Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't know that it's Christies scandals that have hurt him that bad or his seeming attempts to go back and forth from moderate to GOP firebrand multiple times before it even mattered and the idea that he gave Obama some sort of photo op by not telling him to gently caress off when he was viewing the damage from Sandy. GOP voters are very sore about that one still and it's really sad/funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
I'd say it's probably some combination of the two, but those numbers are the polling equivalent of being booed off stage. That doesn't just happen. I wouldn't want to be Christie's local Dunkin' Donuts after he saw that poll. I mean, his negatives are only second to Donald "Not A Real Candidate" Trump and Christie hasn't even run a national campaign yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DaveWoo posted:

Wouldn't be too hard for the GOP to get a path to victory - they'd just need to take back Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and one of Colorado, New Hampshire, or Iowa.

Whether they take back Florida depends on how active Tallahassee's voter suppression efforts are in South Florida. Jeb Bush is not remembered fondly down here except in terms of "Baal, Second Lord of the Pit, would be better than our current governor."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Basically what I'm getting from these maps is that the DNC is going to be dropping literal fucktons of money into Florida in 2016.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cythereal posted:

Whether they take back Florida depends on how active Tallahassee's voter suppression efforts are in South Florida. Jeb Bush is not remembered fondly down here except in terms of "Baal, Second Lord of the Pit, would be better than our current governor."

The big obstacle in Florida for the GOP is that it will be both a Presidential election and they won't be going against the sub-scout team Florida Democratic Party. Jeb would be a much bigger factor if it weren't two administrations since he was in. Add in his brother's ruining of the family name and his failure to turn Florida red the last two times and he's probably got a worse chance than Rubio of winning the state against Clinton.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bobby Jindal has a super PAC that's either promoting a Presidential run or a management seminar. It's kind of hard to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz9sfW91y84

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Basically what I'm getting from these maps is that the DNC is going to be dropping literal fucktons of money into Florida in 2016.

Maybe even moreso for the RNC. There are ways for them to win without Florida, but they're pretty far fetched. For instance this:

If you're the GOP candidate, you've pried 6 states compared to the 2012 Obama coalition, and you still lose becuase of Florida's importance.

And even if you do win Florida, you still need AT LEAST Ohio, Virginia and one more.

oldswitcheroo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 10, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
State EV maps are fun, but it's almost certainly the case that the candidate who wins the national popular vote will win enough electoral votes to become President :ssh:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Wisconsin isn't gonna go red come the gently caress on.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

State EV maps are fun, but it's almost certainly the case that the candidate who wins the national popular vote will win enough electoral votes to become President :ssh:

Well then the GOP is even more hosed because since 1988 they've only won the popular vote once.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Starting with the 2012 map, let's say Florida, Ohio, and Wisconsin flip red after historic post-VRA vote suppression efforts. Is Iowa, consistently blue excepting 2004, going to go against Hillary? Michigan?

Iowa just overwhelmingly voted in the person who inspired this amusing t-shirt

I would not be surprised at all if Iowa voted for the republican in 2016.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

What is the GOP's path to victory? I've been playing with electoral college numbers and having a hard time coming up with a way Hillary would lose without things going really badly for the Democrats.

Starting with the 2012 map, let's say Florida, Ohio, and Wisconsin flip red after historic post-VRA vote suppression efforts. Is Iowa, consistently blue excepting 2004, going to go against Hillary? Michigan?

Consistently blue Iowa has two Republican senators, a Republican governor and three (out of four) of its house members are Republicans. I think they also control the legislature. Its less consistently blue than you think. So you can add that, Colorado and/or Virginia as states on that list that Republicans would need to win. Maybe NH too, its been sort of trending Democratic for awhile but NH likes to buck trends so we'll see.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 10, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Point being: there's so much money in the Presidential election now that all of the swing states will be over-targeted. Hillary will spend big in Florida... and in North Carolina, and in Virginia, and in Ohio, and in Colorado, and, yes, in Wisconsin. So much will be spent in each of these states that all of the available ad time will be bought by one campaign or the other. It will be well past the point of diminishing returns. It's possible that a campaign will get their message and/or organization better in one state than another, but this will likely be balanced out by a similar advantage by the other campaign elsewhere. The winning candidate is going to sweep all, or most, of the swing states, as Obama did in 2012 and Bush did in 2004.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

What is the GOP's path to victory? I've been playing with electoral college numbers and having a hard time coming up with a way Hillary would lose without things going really badly for the Democrats.

if the GOP takes wisconsin they've almost certainly taken iowa as well, which puts them over the top. they don't have a robust map but it's not impossible for them to win.

edit: dems actually control the the IA senate, usually the state is fairly split but 2014 went poorly.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

scott walker isn't above burning milwaukee to the ground

the remaining pockets of religious-left farmer folk in the upper mississippi valley could also flip if the GoP can ever get some of their Hillary scandal-baiting to stick

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

President Walker will see about that!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

President Walker will see about that!
I will eat my hat and also a bullet.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Wisconsin went for Obama by 9.5% in 2012, Republicans aren't winning it in 2016 no matter who they run, barring a landslide.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Slate Action posted:

Wisconsin went for Obama by 9.5% in 2012, Republicans aren't winning it in 2016 no matter who they run, barring a landslide.

