Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I didn't play it nearly as much as 99 or 2K4, but one thing I noticed about UT3 is that the Link Gun seemed to hurt a hell of a lot more, especially the primary fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, the 2k4 one was weak, so UT3 and UT4 are trying to make the primary fire more feasible in close range over the hitscan beam.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I didn't realize this until a moment ago, but the Liandri Archives says that the UT2k3 Link Gun alternate "linked" fire damage was multiplied by 1 + (0.5 x n), where "n" is the number of people linked to the shooter. So if you had another person linked to you, the alternate fire damage was 1.5x normal.

I realize it would require two people actually hitting the target instead of one...but if that's the actual multiplier, it seems like it would just be better (or at least more damaging) for everybody to stick to their own guns? Maybe that's why it always seemed like it was crap. You've got two people linked to you for 2x damage, but it'd just be better for all three people to be shooting 3 separate guns at a target.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I didn't realize this until a moment ago, but the Liandri Archives says that the UT2k3 Link Gun alternate "linked" fire damage was multiplied by 1 + (0.5 x n), where "n" is the number of people linked to the shooter. So if you had another person linked to you, the alternate fire damage was 1.5x normal.

I realize it would require two people actually hitting the target instead of one...but if that's the actual multiplier, it seems like it would just be better (or at least more damaging) for everybody to stick to their own guns? Maybe that's why it always seemed like it was crap. You've got two people linked to you for 2x damage, but it'd just be better for all three people to be shooting 3 separate guns at a target.

That's for 2k3 and only for the beam. The primary fire gets 1 + n * damage (and faster projectiles) and in 2k4 the beam gets 1 + (1.5 * n) for healing cores and tanks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

dis astranagant posted:

That's for 2k3 and only for the beam. The primary fire gets 1 + n * damage (and faster projectiles) and in 2k4 the beam gets 1 + (1.5 * n) for healing cores and tanks.

Yeah, I know, that's what I said. It still seems really weird that they went with an equation that made the gun technically worse than everybody doing their own thing, though--even if it's just for one fire mode.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I guess they figured that if you were going to have half your team buffing one dude you shouldn't have him trying to make point blank laser shots.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The only time I've seen people actually link their link guns is in the invasion modes, everything else moves too fast.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

The only time I've seen people actually link their link guns is in the invasion modes, everything else moves too fast.

The LInk Gun feels like one of those half-baked cool ideas that someone on the dev team dreamed up one day, but was somehow implanted instead of being scrapped.

quote:

I just tend to prefer the minigun for my waiting for a flak cannon needs :v:

I still use the Minigun after I get my hands on the awesome weapons, like the Flak Cannon. Even though it's not visually nearly as cool as the one from Unreal 1, I love the feel of it when it's firing with the large casings hitting the ground and the large muzzleflash. It's also good at close quarters and long range, though it's not the powerhouse that the Shock Rifle can be. Besides, it's always fun to make enemies do the chaingun cha-cha. :v:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I hope this plays at the pearly gates

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Regarding Doom/II WADs, what are some of the roughest ordinary WADs out there? I'm not really talking about things like "Sunder" or huge slaughtermaps. More stuff like Hell Revealed 1 and 2--WADs that really push you to make your shots count and to juggle the enemies that are thrown at you.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Regarding Doom/II WADs, what are some of the roughest ordinary WADs out there? I'm not really talking about things like "Sunder" or huge slaughtermaps. More stuff like Hell Revealed 1 and 2--WADs that really push you to make your shots count and to juggle the enemies that are thrown at you.
I'm not sure what you'd consider to be 'huge' or a slaughtermap, but here are some difficult maps that demand a certain degree of finesse and strategy without relying too heavily on grinding through thousands of monsters:

Ribbiks maps are immensely challenging, both Stardate 20x6 & Swim with the Whales. I'd also very highly recommend his ever-growing crumpets.wad if you like shorter maps based around carefully tuned encounters). You might also like Malcolm Sailor's classic Chord series - NG and G being the best in my opinion, skePland, Impure Offering, the last 10 maps of scythe 2, perhaps Plutonia 2 and so on. There's probably a lot of important wads i'm missing but what can you do.

I'd also highly recommend the recent, cacoward winning Resurgence if you haven't already played it. You might consider some of the levels to be 'huge slaughtermaps' by their size and density, but they're all very demanding and don't devolve into safe grinding with rockets or a bfg. I'm still hacking away at some of the later maps trying to uv-max them all.

