Cursecatcher which is cheaper and doesn't require you to hold up mana.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

AlternateNu posted:

Here was a mock up from reddit

qbert posted:

Also the only lands in their graveyard are going to be fetches.

Can't wait to pay 7 mana to play off-color fetches, guys.

Urborg makes them swamps.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes, but if you have it in play and animated, you control a Dragon, and thus it's full Counterspell.

1UU for a full counterspell seems pretty freakin' powerful.

e: lollin' at the "draw perfect 9 cards in 11 cards for a T4 kill" reddit masterpiece.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

Urborg makes them swamps.

Dragon Tempest and tokens sounds like an interesting deck idea, and you could have Ascendancy and Shampulse to help you dig for it, but it's pretty drat Christmas land-y

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

One more point of damage if you use Monastery Swiftspear over Zurgo. :v:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

bhsman posted:

Hedonist's Trove seems like it would be awesome to drop in a blue-based Control mirror and just start looting their counters and Treasure Cruise spells (plus incidental lands from Tasigur activations?) while depriving them of Delve fuel.

The trade-off is the double blue requirement, I'm guessing.

I meant the red one is much better, since even in the fail case it's a decent card and in the succeed case it's a Legacy-playable burn spell (not saying that this is legacy playable, since it clearly isn't, but Searing Blaze is).

As for Descent of Dragons combo, that chart is stupid. You have a lot of flexibility for the combo, you just need three creatures for the kill, though four allows you to drop Tempest/Thaumaturge and Descent on the combo turn. I'm going to play the deck but I'm not under any illusions about how good it is. It'll steal free wins from people, though, and I like that you can sideboard it very aggressively-- I'm going to fill my board with burn spells and more efficient dudes.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

hedonists trove reminds me of a lovely yawgmoths agenda. Just reprint agenda, that card owned

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

hedonists trove reminds me of a lovely yawgmoths agenda. Just reprint agenda, that card owned

Agreed, but they should design a new version of Agenda using some of that card's templating, like replacing the "only one spell per turn period" with the "only one spell from the graveyard per turn" so it's less of a straitjacket. Agenda was niche playable but not anywhere close to broken; there's room for improving it without it being a problem, especially in this environment where everybody will be trying to shove creatures up your rear end while you're trying to set up with your graveyard durdle deck.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Hedonist's Trove
5BB
Enchantment
When Hedonist's Trove enteres the battlefield, exile all cards in target's opponents graveyard.

You may play land cards exiled by Hedonist's Trove.

One per turn, you may cast a nonland card exiled by Hedonist's Trove.

--

I doubt this is a good card, but I like it.

E:though the fact that it doesn't help w/ mana colors, after requiring all that set up, sucks. Assuming that wasn't missed in translation.

Oh man this is like getting to play my friend's EDH decks while I get to play my own EDH deck
thanks wizards, great addition!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

RME posted:

Oh man this is like getting to play my friend's EDH decks while I get to play my own EDH deck
thanks wizards, great addition!

Ok I liked this post

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

1UU for a full counterspell seems pretty freakin' powerful.

e: lollin' at the "draw perfect 9 cards in 11 cards for a T4 kill" reddit masterpiece.

Yeah. Powerful.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

End of Life Guy posted:

Pfft, Mono-R already has a T3 kill that's much easier to pull off.

T1: Swiftspear
T2: Swiftspear, Titan's Strength
T3: Titan's Strength, Titan's Strength.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

Here's another good way to get a T4 kill if your opponent is doing nothing: play like any red deck ever

Admittedly Thaumaturge + Descent is kindof interesting, I'm just not sure you want that do-nothing enchantment that's only good in a 3 card combo with it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

:thejoke: was made for this thread apparently

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want to see more of the draft commons, dammit. Show us the common Exploit creatures so I can decide if Mirror Mockery is a bomb rare or not. Slapping it on a Silumgar Butcher seems really really good, but ideal that deck has other good exploit creatures in it too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

:thejoke: was made for this thread apparently

We get so many legit bad opinions from bad players who like bad cards that it's impossible to tell.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We get so many legit bad opinions from bad players who like bad cards that it's impossible to tell.

I guess this would be a great place for satire designed to get people who love correcting others to look dumb then. If you were into that sort of thing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

I guess this would be a great place for satire designed to get people who love correcting others to look dumb then. If you were into that sort of thing.
This post will go great in my...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I agree that the guy championing the UU counter as being good when you activate mutavault had A Bad Opinion on Bad Cards and is therefore a Bad Player, but thinking the guy responding to that Bad Player has a bad opinion rather than a sarcastic correction to their bad strategy is probably also bad rather than being sarcastic makes you The Bad Opinion-haver.

In other bad opinion-having-ness, which of the two new blue commands does everyone agree is better than Cryptic? The one that does less in white, or the one that does less in black?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Morph is deceptively powerful, but this cycle seems pretty weak.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It can set off that infinite combo at least.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also, I don't get why today's green hate card is so much better than the rest

Hits all permanents (the rest only cover creatures) unconditionally and instantly, on top of protection

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
What? Am I missing something, or are you missing "noncreature" in that text?

Killing Narset or Sorin with it probably makes you feel pretty good but it doesn't seem that great to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's noncreature only. So it's two massively conditional clauses on top of each other, I don't think it will see much play ever.

• Locked thread