Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Graic you were just burned and owned by Anidav. Give up. You've lost. There is no coming back from that. Ever. This is your 4 foot tall Lebanese woman moment, you now have that one moment forever.

You are the guy so pathetic that Anidav managed to out-smacktalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

quote:

Moss inquiry: Leaked testimonies cast doubt on claims Save the Children staff encouraged asylum seekers on Nauru to self-harm
LATELINE BY STEVE CANNANE, LISA MAIN, AND ALEX MCDONALD
UPDATED TUE MAR 10 00:39:35 EST 2015
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-09/testimonies-cast-doubt-on-removal-of-save-the-children-staff/6292070

he ABC has obtained leaked testimonies from the Moss inquiry that cast doubt on the evidence used to remove nine Save the Children staff from their jobs working with asylum seekers on Nauru.

In October last year, then Minister for Immigration Scott Morrison, announced an inquiry to be chaired by former integrity commissioner Philip Moss.

The inquiry was to look into, among other things, claims of sexual and physical abuse at the Regional Processing Centre on Nauru and allegations that Save the Children staff employed at the centre encouraged asylum seekers to self-harm.

While announcing the inquiry, Mr Morrison said: "If people want to be political activists that's their choice but they don't get to do it on the tax payers' dollar and working in a sensitive place like Nauru."

The allegations relating to Save the Children staff came from an intelligence report compiled from information gathered by Lee Mitchell, a senior intelligence analyst employed by Wilson Security on Nauru.

The Moss report is yet to be released by the Government, but in his testimony to the inquiry obtained by the ABC, Mr Mitchell admitted that the information he compiled on Save the Children would not stack up in court.

"We're not looking to provide evidence. We're just looking at information of where there's likely to be an issue," he said.

[u]When pressed by Mr Moss over allegations that Save the Children staff encouraged asylum seekers to self harm, Mr Mitchell provided no specific evidence, instead citing a previous report from former operations manager at Nauru, Greg Lake.[/]

"I'm feeding back to Lake's comments in July," Mr Mitchell said.

"He says he knows this goes on. Coaching absolutely does go on."

Mr Moss said more clarification was needed.

"To my mind there's a world of difference between a general state of implying self-harm can be coached, and self-harm is being coached in the context of a particular series of demonstrations," he said.

"I know ... 75 per cent. It's three quarters of the way there to confidence, to full confidence," Mr Mitchell responded.

Confusion over journalist's tweet
In one instance, Wilson Security's senior intelligence analyst cited a tweet from journalist Daniel Pye, as evidence Save the Children staff were leaking information to the media.

In his testimony to the Moss inquiry, Mr Mitchell said: "This is a guy who works for the Phnom Penh Times, so he's in direct contact with someone on Nauru."

"He's talking about academics working with refugees confirmed seven suicide attempts yesterday to me. Well, the only academics that work inside the centre are employed by Save the Children."

But Mr Mitchell misinterpreted Mr Pye's tweet. It contains a link to an article he wrote for Al Jazeera.

Mr Pye was not quoting Save the Children staff but Professor Suvendrini Perera.

Professor Perera had spoken directly with asylum seekers on Nauru and was quoted on the record for Mr Pye's article. She works for Curtin University, not Save the Children.

Mr Mitchell's testimony before the Moss inquiry also revealed he was approached to gather information on Save the Children in the lead-up to the Government's announcement of an inquiry.

"I think it was either the 28th or the 29th of September," he told Mr Moss.

"I was approached by someone from the department ... [who] just said that we're interested in anything you've got on Save the Children."

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton was unavailable for interview.

"We're not going to comment before the report is released," a spokesman for the Minister said.

There is speculation the Moss report will be released this week. Lateline understands it will detail allegations of sexual abuse as well as the trade in sexual favours between guards and detainees.

The transcripts of evidence seen by the ABC contain harrowing testimonies of sexual abuse.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

We're not looking to provide evidence. We're just looking at information of where there's likely to be an issue," he said.

When pressed by Mr Moss over allegations that Save the Children staff encouraged asylum seekers to self harm, Mr Mitchell provided no specific evidence, instead citing a previous report from former operations manager at Nauru, Greg Lake.

"I'm feeding back to Lake's comments in July," Mr Mitchell said.

