Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rogue is like the most fun AC released next to Brotherhood but it's still AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, literally the only reason I'm not immediately putting money down on Rogue (I even rented the PS3 version from Gamefly just to make sure it's good) is because my PC's not quite all the way up to spec, and the second I order it, I'm worried they're gonna announce a PS4 port.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Me too! Doesn't it come out midnight tonight?

10AM PST

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Here's a video of Rogue's gameplay with some of its new features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBVMUAbdE8I

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:peanut:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Out or preload?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

Out or preload?

Afaik, uplay doesn't have preloading.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It does.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

It does.

Welp, I just activated the key nuuvem gave me so we'll find out in 20 mins.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I haven't gotten my nuuvem key yet. :smith:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

I haven't gotten my nuuvem key yet. :smith:

Well, the good news is that it's not a preload and is in fact playable right now. :buddy:

Get loving hyped.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 9, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Rogue also lets you walk around in this outfit, so it's the best game in the franchise.

John Marston's a playable character now?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Orv posted:

10AM PST

Deakul posted:

Well, the good news is that it's not a preload and is in fact playable right now. :buddy:

Get loving hyped.

Man gently caress you I don't have my nuuvem key either :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
10AM PST on Steam, to be clear. :smith:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Apparently nuuvem unlocks items on UK time, for whatever reason, so I'll check back in with y'all in 6 hours.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I would kill several men for an AC in a Parisian belle époque setting, like those bits from Unity. But good like Black Flag.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I would kill several men for an AC in a Parisian belle époque setting, like those bits from Unity. But good like Black Flag.

So instead of a pirate ship you've got a pirate air balloon?

That sounds like some sort of Assassin's Creed Bioshock Infinite lovechild.

(I'd buy it.)

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

macnbc posted:

So instead of a pirate ship you've got a pirate air balloon?

That sounds like some sort of Assassin's Creed Bioshock Infinite lovechild.

(I'd buy it.)

YES. YES EXACTLY THIS.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

God DAMMIT, I had almost gone a day without wanting a Skies of Arcadia sequel.

Also Skies of Arcadia is literally Pirates with Airships, and it is The Best.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
It looks like certain naval ships will attempt to board your ship in Rogue. I like this new direction of the enemy being capable of doing the same things you can.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Brutakas posted:

It looks like certain naval ships will attempt to board your ship in Rogue. I like this new direction of the enemy being capable of doing the same things you can.

Yeah, enemy ships can board you. They can also leave trails of flaming oil to stop you pursuing them. You can do the same. Also your ship guns require you to actually aim, instead of just holding down a button and autofiring at their weak spots.

Also you face Assassin enemies, who will hide in haystacks and try to ambush you. You can also intercept Assassination contracts and in a twist on the usual formula, attempt to protect a Templar target who is about to be killed.

It's Black Flag, but better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah I finally finished black flag yesterday and absolutely loved it. The story and gameplay were both fantastic and worked together well, and I actually cared about the characters involved.

On one hand I did, but on the other, it felt like it spent a lot of time fuckin' around and doing its best to avoid getting down to business... which I guess is actually kinda representative of Edward Kenway as a character. One thing I didn't like was that he just didn't really give a gently caress when I, as the player, wanted him to quite a bit. Becoming an Assassin seemed more like a FINE, MA, GOD drat event rather than legit maturation. Shame, really, because he was very likeable otherwise.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

On one hand I did, but on the other, it felt like it spent a lot of time fuckin' around and doing its best to avoid getting down to business... which I guess is actually kinda representative of Edward Kenway as a character. One thing I didn't like was that he just didn't really give a gently caress when I, as the player, wanted him to quite a bit. Becoming an Assassin seemed more like a FINE, MA, GOD drat event rather than legit maturation. Shame, really, because he was very likeable otherwise.

Honestly I was cool with that. I didn't want him to be an assassin at the end of it. I'd have rather he worked with them, eventually growing to have sympathy for their cause (as he did) but not working with them explicitly because he hadn't adopted their Creed for his own yet. Which is basically exactly what happened, so I was fine with that.

But yeah it could have been condensed a little bit and been fine for it for sure.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Finally, an AC game that lets you get an NPC's cool rear end outfit.

