Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
So I put Kodi on my Amazon Fire TV with the purpose of trying to make it an option for cord cutting.

I've found a lot of addons that seems to have links to channels, but most of them either crash or plain just don't open (Phoenix, FTV, Genesis, CLIQ!).

Is it me or is there something that I'm missing as far as repositories to get them to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My lounge room Kodi is showing show folders in Swedish, but the episode details in English. It's only some files and seems completely random.

It makes zero sense.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

ZHamburglar posted:

So I put Kodi on my Amazon Fire TV with the purpose of trying to make it an option for cord cutting.

I've found a lot of addons that seems to have links to channels, but most of them either crash or plain just don't open (Phoenix, FTV, Genesis, CLIQ!).

Is it me or is there something that I'm missing as far as repositories to get them to work?

Nope, this is pretty much the name of the game when it comes to pirate live TV feeds. For every one that works you'll find at least three that don't (give SportsDevil a try during an NFL game if you really want to see a ridiculous example of this). Genesis is easily the most reliable of the addons you mentioned, but the difference there is that with most things you can almost certainly find one that works pretty easily. Autoplay is even pretty reliable.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Apple just dropped the Apple TV price to $69. Is this still considered a decent Kodi machine? I know it can do 1080p but how does it handle Dolby 5 or 7 channel audio?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Apple just dropped the Apple TV price to $69. Is this still considered a decent Kodi machine? I know it can do 1080p but how does it handle Dolby 5 or 7 channel audio?

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Kodi only can be installed on an ATV2.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah it only works on the ATV2 and they're dropping support after Kodi 14.2 comes out.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
ahh ok. Thanks

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
The newer android boxes are way more powerful too. I belive even the newest apple tv is still a single core 1ghz chip and even the fire tv stick has twice the ram and a dual core 1ghz chip for $30 less.

I'm really close to buying a fire tv set top to replace my htpc, the only hangup being that I need to explore how well the limelight app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight&hl=en) plays on it in general as my HTPC probably gets used more for gaming than video at this point on my end.

Anyone using this setup with an xbox 360 controller and it links up okay?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Minty Swagger posted:

The newer android boxes are way more powerful too. I belive even the newest apple tv is still a single core 1ghz chip and even the fire tv stick has twice the ram and a dual core 1ghz chip for $30 less.

I'm really close to buying a fire tv set top to replace my htpc, the only hangup being that I need to explore how well the limelight app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight&hl=en) plays on it in general as my HTPC probably gets used more for gaming than video at this point on my end.

Anyone using this setup with an xbox 360 controller and it links up okay?

I haven't done much with limelight but it DID mostly work with pcsx2. I could mess around with it and steam for you some today and see how it goes. You're probably going to want to be using a wired connection though.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Yeah I currently run wired for my existing setup, I just wonder how the geforce experience thing works on non NVIDA optimized games and stuff like that, the steam streaming doesn't really give a poo poo on WHAT game it is which is cool and the integration of steam into XBMC is super easy. Maybe I should just leave it as is. :sigh:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Minty Swagger posted:

Yeah I currently run wired for my existing setup, I just wonder how the geforce experience thing works on non NVIDA optimized games and stuff like that, the steam streaming doesn't really give a poo poo on WHAT game it is which is cool and the integration of steam into XBMC is super easy. Maybe I should just leave it as is. :sigh:

WRT to games Limelight doesn't care and you can add the game executable manually to the geforce experience. It's what I did for PCSX2 when I tried it out that one time.

The Fire TV should be able to handle 720p60 or 1080p30 without too much trouble. 1080p60 is too much for it. They also recently made a change on the new geforce experience (version 2.1.4) that changes the way they stream games. This adds a decent amount of input lag on some devices and could include the Fire TV (devices with qualcomm based processors). You'll have to downgrade to 2.1.3 to get around that. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56839233&postcount=1699

edit: besides that new thing that may not affect the fire tv (can't find any info either way and I haven't used limelight in awhile) Limelight seems to work fine on the Fire TV.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 9, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you didn't sell off your ATV2 2 years ago for $200+ i feel bad for you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sold one in October for just over $200, and eBay is still full of 'professional' listings that are charging even more. I sold mine, bought an ATV3 and put Plex on it and it's 100x better and I had £100 leftover. No brainer.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Minty Swagger it looks like the Fire TV has 50 ms of video lag before you take the TV and network into account. Fire TV Stick's video lag is 20 ms due to different hardware (broadcom chipset). The Shield tablet or a nexus player is at 5ms. It's up to the device and how it handles H.264 hardware decoding latency. There's more information Here..

