Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Matthew Beet posted:

I'm the other 60% :wink:

I don't think you're my dad, I just think you and LesAffaires are the same person and I wish both of you would be my lovers :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Murodese posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much my argument. Going Fruity Gordo at people isn't going to change any minds ever, because people bunker the gently caress down when they're under attack. Manipulating them into changing their opinion is far more effective.

Your vendetta is excruciatingly boring fyi

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Fruity Gordo posted:

I agree Craig, you should probably stop posting forever so as not to give us any more ammo or any more reason to think that you're a very bad person. A sound decision which will yield best results.
Maybe we should just continue posting about politics.

You'll keep doing what you do. I'll throw in my occasional 2 cents worth. You'll all go berserk. I'll get a chuckle and we will all carry on like before.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
In a cafe

They have an OZ burger

Egg

Pineapple

Beetroot

I hate everything.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Fruity Gordo posted:

Your vendetta is excruciatingly boring fyi

It's cute that you think I actually give a poo poo about you beyond turning your name into a synonym for "flipping the gently caress out randomly and forcefully"

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

Maybe we should just continue posting about politics.

You'll keep doing what you do. I'll throw in my occasional 2 cents worth. You'll all go berserk. I'll get a chuckle and we will all carry on like before.

Oh come on. Really?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think torture is grouse

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Les Affaires posted:

Oh come on. Really?
LOL - what do you want me to do?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

LOL - what do you want me to do?

Stick up for your beliefs. Debate in good faith. Pretty much what this subforum is about. :)

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lid posted:

In a cafe

They have an OZ burger

Egg

Pineapple

Beetroot

I hate everything.

mafia's made you rather monosyllabic

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Murodese posted:

It's cute that you think I actually give a poo poo about you beyond turning your name into a synonym for "flipping the gently caress out randomly and forcefully"

I care about you so little that I will create any opportunity to mock you I can come up with. :smug: - not a boring compulsion

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Les Affaires posted:

Stick up for your beliefs. Debate in good faith. Pretty much what this subforum is about. :)
Yeah, would that be before or after I shove the cyanide up my arse?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

You know how we block tiring trolls? Why don't you just block people suggesting you shove cyanide up your rear end?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

It's easy to ignore people's vitriol (via ignore button) but I put to you that it's far more difficult and brave to actively defend your beliefs against good faith scrutiny.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murodese posted:

You know how we block tiring trolls? Why don't you just block people suggesting you shove cyanide up your rear end?

because blocking people is for precious little babies. it's what tearie little ultras do when someone disagrees with them.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

because blocking people is for precious little babies. it's what tearie little ultras do when someone disagrees with them.

how... did u see my post then

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
:rolleyes:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Master of puppets is pulling my striiiiiiiiiiiiiiings!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Endman posted:

Master of puppets is pulling my striiiiiiiiiiiiiiings!

It's actually "I'm pulling your strings"

Graic Gabtar main account spotted

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

hiddenmovement posted:

It's actually "I'm pulling your strings"

Graic Gabtar main account spotted

Metallica sucks, so I'm okay with messing up the lyrics.

The second part of your post though? Mate.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I don't need two accounts when my posting is this good.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It barely warrants the one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Matthew Beet posted:

No. I said I couldn't get up from the couch. Go see if sadistech can get you one of those magnifying glass sheets.

Sadistech: Mobility and aged care service provider to goons.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Just call me Endman, Tribune of Plebs.

I'm here to keep the posting patricians honest.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

hooman posted:

Sadistech: Mobility and aged care service provider to goons.

Saddesttech

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

MARCH BRISGOON AUSPOL MEET

Where are we eating, when are we eating?

Do we want to return to Sukachi now its reopened and spend $400 on chicken and beer, or go to Mu'ooz like we keep intending to, or shall we pick a new indian place?

Cartoon wants to come and meet early april so im fine with any time/place

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Not included in graph: $1500-$3000 per week cost per person of locking up irregular maritime arrivals in worse conditions than convicted murderers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
400 dollars for chicken is kinda crazy. I'm so glad I got rid of those sideburns.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I'd just like to know what the gently caress would convince these people

Basically, put them under anaesthetic, give them a skin graft to be dark-skinned, like, Aborigine in Far NQ skinned, or heart of Africa skinned, then make them live their lives. That's the only thing that will make them understand. They are incapable of empathy, and have all the intellectual rigour of primary school children.

Kommando posted:

Whitepeople.jpg

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Not pictured: me because I managed to duck out of the photo just in time muahaha.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What are you talking about? I see heaps of races!

Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs, Humans.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Mostly trolls.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Anidav posted:

All I see is zergs, orcs, and a few ogres.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Nice avatar, BB.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kommando posted:

lol

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Graic Gabtar posted:

It's funny though how few political views I actually give yet I'm all of these imagined horrible things just because I don't respond to simple questions or argue in good faith.

I fixed that one for you.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Basically, put them under anaesthetic, give them a skin graft to be dark-skinned, like, Aborigine in Far NQ skinned, or heart of Africa skinned, then make them live their lives. That's the only thing that will make them understand. They are incapable of empathy, and have all the intellectual rigour of primary school children.

Whitepeople.jpg

There is a person in this picture who looks like a fat version of me. This is worrisome.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

There is a person in this picture who looks like a fat version of me. This is worrisome.

It is you, you're fatter than you thought.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/10/goodwill-letters-to-asylum-seekers-on-nauru-returned-unopened

"Well we cant deliver any of these letters, that would give them a false sense of hope and they might realise that all Australians dont hate them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hey, want to make an asylum seekers life slightly less terrible by writing them a letter of support and friendship?

Goodwill letters to asylum seekers on Nauru returned unopened posted:

Immigration department delivers three boxes of mail to barrister Julian Burnside – six months after he was assured it was being distributed to detainees.

Well to bad!

quote:

Thousands of goodwill letters sent by Australians to immigration detainees held on Nauru have been returned unopened. The letters of comfort and support were organised by the Melbourne barrister Julian Burnside. He did the same in 2001 after asylum seekers on the Tampa were detained for long periods. Last year, with the support of advocacy and social justice groups, he organised for almost 2,000 letters from Australians to be sent to detainees on Nauru. A similar number were sent to people at the processing centre on Manus Island.

The letters were directed to people whose identity and boat number are known to Burnside. Each letter contained a self-addressed stamped envelope so the detainees could reply to the sender if they wished. The letters were designed to let the detainees know that Australians were thinking of them, that they were not alone and that not everyone is hostile to refugees. By the middle of last year it was apparent that the letter writers had not received any replies from Nauru.

Burnside followed up with an email inquiry to Nikki Keirven, then the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s lead service delivery officer at the Nauru offshore processing centre. On 25 June 2014 she replied:

Thank you for your email. I appreciate you have an interest in knowing whether the letters you have been sending are arriving in Nauru. I can confirm that they are arriving and are being distributed to transferees by the service provider [Transfield Services]. This is a work in progress given that letters continue to arrive. There are also a number of letters which have arrived for transferees who have departed Nauru. Where forwarding addresses are available, they will be forwarded on.

However, replies from detainees were still not being received. This was considered unusual, as in the past asylum seekers had been responsive to messages of support.

What followed was months of email correspondence between Burnside and the department. It emerged that the Nauruan postal authorities would only accept the self-addressed envelopes if the Australian stamps had been purchased in Nauru.

edit: ↑↑ or what they said ↑↑

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread