Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Rinkles posted:

Onslaught showed us that basically anything w/ morph is playable.

Fixed for the babbies too young to have learned from the correct epoch :smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

God drat it, outraced by another old fogey

Back in my day you weren't so hasty ... cuz haste wasn't a keyword grumble grumble

Rinkles posted:

Khans Time spiral Onslaught showed us that basically anything w/ morph is playable.
Well, mostly like that, anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I played Onslaught you old farts (before I learnt about limited, however)

But that was a very differently balanced (or imbalanced) set, so I don't actually know how true that was back when.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So are the new set concepts moving to 2 color decks, I think I read that the prereleases are gonna be 2 color to represent the dragons better?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Oh hey it isn't garbage. Color me surprised.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So are the new set concepts moving to 2 color decks, I think I read that the prereleases are gonna be 2 color to represent the dragons better?

Dragons is 2-color factions instead of 3-color ones, yeah. Every big set is different, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hellsau posted:

Eh, that's alright I guess. That last ability is a pretty cool flavor & mechanics hit, and I'm glad they got to put that art on a card.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If your mana can support having colorless lands in it, the ability to pull back something using up what is essentially a land draw is pretty good.

I just don't know if there's a deck right now that can handle that opportunity cost.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Holy poo poo that's actually perfectly fine.

Get back Ugin, get back Stormbreaths? Sure.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Speaking of, has anyone worked out what the point of Crucible of the Spirit Dragon is? Besides teaching people a valuable lesson about opening packs, of course.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alris posted:

Speaking of, has anyone worked out what the point of Crucible of the Spirit Dragon is? Besides teaching people a valuable lesson about opening packs, of course.

Looks neat, doesn't it? Tribal storage land, that looks neat, yep.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellsau posted:

It's garbage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Alris posted:

Casting dragons, obviously.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The initial incarnation might make a bit more sense w/ the eldrazi (and drones) coming back.

(Or in GW Devotion)

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Alris posted:

Seems fine in EDH/casual?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Alris posted:

I've argued with so many people that that card is garbage and they're all like "it's decent in dragon tribal!" No, it isn't. It's never playable. It's slow as gently caress and if you have open mana every turn to even use it turn 5 or 6 your curve sucks. If it tapped with no mana cost to add a counter, it would still be garbage, but it wouldn't be hilarious unplayable even in kitchen table garbage. Such a dumb card.

mcmagic posted:

It's garbage.

It is fringe playable if the dragons end up seeing more play in control. Bringing back a dead Ugin or one of the new Dragonlords is probably worth at least one land.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

It's garbage.

lol. This time I think you're wrong. More inevitability for your finisher in a control deck is great. The cost is pretty negligible since mana is pretty good right now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Really wish this block had tribal instants and sorceries

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Didn't the hedrons already all activate and open though? And the Eldrazi already awoke and rampaged around transforming/wrecking the world?

That trailer seems as though it should be set during Worldwake or maybe the beginning of ROE.

Commentary regarding the PAX panel from people who (unlike me) saw it seems to indicate that this is the final hedron on Zendikar opening or something.

Common theory is that Nahiri is inside, having put herself in stasis for this eventuality or some such.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Really wish this block had tribal instants and sorceries
That would actually completely defeat the point of the "dragons matter" instants.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's playable in any deck that tops out at Stormbreath Dragon, the question is whether your mana is good enough to be worth bringing it in.

If Mono-Red devotion comes back but doesn't have any RRR 3-drops then playing 1 is basically all upside. It's no Mutavault for sure, but turning late-game lands into extra gas is definitely a worthwhile thing to be doing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

It's garbage.

For all the utility lands I've played "recur a mythic rare piece of poo poo" is pretty neat.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Jabor posted:

It's playable in any deck that tops out at Stormbreath Dragon, the question is whether your mana is good enough to be worth bringing it in.

If Mono-Red devotion comes back but doesn't have any RRR 3-drops then playing 1 is basically all upside. It's no Mutavault for sure, but turning late-game lands into extra gas is definitely a worthwhile thing to be doing.

