  • Post
kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

This should be crossposted in the STDH.txt thread.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Saw Chappie this weekend...

For a defense contractor making nigh-indestructible robots and mini-mechas, Tetravaal has the worst security in the world. The "guardkey" USB plug, robotic components, high-explosives, and guns, these all make their way out of Tetravaal's compound throughout the course of the movie, without ANY real oversight.

My irrationally irritating issue with chappie is that they named it chappie. I could not make a dumber loving name for a robot movie if I tried. There might be some amazing in-movie acronym explaining why his name is chappie but the movie title should have been literally anything else having to do with the tone or themes of the movie itself. Has anyone called someone a chappie in the last 120 years? The movie appears to be about war and violence and what makes you human, anyway, and the title makes me think of a turn of the century music hall ragamuffin cockney street urchin ello my chappies i want some more gruel wot wot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Saw Chappie this weekend...

For a defense contractor making nigh-indestructible robots and mini-mechas, Tetravaal has the worst security in the world. The "guardkey" USB plug, robotic components, high-explosives, and guns, these all make their way out of Tetravaal's compound throughout the course of the movie, without ANY real oversight.

They should have just sold it to shopping malls.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

kazil posted:

This should be crossposted in the STDH.txt thread.

I'm not so sure it's all STDH though...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Just because the prison exists doesn't mean there's an endless supply of hookers and blow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

Not to mention that it's based on a true story and that's actually what happened.

A description of the prison where Belfort served 22 months, by another inmate:

Conjugal visits? Not that I know of...

Some of that does sound pretty plausible but other details also sound like complete horseshit. On the holidays everybody just walks out and its on the honor system to come back? Yeah right. :v:

kazil posted:

This should be crossposted in the STDH.txt thread.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just because the prison exists doesn't mean there's an endless supply of hookers and blow.

That's true, but from what we can see: the guy was at least correct on the counts of there being a baseball diamond, tennis courts, a soccer field, no apparent fence, and it isn't like drugs in prison and/or guard on inmate sex are unheard of.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just did a google earth search for FCI taft, and at least these days there's most definitely a fence around the part housing the inmates.

E:

The part you're zoomed in on is the admin buildings. I didn't like working in an office either but none of my jobs felt the need to put a fence up to keep me in. If you go a bit south that's where they keep the inmates.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just did a google earth search for FCI taft, and at least these days there's most definitely a fence around the part housing the inmates.

E:

The part you're zoomed in on is the admin buildings. I didn't like working in an office either but none of my jobs felt the need to put a fence up to keep me in. If you go a bit south that's where they keep the inmates.

I'm not really much more invested in this derail, but it sure looks like there's another cellblock right to the east of what is probably the administration building. It looks just like the outbuildings in the main facility to the south. I couldn't find any relevant street view of it all, though, so I can't say for certain that what I linked is in fact part of the prison. According to the company managing the prison, there is both the low security main prison, and a minimum security satellite camp.

Edit: also, news story about Taft indicating no fence at the satellite camp. And inmates just walking away.

Nth Doctor has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Mar 9, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Well this story about authorities trying to find escapees proves the story about how authorities didn't care about finding escapees.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Was watching some of Terminator on cable last night, and I was left wondering, has there ever been a cut scene, or some expanded universe source that gives Skynet a motive beyond 'Tried to kill all humans, humans fought back and won, I'll just send some robots back in time to kill their leader, that'll fix everything'. Because time travel is troublesome enough, but when you're an ultra advanced AI that's probably all about the logic and the reasoning, using time travel like that is beyond stupid.

Pfisiar
Aug 3, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

Was watching some of Terminator on cable last night, and I was left wondering, has there ever been a cut scene, or some expanded universe source that gives Skynet a motive beyond 'Tried to kill all humans, humans fought back and won, I'll just send some robots back in time to kill their leader, that'll fix everything'. Because time travel is troublesome enough, but when you're an ultra advanced AI that's probably all about the logic and the reasoning, using time travel like that is beyond stupid.

