Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ross posted:

Dany flying to Westeros

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Selyse rising out of the snow looking distraught....I think we know what that means

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mike N Eich posted:

Selyse rising out of the snow looking distraught....I think we know what that means

Since when has Selyse cared about Shireen? I figured she'd be the one offering her up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ross posted:

Or maybe it won't be renewed for S6 and Episode 510 will just be Dany flying to Westeros and burning everything to the ground for an hour.

The last scene will just be a block of text that starts with "Meanwhile, back at the Wall..."

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Ballz posted:

Since when has Selyse cared about Shireen? I figured she'd be the one offering her up.

She didn't seem particularly pumped about it when Melisandre was hinting at it last season.

What else could it be though? What would make Selyse look that way? Jon getting stabbed?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mike N Eich posted:

If Littlefinger has confidence in Sansa's abilities this makes a lot of sense. Have her reveal herself to all the Lords in the North at Ramsay's wedding and completely pull the rug under the Bolton's claim. If she isn't recognized on sight though, what can she use to prove her parentage? She doesn't have a direwolf anymore. (Oh poo poo, maybe that's Theon's role, he's the only one that could recognize and verify her)

Another possibility is that she goes there with this plan, but the plan goes awry and she has to get out of Dodge, and Theon helps her.

Having something go according to the hero's plan wouldn't be very Game of Thrones-y, I think.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 10, 2015

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My only problem with Sansa replacing Wyman is then a Stark is avenging the Starks. It was nice to have "The North remembers" be a sign that the Frey's and Bolton's had more enemies than it seemed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

But for the purposes of the show, it's better to have an existing character do something important than a brand new character.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Brienne in the Snow intrigues me, and this trailer was a lot better compared to the previous one.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Lycus posted:

But for the purposes of the show, it's better to have an existing character do something important than a brand new character.

True, but a non-Stark character would have been ideal in my eyes. The Blackfish just occurred to me as an amazing possibility, but maybe that's just because I miss him so.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Was Blackfish ever on the show? I can't remember.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Ross posted:

The laws of my fist will compel your teeth to rewatch season 3!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ross posted:

Season 3, Riverrun scenes. Left to piss during Red Wedding.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Longest known piss in Westerosi history.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The Theon chapters were among the very best of ADWD, so the source material is excellent.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, I've been very worried about this season given the major departures they are doing from the books, but that latest trailer just looked absolutely phenomenal. I'm down for whatever they give to us this season.

And honestly, books 4 and 5 were bloated. Martin's editors aren't telling him no anymore. If the producers know the end game and think they can trim where they think they can, fine by me. The show has been fantastic since the beginning, I don't think that is going to stop all of a sudden.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Nihonniboku posted:

And honestly, books 4 and 5 were bloated. Martin's editors aren't telling him no anymore.

To be fair, they do tell him no. GRRM just doesn't listen.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I can't see a point to Sansa being in Winterfell, unless she's fake arya, but that would be kind of dumb too, because the whole idea from the books is to keep her safe until Robin/Robert can be killed so she can marry Harry the Heir giving Littlefinger control of the Vale, the North and arguably the Riverlands in one go.

I can't see how they're going to shoehorn her being at Winterfell. Baelish has no reason to align with Stannis, at all. The scene with Tommen and Meryn with the sparrows circling them looks kind of cool though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Harry the Heir might not exist in the show, so they're probably gonna have to do something different in any event.

This may not be about aligning with Stannis at all, but getting control of Winterfell before he does. Put a friendly force inside Winterfell, backstab the Boltons, then have the Northern lords recognize Sansa.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 10, 2015

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I would put money on Harry the Heir not appearing in the show at all - it's exactly the sort of convoluted politicking that they've avoided for five years now.

I don't think he'll amount to anything in the books either, purely because a) it's Littlefinger, even when he's telling the truth he's lying, and b) I don't think anyone has ever successfully pulled off a plan after explaining it to the reader/another character.

That aside, the trailer looks fricken awesome :stare:

I got into the books via the show, so I think I'm probably more open to changes than a lot of people :v:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

webmeister posted:

I got into the books via the show, so I think I'm probably more open to changes than a lot of people :v:

I don't know, I'm in the same situation as you, but from the looks of the Book Barn thread, a lot of people who read the books before have been hating on Feast and Dance for years.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lycus posted:

I don't know, I'm in the same situation as you, but from the looks of the Book Barn thread, a lot of people who read the books before have been hating on Feast and Dance for years.

I don't really get why that thread exists to be honest; it's been nearly 4 years since Dance so I don't know why there's so much to discuss. At least with this thread there's stuff to discuss in the "off-season" like casting news, shooting rumours etc.

I actually think the wait sends people crazy, especially if you post regularly in a thread that constantly reinforces how long it's been since you had a new book to read. Although I'd probably be pissed off if I had to wait 10 years between Tyrion chapters :v:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

webmeister posted:

I don't really get why that thread exists to be honest; it's been nearly 4 years since Dance so I don't know why there's so much to discuss. At least with this thread there's stuff to discuss in the "off-season" like casting news, shooting rumours etc.

