Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If they wanted a D&D edition to unite the editions, they hosed up not letting Kevin Crawford write the drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

If they wanted a D&D edition to unite the editions, they hosed up not letting Kevin Crawford write the drat thing.

Honestly, he does great work, and even though he writes stuff that's ostensibly OSR, he's managed to maintain simplicity while introducing some things from newer games too. I can't say enough good things about him. If not for him I probably wouldn't even know OSR was a thing, since I heard about Stars Without Number and went to look into it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It looks like the guy who wrote Dark Dungeons is working on a retroclone of the old Marvel Superheroes game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Evil Mastermind posted:

It looks like the guy who wrote Dark Dungeons is working on a retroclone of the old Marvel Superheroes game.

That would make this the third Superhero game he's made if I remember properly, and would bring the total of Superhero systems in the OSR movement to somewhere between 5 and 7 if I'm remembering right

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is awesome.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I grabbed Into the Odd off DriveThru.

It's...interesting. It's not as deadly as most OSR-style games, but I think it suffers from trying to be too compact and concise. Like, it wouldn't hurt to go a bit more into things like running an organization.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I grabbed Into the Odd off DriveThru.

It's...interesting. It's not as deadly as most OSR-style games, but I think it suffers from trying to be too compact and concise. Like, it wouldn't hurt to go a bit more into things like running an organization.

Yeah, there comes a point where if a rule is vague enough it might as well not be there - I can get the urge to not want to do things like the old Stronghold rules where they tell you the GP cost per square foot of curtain wall and the taxes you take in from your subjects and blah blah blah, but just saying "You can have a company" isn't really helpful.

I do really love the fact that all the "magic" in the setting comes from artifacts and items though. Just going full 1=1 with the idea of magic as a technological equivalent is a great way to do a game where your role isn't locked in place because of class, but because you called dibs on the nice wand first.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Like, it wouldn't hurt to go a bit more into things like running an organization.

I vaguely remember he had a blog entry about how companies produce income.
The rule was your company makes 2*X a month (where X is somehow determined by the company size)
But, uh oh, this month your company is having problems with [roll on table of things that could go wrong with a small business] and you'll lose 1d4*X money unless you solve it!

So basically your company makes a certain amount of money every month as long as you go on adventures designed to prevent it from hemorrhaging money.

Ah, here it is: http://soogagames.blogspot.com/2015/01/to-crush-your-rivals-see-them.html

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I haven't seen the DriveThru version of the PDF since I got the pre-order one. Thus I don't know if there's additional information in there. But I do know he has been working on new material. His plan is that he doesn't want to introduce a lot of rules bloat, so I think he is basically working out ways to iterate on stuff he's already got in the system already.

What impresses me about the system is how much it seems to cover for something as minimal as it is, and also that he has fictional principles (an agenda) to guide play while leaving things open. I mean, it's almost like his own take on OD&D, tweaked to fit the constraints of what he's trying to do, so I expect it is going to leave some enormous gaps.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I went to DTRPG to get Into the Odd, but ended up buying the author's Adventure Fantasy Game instead. It's an OSR-compatible game that only ever uses rolls of d6 for resolution. I'm still going through it, but it's very interesting and play sounds very quick.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so with a Retroclone of the old TSR Marvel RPG, that brings up the total of OSR Superhero themed games to approximately 5;

Hideouts & Hoodlums: as far as I'm aware the first OSR Superhero game, based on Swords & Wizardry(probably White Box, but I'm not completely sure), and designed for campaigns set in the Golden Age of Superheroes, has a surprisingly high amount of supplementary material(several full supplements, and a dedicated magazine that has a fair amount of issues), all of which is available for dirt cheap, also probably one of the only Superhero systems to ever be class based and have it actually work(and is one of my favorite OSR games)

Mystery Men!: another game that uses Swords & Wizardry as a rules base, created by Blood & Treasure's author, currently appears to be unavailable due to a licensing deal

Codename: Spandex: first Superhero game to come from Dark Dungeons' author, is meant to emulate Superheroes of a power level similar to that of most Bronze Age X-Men(minus Phoenix and a couple other higher tier examples)

MASKS: second Superhero game to come from Dark Dungeons' author, this one is a more generalist system than his first one is

FASERIP: third Superhero game to come from Dark Dungeons' author, this one seems to be overall a relatively straightforward clone of the TSR Marvel RPG in most respects, although the author is apparently going to be making some changes

also bought Pars Fortuna today(also by Blood & Treasure's author) and it looks pretty interesting(also bought both Adventure Fantasy Game, and Into The Odd but I haven't looked at those yet)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 6, 2015

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I've been playing around with Magic Jar for a while in 2e, and man, is that a fun spell!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Moriatti posted:

So I've been playing around with Magic Jar for a while in 2e, and man, is that a fun spell!

