Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SocketWrench posted:

"Nyet comrade, we simply built cheap known to be flawed reactor, it will be fine. vodka for everyone"

"poo poo"

I love how even though it was a terribly flawed design, the operators had to intentionally shut down nearly every safety protocol and do the exact opposite of every prescribed protocol, and then actively ignore all the remaining warning signs for this to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Blistex posted:

I love how even though it was a terribly flawed design, the operators had to intentionally shut down nearly every safety protocol and do the exact opposite of every prescribed protocol, and then actively ignore all the remaining warning signs for this to happen.

what were they exactly trying to do again anyways?

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Sparq posted:

It looks like something Corbusier would do with Archigram, like it's going to go walk all around the city on its own, destroying everything and everyone.

It is SO huge too. I feel like one day it'll wake up and eat everyone in Buenos Aires.

The Hampton coliseum in VA is bad but not that terrible

...until the lights are on

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For another example of a cool mall, Prince's Square in Glasgow.

Built inside an old atrium.

Glasgow also has a building that proves the difference between concept art and execution: The Glasgow Metropolitan College (Now the City of Glasgow College).

Concept:

Kind of anonymous, but largely acceptable, right?

Execution:

A big brutalist mess, about 100 yards from a really pretty landmark, George Square.

That's the problem with Glasgow. Because it had masses of money poured into it during the Victorian era, then was pretty much flattened in WW2 and had to be rebuilt on the cheap, the old stuff all looks AMAZING, then the new stuff is just a big function-over-form Brutalist mess.

We also have the SSE Hydro which looks cool, but has a massive flaw:

The problem being the layout of the seating. It's vertical, straight up the walls. So the acoustics (which should be a pretty big concert for a venue built mainly for concerts) are god-loving-awful unless you're at floor level.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 9, 2015

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Bavarian state chancellery:

The two wings of the building were destroyed during WWII and then rebuilt in a modern style. The building was the Bavarian army museum originally.

The statue in front of it is part of the Bavarian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Sorry for digging this up from pages and pages ago but this building intrigued me while I was in Munich last year and is one of the worst modernisations of a bombed out German building that I know of. Yes, both wings and the courtyard of the-then army museum were destroyed but they rebuilt it like this due to the fact that they wanted to appear more open politically. I can see why they wanted to make that claim, but which version of the building looks better, the new version above, or this picture that I took about six months to find??

Huge image

Sadly, much as I love Germany, the country is full of embarrassingly poor post war 'reconstructions' that look terrible nowadays but are largely protected structures.

Heres another dreadful example from Nuremberg. The Pellerhaus ->

Blown up in the war, replaced with this library.

Whilst a group are faithfully restoring the courtyard at the back, there just isn't the will to properly rebuild the facade. Sadly, the lovely 1950s facade is a protected structure. Now, which one would encourage tourists to come take photographs?

Edit: While I'm out for a good rant, here is another disgrace. The Frankfurt Salzhaus.

1950s rebuild ->

Original building. Zoom in on the facade and look at the quality of the wood carving. Which would be better in Frankfurt now?

THE_Chris fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 9, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

how about the PHOON SUCK MEGATHREAD

woah man woah

e: woah

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Frostwerks posted:

what was that brutalist highrise estate that kinda sorta collapsed in britain? like i dont think the whole thing toppled but some parts of it did
My mind goes to Ronan Point, though given post-war Britain's history with buildings I suppose there might be others.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Glasgow also has a building that proves the difference between concept art and execution: The Glasgow Metropolitan College (Now the City of Glasgow College).

Concept:

Kind of anonymous, but largely acceptable, right?

Execution:

A big brutalist mess, about 100 yards from a really pretty landmark, George Square.

