Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you're a real man, you'd sign up to be a civilian merc and do armed patrols for some vague reason in some country where you don't speak the language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Love the tough guy talk as a deflection. Why the gently caress would I be in Fallujah?

To prove you're a man, you Prius driving pussy. Until you have killed as many savages as Chris Kyle, you don't deserve to judge him.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

Go to Fallujah man. Teach me some liberal empathy by manning up and seeing what life is like there. Go show us how Chris Kyle was the real villain on the streets and rooftops of Fallujah then and now.

I've been to Fallujah, have you?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Panzeh posted:

Tom Berenger is way better than Bradley Cooper. Also more sequels.

There is a sequel where Tom Berenger has to go back to Vietnam. It was actually pretty decent on a number of levels.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Panzeh posted:

You're the one asking me to empathize with some asswipe like Chris Kyle. I don't have empathy for ISIS, nor do I for Chris Kyle.

Maybe you're the sociopath then?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Smoothrich posted:

You think US soldiers have a moral obligation to murder their commanding officers when they were fighting ISIS? Lmao someone should "frag" you for your posting that would be justifiable homicide probably.

As opposed to the invasion, which was 100% obviously justified and resulted in no unjustified killings.

This is what I wish the movie would have focused on, the lies people tell themselves. This is hinted at with Kyle's father when he discusses wolves, sheep dogs, and sheep. In this scenario wolves would traditionally represent an outside party of killers coming to a farm or shepherds territory. A sheep dog would be those who can kill but do so to defend the sheep from outside invaders. In this scenario, US soldiers are not sheep dogs but rather wolves. They are not defending the home front, but rather are an invading force within the movies own context. Kyle unfortunately does not seem to really grapple this reality within the movie and the only hint of it is the mention of his father.

I actually do not remember the sheepdog portion of the book (It's been a while since then), but I've definitely heard it in a lot of law enforcement/military circles as a regular thing.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Panzeh posted:

you sound like a guy who's really mad your mom isn't around to tell you you're great any more

you got that from me telling you that no one says "fragged" anymore? your psychoanalysis is on point, you fragged me bro.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Smoothrich posted:

The Iraqis were and still are killing each other more than anything. ISIS was who Chris Kyle is fighting in this movie they just had a different name but same people and leadership. They lynched immolated corpses of Blackwater fighters from a bridge and to this day force kids and women who are easily manipulated into being suicide bombers and poo poo. I don't care what happened some people are evil Iraq is full of hosed up people committing atrocities against others.

It's almost as if an extremist group that wasn't in Iraq before came in to fill a power vacuum in the wake of widescale destabilization in the region! If only we could have prevented it somehow...

This is exactly the kind of poo poo that gets used as ex post facto justification for the occupation.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Smoothrich posted:

Maybe you're the sociopath then?

I dunno Smoothrich, you are the one talking about how racism should be respected.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 8, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I dunno Smoothrich, you are the one talking about how racism should be respected.

He never said that though

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cole posted:

He never said that though

If I said some Klansman talking about "niggers" is actually referring to the criminal element in certain african-american communities, you would never take me seriously.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's almost as if an extremist group that wasn't in Iraq before came in to fill a power vacuum in the wake of widescale destabilization in the region! If only we could have prevented it somehow...

This is exactly the kind of poo poo that gets used as ex post facto justification for the occupation.

No man. They went from Iraq to Syria. Then came back when we withdrew. They respected or feared Saddam with him gone they were let off the leash. Al Quada in Iraq was their name they killed the most as the most brutal Sunni group of the most unstable region in Iraq. It's why we kept losing lives and many civilians dying in that region they are ruthless fighters who resisted us now resist the Iraqi government. It's not black and white like people talk very complicated and depressing though.

We didn't belong there but they are monstrous to their own people too. They didn't show up out of thin air.

And they weren't just resisting Americans there's always been legitimate Iraqi government forces helping us that get killed in those cities more then anyone. We are still assisting them around Fallujah as we speak in a big campaign.

Panzeh posted:

If I said some Klansman talking about "niggers" is actually referring to the criminal element in certain african-american communities, you would never take me seriously.

My father has a lot of messed up beliefs it sounded like about poor Southeast Asian people from fighting in Vietnam that he never really talks about, but when he would say a generalization it was clearly just about the people he was fighting, and the barbaric acts he experienced, that warped his perception. Maybe if he had a good discussion about those things with people who were understanding he could take a step back from his experiences and see what events and things made him think the way he does. He prob has it in his heart that tons of Vietnamese people were innocent civilians but I doubt he really interacted with them much so he doesn't think of them when he speaks of them. But this is the kind of thing they will almost never talk about unless its gently caress GOOKS or gently caress HAJIS or whatever its a more complicated feeling that can't be expressed for many reasons, because they close off those parts to themselves and others to cope. Maybe? It makes more sense to me then assuming everyone who has fought in war is a sociopath racist who wants to murder innocent children just because where they were born.

Certainly listening to Cole here sounds a little similar. That his enemies in war were doing hosed up things and made him "hate the enemy" which you know you can't even express that here without people being self righteous about how its your duty to murder your officers because there's no WMD or some ridiculous fantasy land idealistic poo poo. So no one even talks about anything that happened to begin with in a meaningful way or else the judgement is harsh and personal by civilian society. See "BABY KILLERS!" from peace-activists to Vietnam vets. Or this very thread now. A real divide between the peace protest wing and the veteran wing I think, an almost unnecessary one probably manipulated by political leaders to misdirect discontentment. Aka real propaganda that people eat up, the ones that turn them on each other instead of on those in power. Class conflict etc.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 9, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Smoothrich posted:

No man. They went from Iraq to Syria. Then came back when we withdrew. They respected or feared Saddam with him gone they were let off the leash. Al Quada in Iraq was their name they killed the most as the most brutal Sunni group of the most unstable region in Iraq. It's why we kept losing lives and many civilians dying in that region they are ruthless fighters who resisted us now resist the Iraqi government. It's not black and white like people talk very complicated and depressing though.

We didn't belong there but they are monstrous to their own people too. They didn't show up out of thin air.

And they weren't just resisting Americans there's always been legitimate Iraqi government forces helping us that get killed in those cities more then anyone. We are still assisting them around Fallujah as we speak in a big campaign.

Nope. A lot of news outlets were parroting what Cheney was pushing about "Al-Qaeda in Iraq" pre-invasion, but the Senate investigatory reports proved that those claims were bullshit. He was talking about Ansar al-Islam, which was operating in a very small region of northern Iraq and was not actually part of AQ. Ditto the lies about Zarqawi being involved with the regime before the war. Even if you want to lump al-Islam in with AQ (even though they were predominantly interested in causing problems for the Kurds), they were not a real threat. They were a very small fringe group with no ties whatsoever to Saddam. The US invasion and withdrawal is absolutely 100% to blame for the emergence of ISIS.

There are a ton of people that discuss Iraqis as if they were some strange, more violent offshoot of the human race. Big surprise, people are more violent toward each other when they lack access to basic human necessities. You want to talk PTSD? Because there's basically an entire generation of Iraqis suffering from it. Studies indicate that incidence of PTSD among children in conflict areas approaches 100%. If the US got bombed into rubble and occupied for a decade, you would be seeing the exact same poo poo.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So you think America is what made Iraqi Sunnis and Shiites not like each other and turn to ethnic cleansing at the first opportunity? Lmao very imperial world view just like the neoconservatives have. Those names are PR marketing slogans for the same people who always do the same poo poo, tribalism and all that. ISIS is a conglomeration of local Sunni tribes led by the most brutal warlords of the region. The same Sunnis that we kicked out of the military and banned from the government by ignorant Americans and opportunistic Shiites who exploited our dumb leaders' naiveté and greed.

ISIS is a loving nation state now. We tried to accomplish nation building and we accomplished it I guess. But you know American forces kept them in line that is a fact. Unfortunately the Iraqi military isn't full of Chris Kyles and other American trained professionals. Their trash morale is from many reasons but it is the reason ISIS took over.

So you gotta respect our military for standing their ground and killing when they had to and feeling no regret that would lead to routs or failure. Iraqi troops didn't believe in themselves and their missions like Chris Kyle did , they ran away, and now ISIS is in charge because they believe in their cause more with hardened troops who been at war vs America Syria Iraq etc for years themselves.

You know every soldier can be a hero in their own story that's why they fight to begin with. For Allah or money or their fellow soldiers. Ppl dehumanizing Chris Kyle and humanizing ISIS like moral relativism is progressive. Ok glory to introducing Sharia Law and immolation of heretical fellow Muslims on YouTube you know the ISIS values lol. You are an ignorant idealist my friend. Evil exists everywhere. Sunni fighters might've been just in a different world but in Iraq they fight for evil men. Tell them to overthrow ISIS ideology that would be real change.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 9, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Is this my Facebook feed?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

Is this my Facebook feed?