From back when spells were sorted in a way that makes them possible to find in the books.

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
I'm working on doing a Scarlet Heroes solo sandbox/hexcrawl, using elements of Red Tide and An Echo, Resounding, along with other misc. crap from my collection. This is the first time I'm doing this type of game, and while I've run games before, it's almost always been pre-written material.

So I've been stumbling about, making maps and then discarding them, toying with setting elements and adventure ideas, and was wondering if there would be an audience for a blog detailing that. There are already a billion-and-one blogs out there with some dude's sandbox and 9000 similar-but-different procedures, but would people be interested in seeing the false starts, discarded material and general blundering about of the creation of, and then playing in, a campaign world?

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Absolutely. Material that isn't suitable for one game might be perfect for another, and it could illustrate lots of pitfalls and help people avoid them.

The solo aspect would also really set it apart.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'm going to be running a DCC grinder for my brother and his friends; anyone have some recommendations for a good module?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

drrockso20 posted:

so with a Retroclone of the old TSR Marvel RPG, that brings up the total of OSR Superhero themed games to approximately 5;

Hideouts & Hoodlums: as far as I'm aware the first OSR Superhero game, based on Swords & Wizardry(probably White Box, but I'm not completely sure), and designed for campaigns set in the Golden Age of Superheroes, has a surprisingly high amount of supplementary material(several full supplements, and a dedicated magazine that has a fair amount of issues), all of which is available for dirt cheap, also probably one of the only Superhero systems to ever be class based and have it actually work(and is one of my favorite OSR games)

Mystery Men!: another game that uses Swords & Wizardry as a rules base, created by Blood & Treasure's author, currently appears to be unavailable due to a licensing deal

Codename: Spandex: first Superhero game to come from Dark Dungeons' author, is meant to emulate Superheroes of a power level similar to that of most Bronze Age X-Men(minus Phoenix and a couple other higher tier examples)

MASKS: second Superhero game to come from Dark Dungeons' author, this one is a more generalist system than his first one is

FASERIP: third Superhero game to come from Dark Dungeons' author, this one seems to be overall a relatively straightforward clone of the TSR Marvel RPG in most respects, although the author is apparently going to be making some changes

also bought Pars Fortuna today(also by Blood & Treasure's author) and it looks pretty interesting(also bought both Adventure Fantasy Game, and Into The Odd but I haven't looked at those yet)

You're missing 4C/Four Color System, a Marvel Superheroes RPG/FASERIP clone.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Silhouette posted:

You're missing 4C/Four Color System, a Marvel Superheroes RPG/FASERIP clone.

Admittedly it's been ages since I last saw anyone bring up 4C, and it's not on that site that lists most OSR games so I forgot about that(also now that I think about it, isn't BASH also based on Marvel TSR as well?)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I posted this in the Elf Simulation thread, but I'll add it here as well because TAAC got a good reception, and the new game is basically TAAC2:

Okay, my new game has got to the point where the spell lists are finished, so some goon feedback would be welcomed! There are three caster classes - Cleric (mostly buffs), Wizard (mostly blasty stuff) and Elf (mostly controllers). Each class has 20 spells total. Are any of them under/overpowered, pointless, or duplicating another?

Link to PDF here.

Quick summary and explanation of terms: the game (designed for one-shot adventures) is a development of TAAC, which itself was a roll-under hack of B/X. There are only three character 'tiers' (replacing levels); Explorer is equivalent to L2, Adventurer to L6, and Hero to L10. Most spells can be cast at all three tiers with increasing effectiveness. WIL is Willpower, replacing CHA. PER is Perception, replacing WIS. A Check means a PC has to roll equal to or less than the relevant stat to succeed; a Save is the stat -4. Combat is much the same as TAAC - either you're in Melee, or you're not, in which case you're in Support. An Interception allows a PC in Melee to try to block an attack on a character in Support. A Blitz Attack is a guaranteed-hit Melee attack, with the risk of taking damage in return.