The concept for the new building is for the Townhead campus on Cathedral Street. The picture of Glasgow Met you posted is the North Hannover Street Campus, which is a building that is about 40 years old (wiki says 1972, so not a bad guess). So it's two different buildings (albeit about a mile away from each other)

You're right that it's ugly though.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

reformed bad troll posted:

The concept for the new building is for the Townhead campus on Cathedral Street. The picture of Glasgow Met you posted is the North Hannover Street Campus, which is a building that is about 40 years old (wiki says 1972, so not a bad guess). So it's two different buildings (albeit about a mile away from each other)

You're right that it's ugly though.

The new design on Cathedral Street is dreadful too though, even though its not yet finished. Built on the one single remaining section of grass Strathclyde University owns, it juts right out over the pavement, just at a nice height for passing double decker buses to smack into its' corners, and is monstrously tall in comparison to everything else.

Plus, the fact it's directly across from another tall university building means that whatlittle sunlight Glasgow gets is perpetually blotted out, and the traffic fumes just build up and up and up. When you're waiting at the nearby bus stop you can taste the pollution already. It might be an unremarkable, bland design in that picture, but it's positioning means that when you're standing beside it it feels distinctly unpleasant.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

Irisi posted:

When you're waiting at the nearby bus stop you can taste the pollution already.
You'll get that regardless of where you are in Glasgow :v:

Related, the Bluevale and Whitevale towers in the east end of the city are being demolished after years of being damp, decaying hellholes. Here is what they look like:

Since the towers are right in the middle of a dense residential area, instead of just blowing them up there's a scaffold structure making its way down from the top of the building to bottom, gently dismantling them as it moves.

I'll be a bit sad to see them gone because they've been a feature of my train journeys to/from Glasgow for as long as I can remember. Also in the right weather they look super cool

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bip Roberts posted:

The NY capitol is the ugliest building on the mall and a total pig.

yeah well you're a total pig :colbert:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Some tests that were designed for another reactor.

Master of Stealth
Oct 12, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Continuing the trend of ugly Ottawa libraries.

They did manage to get around to renovating that library. It still looks like rear end from the sides, but overall I think it's a definite improvement. At the very least it seems less soulless.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Max Manus posted:

Nice old city block in Oslo. Det engelske kvarter as it was known.

Then the 1960's came along, gotta get with the modern times. Away with the old and in with the new!

Behold, the industry export-import building!

:sigh:

Bah, that's one of my favourite post-war buildings in Oslo.

Sure, the original buildings should never have been demolished but as far as brutalism goes it's pretty drat good. The whole building was renovated a new years back and now it looks like this:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

dadrips posted:

You'll get that regardless of where you are in Glasgow :v:

Related, the Bluevale and Whitevale towers in the east end of the city are being demolished after years of being damp, decaying hellholes. Here is what they look like:

Since the towers are right in the middle of a dense residential area, instead of just blowing them up there's a scaffold structure making its way down from the top of the building to bottom, gently dismantling them as it moves.

I'll be a bit sad to see them gone because they've been a feature of my train journeys to/from Glasgow for as long as I can remember. Also in the right weather they look super cool

Can't talk about soulless blocks in Glasgow without the ur-soulless block, the Red Road Flats.

Torn down last year because it turns out the asbestos in the walls was pretty much structurally integral.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lawman 0 posted:

IIRC, they were trying to get a bit of power out the turbines after a reactor shutdown, to see if they could use that to run the cooling pumps during an unplanned shutdown.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Computer viking posted:

IIRC, they were trying to get a bit of power out the turbines after a reactor shutdown, to see if they could use that to run the cooling pumps during an unplanned shutdown.