"He says he knows this goes on. Coaching absolutely does go on."

Mr Moss said more clarification was needed.
[...]

"I think it was either the 28th or the 29th of September," he told Mr Moss.

"I was approached by someone from the department ... [who] just said that we're interested in anything you've got on Save the Children."
Of course it was all bullshit from the very begining. Whoever heard of something so ridiculous as refugee advocates or whoever encouraging self harm, I find it very difficult to believe any adult would ever believe such a thing.* Also peter dutton looks like a pimple in a suit.

*not counting feigning belief and concern, obviously.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 9, 2015

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hooman posted:

Did someone leave it on the top shelf of the bookshelf again? Have you lost your little step up stool?

No. I said I couldn't get up from the couch. Go see if sadistech can get you one of those magnifying glass sheets.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Murodese posted:

I'm guessing not well considering when I was working in Belgium, the first thing a colleague said to me when I said I was from Australia was "oh right, the place that tortures refugees".

really wish that was stdh.txt, too

Pretty scathing criticism from a country that banned the Burqa

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ratbag is an extremely bad person.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I actually wish we could come up with some convincing arguments for GG, not because it would help lurkers or whatever but because I don't think he's a troll, he's pretty much got the same opinion as 90% of the people I meet when I step outside my own personal little echo chamber, and I'd just like to know what the gently caress would convince these people that what we're doing is wrong because its actually very devastating to my emotional well-being to have to play nice IRL* with people who actually don't mind that we're complicit in the imprisonment and torture of a large group human beings because a couple of them burned a building down to protest that they were being held in lovely inhumane conditions.

The "welp they rioted and burned down a building so they don't deserve poo poo" attitude is so prevalent and I just can't even get close to understanding it. Is your life really so loving comfortable and cushy that you can't think of any circumstances in which you might actually be compelled to riot in protest? What about the other 380 people in the detention centre? Do you honestly believe all 400 people, children included, are responsible for that fire? What the gently caress happened to this country when our working class became the biggest purveyors of the myopic "gently caress you, got mine" mindset? ** Were we really just a certain amount of affluence away from turning into a pack of fuckwits? Is there anything we can do to reverse this? In my vindictive mind, an economic collapse would solve all our problems, but the more I think about it the more I wonder if an actual depression would just propel us into actual honest-to-god fascism. The people that believe those in detention deserve what they get aren't literal monsters but they're so far removed from our perception of reality that no matter how much I calmly try to explain to them why what we're doing to these people is wrong regardless of if they're refugees or "economic migrants", they won't listen. I want to believe if we keep showing how bad conditions in these centres are, people will come around eventually, but as has been demonstrated in this thread, if you show an example of something that crosses their moral rubicon, they just claim our government isn't responsible for the actions of guards in another country, but it is, because we loving put them there and we are the ones that decided we didn't want them on our soil for reasons of legal technicality. What can we do? I've written my MP, I've written my Labor and Liberal Senators. I've protested and I've tried to talk to the man on the street because I'm a working class dude and I like to think they'll listen to me because I don't have an ivory tower, but the best concession I've managed to get out of someone is that they don't think its morally right but that we need to discourage queue jumpers somehow. How the gently caress did the well of our national discourse get so poisoned that we became cynical enough to treat an entire group of people that we all acknowledge risked their lives to get here as economic migrants? Who the gently caress risks the lives of their families to attain a higher standard of living? Are we that egotistical that we think our nation is so loving special that people would rather die than NOT come here?

Sorry if the conversation's moved on, there was at least half a page of stuff when I started writing this, but GG's contributions to this thread are important in a hosed up way because they're the opinions of a lot of people and while I would like to put him on ignore I also don't want to stop looking for answers for how to talk to these kinds of people because I can't just put them on ignore in real life and they're loving everywhere. On the other hand I have absolutely no evidence to suggest there's anything I can do to change their minds, so maybe the echo chamber is for the best, because its loving exhausting just acknowledging that our nation is full of people who honestly believe its ok to imprison children in a squalid hell hole just for the crime of coming here on a loving boat, let alone trying to convince them of anything.