Too bad you only get two pistols this time, though. And god dammit I want to use a small axe with my knife, that was the only thing I liked about AC3 :(

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rogue seems to run approximately 100.5% better than Black Flag ever did on maxed settings for me, holy crap.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Installing now! Can't wait :dance:

Also PM me if you want Assassin's Creed Liberation. I already have it and have a uplay key from Uplay.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I just finished 100%ing Rogue last night, haha. The last legendary ship battle was sooo difficult until I switched up my strat and knocked it out on the first try, finishing it with a full health bar and change. You don't even need to do all the fleet missions to get the full sync so I felt like an idiot for even getting started on that smh

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Deakul posted:

Rogue seems to run approximately 100.5% better than Black Flag ever did on maxed settings for me, holy crap.

Yeah it's just insanely well optimized. I got a lot of stuttering with volumetric fog in Black Flag but this doesn't drop at all.

Wandering the River Valley area in the frontiersman outfit makes me want a PC release of Red Dead Redemption so much :(

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Templar Enforcer outfit is also dope but takes way too long to unlock

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I assume that any modern day sections of Rogue don't feature Desmond, right?

Given his reaction to the twist early in AC3 and all of his bullshit I had to put up with for five games I would have rather enjoyed forcing him to relive his life as a Templar this time around.

(I like the modern day stuff and the Subject 16 puzzles, I just thought Desmond was a mug).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I assume that any modern day sections of Rogue don't feature Desmond, right?

Given his reaction to the twist early in AC3 and all of his bullshit I had to put up with for five games I would have rather enjoyed forcing him to relive his life as a Templar this time around.

(I like the modern day stuff and the Subject 16 puzzles, I just thought Desmond was a mug).

Desmond is dead so nope.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You know, I know that by liking AC so much and buying all of them (except quite possibly Victory at this rate) I am enabling a terrible thing to be foisted upon consumers and gaming in general, but then I boot up a new one and the lady starts rehearsing for a lovely horror movie in my ear and it's all okay.

Except Unity. Man, gently caress Unity.

E: Also the soundtrack for Rogue might be even better than Black Sails but that's probably my love for gaelic folk stuff talking.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 10, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

^^^ yessss the tavern songs are a DELIGHT

The modern-day sections of Rogue are a lot like the modern-day sections of Black Flag, except some rooms are blocked off, it's winter in Montreal, and you have different real-world companions (well, and Melanie Lemay is back). Most of the rewards for hacking computers are audio files but they tell a couple interesting stories about the modern-day Assassins, including this buff gay Assassin couple--one guy is an MMA fighter and the other was a high school football player. I love tthem. I love them

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

^^^ yessss the tavern songs are a DELIGHT

(well, and Melanie Lemay is back).

I like Melanie. She's so spunky and not-evil. She just wants to make cool vidya games. :3:

EDIT: Well...she might be evil now based off of the Helix docs from Unity. I hope not. :ohdear:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Also can we talk about how they should stop trying to "improve" the AC stealth when Black Flag got it exactly right? Good LoS for hostiles so they're not blind when you're more than ten feet away, but if you're fast and smart you can run around in the middle of a bunch of dudes all day playing Batman as long as no-one sees you. It's great.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Orv posted:

Also can we talk about how they should stop trying to "improve" the AC stealth when Black Flag got it exactly right? Good LoS for hostiles so they're not blind when you're more than ten feet away, but if you're fast and smart you can run around in the middle of a bunch of dudes all day playing Batman as long as no-one sees you. It's great.

I actually think the plan-on-paper for Unity was great. The system just didn't work worth a drat. Stealth should be the easier and more preferable path in an AC game to just running in and killing everyone. Combat was way too easy in earlier games from counter kills. Unity made it marginally more difficult but I could still mow down an entire fort's worth of soldiers if I had a half dozen smoke bombs on me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pork Pie Hat posted:

The British Raj is an obvious setting. Lots of historical events happening and a crazy vibrant and diverse setting, but with enough blank canvas to tell whatever stories the writers want.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Pork Pie Hat posted:

He gets killed at the end of AC3 so all games after it don't feature him.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

"Oooh lookit me I'm James Cook, hotshot explorer loving about the arctic without cold weather gear. I see you eyeballing my mittens. Enjoy your frostbite, bonehead. :jerkbag:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Orv posted:

The only problem with Black Flag stealth is that you were totally silent while sprinting and holding the attack button made you instantly double-impale anyone nearby so you were basically the ghost-face from Scream running around corners and popping in and out of cornfields killing dozens of guards without ever aggroing them-

I take it back the stealth was awesome

• Locked thread