6.9%, actually and only 0.3% for Kerry in 2004. Obama campaigned aggressively there in 2012 to get that result. If a Republican wins in 2016, Wisconsin will have been in play.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Slate Action posted:

obama won WI with 7 points. it would be a tough get for the gop for sure (especially since paul ryan was on the ballot in 2012), but i don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility. there have been a few swings of that magnitude. virginia, for example, went to bush by about 8 points in 2004 and then went to obama by 7 and 4 points for his elections, respectively. obama won an electoral vote in nebraska in 2008 and then got wiped out by 7 points in 2012. indiana had a like 11 point swing away from obama between 08 and 2012. and that 2012 margin was about 10 points better for the democrat than 2004.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
gently caress, I misclicked on the Wikipedia map and got the stats for Michigan instead. Seven points would still be a hell of a swing in a climate where most people's votes are pre-decided.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Joementum posted:

:smith:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Like Joe said, it's usually the popular vote. Right now, with the low price of gas, views on social issues, and gradual recovery, the Democrats are the more popular party. The most likely event to change that is an economic meltdown, not the Republicans somehow finding a perfect candidate or the Democrats running a terrible one.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Chamale posted:

Like Joe said, it's usually the popular vote. Right now, with the low price of gas, views on social issues, and gradual recovery, the Democrats are the more popular party. The most likely event to change that is an economic meltdown, not the Republicans somehow finding a perfect candidate or the Democrats running a terrible one.

Almost certainly... yet it happened less than 20 years ago. But no, I know it is unlikely. I just get sad when I think that we had to endure 8 years of Bush on a fluke.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Flip Wisconsin, virginia, and Colorado on this map and I think you have the most credible path to republican victory in 16. It's a tough map but not outside the realm of possibility

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Good Citizen posted:

Flip Wisconsin, virginia, and Colorado on this map and I think you have the most credible path to republican victory in 16. It's a tough map but not outside the realm of possibility

Colorado flipping seems extremely unlikely for a while. :420:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

While that's the closest way to a GOP victory, I don't think it's gonna happen. In my scenario, the GOP nominates someone crazy or stupid. I'm bullish for the Dems because I think Hillary (or Bill) can take a couple states that went blue in 92/96 while also retaining the 2008 Obama coalition with Virginia, North Carolina and Indiana. I think the biggest stretches of my logic are Arkansas and Kentucky, but imo this map is certainly viable.

edit this should be plus Nebraska-02

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 10, 2015

Naked Lincoln
Jan 19, 2010

Aliquid posted:

While that's the closest way to a GOP victory, I don't think it's gonna happen. In my scenario, the GOP nominates someone crazy or stupid. I'm bullish for the Dems because I think Hillary (or Bill) can take a couple states that went blue in 92/96 while also retaining the 2008 Obama coalition with Virginia, North Carolina and Indiana. I think the biggest stretches of my logic are Arkansas and Kentucky, but imo this map is certainly viable.

Indiana's gone blue only twice since 1940. It'd have to be a particularly crazy Republican candidate to push them back in the Democrats.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

emfive posted:

Colorado flipping seems extremely unlikely for a while. :420:

Really, because they just voted out a sitting Democratic senator who wasn't exactly unpopular before the campaign began.

Do you think that Alaska is going blue (like Pillowpantz sez) because it voted to legalize marijuana too?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
there are two factions to the republican party to keep in mind for 2016, the establishment, who have rallied around jeb, and the tea party, who have rallied around themselves. Walker is the only candidate who can talk both Tea Party and Establishment, so he's a strong contender for future R veep.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I vote that the GOP nominates Ted Cruz and that we liquidate all states that go red in the resulting election.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Aliquid posted:

SC is probably more plausible than KY or AR at this point.

I'd say Indiana and Missouri are out-of-reach, too, but I don't think I've ever read a good post-mortem of how Obama did so well there (particularly very white, pseudo-dixie Indiana) so who knows

In the mid-South the electorate has just changed a lot over the past two decades.