Yeah, it's basically Buried Ruin for dragons/Ugin instead of artifacts. Seems like it can slot fine into certain decks.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That would actually completely defeat the point of the "dragons matter" instants.

It would just have to say "dragon creature" instead of just dragon. Or They could say "another dragon" or those dragons matter cards could just be normal but things like the dragon enchantment could be tribal. They could easily have done it if they weren't deadset on having no tribal non-creatures again.

Jabor posted:

I definitely don't think you want to run it in a deck that expects to play a card every turn for the first 4.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Rinkles posted:

The initial incarnation might make a bit more sense w/ the eldrazi (and drones) coming back.

(Or in GW Devotion)

I think this just proves that the flavor for the Fall set is going to be Dragons vs. Eldrazi directed by Michael Bay

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jabor posted:

Yeah the deck with a bunch of RR 2 drops seems like a great home for this colourless land.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It would just have to say "dragon creature" instead of just dragon. Or They could say "another dragon" or those dragons matter cards could just be normal but things like the dragon enchantment could be tribal. They could easily have done it if they weren't deadset on having no tribal non-creatures again.
The point of dragons-matter cards is to make you draft/play dragons, not a bunch of spells that count as dragons for no reason.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Yeah nobody drafted dragons in FRF, definitely need some conditional spells to make fatties with evasion worth drafting. :rolleyes:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

And all constructed decks are just full of dragons right now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

And all constructed decks are just full of dragons right now.

You're implying these cards will change that?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you want your constructed decks to be full of dragons, print non-poo poo dragons and the rest will follow

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Yeah the deck with a bunch of RR 2 drops seems like a great home for this colourless land.

Clearly, mono-coloured decks with creatures costing CC and CCC can never play any colourless-producing lands no matter how relevant they are, says someone who I guess never played RTR-Theros.

(If you're a deck that wants 5 lands for Stormbreath Dragon, you can fit in a few colourless lands while still having enough sources of R to get two of them by turn 2.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Milling it's win conditions w/ Satyr Wayfinder seems like an actual issue w/ Sultai control. If the deck is viable after DTK, I don't know if a singleton of that land is insane.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Jabor posted:

(If you're a deck that wants 5 lands for Stormbreath Dragon, you can fit in a few colourless lands while still having enough sources of R to get two of them by turn 2.)

An opening hand with one mountain and one dragon land is going to lose you more games than recurring a late game Stormbreath is going to win you.

Rinkles posted:

Milling it's win conditions w/ Satyr Wayfinder seems like an actual issue w/ Sultai control. If the deck is viable after DTK, I don't know if a singleton of that land is insane.

I've pitched my last/only Ugin more than once. It's definitely playable in that.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's garbage.

At the very least any control deck that plays Ugins will want this as an extra copy or two that doesn't take up a spell slot, as insurance if/when Ugin gets killed
fakeedit: oops I didn't see who I was responding to.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Red Devotion already plays a colourless land though, I don't think it wants another (especially if the upside is that minor).

It's potentially decent for a control deck though if any of the dragons are playable there.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Wait, people keep talking about red devotion like it's a thing. Is it? I've never seen it mentioned before. Is there a list of good cards for it?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Decks that play Urborg and Ugin and Silumgar could probably afford a colorless land spot. You will very infrequently make Bile Blight worse if you cut a Swamp for that land I guess.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Back when mono red devotion was prominent, the decks usually ran 1 or 2 mutavaults. Mutavault this card isn't, and it may not see any play, but it's not impossible.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fiend Computer posted:

Wait, people keep talking about red devotion like it's a thing. Is it? I've never seen it mentioned before. Is there a list of good cards for it?

It existed in the past and was a solid deck. It doesn't really exist currently, but people think there's a chance that it'll come back with this set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I can't imagine mono red devotion ever coming back. You would have to value Fanatic of Mogis over every possible Green card. It just doesn't make sense to me.

• Locked thread