*by which I mean not saying that they should shove cyanide up their rear end

** "The Howard Years" is an accurate but not very informative answer to this

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This was a really good post, I'm glad you made it even if ratbag ignores it completely.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bifauxnen posted:

This was a really good post, I'm glad you made it even if ratbag ignores it completely.

why should he read a thing by any of you when just disagreeing with you leads to a demented string of embarrassing petulant meltdowns

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Orkin Mang posted:

why should he read a thing by any of you when just disagreeing with you leads to a demented string of embarrassing petulant meltdowns

He clearly cares because he keeps posting here.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MC Eating Disorder posted:

The "welp they rioted and burned down a building so they don't deserve poo poo" attitude is so prevalent and I just can't even get close to understanding it.

It's a lot easier to deal with if you think they deserve it. If you thought they didn't deserve it you might have to reevaluate your own position, which would mean admitting you were wrong, which is very difficult for a lot of people, especially when they see people who support refugees as latte-sipping, good-doing, inner-city-living antichrists.

http://www.peplaulab.ucla.edu/Peplau_Lab/Publications_files/Rubin%20%26%20Peplau%201975s.pdf

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Orkin Mang posted:

This

Not once did he answer a question or even address a point made by anyone in a reasoned way.
Since it's a troll account I'm betting its one of the regulars from here having fun making you all poo poo the bed

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I care so little about auspol that I post in it every day, what of it carefags

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LOL talk about shutting the gate after the horse has bolted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-10/abbott-government-reinstating-241-billion-in-car-industry-fund/6292868

quote:

The Abbott Government is set to reinstate nearly $1 billion in funding for the car industry, in its latest move to cast aside several contentious policies.

The Coalition had planned to cut the funding, following announcements from Holden, Ford and Toyota that they would wind up car manufacturing in Australia in the next few years.

It is estimated tens of thousands of people will lose their jobs as the impact of the closures also hits the component sector.

Car companies had blamed the then-high Australian dollar, high costs of manufacturing and low economies of scale for their decision.

The funding cut was to have been made to the Automotive Transformation Scheme, which is slated to pump nearly $2 billion into the ailing industry.

But the government slashed the funding in last year's budget, in accordance with an election commitment, saying the savings would go towards the budget bottom line and "policy priorities".

After Holden's announcement in December 2013, Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced $60 million in federal funding for job creation in the states most affected — South Australia and Victoria.

"We don't want to see corporate welfare, what we want to see is a country which has got the economic fundamentals right," he said.

But the cut prompted fears the car makers would bring forward their closure dates.

Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane is expected to announce the policy change this morning in Adelaide.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Maybe they can reopen the Lightburn factory.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Yeah, I doubt this is going to change Holden or Toyota's decision at all. They've already started the plans to shutdown and it's doubtful that $1b alone is going to make a difference. Adults in charge, etc.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

norp posted:

This

Not once did he answer a question or even address a point made by anyone in a reasoned way.
Since it's a troll account I'm betting its one of the regulars from here having fun making you all poo poo the bed

Dunno why people keep insisting he is some sort of fabricated gimmick account when he represents a very real and sizeable chunk of the Australian voting population as MCED said.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Whether he's a troll or not doesn't really matter, it's not like people are posting for his benefit. At least I hope they aren't.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cpaf posted:

Dunno why people keep insisting he is some sort of fabricated gimmick account when he represents a very real and sizeable chunk of the Australian voting population as MCED said.

Ehhh, he's at least partially trolling. He tells us that he won't share his "real views" because all us mean ol' lefties with jump all over him, but that happens anyway since he says other reprehensible poo poo. Clearly he must not have much of a problem with people telling him to go off himself since he keeps coming back and posting, either that or he's actually dumb enough to stick his hand in the proverbial fire over and over again, in which case he's also too dumb to understand anyone's arguments and changing his opinion is pretty much futile.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile back in Perth:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-10/parliamentary-clerk-carrying-baseball-bat-when-arrested/6293038

quote:

Parliamentary clerk carrying baseball bat, balaclava when arrested, police say
By Graeme Powell
Updated 38 minutes ago

Police in Perth say the deputy clerk of the Legislative Council, Nigel Lake, was wearing latex gloves and carrying a baseball bat and a balaclava when he was arrested last month.

A police car patrolling the suburb of City Beach on the night of February 17 saw a man acting suspiciously on foot and stopped him.

It was alleged he was wearing a black hoodie, latex gloves, black pants and black shoes and was carrying a baseball bat and balaclava.