When people post stuff like this, I have to take a moment to appreciate my own Facebook feed.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Professional military is very important I'm not a hero worshipper you know. It reflects the power of the state and Iraq is very weak for many reasons. Many we are trying to fix and probably should be doing more since so much is our fault or a legacy of imperialism. But you conflate professionalism with sociopathy.

I wish the Iraqi army didn't break and give up half their territory to ISIS. They needed better training. There's many interconnected reasons we are in a disturbing situation in the Middle East. It's wrong to focus on specific issues instead of exploring how complex it is. And if you think saying ISIS leaders are more evil than US military vets on a whole is wrong I gotta disagree buddy.

And I'm saying Chris Kyle as being reflective of American soldiers who did their jobs very well even if the mission was wrong. But look at that place now?

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 9, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Since you've never actually served, shut the gently caress up.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I have to say, I'm with Smoothrich on this one. Chris Kyle may have been a liar, a racist, and a bad person in many ways, but he was one of our boys, goddamnit, so don't you people dare disrespect this film. Support our troops. Semper fi.

Alternately: Remember earlier in this thread when people were saying that it would be difficult to criticize this movie because any legit criticism would just be shouted down with "WHY AREN'T YOU SUPPORTING ARE TROOPS"?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Lemur Crisis posted:

I have to say, I'm with Smoothrich on this one. Chris Kyle may have been a liar, a racist, and a bad person in many ways, but he was one of our boys, goddamnit, so don't you people dare disrespect this film. Support our troops. Semper fi.

Alternately: Remember earlier in this thread when people were saying that it would be difficult to criticize this movie because any legit criticism would just be shouted down with "WHY AREN'T YOU SUPPORTING ARE TROOPS"?

I was directing my comments at Smoothrich.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Armyman25 posted:

I was directing my comments at Smoothrich.

I don't think those comments were entirely serious.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smoothrich posted:

You know every soldier can be a hero in their own story that's why they fight to begin with. For Allah or money or their fellow soldiers. Ppl dehumanizing Chris Kyle and humanizing ISIS like moral relativism is progressive. Ok glory to introducing Sharia Law and immolation of heretical fellow Muslims on YouTube you know the ISIS values lol. You are an ignorant idealist my friend. Evil exists everywhere. Sunni fighters might've been just in a different world but in Iraq they fight for evil men. Tell them to overthrow ISIS ideology that would be real change.

Glory to blowing the poo poo out of people for the crime of hitting the gas or carrying camera equipment, I guess. Better make sure everyone remembers all our Heroes(tm) in Iraq so that ten years from now we think we can do it again.

When US soldiers attacked the Mahdi Army(people now fighting ISIS in Iraq), that was heroic, right?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm not even all about the troops but people reduce complicated problems into pop culture reactionary bs over movies. American Sniper made ppl get on soap boxes and praise a ferocious Iraqi Sunni insurgency as noble savages fighting oppressors exemplified in Chris Kyle the real man not movie character being a senseless wanton sociopathic baby killer.

Then turn on the news and look shocked at ISIS imagining Bush wished them into existence like a genie in a bottle while they throw gays off rooftops legitimate atrocities in a new nation split from Iraq right where Americans were fighting and still are today that Sunni triangle.

Also all the talk about what was in his heart judging him that sound like generalizations for all soldiers like just joining the military in America is an evil act when many Americans do it for economic opportunity or something and end up in lovely situations.

You guys just get on my nerves lol but the debate I enjoy more people need to talk about Iraqi war without getting caught up on WMD crap we all already agree on. Like maybe ppl who say racist crap after a war aren't really racist just have warped perceptions from tough experiences.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
How would you define racism?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smoothrich posted:

I'm not even all about the troops but people reduce complicated problems into pop culture reactionary bs over movies. American Sniper made ppl get on soap boxes and praise a ferocious Iraqi Sunni insurgency as noble savages fighting oppressors exemplified in Chris Kyle the real man not movie character being a senseless wanton sociopathic baby killer.

Then turn on the news and look shocked at ISIS imagining Bush wished them into existence like a genie in a bottle while they throw gays off rooftops legitimate atrocities in a new nation split from Iraq right where Americans were fighting and still are today that Sunni triangle.

Also all the talk about what was in his heart judging him that sound like generalizations for all soldiers like just joining the military in America is an evil act when many Americans do it for economic opportunity or something and end up in lovely situations.

You guys just get on my nerves lol but the debate I enjoy more people need to talk about Iraqi war without getting caught up on WMD crap we all already agree on. Like maybe ppl who say racist crap after a war aren't really racist just have warped perceptions from tough experiences.