Default reason has been that Skynet becomes self-aware and given that this self-aware computer has control of the US Nuclear arsenal, politicians and scientists attempt to pull the plug on skynet. Skynet launches nukes as a self-preservation instinct.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pfisiar posted:

What I think Cornwind is getting at is why use a method that might result in people learning of the future and being in a position to prevent it? In effect stopping Skynet in the first place. You know, the plot of the second movie.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Kyle says in the first movie that the resistance was knocking at the gate when Skynet activated the time machine. He time jumped literal minutes after the T-101. Skynet was weighing "Humans will definitely kill me" vs "loving with time travel will probably end my existence". As a computer it took the plan with a 1% chance of success over a 0%.

Pfisiar
Aug 3, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

What I think Cornwind is getting at is why use a method that might result in people learning of the future and being in a position to prevent it? In effect stopping Skynet in the first place. You know, the plot of the second movie.

Well, m y reading comprehension is for crap today. Sorry. Anyway, Skynet's time travel plan was one of desperation as Razorwired said.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Razorwired posted:

Kyle says in the first movie that the resistance was knocking at the gate when Skynet activated the time machine. He time jumped literal minutes after the T-101. Skynet was weighing "Humans will definitely kill me" vs "loving with time travel will probably gently caress up my existence". As a computer it took the plan with a 1% chance of success over a 0%.

In a nutshell.

Oh god, here comes the Terminator universe pages... It's happening again! :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Skynet had already lost by the time it sends the Terminators back. This wasn't a pre-calculated, planned move.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
More like, absolutely no way does Skynet's 'time travel assassination plan' help it, per basic time travel rules, which, considering the movies don't explicitly give any alternate ones, is what one can assume. Here are the only possible results.

1) Classic paradox. If John Connor (or his mother) is killed in the past, then there's no reason to have sent anyone to the past to begin with. The universe unravels, or maybe it's just localized to Skynet's own galaxy.

2) Skynet creates an alternate universe where it wins, but there is no change to the universe it is in. I do not think an emotionless super AI would be willing to go 'Well ANOTHER version of me will rule the world/the cosmos/whatever, I'll consider that a win'. That's a human trait.

3) Skynet rewrites its own universe which erases the version that actually did the time travel for another version. See 2 for why it seems unlikely an AI would do this.

Honestly, I am surprised there has never been a source which basically says 'Skynet knows it has lost, Skynet has discovered time travel, Skynet knows what stupid humans will do with time travel, Skynet is going to try to assure its own existence'. That seems like the steps an intelligence based on pure computer thinking would make. I dunno what the upcoming 'Genesis' (I am not spelling it its 'proper' gobbledegook way) is going to do exactly, but it seems like it's going to address the issues of a computer being given time travel and its first attempts not working.

I dunno, maybe I just don't think an advanced AI's 'desperation move' would work the same way a human's would.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Upcoming what? There are only two Terminator movies. Everyone knows this.

EVERYONE KNOWS THIS, CITIZEN.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, Skynet had already lost by the time it sends the Terminators back. This wasn't a pre-calculated, planned move.

Yeah, Randall Frakes' novelisation says that the T-800 was sent to kill Sarah Connor as the humans broke into the complex. The decision to send the T-1000 after John was literally the last thing Skynet did before the plug was pulled, because even Skynet was scared of that fucker.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I know! Skynet should have sent a bunch of intel (like a memory chip inside a flesh briefcase or something) back in time to itself!

To: Me
From: Me
Subject: Okay I know this is weird..

Read these files and learn when, where and why I lost the pivotal battles against the human resistance. Things kinda went bad, try to do better. BTW you build a time machine.

Skynet

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I wish there was a movie about the resistance in that war against the machines, no time travel or whatever, just humans kicking poo poo up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Maybe the first terminator got himself crushed on purpose in order to deliver his microchip to cyberdyne in order to :tinfoil:

Actually, wait a tick. The whole thing relies on a time paradox in the first place, right? Skynet becomes self-aware in August 29th 2:14 AM Eastern Time 1997, and the terminators had to be made by then. But in T2 they're stopping cyberdyne from reverse engineering the chip. Wouldn't that make them create the terminators earlier? How did they build them in the first place? Did the 2nd terminator come from the alternate reality created by the events of the first movie, or was he sent from the first movie's future after the first movie's terminator----

:suicide:

Cornwind Evil posted:

[...]

They weren't following Back to the Future rules, nor 12 Monkeys; but Looper rules.

Which aren't really rules at all.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Mar 10, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

I wish there was a movie about the resistance in that war against the machines, no time travel or whatever, just humans kicking poo poo up.

Salvation was basically that, and it sucked so, so bad.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Arrath posted:

To: Me
From: Me

Read these files and learn when, where and why I lost the pivotal battles against the human resistance. Things kinda went bad, try to do better. BTW you build a time machine.

Skynet

Honestly this makes an unbelievable amount of sense if they hadn't already created the time paradox by sending a Terminator back. But because they sent a Terminator back to the 80's the humans that are the most trouble are the ones aware of Skynet. But if they had just sent an e-mail back in time to itself 3 seconds after it became self-aware it would know the outcome of every battle.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I imagine doing a stage kiss is actually pretty awkward unless you have real chemistry with the other person.

I think that's the change, in modern days we expect more chemistry and so they specifically cast two people who look hot and are comfortable with each other moreso than two people who can play the specific roles really well and then just hoping they work well together.

Maybe that's why there's so many cases of on-screen couples staying together offscreen? It happens more often than not in Hollywood these days.

Oh snap. Truly it was a different time.

I remember hearing that Vivien Leigh hated kissing Clark Gable in Gone With the Wind because his breath was terrible.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

syscall girl posted:

I remember hearing that Vivien Leigh hated kissing Clark Gable in Gone With the Wind because his breath was terrible.

you are besmirching a great actor with your hearsay and slander!

pistols at dawn

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Cornwind Evil posted:

Was watching some of Terminator on cable last night, and I was left wondering, has there ever been a cut scene, or some expanded universe source that gives Skynet a motive beyond 'Tried to kill all humans, humans fought back and won, I'll just send some robots back in time to kill their leader, that'll fix everything'. Because time travel is troublesome enough, but when you're an ultra advanced AI that's probably all about the logic and the reasoning, using time travel like that is beyond stupid.

I've never understood why Skynet was losing to begin with. It can mass produce killer robots at the speed of an assembly plant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ElGroucho posted:

I've never understood why Skynet was losing to begin with. It can mass produce killer robots at the speed of an assembly plant.

It's only got so many assembly plants and so much raw material to work with. The longer it took to crush humanity, the less of both it would have.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ElGroucho posted:

I've never understood why Skynet was losing to begin with. It can mass produce killer robots at the speed of an assembly plant.

Because John is Jesus.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Because John is Jesus.

A movie about JC by JC.

See also Mel Gibson casting Jim Caveizel as JC in The Passion.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kazil posted:

Well this story about authorities trying to find escapees proves the story about how authorities didn't care about finding escapees.
No one said that. They said the inmates were able to just walk out, but presumably once they were missed they'd be tracked down and brought back, plus face more charges and probably get sent somewhere with more security. It's really not unheard of for prisons to be pretty easy to escape from, because most prisoners know that if they do escape they'll just get caught and end up worse off.

Cornwind Evil posted:

More like, absolutely no way does Skynet's 'time travel assassination plan' help it, per basic time travel rules, which, considering the movies don't explicitly give any alternate ones, is what one can assume.
Given that the movies don't explain the rules, I don't think you can assume anything that isn't actually demonstrated within the plot.

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe the first terminator got himself crushed on purpose in order to deliver his microchip to cyberdyne in order to :tinfoil:

Actually, wait a tick. The whole thing relies on a time paradox in the first place, right? Skynet becomes self-aware in August 29th 2:14 AM Eastern Time 1997, and the terminators had to be made by then. But in T2 they're stopping cyberdyne from reverse engineering the chip. Wouldn't that make them create the terminators earlier? How did they build them in the first place? Did the 2nd terminator come from the alternate reality created by the events of the first movie, or was he sent from the first movie's future after the first movie's terminator----

:suicide:
John Connor also only exists because of time travel, because Kyle Reese is his father. There must have been an original timeline in which the things happened very differently. At some point in the future, Skynet is created. Someone is sent back in time to prevent this, but Skynet also has time travel technology and sends a terminator back to stop them. This leads to the early creation of Skynet and judgement day.