Lake, 49, was charged with possessing a controlled weapon and possessing a disguise intended for use in connection with committing an offence.

Police said further investigations led them to charge him with installing and using a tracking device.

Police would not reveal the identity of a potential target.

Lake was stopped near the home of his boss Nigel Pratt - the Clerk of the Legislative Council.

:allears:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Seems pretty parliamentary to me. :shrug:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Our political fixers over here mean business.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

This got emailed to the Greens office. Election season~

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Bill Shorten Drops Ice Cream Cone Seconds After Purchase posted:

Photos and tweets from bystanders have surfaced indicating that Opposition Leader Bill Shorten was spotted dropping an ice cream cone this morning mere seconds after purchasing it from the ice cream truck.

According to the bystanders the Leader of the Opposition looked "chipper" as he walked quickly down to the ice cream truck with a big smile on his face and gave the impression of a man "without a care in the world" as he whistled gaily to himself while waiting in line to order his favourite ice cream, a single scoop of vanilla in a plain cone.

It was then, witnesses report, that tragedy struck: "He was leaning forward to take a big bite when the scoop of ice cream toppled from the cone, plummeting to the ground. You could tell right away that he was heartbroken.

"Where before he was upright and cheerful, eyebrows raised in appreciation of a beautiful world, he became hunched and downcast. His shoulders slumped as he rooted around in his pockets for the money to purchase another cone but to no avail, that was all of his lunch money gone.

“It was bizarre. He just kept muttering ‘But Billy loves ice cream’ to himself over and over like some religious chant.

"He kicked at the dirt once and marched somberly back into parliament to presumedly try find some joy in whatever gaff the Prime Minister had made over the weekend."

This is not the first time the Opposition Leader has publicly been the recipient of bad fortune, with such incidents including having recently sat on a bench covered in wet paint immediately before question time and forgetting he was on microphone while repeating the mantra “You’re a man Bill, you’re a handsome sexual man worthy of respect” to himself backstage at ABC television program Q & A and then once again on the panel.

Comment from Shorten’s office have indicated that while the Leader of the Opposition is disappointed in this turn of events, he is feeling optimistic about the future.

“While this has certainly been a tough time for Mr Shorten, what with the ice cream incident, the thing with the beehive, that time he forgot his own name in a press conference and just yesterday when the chain fell off his bike just metres from his front door, Bill believes that things are really going to change for him.

“He’s certain whatever the future holds for him it will be smooth sailing and you know what, maybe he didn’t even want to have an ice cream anyway so whatever.”

Shorten spent the majority of question time trying to shrug off the incident stating

“We are interested in fighting this Prime Minister’s unfair budget not the unfair loss of a delicious ice cream cone on a warm day. An ice cream cone made just the way Billy likes it. A poor, innocent cone. Sorry, where was I? What’s happening with medicare?”
The struggle is real.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Is it bad that I feel really sad when I see someone drop an ice-cream? It's just so tragic.

Moments before getting to the tasty goodness of ice-cream, it is thrust out of your hands by the cruel and harsh hand of gravity.

It's loving tragic.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

This is the dumbest thing. Forget about funding programs to re-train or educate the people who will be losing their jobs, and forget about using that money to support businesses and industry that's still actually operating in areas like Elizabeth. Just hand over a billion dollars to GM and Toyota.

It was exactly this kind of corporate welfare that led to the situation we're in. If I worked at Holden I would want to riot.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

cpaf posted:

If you think of ratbag's posts as a sort of training dummy for arguing points with actual people then they are much easier to consider. If you are discussing this sort of thing with a person in real life (for argument’s sake, I mean, who talks to people in real life) and you're going to go with the "take a cyanide suppository" approach, well, it should be clear that you not going to change many minds, and then just being surprised when that inexplicably doesn’t change his tune is just dumb. It's not a shame that ratbag won't read MCED's post because it shouldn’t have been aimed at him, to me it read more as a sort of conciliatory post towards the rest of the thread, from someone reaching out in mutual exasperation after dealing with the sort ideologies like ratbag's that wear you down with their insensitivity and to which you need to work out how to best address their points reasonably and logically and see if you can bring them around with critical thinkioh wait sorry this is Australia yeah we’re fukt.