Try out memfis' fantastic new reality maps if you want something that really demands precision. You have three maps to complete, a very limited amount of weaponry at your disposal and 1hp. This is definitely a style of mapping i'd love to see more of.

oh and if you really want to push yourself, try to beat some Death-Destiny maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptCMtIx3iao

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Back to Saturn X, particularly chapter 2.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I wouldn't say BTSX is particularly difficult. Perhaps if you play -solo-net. That's a pretty neat way to bump up the difficulty from UV on quite a few wads.. Basically it's just playing with the extra co-op enemy/ammo spawns on your lonesome. The only downside is it's slightly annoying to set up.

koren fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 8, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Going Down's pretty loving hard, and many maps require very careful ammo/weapon preservation unless you want to chainsaw a spider mastermind.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you want wads with good gameplay outside of poor ammo balance (on the low side), there's a lot of wads on the idgames archive that are rated 2 or 3 stars for being that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Korendian Leader posted:

I'm not sure what you'd consider to be 'huge' or a slaughtermap, but here are some difficult maps that demand a certain degree of finesse and strategy without relying too heavily on grinding through thousands of monsters:

Ribbiks maps are immensely challenging, both Stardate 20x6 & Swim with the Whales. I'd also very highly recommend his ever-growing crumpets.wad if you like shorter maps based around carefully tuned encounters). You might also like Malcolm Sailor's classic Chord series - NG and G being the best in my opinion, skePland, Impure Offering, the last 10 maps of scythe 2, perhaps Plutonia 2 and so on. There's probably a lot of important wads i'm missing but what can you do.

I'd also highly recommend the recent, cacoward winning Resurgence if you haven't already played it. You might consider some of the levels to be 'huge slaughtermaps' by their size and density, but they're all very demanding and don't devolve into safe grinding with rockets or a bfg. I'm still hacking away at some of the later maps trying to uv-max them all.

Try out memfis' fantastic new reality maps if you want something that really demands precision. You have three maps to complete, a very limited amount of weaponry at your disposal and 1hp. This is definitely a style of mapping i'd love to see more of.

oh and if you really want to push yourself, try to beat some Death-Destiny maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptCMtIx3iao

Nice, these are good recommendations, and with the exception of Resurgence (which I've started playing recently), I haven't played through any of them.

I'd agree on the last set of maps (memfis' new reality maps). The concept of maps that are very, very finely tweaked--almost to the point of a puzzle--sound very interesting and are a nice change of pace from other WADs.

Elliotw2 posted:

Going Down's pretty loving hard, and many maps require very careful ammo/weapon preservation unless you want to chainsaw a spider mastermind.

Yeah there were more than a couple of "Going Down" maps that I had to really work my way through in order to clear them. A lot of the levels are inherently tight/claustrophobic, and one of the earlier maps throws a gaggle of HKs, Revenants, Mancubus, and a Spider Mastermind at you and it's a lot of dancing around to get through the area without resorting to chainsaws and fisticuffs. Then you've got that Hellish "bridge" map later on that pins you down between swarms of enemies to your front and rear, and the worst thing you can do is hesitate long enough to get trapped between them.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Andrew Hulshult made another Doom remix, this time of E1M5's "Suspense" track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yctbs7A4KHk

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Valiant gets really hard in UV starting from episode 2.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It's really not that difficult at all compared to a lot of wads out there.

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!
Some dudes updated Science and Industry (Half-Life mod)

They are testing the 1.2 beta right now in 104.236.63.41:27015

You can get the mod here: http://scienceandindustrygame.com/update.html

Just in case anyone is interested.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Since there's almost certainly not a Doom 3 thread and it's the successor to Doom, which is an early FPS, I've been having crashes with the AbsoluteHD mod when I change the HUD type from Doom 3 to Alpha (in Alpha mode the HUD does not display at all and the game crashes when I approach an NPC or open the PDA). Does anyone know why or if there's a fix?

E: Oh I see, the creator of AbsoluteHD is a hack who doesn't understand how important it is to check to make sure that the mods you're mashing together don't conflict. Removing the file /guis/hud.gui from z_ahd_pak05.pk4 seems to fix things for Sikkmod features like the Alpha HUD, at the cost of removing the dynamic crosshair.

Maybe, being an even bigger hack, I can copy the crosshair code from z_ahd_pak05.pk4's hud.gui to the hud.gui in ahd_pak01.pk4. The worst it could do is break my game. :downs:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 9, 2015

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Speaking of Doom3, the game itself was lackluster, but it had some fun mods made for it. Classic Doom mod and some of the Last Man Standing and Survival type of mods were pretty cool too.

