Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The Plague Doctor being mostly useless is based on historical fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
To be fair they accidentally invented HAZMAT suits v:shobon:v

Also the sealed suits kept the fleas from biting them, instead of the nose full of herbs to counter the "miasma" which they thought was the cause.

But yeah for the most part they just beat up people with the plague with a stick.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PubicMice posted:

...what were you guys doing in history class?

More general stuff about the time period rather than specific jobs and things. Teachers spoke about doctors, etc, but not about them in any real, specific capacity.

I might have paid attention if they talked about how doctors looked like awesome villains. :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Did the whole leech and maggot thing actually work? I assume it's just primitive bloodletting?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

HGH posted:

Did the whole leech and maggot thing actually work? I assume it's just primitive bloodletting?

You can stick maggots in festering wounds to help clean them out, since they only eat dead flesh. They still do it today, but they raise sanitary maggots specifically for cleaning wounds, instead of ones they just find around.

Dunno how effective leeches actually are. I know they got wacky saliva but I don't know what they do specifically.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Leeches are still used in modern medicine occasionally, so yes, they totally work to lower a toxic load. They also are fantastic at using on a wound that is swollen to poo poo. Maggots are not really used in modern medicine any more, but they ARE used in relief efforts where modern techniques arent always available. They work a treat for cleaning a wound of necrotic tissue.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 9, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I thought leeches were used as an anti-coagulant, not for toxins, since they have the whacky 'keep the blood flowing' saliva and apply suction.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
In medieval times the leeches were used explicitly for bloodletting, which is purely a bad idea 99.9% of the time. Modern day medical leeches are used specifically to prevent clots and not to remove or cleanse blood per se, but I don't think any medieval practitioners had figured this out yet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I thought leeches were used as an anti-coagulant, not for toxins, since they have the whacky 'keep the blood flowing' saliva and apply suction.

The anti-coagulant property in their saliva makes them very useful against hemotoxins.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HGH posted:

Maggots work for cleaning wounds and are still used today even in modern facilities, though the maggots are specially raised to be sanitary. The reason is a festering wound will contain a bunch of dead tissue full of disease that spreads to the rest of your body. Cute little maggots will eat up all that dead tissue though, far more effectively than limited surgery can remove it. Its gross but its a lot better than having a wound get bigger due to a lack of treatment. This is something I actually learned the basic idea about in my History class, oddly enough. During the US Civil War medical treatment was pretty drat awful so lots of dying soldiers were left out in the field. Those that had maggots crawl into their wounds tended to fair much better than those that didn't, since the maggots were keeping their injuries from getting even worse. As for leeches, the saliva of certain species acts as an anesthetic and also increases the bloodflow where introduced which is beneficial in certain medical practices.

Now the Plague Doctor in Darkest Dungeon probably knows none of this and is just performing whatever crazy experiments pop up in her head. She's somehow able to cure syphilis with leeches after all.

EDIT: Wow beaten hard

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This maggot/leech talk is giving me the shivers..

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

enraged_camel posted:

This maggot/leech talk is giving me the shivers..

Clearly your humors are imbalanced. A good leeching should clear that right up.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Clearly your humors are imbalanced. A good leeching should clear that right up.

33% of the time, it works every time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus christ, something's definitely changed with the AI behavior. I just had 4 spiders focus fire my level 5 Plague Doctor to death, attacking anyone else maybe twice total over 3 rounds.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Point is, the tension in death's door comes from not knowing if the next blow is going to be fatal or not. Once someone is in it you are supposed to be fearing for the life because any hit can be the end. You add some dumb bleed out mechanic and that completely changes because you know exactly when they are gonna die. Plus the game is easy enough without making death's door throw you an even bigger bone.

I really don't get tension from it because people so rarely actually die at death's door.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Anatharon posted:

I really don't get tension from it because people so rarely actually die at death's door.

So your solution is to make it even easier for them to survive it?