Fruity Gordo posted:

Bill Shorten Drops Ice Cream Cone Seconds After Purchase:

LABOR WASTE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lets riot anyway.

I feel like rioting all the time now. :(

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Mad Katter posted:

This is the dumbest thing. Forget about funding programs to re-train or educate the people who will be losing their jobs, and forget about using that money to support businesses and industry that's still actually operating in areas like Elizabeth. Just hand over a billion dollars to GM and Toyota.

It was exactly this kind of corporate welfare that led to the situation we're in. If I worked at Holden I would want to riot.

Actually rioting only means that you're eligible for torture, so it wouldn't be in their rational self-interest to express their anger in any way other than at the ballot box in the appropriate time as set out in the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918. In the meantime they should take heart that the wisdom of the free market will find a way, the filthy loving prole scum.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Howdy,

Appreciate your views.

It's funny though how few political views I actually give yet I'm all of these imagined horrible things just because I don't dance when the mob demands I explain myself.

People here say I'm disturbed. I'm not the one going full retard demanding that I commit suicide or that they intend to rape and kill me.

If this is how you intend to change popular opinion with mainstream Australia then all I can say is LOL, good loving luck.

All in all though it is fun to read auspol. When you aren't acting like completely tribal fuckwits you can be fairly insightful.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

Howdy,

Appreciate your views.

It's funny though how few political views I actually give yet I'm all of these imagined horrible things just because I don't dance when the mob demands I explain myself.

People here say I'm disturbed. I'm not the one going full retard demanding that I commit suicide or that they intend to rape and kill me.

If this is how you intend to change popular opinion with mainstream Australia then all I can say is LOL, good loving luck.

All in all though it is fun to read auspol. When you aren't acting like completely tribal fuckwits you can be fairly insightful.

Can you see the reasoning behind asking for an explanation for views?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Les Affaires posted:

Can you see the reasoning behind asking for an explanation for views?

From where I sit it's to it would seem to be to gather further ammo for further waves of vitriol.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Holy hell you're a crybaby.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I agree Craig, you should probably stop posting forever so as not to give us any more ammo or any more reason to think that you're a very bad person. A sound decision which will yield best results.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

From where I sit it's to it would seem to be to gather further ammo for further waves of vitriol.

I don't think I've ever asked you to top yourself or anything like it, I just prefer it when people have a basis to their claims. I think we all do, wouldn't you agree?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

cpaf posted:

Seriously, I'm at least 40% sure he's actually my dad

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Murodese posted:

Seriously, I'm at least 40% sure he's actually my dad

I'm the other 60% :wink:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

You've done more dancing in avoiding answering anything than you would if you just posted in good faith. I haven't and don't intend to aim any vitriol at you and I'd still like to see you post something beyond the pointless little time wasting posts you've been making. It does get more interesting here when "outsiders" are actually willing to engage in a real exchange of ideas.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

markgreyam posted:

If you think of ratbag's posts as a sort of training dummy for arguing points with actual people then they are much easier to consider. If you are discussing this sort of thing with a person in real life (for argument’s sake, I mean, who talks to people in real life) and you're going to go with the "take a cyanide suppository" approach, well, it should be clear that you not going to change many minds, and then just being surprised when that inexplicably doesn’t change his tune is just dumb.

Yeah, this is pretty much my argument. Going Fruity Gordo at people isn't going to change any minds ever, because people bunker the gently caress down when they're under attack. Manipulating them into changing their opinion is far more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
That's a D/ Come out swinging, only C/ Make poo poo up to go :dance:

-/-

OK today I'm angry about obvious stuff that nobody every brings up.

I did an effort post about this recently. Even without considering the long term impacts on our super system this is dumb. First home buyers haven't been in the system long enough for their accumulated super to look anything like a house deposit. Like the medicare changes it only makes sense if you are actually trying to break the system.

-/-

Stopping deaths at sea

quote:

There are other, more immediate actions the government could also take to help prevent further deaths at sea. One is to remove its harsh people smuggling sentencing laws along with the policy of confiscating asylum seeker boats. These policies only incentivise people smugglers to utilise vessels that are unseaworthy, overcrowded and manned by inexperienced, uninformed and often desperate and underage Indonesians, altogether increasing the risk of a tragedy at sea.

