Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so I'm on board with 62.5deg eggs. how long are these things technically safe to keep around in the fridge? I tossed some that were three weeks old today, but wasn't sure if I was being silly or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Recommendations for boiled eggs seem to say a max of 7 days (not unlike most unpreserved food). I would assume cooking sous vide is going to have a similar effect on the shell (washing away the coating and making it porous) and a similar shelf life in the fridge.

That said, I'm sure someone will chime in and say they eat month-old eggs all the time.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

That said, I'm sure someone will chime in and say they eat month-old eggs all the time.

Older eggs are easier to peel.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Psy890 posted:

Older eggs are easier to peel.

True, but I think Choadmaster was referring to eggs that have already been cooked, and their shelf life after refrigeration. However difficult an egg is going to be to peel is set in stone after they've been cooked and chilled no matter their age pre-cook. This is also a black art that has no answers.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

So, my searing pan is a bit bowed in the middle, causing my oil to run the the edges and resulting in me using more oil than should really be necessary to get a nice crust and lots of bonus smoke.

Is there any reason I couldn't just rub a little oil on my pat dried steaks and throw them directly into a hot dry pan?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You could, but having hot oil in the pan is better because the oil will already be hot. Oil on the steak takes a little time to go from room temp to searing temps, and when you're searing steak faster is better.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
A little 8" cast iron pan might be perfect to use for searing, and should be really hard to bend: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L5SK3-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Skillet/dp/B00008GKDG

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is there any reason I wouldn't want to take meat directly out of freezer and vacuum seal it and throw it in my sous vide? Should I let it defrost first? I realize for an hour cook why this would be bad but this would be for a 24 hour cook at a very high temp.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
There is no reason to be concerned for something that long. A reasonable estimate for thawing something in 140ish circulating water that is the thickness of a chicken breast is ~45 minutes. I usually add that right to the front of the "safe zone cook time".

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
There's $25 off the Anova Precision until the end of march with the code SPRING25 - http://anovaculinary.com/products/a..._eid=da8fdbc1e4

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

Dane posted:

There's $25 off the Anova Precision until the end of march with the code SPRING25 - http://anovaculinary.com/products/a..._eid=da8fdbc1e4

This can also be used on the Anova One.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is there a gold standard for good sous vide containers. I am using some lovely storage container and everything about it pisses me off. I am using an Anova One for reference so I have 12 liters or less to work with.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mostly Cambros, they're sturdy polycarbonate.

If you're worried about BPA in your plastics, you can get this Rubbermaid version which says it's BPA free
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Co...bbermaid+carb-x

Any old metal pot will do too.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I use an ice chest to try to save a bit on electricity. Not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better about it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Mostly Cambros, they're sturdy polycarbonate.

If you're worried about BPA in your plastics, you can get this Rubbermaid version which says it's BPA free
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Co...bbermaid+carb-x

Any old metal pot will do too.

Thanks I grabbed the one you linked in the 12 quart (as that should be about 12 liters) and grabbed a lid so I can make a cut out for my circulator for extra hot cooks.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I have a food safety question:

I'll be making Kenji's 36 hour porchetta and plan on serving it cold on Saturday. My plan is to prep and vacuum it tomorrow (Tuesday) evening, then fridge it until Wednesday morning, starting the cook there. That means that it will be done Thursday around 8 PM. I'll ice it down, then Friday afternoonish, I'll crisp up the skin somehow, cool it down again and slice and serve Saturday afternoon. Does this sound completely retarded? I can't postpone the deep fry until Saturday because of the venue we'll be at (and because I don't trust the help we have there to not gently caress it up).

My concern is mainly with the repeated heat/cool processes and the raw garlic inside the roll-up. I've already decided not to use my usual broad leaf parsley in the roll up just for safety's sake. Should I use powdered garlic for safety? Should I do the crisping immediately after S-V instead?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
There's nothing wrong with your plan, and nothing preventing you from using fresh garlic or parsley. SV'ing anything at 155F for 36 hours more or less guarantees no bacterial contamination, and as long as you cool it properly, there shouldn't be any issues.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fresh garlic gets a metallic taste after a long sv though

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Thanks CDC & FGR, I tend to land solidly on the cautious side of the fence when cooking for people outside the immediate family (my dad used to say 'you can do what you want provided you're the one who wipes up the vomit' - he refused to serve mussels at parties).

After the sous vide it'll be cooled down completely (and rapidly). I'll be crisping it up with the porchetta at fridge temp, so cooling it back down after the fry shouldn't be a problem.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Fresh garlic gets a metallic taste after a long sv though

Yet the recipe calls for it, and there are several sous vide recipes (garlic "jam", black garlic) that call for it. Matter of fact, I used Kenji's recipe for Char Siu style pork belly, which calls for fresh garlic and a 8 hour+ cook time; no metallic taste. It was pretty awesome.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Knifegrab posted:

Is there a gold standard for good sous vide containers. I am using some lovely storage container and everything about it pisses me off. I am using an Anova One for reference so I have 12 liters or less to work with.

