Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

really want to know what time jeremy, richard and james get round the track in the reasonably priced car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Whorelord posted:

really want to know what time jeremy, richard and james get round the track in the reasonably priced car

In one of the old series Clarkson posted a 1'50" flat in the old Suzuki Liana with some passengers on board.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_test_track#Liana_leaderboard

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh man, I hope they can somehow put the Koenigsegg Regera on track with the 918, P1 and LaFerrari.

I know it's probably never going to happen, but a man can dream.

Unless Koenigsegg has changed their stance, they don't really care what the top speed of their cars are or how fast they go around tracks.

The last model was rumoured to be faster then the Veryon but they don't be bothered to max it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sbaldrick posted:

Unless Koenigsegg has changed their stance, they don't really care what the top speed of their cars are or how fast they go around tracks.

The last model was rumoured to be faster then the Veryon but they don't be bothered to max it.

Yeah, I don't think they've had a Koenigsegg on Top Gear since the CCX way back in 2006?

I really wish they'd feature the Agera RS and the Regera. I don't even care about how fast they go round the track, I just want to see Clarkson's reaction to driving them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Koenigsegg seem like The Dude of the supercar world sometimes.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Haven't caught up with the latest episode, but just wanted to mention that for the BC rescue episode, when Hammond mentioned the temperature being a "bitter" minus 10*C I had a chortle. Was out in the rockies over New Years and -10*C was a pleasure to be outside, once you went down to -20*C with wind and/or humidity, then it got decently cold. Also the discount survival books were a decent throwaway gag.

Silly Brits and their mild climate.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bajaha posted:

Haven't caught up with the latest episode, but just wanted to mention that for the BC rescue episode, when Hammond mentioned the temperature being a "bitter" minus 10*C I had a chortle. Was out in the rockies over New Years and -10*C was a pleasure to be outside, once you went down to -20*C with wind and/or humidity, then it got decently cold. Also the discount survival books were a decent throwaway gag.

Silly Brits and their mild climate.

He was outside for 3 days straight though.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

also living in a yeti's frozen butthole isn't something to be proud of

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

pik_d posted:

He was outside for 3 days straight though.

Ehhh I have some doubts about that. From the equipment and food they showed I seriously doubt he was there for 3 days. They were probably there for one night at most while they got in all the shots needed for the bit. It's a TV show, not a real life documentary.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Ehhh I have some doubts about that. From the equipment and food they showed I seriously doubt he was there for 3 days. They were probably there for one night at most while they got in all the shots needed for the bit. It's a TV show, not a real life documentary.

Pretty sure Hammond stayed in a hotel. TG is not very factual show. I'm also pretty sure they were in the Monashees and not the Rockies. When James slipped off the road, there was no way he was getting out without a tow from one of the Land Rovers they were filming with.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mod sassinator posted:

3 hours max.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

spog posted:

3 hours max.

How many minutes of video do we actually have of him up there?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bajaha posted:

How many minutes of video do we actually have of him up there?

To be fair he's shown at quite a few different times of day. Also it's snowing at one point then not snowing. Maybe he wasn't there 3 days, but he was definitely there for at least one.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

A slightly bigger fire and a bit more structure on his shelter and he would have been pretty toasty. Those Canada goose jackets are pretty warm too. Some eagle eyed viewers found that he was staying on Reco mountain, not wolf mountain, but I'm not sure where the closest 5 star resort is located.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
When Hammond was reviewing the new MX5, was he driving on a 1 way road? He was in a RHD car but kept driving in the right lane. I know they close the route sometimes but even in the helicopter shots he would spend most of the time in the right lane for no apparent reason.

That Jag was amazing.

"Which Jag?"

Yes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They probably closed that whole section so he could drive on it however he wanted.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tanner! :neckbeard:

GutBomb posted:

I don't think so. This one had the sound clip that kicked off all the speculation.

I want to see Tanner vs Stig Prime :(

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

howe_sam posted:

Tanner! :neckbeard:

I want to see Tanner vs Stig Prime :(
Tanner's pass was when he got bumped by the other car in the fight. May going off road to open up the gap didn't help.

The Joker lap is a great strategic twist to add to a race.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Good racing etiquette would have been for May to get the gently caress out of the way of the leaders.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Bajaha posted:

A slightly bigger fire and a bit more structure on his shelter and he would have been pretty toasty. Those Canada goose jackets are pretty warm too. Some eagle eyed viewers found that he was staying on Reco mountain, not wolf mountain, but I'm not sure where the closest 5 star resort is located.

For him to have had a better structure, he'd have to built something seriously sturdy like a one man shelter. That would've taken him at least a day or two with the proper tools, though. I built one with pre-cut/measured logs,and a tarp subbed in for pine tree branches in roughly 6 hours. It was exhausting work. The payoff was 7 hours of cozy sleep in a 30 degree shelter when it was -20 outside, though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CannonFodder posted:

When Hammond was reviewing the new MX5, was he driving on a 1 way road? He was in a RHD car but kept driving in the right lane.