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 10, 2015

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Interesting. Thanks for looking into it! In the end I'll probably get one to finally retire my xbox1(original) for emulators but combining it with my xbmc htpc would be best. For now I guess I'm fine as-is. :unsmith:

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
I occasionally use Limelight on my Fire TV and a wireless 360 controller. It works okay for some things, not for others. The video lag means that anything super twitchy is out, so I wouldn't suggest Counter-Strike on it. Playing New Super Mario Bros through Dolphin works pretty great, though.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Jadius posted:

I occasionally use Limelight on my Fire TV and a wireless 360 controller. It works okay for some things, not for others. The video lag means that anything super twitchy is out, so I wouldn't suggest Counter-Strike on it. Playing New Super Mario Bros through Dolphin works pretty great, though.
What the hell is this magic I'm reading about? This is very intriguing!
I tried googling, but as primarliy a console/Linux guy I can't quite grasp this.
What would I need in order to do the fantastic things you take for granted?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like you need a minimum of GTX 600/700/800/900 series GPU and acts as a client for nVidia's video streaming technology that runs locally on your laptop/PC "server". I think it renders the scene locally on the server and pushes it out as a h.264 stream which is then decoded locally by the FireTV "client" in hardware.

I have an old GTX 460 (2010/11 era GPU) so I'm out of luck, anything newer than Spring 2012 ought to support it though.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 10, 2015

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Is there an addon that will let me play music as stereo? I just want music out of left and right channels not the full 5.1 but dont want movies or TV affected.
Tried the settings but any rips with MP3 rips are affected too.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Hadlock posted:

Looks like you need a minimum of GTX 600/700/800/900 series GPU and acts as a client for nVidia's video streaming technology that runs locally on your laptop/PC "server". I think it renders the scene locally on the server and pushes it out as a h.264 stream which is then decoded locally by the FireTV "client" in hardware.

I have an old GTX 460 (2010/11 era GPU) so I'm out of luck, anything newer than Spring 2012 ought to support it though.

Yeah thats to use the limelight setup which is android based. Steam streaming does it without any level of special hardware/OS but its not something you can easily dump into android. torjus check out if steamOS can somehow do it on your machine as it's linux based?

My HTPC is windows based so I just use steam streaming right now, with an addon that boots straight into steam big picture from the main menu (GAMES button under videos)

With that I can get 720p/60fps in most games, I'd do 1080p as my desktop can handle it, but the htpc cannot. :sigh:

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Minty Swagger posted:

Yeah thats to use the limelight setup which is android based. Steam streaming does it without any level of special hardware/OS but its not something you can easily dump into android. torjus check out if steamOS can somehow do it on your machine as it's linux based?
Thanks. Yes, I will surely look into this.
I'm very interested in the Dolphin emulator, since I recently retired the old Wii, but that would limit me to a Windows machine with a NVIDIA-card, right?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

torjus posted:

Thanks. Yes, I will surely look into this.
I'm very interested in the Dolphin emulator, since I recently retired the old Wii, but that would limit me to a Windows machine with a NVIDIA-card, right?

Or a Linux machine with an Nvidia card. Dolphin has a native linux version. While using dolphin on Linux with an AMD video card might work, it'd probably not work very well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
My storage drive (an external HD) went on me yesterday (Hopefully I can recover the movies and such but I'm considering the drive a write off) and I'm thinking of moving onto a wireless storage solution like WD's my cloud or similar, what's the best one for the most pain free XBMC experience given that I'm running Windows 8?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ConanThe3rd posted:

My storage drive (an external HD) went on me yesterday (Hopefully I can recover the movies and such but I'm considering the drive a write off) and I'm thinking of moving onto a wireless storage solution like WD's my cloud or similar, what's the best one for the most pain free XBMC experience given that I'm running Windows 8?

XBMC doesn't care as long as its visible on the network.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

havenwaters posted:

Yeah it only works on the ATV2 and they're dropping support after Kodi 14.2 comes out.

drat it, I never got around to stealthily replacing my parents' ATV2 with an ATV3 and selling the 2 on eBay for way too much money!

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Synology NAS is the correct answer.

Run all your SABnzbd/SickBeard/CouchPotato/Headphones on a quiet little box stuffed with hard drives.