Yes. If the reactor had lost connection to the power-grid and underwent an emergency shutdown, there was a 1 minute window between shutdown and the back-up generators coming online during which the coolant pumps weren't powered. So they ran a test to see if the steam-turbines could produce enough power to run the pumps during that 1 minute window.
To do that they shutdown almost every single safety-mechanism that could be shutdown, and then manually manouvered the reactor into a position where it could overheat despite running at almost no power output. Then they decided to turn power to the coolant pump off and see if the turbine would do the trick. It certainly did a trick

The wikipedia article is really good. A tl;dr of Choice Quotes:

"The experimental procedure was intended to run as follows:

The reactor was to be running at a low power level, between 700 MW and 800 MW.
The steam-turbine generator was to be run up to full speed.
When these conditions were achieved, the steam supply for the turbine generator was to be closed off.
Turbine generator performance was to be recorded to determine whether it could provide the bridging power for coolant pumps until the emergency diesel generators were sequenced to start and provide power to the cooling pumps automatically.
After the emergency generators reached normal operating speed and voltage, the turbine generator would be allowed to freewheel down."

"The test plan called for a gradual reduction in power output from reactor 4 to a thermal level of 700–1000 MW.(...) However, due to the natural production of xenon-135, a neutron absorber, core power continued to decrease without further operator action—a process known as reactor poisoning. As the reactor power output dropped further, to approximately 500 MW, Toptunov mistakenly inserted the control rods too far [...] This combination of factors rendered the reactor in an unintended near-shutdown state, with a power output of 30 MW thermal or less."

"Nearly all of the control rods were removed manually, including all but 18 of the "fail-safe" manually operated rods of the minimal 28 which were intended to remain fully inserted to control the reactor even in the event of a loss of coolant, out of a total 211 control rods."

"The automated system that could do (initiate an emergency shutdown) had been disabled to maintain the power level, and many other automated and even passive safety features of the reactor had been bypassed. Further, the reactor coolant pumping had been reduced, which had limited margin so any power excursion would produce boiling, thereby reducing neutron absorption by the water[ effectively increasing reactor power]."

"After the (manual emergency shutdown) button was pressed, the insertion of control rods into the reactor core began. The control rod insertion mechanism moved the rods at 0.4 m/s, so that the rods took 18 to 20 seconds to travel the full height of the core, about 7 meters. A bigger problem was a flawed graphite-tip control rod design, which initially displaced neutron-absorbing coolant with moderating graphite [increasing reactor output] before introducing replacement neutron-absorbing boron material to slow the reaction."

"A few seconds after the start of the SCRAM, the graphite rod tips entered the fuel pile. A massive power spike occurred, and the core overheated, causing some of the fuel rods to fracture, blocking the control rod columns and jamming the control rods at one-third insertion, with the graphite tips in the middle of the core."

"Then, according to some estimations, the reactor jumped to around 30,000 MW thermal, ten times the normal operational output. The last reading on the control panel was 33,000 MW. It was not possible to reconstruct the precise sequence of the processes that led to the destruction of the reactor and the power unit building, but a steam explosion, like the explosion of a steam boiler from excess vapor pressure, appears to have been the next event. There is a general understanding that it was steam from the wrecked fuel channels escaping into the reactor's exterior cooling structure that caused the destruction of the reactor casing, tearing off and lifting the 2000-ton upper plate, to which the entire reactor assembly is fastened, sending it through the roof of the reactor building."

"A second, more powerful explosion occurred about two or three seconds after the first; this explosion dispersed the damaged core and effectively terminated the nuclear chain reaction. However, this explosion also compromised more of the reactor containment vessel and ejected superheated lumps of graphite moderator. The ejected graphite and the demolished channels still in the remains of the reactor vessel caught fire on exposure to air, greatly contributing to the spread of radioactive fallout and the contamination of outlying areas."

"However, the sheer force of the second explosion, and the ratio of xenon radioisotopes released during the event, indicate that the second explosion could have been a nuclear power transient; the result of the melting core material, in the absence of its cladding, water coolant and moderator, undergoing runaway prompt criticality similar to the explosion of a fizzled nuclear weapon."

Finally, for complete :ussr: "Contrary to safety regulations, bitumen, a combustible material, had been used in the construction of the roof of the reactor building and the turbine hall."

