Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Fungah! posted:

this is the one fiddly rule no one at my table's ever forgotten because lmao

As has been observed before, it's loving bizarre that that rule always winds up a list of fiddly rules you have to watch out for in Dungeon Petz because it's basically the #1 rule no one ever actually forgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

As has been observed before, it's loving bizarre that that rule always winds up a list of fiddly rules you have to watch out for in Dungeon Petz because it's basically the #1 rule no one ever actually forgets.

It's on lists because people like to talk about it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's not weird they want to talk about it. It's bizarre that it's always talked about in the context of fiddly little rules make sure not to forget because Vlaada games and little fiddly easily forgotten rules.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's not weird they want to talk about it. It's bizarre that it's always talked about in the context of fiddly little rules make sure not to forget because Vlaada games and little fiddly easily forgotten rules.

It's bizarre to you that people bring up a topic they want to talk about, even though it is only partially related to the question? Have you...have you talked to people before?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I mean, it's a very fiddly rule. Nothing else that cycles out gives you stuff and IIRC it's one of the few things that doesn't have a reminder on the board. it's just once you know the rule you're never going to forget about it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So, after saying they wouldn't do deluxe bits for Orleans, DLP have announced that not only are they doing deluxe bits, they're doing an expansion for a fifth player.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

homullus posted:

It's bizarre to you that people bring up a topic they want to talk about, even though it is only partially related to the question? Have you...have you talked to people before?

I concede. You guys win this round of Hyperbolizing.

:arghfist::mad: I'll get you all next tiiiiiiiime

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Are there any games with expansion that add players that do not suck? No, I don't want to play Coup with 10 people or Dominion with 5.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like the Chaos in the Old World expansion that bumps it to 5. Scoundrels of Skullport is a big improvement on the base LoW too, but not really because of the 6th player.

Galaxy Trucker: The Big Expansion is another.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Yas posted:

Are there any games with expansion that add players that do not suck? No, I don't want to play Coup with 10 people or Dominion with 5.
The Galaxy Trucker Big Box Expansion adds a fifth player, and Chaos in the Old World's expansion also adds a fifth. The jury's still out on if the latter is as good as the core game or not.

Does BSG: Daybreak count? It allows you to play with 6 without the game sucking horribly.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Coup with 10 is terrible but Coup with 6 and faction cards (or even just 5 or 4 with faction cards) is awesome.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Age of Empires III builder. In fact the "add a sixth player" part was the only thing that didn't suck out loud.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Yas posted:

I think I've heard good things about 8 player team 7 Wonders. Some later versions of Ticket to Ride support 6 players but those aren't exactly expansions.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Doesn't Race for the Galaxy go up to 6 or 7 players with all the expansions?
*ducks*

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Poison Mushroom posted:

Does BSG: Daybreak count? It allows you to play with 6 without the game sucking horribly.

Base game BSG still lets you play with 6 with the No Sympathizer rules, which are pretty good.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The Narrator posted:

:doh: I have not remembered this so far. Fortunately most of the plays I've had have just been 2 player, but that's something I'll have to keep in mind for next time.

Just to be clear, it only goes to the person with the least VP in a four player game, as in a 2 or 3 player game there are 6 rounds and everyone goes twice.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Doesn't Race for the Galaxy go up to 6 or 7 players with all the expansions?
*ducks*

both AA and TGS add a 5th player and technically they're compatible (different colors) but I don't think there are official rules for playing with 6.

burger time fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 9, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Chaos n the Old World with five is pretty bad. Daybreak is a better example because the 6 player games are more interesting.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Pandemic On the Brink was pretty decent, and it allowed five players by cramming more events in.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Nevvy Z posted:

Not a week after that stupid internet dress argument I open my copy of Ghost Blitz 2 (this game is fun as poo poo by the way) and spend half an hour trying to figure out why there are two green items before I figure out that the bathtub is supposed to be grey.

Get some grey paint on it yourself, or find someone who paints miniatures and see if they'll coat it in grey.

It's really annoying that the bathtub is a completely different colour to the one depicted on the cards, I feel your pain.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

The Galaxy Trucker Big Box Expansion adds a fifth player, and Chaos in the Old World's expansion also adds a fifth. The jury's still out on if the latter is as good as the core game or not.

CitOW's expansion is terrible compared to the core game. That said, the fifth player race is the best part of it, so maybe it still counts?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wait, should I not get the Horned Rat expansion for Chaos in the Old World? I just assumed it would own, like the rest of the game.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So as it turns out, when you play Final Attack and use Leo, whose first rule is "Players cannot use contractions", my group will inevitably begin some sort of failure cascade halfway through the game. It's hilarious. (Each time you break an enemy rule, the enemy evolves. If the enemy can't evolve further (There's 3 evolution stages, and the contraction rule is stage 1), it throws two extra attacks at you. We had a good 6-10 extra attacks thrown at us in one stage.)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wait, should I not get the Horned Rat expansion for Chaos in the Old World? I just assumed it would own, like the rest of the game.

