Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

I liked this too, but it's weird that they went out of their way to appease the group of phone-carers that wouldn't buy one of their phones anyway.

I hope they sell a shitload of the 6 Edge. It's a nice-looking device that I'll totally recommend if we find out there's nothing hilariously wrong with it.
I agree with the caveat that if the edge were worth anything, it would be the only model they offered. As it is, it reeks of them just throwing poo poo and hoping it sticks. I understand it's hard to make a feature with hardware dependencies as they'd necessarily be the only ones offering it and it wouldn't be standard Android but still.

I definitely agree that I hope it does well. I'm glad Samsung seems to be backing away from bullshit bullet point marketing and hope it works for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thermopyle posted:

Because, presumably, the only reason you would make the argument that Samsung would follow in Sony/HTC footsteps and put the SD Card back is if Sony/HTC had some logical reason for putting the SD Card back, and since the presumed reason Sony/HTC do things is to make more money your argument is that Sony/HTC put the SD card back to make more money.

That may not be the argument you were making, I'm not sure, but it's a very reasonable reading of your argument.

No, my point was Samsung/most phone makers can't help themselves and will go back to feature creep again.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah man, let's cheer on a race to the bottom! I can't wait until the lenovo/superfish fiasco reinvents itself on phones!

I think he's more referring to having phones like the Nexus 5 or OPO being non-contract, affordable, and decent. Heck, even the new Asus phone looks pretty great and is going to be under $300. I'm not sure how the superfish issue is relevant to cheap phones though, is that like Xaomi or any of those companies coming preinstalled with malware?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FAUXTON posted:

I wonder if we'll soon be seeing phones that have an internal battery with something like 700 mAh, and a removable/replaceable battery with a more standard 2500 mAh that can be hotswapped. I'm not assuming they'd come from mainstream manufacturers since most people don't have that kind of use pattern, but the concept would probably have a niche with those who are on the road a lot. You'd have some kind of charger boot for the spare battery, if not a straight-up microUSB port to charge.

Basically it'd be an insertable version of a power brick, except the juice is instantly available rather than needing to trickle charge. Again, it'd make for a relatively bulky phone unless they figure out a way to compact all the extra connectors for both batteries down to a much smaller size than present. Build it in to some shenzhen special with a 1080p screen and bargain specs otherwise, sell it for $500 a pop, and you've probably got a phone purpose-made for watching animes while riding the bus to the call center or whatever.

UNU battery/case

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

whatever7 posted:

No, my point was Samsung/most phone makers can't help themselves and will go back to feature creep again.

Well, ok, but...

butt dickus posted:

Samsung does and they're the ones making the phones!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Basically it'd be an insertable version of a power brick, except the juice is instantly available rather than needing to trickle charge.
This sounds like the opposite of what you have proposed. You'd need to leave a giant battery pack connected to the phone permanently instead of the current system of just connecting an external one for an hour.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

I think he's more referring to having phones like the Nexus 5 or OPO being non-contract, affordable, and decent. Heck, even the new Asus phone looks pretty great and is going to be under $300. I'm not sure how the superfish issue is relevant to cheap phones though, is that like Xaomi or any of those companies coming preinstalled with malware?

lowering margins will cause the manufacturer to attempt to monetize elsewhere, inevitably leading to them selling access to your communications to the highest bidder.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

What is the least lovely/annoying Android news site? I assume there are none?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm looking at Moto Gs that are labeled as being for Cricket; does that really matter? Could I use it on T-Mobile without any problem?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

This sounds like the opposite of what you have proposed. You'd need to leave a giant battery pack connected to the phone permanently instead of the current system of just connecting an external one for an hour.