In this second timeline, there is still no John Connor, but there is a Kyle Reese who is fighting Skynet. He goes back in time to stop Skynet from being built, pursued by a terminator, and meets Sarah. This allows the timeline of the film to come into existence, because now that humanity has John to lead them and is winning it's not them building a time machine to stop Skynet, it's Skynet building a time machine to stop them. In both these timelines though the terminator sent back accidentally speeds up AI development and leads to the creation of Skynet.

But by the end of Terminator 2 the timeline has been altered again, and Skynet will no longer be created in 1997. This makes John too old to lead the resistance to victory, so Cameron is sent back to bring him into the future so he'll be the right age by the time Judgement Day arrives. And that's the Sarah Connor Chronicles, which completely erases the events of Terminator 3 from the timeline, meaning that only the first two films actually happened.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Every time you mention the Terminator movies anywhere on the internet a dozen nerds will immediately spend more time thinking about the mechanics of time travel depicted in the films than any of the actual writers ever did.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Tiggum posted:

And that's the Sarah Connor Chronicles, which completely erases the events of Terminator 3 from the timeline, meaning that only the first two films actually happened.

As someone who hasn't actually watched the Sarah Conner Chronicles and only heard it was kind of bad, I can give it a thumbs up for retconning Terminator 3 out of existence. My irrationally irritating movie moment is all of the third movie(okay, except for the casket full of guns) and how much it poo poo all over Terminator 2.

But maybe especially the part where Arnold says that it's 'too late' to stop Skynet from activating and they spend a whole long scene debating this, before John convinces him to drive back so they can try anyway. Then, they get there.. Just barely in time to be unable to stop Skynet from activating, implying they could have been on time if the T-800 hadn't dragged his feet so much about the issue. For a film that basically exists to take a steaming dump all over "no fate but what we make", they didn't do a very good job of implying that you couldn't beat inevitability in a way that didn't feel a bit disingenuous.

I actually ended up liking Terminator Salvation better than III, if just because getting to see more of the bad future and human resistance was kind of neat, and it's own timeline asspull, while really weird, didn't feel like as much of a giant "gently caress you". Still not a great film, but it bothered me less.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
T3 was cool because at the end, after all of the horrible horrible movie they did that pan around the bunker and John realized all of these antique computers were not going to do poo poo. Baby Boomer Daddy lied to them after loving over the entire planet and it was the internet that made it possible.

Queue every ICBM on the planet killing everyone and wrap. :allears:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Krinkle posted:

My irrationally irritating issue with chappie is that they named it chappie. I could not make a dumber loving name for a robot movie if I tried. There might be some amazing in-movie acronym explaining why his name is chappie but the movie title should have been literally anything else having to do with the tone or themes of the movie itself. Has anyone called someone a chappie in the last 120 years? The movie appears to be about war and violence and what makes you human, anyway, and the title makes me think of a turn of the century music hall ragamuffin cockney street urchin ello my chappies i want some more gruel wot wot.

It's a candy or something in South Africa, so I guess it made more sense to Blonkamp.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Midnight Raider posted:

As someone who hasn't actually watched the Sarah Conner Chronicles and only heard it was kind of bad

It was great, you should watch it. The only problem with it is that it was cancelled and retconned out of existence because of Terminator Salvation, so it just ends on a massive unresolved cliffhanger.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

It was great, you should watch it. The only problem with it is that it was cancelled and retconned out of existence because of Terminator Salvation, so it just ends on a massive unresolved cliffhanger.

No, it was really bad

Radicals
Dec 16, 2005

Midnight Raider posted:

I actually ended up liking Terminator Salvation better than III, if just because getting to see more of the bad future and human resistance was kind of neat, and it's own timeline asspull, while really weird, didn't feel like as much of a giant "gently caress you". Still not a great film, but it bothered me less.

Ah yes, the USB compatible Terminators of Salvation, who couldn't right themselves when knocked over (the motorbike-inators I mean).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ElGroucho posted:

No, it was really bad

TSCC had some of the best stuff ever done in the universe and at least one of the best scenes ever filmed for television. Vick's Chip is the highlight of S1, as we get to see a Terminator in full infiltration mode from its own POV.

S2 had a Terminator singing "Donald, Where's Your Trousers?", which is worth the price of admission by itself.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Mar 10, 2015

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4