I actually think the wait sends people crazy, especially if you post regularly in a thread that constantly reinforces how long it's been since you had a new book to read. Although I'd probably be pissed off if I had to wait 10 years between Tyrion chapters :v:

Wasn't it actually 11 years? 2000-2011?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

webmeister posted:

The Bad Thread is an ouroboros. It is a self-perpetuating, self-consuming cyclical beast. It is its own reason for being.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

webmeister posted:

I also think a lot of it is that most people just post in a thread for a bit when a book comes out and then go away, and only the crazy ones remain (and then proceed to rark themselves up for a decade or so).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Frame-by-frame analysis of the trailer, nothing particularly earth-shattering though:

http://imgur.com/a/dMJhX

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lycus posted:

Sansa absorbing Wyman seems like it would be a decent enough consolidation to me. Maybe she'll bring pie.

Not Sansa.

It seems likely that Clive Mantle (The Greatjon) will be returning since he presumably has Rickon. Someone found a tweet from October that had a make-up artist saying she was pleased to be working with 'Clive Mantle for GOT' which was later taken down. Also the showrunners clarified last year that the Greatjon was still alive and didn't attend the Red Wedding.

We can only hope that the Greatjon was so distraught by the death of his king that he gained 400 pounds in fat.

On the other hand, a source claimed that Manderly banners will appear in the series and they put the effort in to place a Manderly at the RW so maybe they'll put Charles Dance in a fat-suit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I heard that was a misunderstanding.

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Mantle's makeup was for some Jack the Ripper show on BBC or something, apparently.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

rydiafan posted:

My only problem with Sansa replacing Wyman is then a Stark is avenging the Starks. It was nice to have "The North remembers" be a sign that the Frey's and Bolton's had more enemies than it seemed.

For me it's this and that I can't really see how Sansa knows anything about the North's memory. She dicked around in the South and hasn't had contact to the North in any meaningful way since her dad died.

That said, I could see it working if she precedes "The North Remembers" with something like "I am the North".

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

nine-gear crow posted:

The Bad Thread is an ouroboros. It is a self-perpetuating, self-consuming cyclical beast. It is its own reason for being.
No, the reason it still exists is that the absolute fucker won't write the books.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

For me it's this and that I can't really see how Sansa knows anything about the North's memory. She dicked around in the South and hasn't had contact to the North in any meaningful way since her dad died.

That said, I could see it working if she precedes "The North Remembers" with something like "I am the North".

I love this, and is now my hope for where Book Sansa goes. Adds a nice contrast to Cats journey to the north if the most Southron Stark ends up as the most stone-cold First Man.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

No, the reason it still exists is that the absolute fucker won't write the books.

I was trying to be poetic, but yes, that too.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

webmeister posted:

Frame-by-frame analysis of the trailer, nothing particularly earth-shattering though:

http://imgur.com/a/dMJhX

One of these shows Loras charging Olyvar (Roz's replacement) while the High Sparrow, looks on. My guess is Olyvar replaces the Kettleblacks.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

One of these shows Loras charging Olyvar (Roz's replacement) while the High Sparrow, looks on. My guess is Olyvar replaces the Kettleblacks.

Cersei and Tommen are in that shot as well, so I guess it's her trial

edit; is that Davos speaking at 0:40 saying "Stannis Baratheon has an army at Castle Black, he intends to take the North"?

webmeister fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 10, 2015

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

No I'm pretty sure it's Roose Bolton.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I'd like to ask the thread who they think the most self-delusional character is. I just thought of Aeron Damp Hair Greyjoy and realized how much I enjoyed his chapters, mainly because he is hot in pursuit of Cersei's throne as the character with the most hilariously flawed self-perception. I think right in his first chapter he is summoned to some lord's hall and can't stop thinking about how that soft greenlander is cowed by his righteous power, when in reality he is just throwing tantrums and the other guy is clearly uncomfortable and wants to get rid of this nut asap.

Is there anyone else (besides Cersei) whose self-image is so clearly contradicted by the way people around them act?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd like to ask the thread who they think the most self-delusional character is. I just thought of Aeron Damp Hair Greyjoy and realized how much I enjoyed his chapters, mainly because he is hot in pursuit of Cersei's throne as the character with the most hilariously flawed self-perception. I think right in his first chapter he is summoned to some lord's hall and can't stop thinking about how that soft greenlander is cowed by his righteous power, when in reality he is just throwing tantrums and the other guy is clearly uncomfortable and wants to get rid of this nut asap.

Is there anyone else (besides Cersei) whose self-image is so clearly contradicted by the way people around them act?

Is that only 'as of where the books are up to now'? Because if not, early-ACOK Theon.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

lifts cats over head posted:

No I'm pretty sure it's Roose Bolton.

It absolutely is. You can tell from the cadence. Roose is more measured and soft-spoken than Davos, who is blunt and often clipped.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sure, anywhere in the books counts. Good call too, Theon's chapter in Winterfell read like someone made Macbeth into a dark comedy where Macbeth is secretly a doofus.

• Locked thread