Yeah, it would be the homunculus evolutionary dead end of android phone design, brought to you by Oppo or whoever. That's what I'm getting at. Most people use their phone moderately during the day and charge it overnight, but you've got edge cases who just can't accept that sealed batteries make for higher capacity and lower costs and insist that they are sold an obese brick of a phone with a big ol' honkin' battery they can hotswap without interrupting their anime. The replaceable battery pack would be inside the phone, like a replaceable battery from the phones of yore. The difference would be that there would be another, smaller battery sealed inside to keep the phone running while the removable one got swapped out. You'd charge both in tandem, and there would be ways to charge spare swappable batteries outside of the phone. Some laptops have a similar setup, Thinkpads come to mind.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Asus launched the Zenfone 2 in Taiwan today. Theoretically this will launch next month in the US with a sub-$200 1080P/2GB RAM model that should perform much better than the current phones in that price range. It's dual-sim as well, which is not very common in the US, but would allow me to ditch carrying a work phone and a personal phone most of the time.

hooah posted:

I'm looking at Moto Gs that are labeled as being for Cricket; does that really matter? Could I use it on T-Mobile without any problem?

If it's the Moto G 4G GSM version and unlocked you should be able to. Unlock codes are available pretty cheap, but I'd have the seller unlock it so you can confirm they can get a code before you sink some money. One thing to be aware of is that the bootloader will be locked. This means you can't root and you're stuck with the Cricket software which, I believe, won't allow you to tether.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sent from my iPad posted:

What is the least lovely/annoying Android news site? I assume there are none?

Nothing really The Best but...

Android Police does decent teardowns on APKs and OSes. They were the only site to call bullshit on the Sony Nexus render. It's confirmed that Googlers DO read Android Police as they found direct references to their website as a joke during a teardown of an APK. Also the EIC constantly trollbaited the poo poo out of TK Tech News on G+ and exposed him for the liar that TK Tech is.

Droid Life is (was?) good for Motorola stuff as, before Lenovo bought them, Moto would constantly give special preference to DL for news and interviews. The former CEO even did a sort of Q&A and even posted in the comments a few times to answer questions on the 2013 Moto X.

Android Central is lovely garbage and should only be read if you want to laugh at their attempts to be cool and remain relevant. The only thing they're noteworthy for is being one of the first Android-blog sites. Other than that, they're pretty worthless as they haven't contributed anything to actual news. While AP will post a rumor and debunk it / use their personal experiences and facts to support it, AC will literally post a multipage article on "lol this is poo poo, you all know better, gently caress the other sites who believe or DARE to post. AC is the best."

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Are those back buttons? Are they cargo-culting LG now? How far does this rabbit hole go?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hooah posted:

No way to root, no tethering menu.

You are not looking at the Moto G I list on ebay are you? In that case, nothing wrong with it. Perfect low cost Android phone. POTY 2014.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hooah posted:

Public service announcement - don't buy a Xiaomi unless you plan on completely flattening it, at the least:
http://feeds.slashgear.com/~r/slashgear/~3/fDpoOKpgJ2Y/

Yeah about that

https://bluebox.com/blog/technical/popular-xiaomi-phone-could-put-data-at-risk/#_march8

quote:

Fake or Legitimate Device

Mobile attacks follow user adoption. Thus, Xiaomi’s mainstream popularity also means its devices are popular among counterfeiters. As such, our first test was to determine the authenticity of the Xiaomi Mi 4 LTE we had acquired. Determining whether our Mi 4 LTE was counterfeit was key to understanding the rest of our findings.

To determine if the device is a fake, there are a variety of hardware factors one can look at both on the surface of the device, under the battery cover, and in the components used (e.g. the CPU type). Additionally, there is an app called “Mi Identification” that can be run on the device to determine if the device is legitimate or not. Based on this testing, we determined that our Xiaomi Mi4 LTE was, in fact legitimate. This is a definite cause for concern given the number of questionable, if not downright dicey, things we discovered upon further testing.

quote:

Update: March 8, 2015
Andrew Blaich, Lead Security Analyst

After in-depth testing, Xiaomi has stated that the device is counterfeit and a very good one at that. It even defeated their verification app initially. The conclusion was arrived after sending about a dozen photographs of a variety of angles and areas of the device that were then reviewed by a team at Xiaomi. They additionally compared several of the other anomalies that Bluebox Labs noted in the original findings report. The level of detail this counterfeit went to look like and act like the real thing was rather extraordinary.

quote:

The amount of effort that had to be done to confirm the authenticity of this device goes way beyond what a normal consumer can be expected to do to be assured their purchase is genuine.
:qqsay:

quote:

If it’s this easy to modify the device in the retail chain, it could also be modified in transit, even when purchased from mi.com
:tinfoil:

So basically a security team went to China, bought a knockoff phone from... someplace, used their skillz to determine it was totally the real deal and not one of the many counterfeits knocking around, and then blamed a massive multinational corporation (the third-largest phone manufacturer in the world) for shipping some shoddy hidden malware and adware. Then they find out it's a fake and they start complaining that it was just too amazing, a retail phone that's unlocked, rooted and already has USB debugging activated didn't throw up any red flags for a team of security professionals, and the fact Android phones can be rooted is all Xiaomi's fault, and and watch out for China

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Asus launched the Zenfone 2 in Taiwan today. Theoretically this will launch next month in the US with a sub-$200 1080P/2GB RAM model that should perform much better than the current phones in that price range. It's dual-sim as well, which is not very common in the US, but would allow me to ditch carrying a work phone and a personal phone most of the time.

If it's the Moto G 4G GSM version and unlocked you should be able to. Unlock codes are available pretty cheap, but I'd have the seller unlock it so you can confirm they can get a code before you sink some money. One thing to be aware of is that the bootloader will be locked. This means you can't root and you're stuck with the Cricket software which, I believe, won't allow you to tether.

the 2GB verson is $459, 4GB version is 599 on aliexpress. what a bait and switch.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nothing really The Best but... [snip]
Thanks man.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nothing really The Best but...

Android Police does decent teardowns on APKs and OSes. They were the only site to call bullshit on the Sony Nexus render. It's confirmed that Googlers DO read Android Police as they found direct references to their website as a joke during a teardown of an APK. Also the EIC constantly trollbaited the poo poo out of TK Tech News on G+ and exposed him for the liar that TK Tech is.
Android Central is lovely garbage and should only be read if you want to laugh at their attempts to be cool and remain relevant. The only thing they're noteworthy for is being one of the first Android-blog sites. Other than that, they're pretty worthless as they haven't contributed anything to actual news. While AP will post a rumor and debunk it / use their personal experiences and facts to support it, AC will literally post a multipage article on "lol this is poo poo, you all know better, gently caress the other sites who believe or DARE to post. AC is the best."
Android Central's attitude it what drove me to replace their bookmark with Android Police's site.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

Yeah about that

I'm not reading that, but...is their only evidence that it is counterfeit that Xiaomi said so?

I mean, if they're going to spy on people then I wouldn't put it past to them to say "nope, it's not ours!".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

whatever7 posted:

No way to root, no tethering menu.

Does the fact that I forgot to specify the 2013 LTE model make a difference? I don't care about tethering really, but I might miss Titanium Backup and AdAway, although I don't know for sure yet.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not reading that, but...is their only evidence that it is counterfeit that Xiaomi said so?

I mean, if they're going to spy on people then I wouldn't put it past to them to say "nope, it's not ours!".

Their updates are pretty cagey in a 'here's why we still had a point' way, so they're not exactly laying out all the ways they were wrong, but they're apparently pretty happy to reverse themselves even though the counterfeits are that amazing. Their initial report reads exactly like they bought a blatant knockoff, it was as dodgy as you'd expect, but they decided it was clearly an official product fresh off the production line. It sounds like they had a few things pointed out to them, especially now they're saying the only way to get an official product is through official distribution channels.

I mean it's certainly possible that a business could do this, but everything about the way they've done this looks like amateurish dogwhistling. It's hardly a smoking gun Xiaomi need to defend against with 'uh... n-no!'

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why wouldn't you order from Xiaomi's website directly. It's their business model. It's like....getthing Netflix movie through disc.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Android 5.1 official http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html

T-Mobile already has rollout notes for the Nexus 4, 5, and the 7 (2013). They are saying rollout starts today.

Hopefully images come up tonight.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 9, 2015

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Android 5.1 official http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html?m=1

T-Mobile already has rollout notes for the Nexus 4, 5, and the 7 (2013). They are saying rollout starts today.