Domattee fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 10, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Incidentally, it wasn't really the steam turbine test that did them in - that part worked more or less as planned, it just happened to set the stage for the other idiocy.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Demonachizer posted:

There is a shopping center in Paris that is ridiculously nice though, Galleries Lafayette:

Reminds me a bit of the Shot Tower in Melbourne, except instead of turning the old building into a mall they built the mall around the old building..

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

paperchaseguy posted:

haha just kidding! these shots are from the next Bioshock game

Not enough steam punk or heavy handed mosaics, sorry

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
On the topic of Melbourne buildings:

The Snot building, or as the owners of the building, RMIT university would rather it called, the Green brain.

That's not a bad photo either, that green bubbly stuff looks just as much like cheap plastic crap when you see it in person. It just all seems so... bizarrely pointless and incredibly tacky. Yet to meet anyone in Melbourne that doesn't hate it (or at the least have complete ambivalence towards it).

The building that seems to be next to it is actually part of the same building.

and is also a bit terrible to look at, being incredibly busy, and looking like its only half done. At least you can almost tell what they were trying for, so quarter marks I guess. As is often said, looks more like the entrance to a crappy night club then a uni.

I'll be honest though the presentation hall inside is just all out crazy enough though that I can't help but give it some respect

It does sort of feel like being inside a batman and robin movie set.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 10, 2015

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Slugnoid posted:

Reminds me a bit of the Shot Tower in Melbourne, except instead of turning the old building into a mall they built the mall around the old building..

Sort of what was done in my city.

They were going to build a decent sized mall near the center of the city and luckily enough the council of architects pressured the builders to do something more than the typical eastern Europe big box with closed spaces type of thing.
They ended up repairing/restructuring a bunch of old factory buildings, building a steel/glass shell connectign the whole space together and keeping a few houses that ended up being inside the combined space. All the old brick you see is genuine stuff, most of it 80+ years old.
I have to note that before the mall the space was run down and abandoned.

The outside of it is rather average but not too bad, the parking lot was built above a busy 3+3 lane street so it has good access and isn't wasting any space and now that they built the new arena in the river island right next to it they both use the parkign lot and both buildings kind of compliment eachother.

Knowing what could have been built there it's really a huge relief

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Poland. Create fancy design to garner local support, skimp on construction. In this case, a local planetarium.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

netally posted:

I only found out this thing existed the other day. ArcelorMittal Orbit, some sort of lovely observation tower built for the 2012 Olympics.

It looks like someone designed a regular, boring tower, but their kid scribbled all over the design randomly, so they just presented it as some cutting edge design.

It's like they tried to construct a Klein bottle or something..

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Master of Stealth posted:

They did manage to get around to renovating that library. It still looks like rear end from the sides, but overall I think it's a definite improvement. At the very least it seems less soulless.

I like to pretend the only building on that whole campus is the expertly named River Building. Still better than OttawaU campus, though.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Phoon posted:

woah man woah

e: woah

it's sick when you read a thread and see yellow from some dude quoting you when u 4got so I'm returning the favour. buildings cool

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mokotow posted:

Poland. Create fancy design to garner local support, skimp on construction. In this case, a local planetarium.

"What do you mean planetarium? I thought we were building a hardware store.."

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Frostwerks posted:

what was that brutalist highrise estate that kinda sorta collapsed in britain? like i dont think the whole thing toppled but some parts of it did

Oh god, could be any of them. They're all built of concrete, asbestos, and post war dreams.

The Trellick Tower is pretty hosed:

quote:

Serious problems exist with the existing facade system. The building was designed several years before the 1970s energy crisis, and the facade system does not manage heat at all. The facade of the tower is formed of two parts, the concrete brutalist structure, and wood and glass assembly storefront systems. Many of the original single panes of glass have been replaced either with double glazing in the existing wood frame, and plexiglass. The overall result is a minimal improvement in thermal performance. Overall the wood facade elements are warped, cracking, and do not seal well. The single layer construction bleeds heat at an appreciable rate. Further, the concrete elements bridge from the outdoors to the indoors, conducting heat from the interior to the exterior, where the concrete acts as a heat fin in a phenomenon called a Thermal bridge.