I think everything else is explained in the PDF. Any thoughts?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm going to be running a DCC grinder for my brother and his friends; anyone have some recommendations for a good module?

Sailors Under A Starless Sea is the defacto standard DCC funnel. Highly recommended.
I also like the Arwich Grinder, personally.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

I vaguely remember he had a blog entry about how companies produce income.
The rule was your company makes 2*X a month (where X is somehow determined by the company size)
But, uh oh, this month your company is having problems with [roll on table of things that could go wrong with a small business] and you'll lose 1d4*X money unless you solve it!

So basically your company makes a certain amount of money every month as long as you go on adventures designed to prevent it from hemorrhaging money.

Ah, here it is: http://soogagames.blogspot.com/2015/01/to-crush-your-rivals-see-them.html

That's kinda my point though; that's stuff that should be in the book, not on a blog post. I don't think adding one or two more pages would have been asking much.

e: Oh, it's going to be added later. Nevermind!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Payndz posted:

I think everything else is explained in the PDF. Any thoughts?

General:
Don't forget to list the definition of a 'turn' since it differs between older and newer versions of D&D.

I really like the separation of types of abilities.

Cleric:
Heal, Thank you for calling it heal. I have no idea why it was ever called cure. I also get angry at final fantasy about this.

Heroic Inspiration, I really like this spell idea.

Holy Protector, I'm a little concerned that this could usurp the Fighter's role depending on the fighter concept for this game

Speak with Dead, The 24 hour restriction seems super harsh. What's the intent?

Wizard:

Evard's Black Tentacles, This seems really good at explorer because INT will, of course, be high enough to snare everyone.

Death Cloud, I'm not really sure how this projection works? It comes out of the wizard's finger but it's AOE. Then it rolls downhill but only for a maximum of 3 turns? SOmething about that wording needlessly confuses me.

Fly, :argh:

Polymorph, This ability always makes me wary.

Sleep, This is basically the only spell that mentions area as far as I recall. Obviously doesn't scale above explorer. (Of course I already wrote a diatribe about how I hate this spell so I probably shouldn't be complaining about it not scaling.)

Swole's Mighty Blow, Still a great name

Elf:
Charm, I'd probably add that you can only charm one target at a time, or that the spell slot doesn't recharge if you leave someone charmed or something

Eagle Eye, This seems alright as long as there aren't any spell casting checks (or attacks?) tied to it.

Hold, This could probably scale up giving the target a save after each turn?

Ice Storm, I don't know if this belongs on the Elf list?

Sunfire, Range is a bit unclear due to wording. The elf is surrounded by light that scorches some AOE that he chooses? This might just be a problem with the possible range/area definitions

Transform, Uh, oh, here's 'sort of' polymorph again. Although I imagine the worst you could get up to with this is being a bear.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
AOE in combat means it affects all enemies in Melee, which is everyone who hasn't been specifically excepted (my go-to example is an evil wizard overseeing the battle from a balcony). So in a fight, an AOE spell affects every opponent, and sometimes PCs too if they're unlucky (Fireball, Ice Storm). The area effects and things like Cloudkill's movements are mainly for if they're used out of combat - such as smoking bad guys out of a hole.

At Explorer, the maximum any stat can be is 17, and I might even knock it down to 16, so spells that key off stats have room to improve.

Thanks for the comments - I'll take them into account. (Limiting Charm is good for a start.)

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007

Payndz posted:

AOE in combat means it affects all enemies in Melee, which is everyone who hasn't been specifically excepted (my go-to example is an evil wizard overseeing the battle from a balcony). So in a fight, an AOE spell affects every opponent, and sometimes PCs too if they're unlucky (Fireball, Ice Storm). The area effects and things like Cloudkill's movements are mainly for if they're used out of combat - such as smoking bad guys out of a hole.

At Explorer, the maximum any stat can be is 17, and I might even knock it down to 16, so spells that key off stats have room to improve.

Thanks for the comments - I'll take them into account. (Limiting Charm is good for a start.)