Consensus seems split between "it fixes everything wrong with the base game" and "it ruins everything great about the base game".

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

My experience is that people will die to defend whichever version of CitOW they played first. In reality, the best play experience would probably to use some cards from the main game and some from the expansion to custom make the spell decks for each god.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

admanb posted:

CitOW's expansion is terrible compared to the core game. That said, the fifth player race is the best part of it, so maybe it still counts?

The Rat is the worst part of the expansion, so no.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The fifth faction is bad and interacts poorly with the rest and a number of the new cards and upgrades have balance issues. Skip it.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Archenteron posted:

So as it turns out, when you play Final Attack and use Leo, whose first rule is "Players cannot use contractions", my group will inevitably begin some sort of failure cascade halfway through the game. It's hilarious. (Each time you break an enemy rule, the enemy evolves. If the enemy can't evolve further (There's 3 evolution stages, and the contraction rule is stage 1), it throws two extra attacks at you. We had a good 6-10 extra attacks thrown at us in one stage.)

Leo is the one Robeast I don't really get the theme behind.

BL's gone out of his way to explain Fornax. ("The barbecue grill lights you on fire, which makes you very impolite.") Orion is ambushing and misdirecting you, hence the confusing pointing rules. Musca is a swarming insect, making it difficult to talk over the horrible buzzing. And Libra is clearly just the Azathoth of the game, doing nothing until it can instagib you.

But I don't get what a giant robot cat has to do with contractions, or playing one handed. Is it a lolcat joke or something?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In stupid news, I broke Star Realms.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yas posted:

Are there any games with expansion that add players that do not suck?

Tzol'kin: Tribes and Prophecies and Eminent Domain: Escalation.

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients also adds players, raising the game cap from six to nine, but the adding of players is considered to be the only thing in that expansion that does suck.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients also adds players, raising the game cap from six to nine, but the adding of players is considered to be the only thing in that expansion that does suck.

In a similar vein, doesn't one of the 7 Wonders expansions add support for an 8th player?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

7W: Cities adds enough cards to have 8 per age allowing you to play the 4v4 team variant. I haven't had a chance to try it but people say it is good.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Gutter Owl posted:

BL's gone out of his way to explain Fornax. ("The barbecue grill lights you on fire, which makes you very impolite.") Orion is ambushing and misdirecting you, hence the confusing pointing rules. Musca is a swarming insect, making it difficult to talk over the horrible buzzing. And Libra is clearly just the Azathoth of the game, doing nothing until it can instagib you.

But I don't get what a giant robot cat has to do with contractions, or playing one handed. Is it a lolcat joke or something?

Supervillains are always petting a cat and I have never heard one who would use a contraction.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

7W: Cities adds enough cards to have 8 per age allowing you to play the 4v4 team variant. I haven't had a chance to try it but people say it is good.

2v2v2v2 is good, 4v4 would be kind of bonkers; though I'd be interested to hear if anyone has actually tried >2 person teams.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Istvun posted:

Supervillains are always petting a cat and I have never heard one who would use a contraction.

I'll get you next time, Gadget :colbert:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gutter Owl posted:

Leo was initially an embodiment of the internet (thus I15, and yes all the Robeast ID letters mean something). First, your communication breaks down in such a way that you have to deliberately word things slower and wider (there are multiple reasons I did this, but it's notable that the initial attempt FORCED acronyms or contractions). Then, you have to constantly provide new things or its boredom damages you. Finally, you must perform arbitrarily superior to average people while still keeping an air of mystique, thus the 1-handed play with the other behind your back. All in a lolcat package. "Leo I15: The Whimsy" was the initial codename, and I probably should have kept it.

The end product isn't as coherent as some of the others, but that's why it's a promo. At the time I figured I'd use one of the cutting room floor Robeasts full of Extra Rules instead of one of the Special Attack-based Robeasts-- it wasn't until after the campaign started that I realized there was any demand for the latter category at all.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

BGG lists the mechanics of Eminent Domain and Glory to Rome as

Card Drafting
Deck / Pool Building
Hand Management
Variable Phase Order

and

Card Drafting
Hand Management
Set Collection
Variable Phase Order

Variable Phase Order? And no mention of tableau building? What's Variable Phase Order?

quote:

Variable Phase Order implies that turns may not be played the same way as before and / or after.

