Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Seams posted:

Even if England find a couple of exciting aggressive batsman in the near future they still have the problem of not having any strike bowlers.

Morgan was an exciting batsman then he got englanded and now he goes for a duck every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
He's got so many ducks old people throw bread at him

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Byolante posted:

Morgan was an exciting batsman then he got englanded and now he goes for a duck every game.

I reckon the burden of captaincy got to him. If he had the whole Sri Lanka tour as captain he might've had a better WC, but they stuck with Cook for too long.

As much as we make fun of it, maybe the England players actually do just need to play their natural game. Make Root captain, free Morgan and Buttler and Ali to play much more aggressively, find a fast bowler or two who can actually bowl fast and England will be at least as good as Pakistan.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Seams posted:

I reckon the burden of captaincy got to him. If he had the whole Sri Lanka tour as captain he might've had a better WC, but they stuck with Cook for too long.

Morgan was playing like poo poo under Cook's captaincy.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Seams posted:

As much as we make fun of it, maybe the England players actually do just need to play their natural game. Make Root captain, free Morgan and Buttler and Ali to play much more aggressively, find a fast bowler or two who can actually bowl fast and England will be at least as good as Pakistan.

Michael Slater confirmed as next English coach

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Seams posted:

His average has dropped by 10 every year since 2010. English Syndrome isn't caused by being the captain.

edit: England will not have a good fast bowler until they stop producing garbage green tops and send anyone with natural talent to be ruined by flower's reeducation camp.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
England should stop choosing captains based on their name being the same as famous historical sea captains.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
England could always try picking players who are English

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Byolante posted:

His average has dropped by 10 every year since 2010. English Syndrome isn't caused by being the captain.

edit: England will not have a good fast bowler until they stop producing garbage green tops and send anyone with natural talent to be ruined by flower's reeducation camp.

I just had a glance at his ODI innings and there hasn't really been any period where he has been consistently good. Oh well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, the only people who play cricket in England are public schoolboys, and no real public schoolboy would accept the pitiful wages of a contracted player.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

How much do they get paid?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
About 3/4 of a million? Something like that. They don't even get 100% bonuses.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
What England needs is to have current players go to school fetes and allow themselves to be cleanbowled by 6 year olds. Booney did it at my school fete and I played junior cricket for a few seasons, long enough for my parents to realise I was well poo poo and get me to try something else. Also they need to stop being classist shites. Baby steps

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Seams posted:

The issue is any bowler that showed the smidgen of potential has been gobbled up by loughborough and had 13 people all desperate to prove they should be employed tinker with their actions until they're all military medium dobblers.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
:effort:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Playing a five test series against Bangladesh every other year would probably be more beneficial right now.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I didn't realise Hossain had been in Jail

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...=ALhdy28zsr6qiq

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
there's a joke to be made there but I'm not going to do it

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

IceAgeComing posted:

there's a joke to be made there but I'm not going to do it

i guess we'll have to wait and see whether Stuart Broad presses charges

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I completely forgot there was cricket on today, I hope Scotland win

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Apologies for the meme but this is pretty funny

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Scylo posted:

I completely forgot there was cricket on today, I hope Scotland win

I hope Sangakkara scores one day crickets first triple century.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

webmeister posted:

I don't think any of these are accurate tbh

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Still B.A.E posted:

Amla, Williamson, Emirates?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Still B.A.E posted:

Ya.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

webmeister posted:

lol

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It's weird to think that England still have a game to play.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

It's weird to think that England still have a game to play.

What's the bet they'll actually play well the one time they don't need to?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

What's the bet they'll actually play well the one time they don't need to?

Ah, the old Shane Watson trick

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Both captains were absolutely baffled by Mark Nicholas telling them to "Go Well!".

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Ricky Ponting has a golf handicap of zero, or scratch. It's not funny, nor surprising; It's just a little bit cool.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?
Can someone explain to me the d/l method. Trying to read about that makes me feel like i'm in statistics class.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
loving lol at Peter Moores "going back to look at the data", my god what a dipshit. Someone with patience/skill put together a sequence of him "looking at the data" on his ipad then revealing dickbutt on the ipad screen tia.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 11, 2015

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I saw that quote in about 4 or 5 different places before I realised it was real and not a joke.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Smorgasbord posted:

loving lol at peter Moores "going back to look at the data", my god what a dipshit. Someone with patience/skill put together a sequence of him "looking at the data" on his ipad then revealing dickbutt on the ipad screen tia.

quote:

Michael Vaughan‏@MichaelVaughan
My Hawkeye Data tells me i can only manage to chase down 4 pints in the next 45 mins......

Michael Vaughan @MichaelVaughan · Mar 9
Jet lag.........Data tells me it should only last a couple of days......

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Magugu posted:

Can someone explain to me the d/l method. Trying to read about that makes me feel like i'm in statistics class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kypzjdizamo

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Noxin of Shame posted:

Ricky Ponting has a golf handicap of zero, or scratch. It's not funny, nor surprising; It's just a little bit cool.

Noice. Pretty sure they play more golf than cricket while on tour. Like the Wallabies.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Glad i'm not the only one who is like, "WTF is this poo poo."

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
You don't need to understand the D/L system you just need absolute faith that it works. It's like Latin Mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Magugu posted:

It's all about 'resources' remaining.

There are two types of resources a team can have - 1. wickets remaining, 2. overs remaining. As the game goes on you lose these resources as percentages. The actual percentages lost for each wicket down or over bowled follow a formula or table, but forget about that, calculators take care of it. All you need to know is that at any point in the game you have x% of resources available.

If you are 3 wickets down with 44 overs left, you are deemed to have 72% of resources remaining.

If rain stops at that point and you lose nine overs of play, you come back still 3 wickets down but with 35 overs left. This is calculated as having 66% of resources remaining.

Since you had 72% of resources remaining when you went off the field, and 66% of resources remaining when you returned, they take the difference (6%) from the other team's total target. That's your revised target.

There's lots of "if this then that and do that but if this happens take this into account", but that's roughly it.