KY in '92:

KY in 2000:

KY in '12:

For reference, the four counties Obama won last time around were:

Jefferson and Fayette - the counties of Louisville and Lexington, respectively. Urban areas with decent-sized minority and professional populations and big universities.
Franklin - the county of Frankfort, the state capital, which is dominated by government employees and their dependents.
Elliott - a weird, isolated little place in the mountains which has not voted Republican in any presidential or midterm election since its chartering, 145 years ago.

That Obama carried these pretty narrowly is a mark of how grim things are.
Republicans have successfully defined the democratic party as the party of minorities, big-city liberals and ivory-tower elites, all groups that are resented throughout the state.

From personal experience I can tell you that all of those areas in Western KY that flipped can be considered deep deep red at this point, and probably would not flip back even if the Democrats nominated the ghost of Happy Chandler for the presidency. There are various reasons for this. Coal is dying (due to a combination of decreased demand and more accessible coal fields being played out) leading to the decline of organized labor and powerful resentment for government agencies perceived to be anti-coal. The national democratic party has taken much more liberal (and correct) stances on social issues, alienating the religious folk who dominate rural areas. And so on and so forth. Even if Hillary can retake some of the eastern mountain counties won by Gore and/or Kerry, there are not enough votes between them and the cities to outweigh the whole of the pennyrile (the unabashedly dixieland portion of the state), the western coal fields and the rural bluegrass.

I wish I could say my state has the sense to vote correctly, but it is just not gonna happen in the foreseeable future*.

Can't make such strong guarantees about the other mid-south states that I don' t know as well, but I reckon the outlook is much the same in AR, TN and WV, even if Bill's legacy helps make Arkansas a bit more competitive than it has been lately. Democratic gains in the South are much more likely in the Carolinas or Georgia.

Also, while Bill could have won the general election without Ross Perot's presence, Perot was definitely a big factor in the southern states Bill took. No Ross Perot this time.

While Hillary won't win these mid-South states and should not waste time/money trying, it might be cool if she polls just well enough to make the Republicans spend some money locking the region down. Money that could be spent in Virginia or Ohio.

*unless the Republicans are actually dumb enough to nominate Ted Cruz, which puts about a dozen safe-R states into play.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 10, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
It is hard to overstate the problems with the Indiana democratic party. The state party is more concerned with beating the Marion county democrats (Indianapolis) than any Republicans.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Indiana is basically not going to happen. North Carolina has a decent chance though. One of the reasons Obama won NC in 2008 was incredibly high minority turnout at the time. The turnout wasn't quite as high in 2012, while rural turnout remained high let Romney squeak through. But a Hillary campaign should get enough cross-over women to flip that last percent back over to Blue, if played correctly.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Slaan posted:

Indiana is basically not going to happen. North Carolina has a decent chance though. One of the reasons Obama won NC in 2008 was incredibly high minority turnout at the time. The turnout wasn't quite as high in 2012, while rural turnout remained high let Romney squeak through. But a Hillary campaign should get enough cross-over women to flip that last percent back over to Blue, if played correctly.

I'm not so sure on your last point, how much crossover minority vote did Obama receive?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

State chat is silly. Let's talk about the possibilities of a recession, major terrorist attack, or Hillary Clinton having a serious health problem after the DNC.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

It's hard to see Hillary generating the sheer level of excitement that allowed Obama to fare well in (national-level) GoP strongholds like IN, MO and MT

I don't think there will be any weird states in play this cycle. It will be the same swing-state slate as 2012

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm not so sure on your last point, how much crossover minority vote did Obama receive?

Very little. Mostly because minorities tend to vote extremely blue, so gains were mostly from extra turnout rather than cross over. But women vote relatively equal across parties. Sharing the same sex won't matter for most women, but NC had recently been close enough that a .5% or 1% shift could tip things over. Even stealing votes on the margin matters in swing states.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

PupsOfWar posted:

It's hard to see Hillary generating the sheer level of excitement that allowed Obama to fare well in (national-level) GoP strongholds like IN, MO and MT

I don't think there will be any weird states in play this cycle. It will be the same swing-state slate as 2012

I don't know. The dems are doing well to start making women's issues that aren't bogged down by religious bullshit (abortion) into political issues. Obama giving nods to equal pay and childcare are things that Hillary could build on to chip away at the white, female republican vote. I mean, there is a limit to how much the GOP can thumb their noses at women's rights before they start bleeding votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

OctoberBlues posted:

Iowa just overwhelmingly voted in the person who inspired this amusing t-shirt

I would not be surprised at all if Iowa voted for the republican in 2016.

The thing is, using bread bags as boot liners was a thing in Iowa. We used to do it when I was growing up in Sioux City in the 80s. It's a regional quirk that's probably a bit out of date, but it's really weird seeing the rest of the country act like it's something so strange. It was just a cheap way to keep your feet dry in the rain and slush.

• Locked thread