The other is to improve Australia’s search and rescue procedures. When the SIEX X sunk in 2001, resulting in the deaths of 353 mostly women and children, it was later revealed through a senate inquiry that the federal
police had withheld critical information about the boat being overdue for four hours to protect the classified source who provided the information. Unfortunately, almost a decade after the tragic sinking of the SIEV X,
the same mistakes are being made. On the 3 October 2009, authorities became aware that an asylum seeker boat was in distress and taking on water. Yet, once again, the federal police and customs waited four hours
before passing on that information to maritime safety to mount a rescue so that they could protect their source. The 105 asylum seekers on board all perished. When a boat capsized in June 2012, the Australian authorities left the Indonesian search and rescue agency in charge without adequate information and even though they were hopelessly under-equipped to mount a rescue. Vice-Marshal Daryatmo, head of Indonesia's
search and rescue agency, said his organisation was “hopelessly under-equipped for ocean rescue and needed help from Australia if it were to save asylum seekers at sea.” Ninety asylum seekers drowned.

Even over a decade since the SIEV X disaster and multiple governmental inquiries, mistakes continue to be repeated time and again. It is time Australia got its priorities straight regarding the safety and wellbeing of asylum seekers. We must work towards establishing the conditions whereby people are presented with other genuine opportunities before being forced to risk their lives at sea.

How quickly we forget that Australia had (and still does) a policy of actively assisting the deaths of Asylum seekers at sea. The reason there are no more boat arrivals is 100% smoke and mirrors in any case. An island in Darwin Harbour doesn't count. If we tow them back or let them go in doctored lifeboats it's not our problem if they are subsequently harmed.

But even then:

Like throwing your garbage over the fence into your neighbours yard, the macho 'on water' bullshit doesn't remove the huge number of desperate people fleeing persecution and warfare (Wars we may have started and regimes we often either helped install or support). It just increases the danger to them as they seek other channels. These may or may not be as perilous but suggesting we've solved the issue of deaths at sea is loving ludicrous.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/31/italy-sea-mission-thousands-risk

Every time anyone tries to suggest our current policy has somehow prevented deaths at sea they should be pilloried. It's a lie. Here's some graphs that are tangentially related to other myths and some resources.

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/docs/news&events/rw/2010/4%20-%20Myths%20and%20facts%20about%20refugees%20and%20asylum%20seekers%202010.pdf

http://www.asrc.org.au/pdf/myths-facts-solutions-info_.pdf

-/-

I think we have begun the long spiral into the Tory vote recovery (despite that last poll). We now need a :siren: NEW WAR ON DRUGS!!!!! ICE EPIDEMIC OH MY GOD LAW AND ORDER!!!! :siren:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/australia-seeks-help-abroad-in-ice-battle/6292670

quote:

Australia seeks help abroad in ice battle

Tuesday 10 March 2015 7:35AM

The Federal Government has shared Australia's experience and asked for international help in the war against the drug ice.

Assistant Minister for Health Senator Fiona Nash told RN Breakfast in 2014 that the war against ice was a number one priority.

Well if they were actually listening to any sane advice 'abroad' they'd know that 'battle', 'war' and incarceration were a spectacular gently caress up. To the point that if anyone mentions War on Drugs seriously they should be mocked relentlessly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_on_Drugs

Everybody who isn't a nincompoop knows this has been a ghastly, expensive and embarrassing failure. The Australian population isn't really that stupid are they?

Muppet Government for Muppets, by muppets.

-/-

And I'm not done being mad yet. ANZAC day :australia: A reminder. ANZAC day is commemorated (Note - not celebrated) on the anniversary of our involvement in a futile misadventure at the direction of a distant foreign (Although historically connected) power. This is the day we chose because it reflected the widespread view that we should never throw the flower of our nation away in anything so futile ever again. The historical gravitas of the commemoration and the solemn intoning of 'Lest we Forget' is also meant to encompass this view.

To usurp the message of ANZAC day is about the most deeply disrespectful thing you could do to the memory and wishes of my ancestors. I never got to see a large number of my great uncles and uncles because of the stupidity of 1914 and the subsequent horrors of 1939. I will not be lectured on the fighting spirit of our brave service personnel by the likes of NTATA who repeats the lessons that our forebears begged us all to never forget. gently caress that.

• Locked thread