I'm a little unclear how you decide which characters get excepted from an AOE spell. The way I'm reading it right now, it looks like the party wizard can just say, "I cast Fireball into the melee, hitting everyone but my allies." In which case, it might be more straightforward to say AOE: Allies or AOE: Enemies.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
My copy of Into the Odd arrived! (Monday, actually, but it's been busy lately.) So happy. I got like... so much stuff in the mail over the past few days, including that. It is quite something different to hold a book in your hands than it is to look at it on a screen. I guess I am a book grognard.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

wallawallawingwang posted:

I'm a little unclear how you decide which characters get excepted from an AOE spell. The way I'm reading it right now, it looks like the party wizard can just say, "I cast Fireball into the melee, hitting everyone but my allies." In which case, it might be more straightforward to say AOE: Allies or AOE: Enemies.
I think it's in the Fireball description (phone posting, so can't check) that the caster needs to make a DEX check to time it right, otherwise everyone gets hit, enemies and allies. Most other damaging spells only affect enemies.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
OK, yeah, its in the spell description. I was looking in the general rules for spell casting. So maybe a quick line saying how this works is by spell and included in the spell's write up.

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

How much did I drink last night?
Whitehack 2nd Edition is out, both in a normal version of 64 pages (which is double what was in first ed) and a notebook version which is a notepad with all the rules + a couple of hundred empty pages for notes, your own hacks and poo poo.
No PDF though (nor will there ever be as far as I know) but definitely worth getting anyway.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just did my first playtest for my new TAAC-derived game, and yup, Black Tentacles is waaaaaay overpowered at Explorer tier. Remember how Sleep was the "I win" spell in B/X? Black Tentacles is the same here, the Wizard killing six out of eight orcs in the very first round of combat. I suspect that all the damaging AOE spells will be the same, so looks like I'll be toning their effect way down.

EDIT: second attempt, with tweaked rules, and Tentacles was just a game-changer rather than game-winner... but the Wizard still got killed when an orc attacked him and the Cleric failed his attempt to Intercept, dragging him into melee - for another orc to gank him immediately afterwards. (I hadn't considered how turn order would affect things like that, but I might keep it because it's suitably immediate and deadly, and the game's designed for high lethality anyway.) However, the Fighter killed four orcs with a single attack thanks to Blitz Attack and Cleave, so that works as intended. :toot:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 14, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just popping in to say Ed Greenwood is currently answering questions on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/2zl2l0/we_are_ed_greenwood_and_robert_b_marks_ask_us/

Mostly about the 'Eternity Quartet' series, but I figured someone here might want to ask something else.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Tunicate posted:

I figured someone here might want to ask something else.

Thats mean.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Remember this from a few weeks ago?

Evil Mastermind posted:

The proofread/playtest version is up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone know where I can find a decent amount of decent or good AD&D pregens? I have to run a tournament in the system on Saturday.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Covok posted:

Anyone know where I can find a decent amount of decent or good AD&D pregens? I have to run a tournament in the system on Saturday.

Is this still for the Tomb of Horrors?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Is this still for the Tomb of Horrors?

Yeah, they didn't go for the idea of changing the adventure.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Covok posted:

There was an actual product that had hundreds of pre rolled stat lines for NPCs which wasn't all that useful really. One of the best I've seen is the Old School Encounter Reference, something like that. It's hundreds of pages of great random tables and has numerous npc stats based on class and level if I remember correctly.

What level 1st edition PCs are you looking for?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Covok posted:

Yeah, they didn't go for the idea of changing the adventure.

What a shame.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It was very quickly dismissed because of name power. Like, the first response was "but Tomb of Horrors." So, yeah, not happening.

A Strange Aeon posted:

There was an actual product that had hundreds of pre rolled stat lines for NPCs which wasn't all that useful really. One of the best I've seen is the Old School Encounter Reference, something like that. It's hundreds of pages of great random tables and has numerous npc stats based on class and level if I remember correctly.

What level 1st edition PCs are you looking for?
Tomb of Horrors just says "high level characters." What's a good level for it?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There are 20 pregenerated characters at the back of the module suitable for dying horribly. Good luck and your gamer club is full of morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There are 20 pregenerated characters at the back of the module suitable for dying horribly. Good luck and your gamer club is full of morons.

Oh, I have the module. I just saw the bookmark "character roster." It's easy to miss because it's just a chart. I guess that's how they saved money on these thing back in the day.

And, in regards to the latter comment, they are smart enough when it comes to non-gaming or business things. Like, they are fine computer scientists and electrical engineers, but, when it comes to gaming, they don't really know much. They're the type who only really superficially plays RPGs. That's fine, but it can be annoying when stuff like this happens.

• Locked thread