I think the Barbican Centre has been renovated a lot too:

And here's a Brutalist favourite of mine; the Alexandra Road Estate. Perfect for filming a 70s scifi movie:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mokotow posted:

What a shame. The proposed building looks nice.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

netally posted:

And here's a Brutalist favourite of mine; the Alexandra Road Estate. Perfect for filming a 70s scifi movie:

That looks like a pleasant place to live in. Reminds me of the athlete quarters built for the olympic games in Munich.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ho-lee poo poo. I used to draw so much fanart of that guy when I was in elementary school.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
On a similar note does anyone have some urban planning monstrosities? Hypothetical ones would be great. Cities: Skyline comes out in an hour and I'm looking for some inspiration for my virtual hellscape.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fajita Fiesta posted:

On a similar note does anyone have some urban planning monstrosities? Hypothetical ones would be great. Cities: Skyline comes out in an hour and I'm looking for some inspiration for my virtual hellscape.

Brazilia, perhaps? It looks quite good from the air, while it's apparently a bit of a nightmare on foot -and the original design is way undersized for the current population, for that classical simcity "nice core with random blobs on the side"-look.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All I remember about walking around the Barbican was a lot of concrete and a really drat good Indian restaurant that I could smell from the walkway.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I think raw concrete and nature goes very well together:

University of Ulm

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Computer viking posted:

Brazilia, perhaps? It looks quite good from the air, while it's apparently a bit of a nightmare on foot -and the original design is way undersized for the current population, for that classical simcity "nice core with random blobs on the side"-look.

Been there and agree. Basically, you need a car to get anywhere, even across the street. The architecture is generally impressive but the scale is not human.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

That looks like a pleasant place to live in. Reminds me of the athlete quarters built for the olympic games in Munich.

True. The little balcony gardens go a long way to making it look liveable and welcoming. I'd love to see inside one of these Brutalist homes as I often wonder how practical they are to live in.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I think raw concrete and nature goes very well together:

University of Ulm

Huh, I could have sworn that statue was in front of the Mingei art museum in San Diego.

Also without it that looks exactly like a TNG planetary establishing shot.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

netally posted:

Hah! That was used as a location in the last series of Prime Suspect.

City Nord, Hamburg. Used to house the postal service.

National Library, Buenos Aires:

Here's the Czech embassy in Berlin (affectionately nicknamed "The UFO of Prague")

This abomination is built into the center of a beautiful centuries-old picturesque and quaint old town, in Waiblingen, near Stuttgart:

Russian embassy, Havana:

Ratingen City Hall:

Nominated for best tower: Salvo Palace, Uruguay:

A hotel in Hanover:

This is in Madrid:

The Munich Schwabylon—a mall, thankfully torn down since. But that building behind it is just to die for as well!

The Okura Prestige Hotel, Bangkok, aka the high as gently caress bird-fish-cat

Ferrohaus, Zurich—I think it's some kind of clinic?

The International Congress Centre in Berlin, probably the most expensive single building in the city. Nicknamed "Noah's Ark" or "Panzerkreuzer Charlottenburg" (Panzerkreuzer = Battleship, Charlottenburg = the district it sits in). Bonus: It's completely rotten and needs to be torn down, but nobody has managed to come up with a decent plan for that yet.

Dortmund Technical University:

Jardine House, Hong Kong. A cheese grater!

Deutsche Bahn, Frankfurt:

This building is in Minsk, Belarus. It looks like it's made of moldy neapolitan ice cream.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

American Embassy in Ottawa, if the intent was to put up an ugly building that looked like it had a bunker in the roof then Mission Accomplished

• Locked thread