There's no way a bleed out mechanic wouldn't be more generous, simply because it guarantees you at least several turns during which you can get a heal off.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
The worst is when you got a dude thats bleeding, at death's door, and is insane, and refuses heals. Thats a blast when that happens :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

I still see it as more of a push your luck mechanic than anything else. If you play it safe and patch people up quickly the odd attack that gets through probably won't kill anyone, but the low odds of dying may encourage you to gamble when you're in a tight spot, which may let you soak up a bunch of attacks or may send you to the graveyard.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So your solution is to make it even easier for them to survive it?

There's no way a bleed out mechanic wouldn't be more generous, simply because it guarantees you at least several turns during which you can get a heal off.

Perhaps I got the point across wrong: The idea isn't for it to be 5 turns to bleedout every time get down to 0, it's more like your leper with unyielding gets 10 and your occultist with weak grip on life has 4 bleedout turns for the whole dungeon. It actually makes it meaningful that your guy hits death's door and I feel it's thematically appropriate too: Your party is getting weary and finding it harder to gather the energy for a second wind as they're further wounde by monsters.

Instead of "Eh he's got like a 1 in 6 chance of dying" and being 100% at the RNG's mercy, it's more like "Can I afford to let him use his energy now when I might need it later?". The RNG is still there as a result of being hit in the first place, but you've got some control. If I have basically no options other than hoping the RNG works a certain way I don't feel any tension.

It's completely possible that the devs don't want the game to be tense or anything, and that's perfectly okay, but right now I feel a distinct lack of stakes.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Anatharon posted:

Perhaps I got the point across wrong: The idea isn't for it to be 5 turns to bleedout every time get down to 0, it's more like your leper with unyielding gets 10 and your occultist with weak grip on life has 4 bleedout turns for the whole dungeon. It actually makes it meaningful that your guy hits death's door and I feel it's thematically appropriate too: Your party is getting weary and finding it harder to gather the energy for a second wind as they're further wounde by monsters.

Instead of "Eh he's got like a 1 in 6 chance of dying" and being 100% at the RNG's mercy, it's more like "Can I afford to let him use his energy now when I might need it later?". The RNG is still there as a result of being hit in the first place, but you've got some control. If I have basically no options other than hoping the RNG works a certain way I don't feel any tension.

It's completely possible that the devs don't want the game to be tense or anything, and that's perfectly okay, but right now I feel a distinct lack of stakes.

If death's door is too lenient, the obvious solution is to lower the chances of it triggering. Not introduce some terrible new mechanic that just makes things more complex while not actually making things harder. You seem to misunderstand the purpose of death's door; its 100% RNG because you hosed up and let a hero get nearly killed. Its not supposed to be in your control at that point, that's what makes it scary. If you have any kind of significant control over it, all that tension goes away.

I don't know what your experience has been but every guy I lost either died right away or survived like one or two death's door hits. I feel plenty of tension when people get knocked into it, though I have no idea what the actual chance of dieing under it is.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The bleed out mechanic exists in the game currently in the form of 'if you are bleeding on deaths door you are going to die really soon'

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

If death's door is too lenient, the obvious solution is to lower the chances of it triggering. Not introduce some terrible new mechanic that just makes things more complex while not actually making things harder. You seem to misunderstand the purpose of death's door; its 100% RNG because you hosed up and let a hero get nearly killed. Its not supposed to be in your control at that point, that's what makes it scary. If you have any kind of significant control over it, all that tension goes away.

I don't know what your experience has been but every guy I lost either died right away or survived like one or two death's door hits. I feel plenty of tension when people get knocked into it, though I have no idea what the actual chance of dieing under it is.

To each their own I guess. Other then a pack of level 0-1s I sent into a level 3 dungeon I haven't had anyone die, so something to make the game hard would be nice. I mean if not knowing things is tense, might as well remove the HP mechanic altogether or at least make it invisible.