Neat. Hopefully this'll fix the N5's cache, leak issues.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

No problem.

ilkhan posted:

Android Central's attitude it what drove me to replace their bookmark with Android Police's site.

Yeah, I used to be on AC a lot back when the Nexus S was popular. Then I finally realized how lovely and stuck-up the entire staff is and switched to AP pretty quick myself.

Skeezy posted:

Android 5.1 official http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html?m=1

Speaking of AP's EIC, he's Artem who posted on there. :v: I've talked to him on G+ about stories he's posted. He's pretty cool.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Totally, thermo is right on with his assessment. I just went looking for an android podcast to listen to while working, and picked theirs, holy poo poo, terrible attitudes, loving awful geeks.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

whatever7 posted:

the 2GB verson is $459, 4GB version is 599 on aliexpress. what a bait and switch.

It's probably a reseller thing.

Quick edit: Is Android Authority any good?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skeezy posted:

Jesus, why does the official Android blog look like total rear end? Did this team not get the design memo?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

hooah posted:

Jesus, why does the official Android blog look like total rear end? Did this team not get the design memo?

He's linking to the mobile site, in case you're not on your phone right now. Not that the regular site is super sexy, but it looks better, and I was confused at first as well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Whoops, I fixed that on my original post. Here's the proper link: http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

butt dickus posted:

Are those back buttons? Are they cargo-culting LG now? How far does this rabbit hole go?

Yes, and yes. The drat thing looks pretty identical to an LG other than the capacitive buttons.

whatever7 posted:

Yes, that's definitely the best place to try to figure out MSRP.

hooah posted:

Does the fact that I forgot to specify the 2013 LTE model make a difference? I don't care about tethering really, but I might miss Titanium Backup and AdAway, although I don't know for sure yet.

I think that's what we all assumed you meant. What price are they going on eBay for. Amazon has Warehouse Deals (basically open box) models available for under $140 (look under used) for the unlocked version which is easily rootable.

I like my 14 month old Moto G well enough, but I find it hard to recommend when last-year top-end models with much better specs are going for $210 and things like the Zenfone 2 are on the horizon. That said, the 2013 Moto G is great if you want a smaller phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skeezy posted:

Android 5.1 official http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html

Image for N5 is already up: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/hammerhead-lmy47d-factory-6c1ad81e.tgz

I'm toying with the idea of flashing but I prefer to keep my bootloader locked and the sheer volume of poo poo I'd have to log in to all over again is a big turnoff for an incremental.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

5.1 Images are out for N5. I'm grabbing it now.

No image posted yet for the N7(2013). Time to update both of my Nexii.

Edit: aaand flashed.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 10, 2015

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

FAUXTON posted:

The sheer volume of poo poo I'd have to log in to all over again is a big turnoff for an incremental.

Exactly this, it takes me so long to log in to everything with 2FA, even with a password manager cutting out a lot of the tedium.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Oh boy, I just reset all passwords p.much every time.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Why do you need to carry around a phone/brick with such a huge battery? Are you usually without access to a power outlet for 2-3 days at a time?

I just don't get how someone doesn't charge their phone at night when they go to bed.

Its not a brick at all and I actually have never worried about my battery since getting it. I can stream, GPS, play games, do what the gently caress ever and only have to plug it in every few days. Its amazing. A lot of the time by the time I got home I had to charge it or plan out the rest of my night knowing my phone will die.

Its a really good feeling considering all other phones I had died within the day.

Sure its not some thin thing anymore but I really don't give a poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 10, 2015

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
I just updated my Galaxy S5 to Android 5.0 as it kept bitching at me to do. The only thing that is pissing me off is that now when a app gives me a notification I get a blinking Green LED where i never had this before or had turned off. How do I make it never happen? I tried looking it up and all I can turn off is the Blue light :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I forgot to update my saved settings for nova and tasker.
My last backup was November. :(
Took me 15 minutes to reset my tasker setting for gradually turning off my Hue lights at night.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

OTA update .zip posted yet for N5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WugLyfe posted:

OTA update .zip posted yet for N5?

no but having flashed the image like a complete nerd I can assure you it's A Good Update.