Using Puerto Rico as an example, every turn is different. Depending on who starts selecting the roles and what roles they take, you may have to play the 'build' action sooner than you'd wish. In other games, you may be denied from taking certain action.

Most games with limited action and any game without a static game turn order fall under this 'mechanism'. Use of variable player turn order are not Variable Phase Order games.

Uhhhh ok that seems like a crappy broad description of this mechanic.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Played some 2v2 Tash-Kalar last night, I partnered with my wife against our newly married friends.

It only took one game for the wife to start asking her husband how he could be so confusing and useless, game owns :D

fozzy fosbourne posted:

And no mention of tableau building?

It's not in the list of mechanics on BGG, you can see them if you do an advanced search. They have "Tile Placement" and "Modular Board" as options though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Broken Loose posted:

Leo was initially an embodiment of the internet (thus I15, and yes all the Robeast ID letters mean something). First, your communication breaks down in such a way that you have to deliberately word things slower and wider (there are multiple reasons I did this, but it's notable that the initial attempt FORCED acronyms or contractions). Then, you have to constantly provide new things or its boredom damages you. Finally, you must perform arbitrarily superior to average people while still keeping an air of mystique, thus the 1-handed play with the other behind your back. All in a lolcat package. "Leo I15: The Whimsy" was the initial codename, and I probably should have kept it.

Pilots must begin every statement with the words "You do realize..."

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Broken Loose posted:

Leo I(canhascheezburger)15

Wonderful :radcat:

I really want to know what the art for Cepheus E10 - The Emperor aka Giant Robeast King Phillip is going to look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helena P Blavatsky
Oct 17, 2003

onward to victory
Has anyone here looked at Dune: The Dice Game? It's a print&play game made by the guy who did the graphic design for black box Glory to Rome, trying to boil down the theme of the old Dune game and some aspects like asymmetric player powers and alliances into a slimmer, dicier version. I'm not usually a fan of dice-based randomness, but I ended up making my first P&P game on the strength of its theme and art design, and how the rulebook promised a system for mitigating dice luck.

Got to play it recently with 6 people, we enjoyed it but I'm still concerned about the dice luck. It's basically a game about moving cubes around a map to capture strategic regions, where your options on your turn are determined by rolling seven dice. Four dice determine how many troops you can recruit and also who you can ally with. Alliances only last 1 player turn but can be continued back and forth if both players are willing, theoretically creating opportunities for backstabbing and fluid alliances though we didn't see much of that. Alliances benefit both players as being the active player's ally gets you more troops and gives you an additional opportunity to move around the map, but the active player can also sacrifice ally troops mercilessly in combat if those allied troops are left on a region that the active player goes to combat in. One die gets you spice which you use to ship recruited troops to the planet (though high spice amounts move a crippling sandstorm around the planet), or alternately a sandworm which leaves you spiceless. 1 more die allows you to assassinate troops or protect yourself from assassination or the sandworm. The final die determines the regions that you're allowed to move your troops into that turn in order to seize areas and fight. Fighting is accomplished through a simplified version of the old dune game, with wagering numbers of troops and leaders who you will definitely lose in battle to hopefully keep the troops you didn't wager in the region.

It all sounds incredibly swingy, but the way the game tries to mitigate that is by having you roll the 7 dice, choose at least one result to keep, roll the remaining dice again, keep at least one more result, roll, repeat. It's fun to play with the dice roll to try and guide it in a direction, but I'm still a little undecided on the mechanic. You can make plans about your turn and use the re-rolls to try and make those happen, but often the dice hand you a slightly different outcome than the one you expected. This slowed down the game quite a bit as each player kind of stared at the oracle of the dice trying to extract the new most optimal strategy from their results. A friend did point out it kind of matches the theme of Dune, so there is that I suppose. Also I'm a little worried that due to multiple sandworm results and also because of some poor strategy throughout, it seemed like the guy playing the Harkonnens ended up on the backfoot the whole game with little chance of making much headway. I don't know because we only played once, but I'm curious whether the dice mitigation mechanic is going to prevent people from being occasionally screwed thoroughly by the dice. In the end, the game was won in just about two hours by the two players who were most consistently loyal to each other, though a turn earlier I might have been able to convince one of them to backstab their ally and join me if I had not failed to get one die to go a certain way after 6 re-rolls. I enjoyed the game for the simplified asymmetric powers taken from the older Dune game, with the Bene Gesserit predicting a winner in order to steal victory from them and so forth, and the emergent dynamics that arose around the shifting system of alliances. But we'll have to play more to get a handle on whether randomness is still an issue.

Helena P Blavatsky fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 10, 2015