Fake-NAS HDs and 1st party 3.5" external hard drives are for scrubs who don't want features and want arbitrarily truncated warranties.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

XBMC doesn't care as long as its visible on the network.

That too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

eltoozero posted:

Synology NAS is the correct answer.

Run all your SABnzbd/SickBeard/CouchPotato/Headphones on a quiet little box stuffed with hard drives.

Fake-NAS HDs and 1st party 3.5" external hard drives are for scrubs who don't want features and want arbitrarily truncated warranties.

Fair enough; Is there anywhere where I can read up on all this and can I run a Synology Nas wirelessly or does it require to be permanently hooked to the router?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A synology can use a usb wifi adapter to either connect to a wireless network, or it can actually be your wireless router or access point

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/427

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Should the small home office ones be ok for what I'm looking to do (Wireless Network Storage?)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 14, 2015

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Should the small home office ones be ok for what I'm looking to do (Wireless Network Storage?)

I suggest one with at least two drives, so you can swap/expand (using SHR volume). But you can also plug in an external drive for backup, or just free-ball it and run an unprotected single spindle.

Even if you're doing SHR you should backup, I'm lazy and my bitty NAS is still down because of an "oops I hosed" forced shutdown during rebuild, yea they're tiny and convenient enough that you can be holding the power button while swapping a drive.

Luckily recovery isn't difficult, just time consuming (did I mention I'm slightly lazy when it comes to my own projects).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

eltoozero posted:

I suggest one with at least two drives, so you can swap/expand (using SHR volume). But you can also plug in an external drive for backup, or just free-ball it and run an unprotected single spindle.

Even if you're doing SHR you should backup, I'm lazy and my bitty NAS is still down because of an "oops I hosed" forced shutdown during rebuild, yea they're tiny and convenient enough that you can be holding the power button while swapping a drive.

Luckily recovery isn't difficult, just time consuming (did I mention I'm slightly lazy when it comes to my own projects).
I had intended to get a two drive one and my budget is about £200 for such a project so like one weighing in at £150 with a couple of non flashy 1TB HDDs and a wireless usb sound about right for what I'm trying to do?

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

I had intended to get a two drive one and my budget is about £200 for such a project so like one weighing in at £150 with a couple of non flashy 1TB HDDs and a wireless usb sound about right for what I'm trying to do?

I'm confused on the "wireless usb sound" bit, you can have a usb sound card to get audio out, and you can have a usb wireless but I'd want that thing wired to the router if you can help it.

Sounds like you're on the right track tho.

The single spindle units are just fine and the only time you'll really see it lag is when SABNZBd is unpacking and verifying.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

hdhomerun kodi plugin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF80LjvwDxc

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

eltoozero posted:

I'm confused on the "wireless usb sound" bit, you can have a usb sound card to get audio out, and you can have a usb wireless but I'd want that thing wired to the router if you can help it.

Sounds like you're on the right track tho.

The single spindle units are just fine and the only time you'll really see it lag is when SABNZBd is unpacking and verifying.

I meant did that set up sound right, not that I wanted wireless sound.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

I meant did that set up sound right, not that I wanted wireless sound.

My mistake, here's the Synology USB wifi compatibility chart: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/444

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's a little bit more rich for my tastes than what I was going for but how's the DS214Play?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 15, 2015

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's a little bit more rich for my tastes than what I was going for but how's the DS214Play?

I might get flak for being a scrub and getting The Wrong One (tm), but I am loving the Buffalo Linkstation. I picked up the 8TB version for $350 USD last week, and it came functionally ready-to-go. No mucking with HDDs, no fiddling with settings. Within 20 minutes, it was acting as a network hard drive and XBMC saw it no problem.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Sputnik posted:

I might get flak for being a scrub and getting The Wrong One (tm), but I am loving the Buffalo Linkstation. I picked up the 8TB version for $350 USD last week, and it came functionally ready-to-go. No mucking with HDDs, no fiddling with settings. Within 20 minutes, it was acting as a network hard drive and XBMC saw it no problem.

Buffalo works fine for straight SMB sharing, no problems, but you're not going to run your torrent/NZB application stack on it, unlike Synology. Nor are you going to have "magic" expanding SHR RAID volumes.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Should do it, I have one of the 214 units sitting around somewhere, that model is cool because the disc access is behind that front panel, you have to fully disassemble the cheaper models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

That looks great. I'm just wondering how it would run under a low powered device like Raspberry Pi and the low end Android boxes.