I don't really see how it's complex, though. #Stat goes down every turn at 0 HP. Getting hit reduces it by an extra 1. At 0-0 you're dead.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Because then its just additional HP. As for losing a character cause you got focus fired down from full health, losing characters can be frustrating but that's xcom. Think of it like the horror movie where the monster just swoops in and takes the strongest. It should always be possible for things to go south, characters are expendable after all.

I'm up to Resolve level 4 and it feels a bit easy right now. Yeah I lose a character here and there but its nbd.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I feel lucky if my guy survives one attack at Death's Door. They almost never resist the urge to meet their maker when given the chance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Anatharon posted:

I'm with you on this one, I think turns-to-death like final fantasy tactics would actually work pretty well in this game.

You could have mechanics like poison ticks away an extra turn or something, but you'd have to balance it so that you can only have a couple things use up your turns per round of combat, so you get a chance at least to heal that person, but so you know that the tension is on and if you stall you won't get to keep that hero.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Update: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/an-update-from-redhook/

quote:

CONTENT:

So what’s coming? A lot. Here are just some of the highlights:

MISC:
Hero color variants
Town Events
KS Backer-designed Trinkets, Monsters, etc

PLAYABLE CLASSES:
Man at Arms
Arbalest
Houndmaster
Merchant
Lord Tier, KS backer-designed class (available to all players – see KS page)

ADDITIONAL BOSSES:
Weald Boss: The Brigand Barricade
Ruins Boss: The Gibbering Prophet
Warrens Boss: The Formless Flesh

THE COVE:
Full set of themed Monsters
New Curios (Interactive Objects)
Cove Boss 1
Cove Boss 2

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
YES! COlors!!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

ADDITIONAL BOSSES:
Weald Boss: The Brigand Barricade

And in the end, the most dangerous enemy of all is still fellow humans.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Awwww yeah, was getting boring just trying to level up a Jester and Grave Robber to level 6.

Edit: Dammit read that as an update they already launched. Ignore me.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 10, 2015

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Jeeze its only been out a month?

Really looking forward to more content, this game is really fantastic

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
They say that the Darkest Dungeon won't show up until the 1.0 release. They did clarify that it's not a 'characters will never return' thing, but rather a 'characters cannot retreat' thing, which I think is reasonable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

So loving jazzed for this :dance:

FreeKillB posted:

They say that the Darkest Dungeon won't show up until the 1.0 release. They did clarify that it's not a 'characters will never return' thing, but rather a 'characters cannot retreat' thing, which I think is reasonable.

Yeah that makes waaaaay more sense.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So I'm starting to get a LOT more accessories now and I'm seeing stuff that says "(Rank #): Effect". Does that mean character level or formation spot?

Edit: vv Thanks a bunch

Highwang fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 10, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Formation spot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that makes waaaaay more sense.
Honestly I keep forgetting that the retreat button is there so it'll probably be business as usual for me. :v:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Coolguye posted:

Honestly I keep forgetting that the retreat button is there so it'll probably be business as usual for me. :v:

I tend to only attempt a retreat when it's far too late, or push them just one more room and lose it all.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm so loving psyched about the inclusion of 3 new bosses for the existing dungeons. Terrified, sure, but mainly just psyched. The only thing that kind of chaps my rear end is that I have like 12 characters at level 6 and a bunch at level 4-5, so doubling back through low-level alternate bosses might end up being a bit of a pain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because of the unfortunate demise of my rank 5 Plague Doctor right before he hit rank 6, I've become a bit unhinged.

First mission, they barely made it out alive. Second mission, only one available is a Necromancer. Sure, why not?

4 Plague Doctors spamming blight/Incision/stun grenade(when he makes it to row 3/4) works wonders on that sucker, turns out. Slap some speed/dodge trinkets on each of them and blammo.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Because of the unfortunate demise of my rank 5 Plague Doctor right before he hit rank 6, I've become a bit unhinged.

Darkest Dungeon Meta!

Next you need to cut yourself and refuse medical treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I hope the palette swaps you choose have a good variety so you can make a multi-coloured Plague Doctor rainbow in the future.