They were in Spain.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

holocaust bloopers posted:

For him to have had a better structure, he'd have to built something seriously sturdy like a one man shelter. That would've taken him at least a day or two with the proper tools, though. I built one with pre-cut/measured logs,and a tarp subbed in for pine tree branches in roughly 6 hours. It was exhausting work. The payoff was 7 hours of cozy sleep in a 30 degree shelter when it was -20 outside, though.
Richard Hammond is not exactly Les Stroud . He is the most athletic of the trio and has already braved the arctic on dog sled, and it still comes down to him rolling like Bear Grylls. He wasn't in real danger, but the camera crew were not going to really help him. The camera crew were probably in regular tents just to keep the expensive camera equipment in good condition, but they kept Hammond out because it makes for better TV.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MrChips posted:

They were in Spain.
He said "I went to Humberside" and just assumed it was in England. That name is very British.

And if he was in Spain then why did he not have a LHD model?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CannonFodder posted:

He said "I went to Humberside" and just assumed it was in England. That name is very British.

They do have a history of lying about where they're going to drive cars. Jeremy did it a few seasons ago in a Jaguar (I think) and then lied again when people called him out on it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

pik_d posted:

They do have a history of lying about where they're going to drive cars. Jeremy did it a few seasons ago in a Jaguar (I think) and then lied again when people called him out on it.
Well as an ugly American I just took his word as fact and enjoyed the drive in the twisty hilly land of Humberside without knowing he was taking a twisty hilly run through the Talladegas and calling it Baton Rouge.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I thought for sure the first thing he'd point out not liking about the new MX-5 is that it doesn't have pop-up headlights any more.

Also what can you possibly learn about any car by drag racing it against a GT86?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

This made me curious as well. The generation 1 MX-5 he drove at the beginning of the piece was LHD. I suppose "Humberside" must have referred to the airport, unless global warming has been exceptionally kind to the north of England. I guess Mazda provides the cars the reviewers want. Here's the plate.

Did a bit of internet detectiving, it's a German 5-day temporary plate issued in Bad Homburg vor der Hhe, valid to Jan 30 2015.

Now, who can identify the location?

And who can give :spergin: a Sherlock Holmes hat and a magnifying glasss?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CannonFodder posted:

Richard Hammond is not exactly Les Stroud . He is the most athletic of the trio and has already braved the arctic on dog sled, and it still comes down to him rolling like Bear Grylls. He wasn't in real danger, but the camera crew were not going to really help him. The camera crew were probably in regular tents just to keep the expensive camera equipment in good condition, but they kept Hammond out because it makes for better TV.

He states in the episode that he slept in a tent, not in his shelter, IIRC. Early in the segment, he says that he wants somewhere to sit, so he has to build a shelter, and builds the tree lean-to, the one with the campfire right outside. Along with burning himself attempting to make pine needle tea, and building the fail-snowshoes, they all seemed like things the producers wanted him to do for the segment, not necessarily things he had to do to survive the elements. Later on, while ranting, he yells "I peed in a bottle, in my tent last night. It felt dirty."

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010

quote:

@adamsherwin10: EXCLUSIVE: BBC suspends Jeremy Clarkson over fracas with producer. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday - more at @Independent follows
https://twitter.com/adamsherwin10/status/575334420212772864

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Every British journalist I follow on twitter is reporting that Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended following a "fracas" with a producer. I'll post a link when one appears.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
^^ Couple of regular Barry Allens up here.

Jezza's been suspended by the BBC following 'a fracas with a producer'.

Given how good this series has been, I guess he'd be going out on a high, if the Beeb stick to all that final warning stuff.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose it's those ongoing Chile jokes?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Fine by me. Top gear UK could do worse than to go out on top, or to establish a "Doctor who" style tradition of replacing beloved hosts with new ones once in a while so the show lives on. Yes its unthinkable to have "Top gear" without clarkson, just as it was impossible to have "Who" without Tom Baker.

I suspect he must have done something truely bad this time like grab a lady producers rear end or throw around open racial slurs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What exactly is a fracas?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Why does suspending him have to involve not airing the episode?

^^^ It's kind of like a kerfuffle

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Why does suspending him have to involve not airing the episode?

^^^ It's kind of like a kerfuffle

Is it better or worse than a hullabaloo?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Of course it's right before the 918/ferrari the ferrari/p1 showdown.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Ola posted:

Is it better or worse than a hullabaloo?

worse than a hullabaloo and a brouhaha combined

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

neckbeard posted:

worse than a hullabaloo and a brouhaha combined

It's not worse than a SNAFU, though. We need to be clear on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Careful what you wish for!
https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/570528423958831104