I went back to SiN the other day starting from the first game. Some elements haven't aged well, but the rest is still really fun and challenging. Blade's a cool dude and I do miss him every now and then, so I just pop those games back in.

SiN and Blood are really awesome games that we won't be getting sequels to anymore and that is rather sad :(

Ritual Ent. didn't have anyone but themselves to blame for that though.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Sikkmod stuff included in Absolute HD makes Doom 3 a lot better both graphically and gameplay-wise--weapons are more powerful and satisfying, and enemies are faster, smarter, and deadlier. I deliberately set up Sikkmod to be a bit grainy and murky to resemble a late 1970s/early 1980s movie.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I made my own Doom3 mod. The only change was that the shotgun had much tighter spread and didn't sound like a flour shaker. But the game just throws the same poo poo at you over and over again... so it's still a boring chore.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Does anyone know how to adjust Sikkmod's settings for performance? The menu options are ridiculously obtuse, seem to assume that you're an experienced graphics programmer who can distinguish between 16 different implementations of SSAO, and tweaking them seems to have little effect on framerates. In fact it seems to run only slightly faster than it did last year, but last year I had a GTX 460 and now I have a 970.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 9, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

Speaking of Doom3, the game itself was lackluster, but it had some fun mods made for it. Classic Doom mod and some of the Last Man Standing and Survival type of mods were pretty cool too.

I went back to SiN the other day starting from the first game. Some elements haven't aged well, but the rest is still really fun and challenging. Blade's a cool dude and I do miss him every now and then, so I just pop those games back in.

SiN and Blood are really awesome games that we won't be getting sequels to anymore and that is rather sad :(

Ritual Ent. didn't have anyone but themselves to blame for that though.

I felt that Sin has bad combat early in the game, the sniper enemies are annoying, the final area and boss is really disappointing (I don't even face off Elexis herself? gently caress off.) and level design drifts too much into bad late 90s cliches at times, like the city at the start, the stealth mission, and the gimmicky levels where you were a monster.

The end of the forced stealth section to the part where Sinclaire captures you are really the highlight of Sin. There are so many alternate routes and interactive objects that it truly feels like Duke 3D's successor. It's really underrated.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 9, 2015

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Bradster posted:

:allears: yesss, so many summer afternoons in my youth was spent playing this. Hopefully it kicks up a bit of a community again.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

closeted republican posted:

I don't even face off Elexis herself? gently caress off.

It can't be any worse than Blood 2 and it's "chase the awkward-looking bad guy the entire game, only to face a weak monster version of him and SURPRISE here's an unexplained Lovecraftian beast, roll credits" ending.

God, Blood 2 was so loving bad. I wonder what, if anything, could be done to save it. The first few levels were so cool, too, until you got stuck somewhere and were forced to listend to 'come out! We won't hurt you!' about a million times.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

closeted republican posted:

I felt that Sin has bad combat early in the game, the sniper enemies are annoying, the final area and boss is really disappointing (I don't even face off Elexis herself? gently caress off.) and level design drifts too much into bad late 90s cliches at times, like the city at the start, the stealth mission, and the gimmicky levels where you were a monster.

The end of the forced stealth section to the part where Sinclaire captures you are really the highlight of Sin. There are so many alternate routes and interactive objects that it truly feels like Duke 3D's successor. It's really underrated.

I'd consider SiN to be the real successor of Duke3D too. The sections which really stood out were the middle parts of the game and the variety of things you could do and paths you could take. Hell, the game even had secret levels out could miss entirely unless you either managed to get specific objectives met or take a secret path. Not a whole lot of games have their own interactive UIs either. They did try to create something similar in Emergance, but it ended being mostly lovely dial-a-jokes that were probably meant to be an early concept of what they had planned for later episodes.

Then again, not a lot of people have actually played these games and most secrets were really out of the way and hard to get. The energy bar secret where you had to find four quarters throughout the game for one vending machine you could only access in later part of the game is still my favorite.

Wild T posted:

It can't be any worse than Blood 2 and it's "chase the awkward-looking bad guy the entire game, only to face a weak monster version of him and SURPRISE here's an unexplained Lovecraftian beast, roll credits" ending.

God, Blood 2 was so loving bad. I wonder what, if anything, could be done to save it. The first few levels were so cool, too, until you got stuck somewhere and were forced to listend to 'come out! We won't hurt you!' about a million times.