I use http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-18-Quart-Party-Stacker-Cooler/dp/B002BMB8T2 which works great and seems to have some popularity. Narrow footprint, which is nice for apartment living, the lid pops off, which is vital if you're using a cooler, and the handle makes it easier to move to and fro for filling or dumping. I haven't done testing, but I imagine the insulation makes my Anova slightly cheaper to run, and the narrow top makes covering it with foil for long cooks easy. Only downside is the vertical orientation means I sometimes need to work to get non-bag items (eggs, jarred custards) out of the bottom.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

Test Pattern posted:

I use http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-18-Quart-Party-Stacker-Cooler/dp/B002BMB8T2 which works great and seems to have some popularity. Narrow footprint, which is nice for apartment living, the lid pops off, which is vital if you're using a cooler, and the handle makes it easier to move to and fro for filling or dumping. I haven't done testing, but I imagine the insulation makes my Anova slightly cheaper to run, and the narrow top makes covering it with foil for long cooks easy. Only downside is the vertical orientation means I sometimes need to work to get non-bag items (eggs, jarred custards) out of the bottom.

Why are people using these types of things instead of a stainless steel stock pot?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Psy890 posted:

Why are people using these types of things instead of a stainless steel stock pot?

Even with my sansaire, when I put it in a stock pot, there's really no room for the water to flow around whatever I'm cooking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Psy890 posted:

Better insulation means less heat loss means less work for the circulator means less electricity used

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Psy890 posted:

Metal = maximum heat loss, round = inconvenient shape that doesn't maximize interior space, non-transparent = can't easily see when your poo poo suddenly floats up or bunches together (coolers aren't transparent either which is one reason I prefer cambros).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I'll give a trip report later today on my rubber maid that I ordered, hopefully its a step up from the massive bin I was using before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I can tell you that the Rubbermaids flex slightly more than Cambros, it's a less rigid polycarbonate. But I guess that's the price of not having your kids grow up with 3 arms due to BPA.

Also it's nice that they have quart lines on one side and liter lines on the other.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I can tell you that the Rubbermaids flex slightly more than Cambros, it's a less rigid polycarbonate. But I guess that's the price of not having your kids grow up with 3 arms due to BPA.

Also it's nice that they have quart lines on one side and liter lines on the other.

Is BPA really an issue since the food is bagged?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am making, how you say in your country, a joke

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is BPA really an issue since the food is bagged?

BPA's not really an issue, period, outside of Food Babe worshippers.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Phanatic posted:

BPA's not really an issue, period, outside of Food Babe worshippers.

Hey, hey, there's also this guy that sells estrogen free plastic certifications that has proof estrogen in plastics causes problems.

Food babe just has problems with chemicals in general, which is why she is such a vacuous bitch.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So for the anova one, this container is literally absoluetly perfect. Fully seated on the side, and the thing hovers about 1/2 centimeter off the bottom. In other words its a perfect fit. Furthermore the container full of liquid is as much water as is recommended to circulate with the anova one, again perfect. Finally filled to the brim it comes just barely under the MAX fill line on the anova. I got a lid for it too which I cut a small hole out of for the anova.

Going to be doing my first 24 hour brisket run in this bad boy tonight. But I seriously feel like I couldn't have a better container.

Sadly the rubber piece on the tip of the fastening screw disappeared, I emailed anova, hopefully they can send me another.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Going to be doing my first 24 hour brisket run in this bad boy tonight.

Sous vide brisket? I'm going to have to ask you to gtfo. Brisket goes on/in a smoker, and a smoker only. It's one thing to SV a steak, or some other kind of single serve cut of meat. But you do not SV barbecue.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

deimos posted:

Hey, hey, there's also this guy that sells estrogen free plastic certifications that has proof estrogen in plastics causes problems.

Food babe just has problems with chemicals in general, which is why she is such a vacuous bitch.

Why I would never cook.... with chemicals :smugmrgw:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Sous vide brisket? I'm going to have to ask you to gtfo. Brisket goes on/in a smoker, and a smoker only. It's one thing to SV a steak, or some other kind of single serve cut of meat. But you do not SV barbecue.

Smoke for the first couple of hours and sous vide to finish. I think Myhrvold actually preferred this approach and was strangely kind to liquid smoke even.
I wanted brisket without a smoked taste and did sous vide only and it was awesome. It became tamales in the end.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Suuuuuuuuuck my diiiiiiiiick *Sous vide er'yday*

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
One 9 pound porchetta, halved, and a 6 pound eye of round roast. Stringing meats is the bane of my existence.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

A million Jewish grandmothers will beg to differ.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The Grapist posted:

A million Jewish grandmothers will beg to differ.

They can differ all they want, they're still wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Knifegrab posted:

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to take meat directly out of freezer and vacuum seal it and throw it in my sous vide? Should I let it defrost first? I realize for an hour cook why this would be bad but this would be for a 24 hour cook at a very high temp.

Modernist says that this is actually a better method. I don't have access to the book at the moment--but with sous vide it is better to go straight from frozen to the water bath. Some of the reasons seemed relatively spurious but whatever.