YOU WILL DIE A SLOW SLOW DEATH.
Come out, we won't hurt you :)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

One of the original male Chosen being resurrected as a woman, throwing "yo mamma" jokes was also really classy. What the hell was happening, Monolith?
In of the levels I've found a secret room, with Skaarj on it, for some odd reason.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

One of the original male Chosen being resurrected as a woman, throwing "yo mamma" jokes was also really classy. What the hell was happening, Monolith?
In of the levels I've found a secret room, with Skaarj on it, for some odd reason.
There was also a special bit in the credits nerd-raging about Geoff Keighley that GT Interactive made them patch out. I guess some things never change?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Small follow-up: alright, :hellyeah: is actually pretty drat effective in UT99. Just wasn't having much luck with it in UT4; guess I'll have to try again.

Also amused that the auto-difficulty-balancing for UT99's bots decided almost instantly that I needed to face Godlike bots. (Predictably, I did not fare so well against them.)

...also, I totally forgot that Rippers were a thing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A Skaarj and alien head iirc. In these days, throwing poo poo to your competitors was really common.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Bradster posted:

I loved this mod, used to play with goons and suck bad but it was fun.

Best thing was killing the opposing team's scientists.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Small follow-up: alright, :hellyeah: is actually pretty drat effective in UT99. Just wasn't having much luck with it in UT4; guess I'll have to try again.

Also amused that the auto-difficulty-balancing for UT99's bots decided almost instantly that I needed to face Godlike bots. (Predictably, I did not fare so well against them.)

...also, I totally forgot that Rippers were a thing.

That's great to hear. :hellyeah: takes a while to get used to, but it's really powerful and useful when you get the feeling of it.

Heh. I just pick a difficulty manually instead of relying on the auto-balance. I like my bots consistent throughout a match instead of having them sudenly become Godlike and blow me away with pinpoint precision.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 10, 2015

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Segmentation Fault posted:

Andrew Hulshult made another Doom remix, this time of E1M5's "Suspense" track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yctbs7A4KHk

Awesome, this guy always has a great take on things to me.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Zeether posted:

I loved this mod, used to play with goons and suck bad but it was fun.

Best thing was killing the opposing team's scientists.

We need a HL1 mod collection for the OP/adjourning posts. I'll make one for you, Kins!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

uncleKitchener posted:

I'd consider SiN to be the real successor of Duke3D too. The sections which really stood out were the middle parts of the game and the variety of things you could do and paths you could take. Hell, the game even had secret levels out could miss entirely unless you either managed to get specific objectives met or take a secret path. Not a whole lot of games have their own interactive UIs either. They did try to create something similar in Emergance, but it ended being mostly lovely dial-a-jokes that were probably meant to be an early concept of what they had planned for later episodes.

Then again, not a lot of people have actually played these games and most secrets were really out of the way and hard to get. The energy bar secret where you had to find four quarters throughout the game for one vending machine you could only access in later part of the game is still my favorite.

I really liked SiN, and I thought Emergence was pretty good. I think the problem with Emergence was that it was trying to mimic Half-Life 2 too much.

Is there no chance that we'll see a sequel or followup? I know that Ritual was acquired by MumboJumbo, but I remember reading some rumor that Interceptor wanted to work on a new SiN game.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
For the guy who kept asking for it (and anyone else interested, I guess), I finally remembered to upload my year-old Duke Nukem 3D stream on YouTube:
Episode 1 - L.A. Meltdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPm6Suqwos
Episode 2 - Lunar Apocalypse, Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYz5vMmP3XY
Episode 2 - Lunar Apocalypse, Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-KUh0_MH98
Episode 3 - Shrapnel City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwdfk33522k
Episode 4 - The Birth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIWPGZCWDyI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I really liked SiN, and I thought Emergence was pretty good. I think the problem with Emergence was that it was trying to mimic Half-Life 2 too much.

Is there no chance that we'll see a sequel or followup? I know that Ritual was acquired by MumboJumbo, but I remember reading some rumor that Interceptor wanted to work on a new SiN game.

I felt that Emergence tried to ape HL2 too much as well. The worst part was no one-liners from Blade because they wanted to make him like Gordon Freeman for some reason. I picked up mods that inserted some of Blade's lines from the original game into conversations and added Blade's old one-liners back that made Emergence so much better.

Interceptor was interested in making an HD version of Sin, but htat was canceled. The GoG release of Sin is meant to gauge future interest in the series and had some of the old Ritual guys supporting it.