You talk about not wanting another war or whatever, but then you come here and pawn off the ideas that will get us another one. I'm fairly sure if it was 1977 or whatever you'd be on about how we were fighting Pol Pot before he came into power or something. This drawing of a link between all Sunni insurgents and ISIS is basically you trying to lionize all the vets further, to make them true heroes. I mean, I guess if you kill someone who was going to be killed by ISIS, it's a win, right?

This is exactly what happened after Vietnam, mind you. We got this idea that these were Noble Fighters who may have been in the Wrong War but goddamnit they were good people. Then people stopped giving a poo poo, and we got into Iraq.

You seem really opposed to the idea that a military might have a disproportionate amount of sociopaths, or perhaps that there were cowards, heroes, racists, anti-racists, etc. in the military. You also seem really angry that someone would criticize Chris Kyle, but criticizing Chris Kyle is basically one of the ways to make the US attitude to war different, because only in that way will we avoid Iraq again.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Many people think institutional racism where prejudice permeates into social strife and oppression. Some crazy PTSD veteran guy isn't really putting other people down when he goes on rants at a bar after a few drinks. He prob is struggling with his experiences where people of a different culture in a different part of the world all tried to kill him and his buddies for a few years.

I don't think that is the same kind of bigotry as you see in Ferguson's police force treating the locals like poo poo. I doubt the American occupation of Iraq could even get as bad as Ferguson did, though many atrocities occur by our forces going off the rails and terrorizing communities with rape and looting and stuff which is a horror of war in itself. Ferguson police force are the kind of monsters people talk up the military in Iraq as when maybe there are good comparisons or contrasts to be made there.

War is real bad should be avoided at all costs but I think creates specific conditions to really traumatize and alter a person's perception of his experiences in ways many do not communicate well. With the Old Breed I always recommend as a great memoir because Eugene Sledge seemed like a very kind gentle guy and even he was pushed to the edge through his dehumanizing experiences and saw Japanese people as monsters but was able to write an intelligent, lucid memoir of his shocking experiences 40 years later as an older wiser person about them, the kind of perspective we don't get enough of from the people go live through it.

Armyman25 don't mean to put you down or speak for you in any way if anything I'd be interested in hearing your take on your experience you haven't shared much but I don't blame anybody for getting mad at thinking I am assuming what you feel and crap. I'd also love to read some memoirs by others that you know aren't Chris Kyle hoorah ELITE KD SNIPA from people who served in Iraq, if there are any suggestions. They are very interesting since so many vets don't ever really communicate their feelings to their families and others unless they are the racist blowhard types talking about killing hajis when they are still bitter about things. Maybe in 20 years you will hear a much sadder reflective tone in people who served through Iraq but Chris Kyle never got the chance to grow as a person like that cuz he's dead in a tragic murder trying to help people and I feel real bad thinking about that too.

We don't need to reinvade Iraq over ISIS but I think using our military to provide training and logistic support when necessary with our exceptional air force to the Iraqi forces is a good use of them. We have the best in the world, using it to train other countries to secure their own cities when we caused their problems with our stupid leaders I think is smart.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 9, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The US has been providing training and logistic support for all kinds of groups over the years, let's get some articles up in this bitch showing how those worked out.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The US has been providing training and logistic support for all kinds of groups over the years, let's get some articles up in this bitch showing how those worked out.

Hey, remember that time we gave WMD's to Saddam to fight Russians, then went back later, invaded his country and killed a shitload of innocent people because he used them on people that weren't Russian?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
US-given weapons falling into the hands of people who would later use them against others that weren't the intended targets? Dumbass, stop bringing up the past... Oh...

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Smoothrich posted:

I don't think that is the same kind of bigotry as you see in Ferguson's police force treating the locals like poo poo. I doubt the American occupation of Iraq could even get as bad as Ferguson did, though many atrocities occur by our forces going off the rails and terrorizing communities with rape and looting and stuff

What the gently caress?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah USA foreign policy is always ignorant of the long term consequences. Very selfish and short sighted. Maybe cuz administrations work with four year long election cycles? Gotta get paid fast before we lose elections and get investigated! Not that opposition parties even hold each other accountable when everyone is immune to consequences. You think Cheney doing real time would've been a chance for real hope and change haha rip anti war campaign Obama.

Guy above, I meant institutional racism and hate wise. Ferguson Police were like a legit terror group of sadists with no mission no orders just selfish heartless exploitation. I bet our military is more disciplined as an organization with more internal accountability and overall directives. Both could have psychopaths but our military at least has laws and stuff even if it is largely ineffectual. Both organizations police and military need more civil oversight and accountability though.

Do you guys really want us to abandon the Iraqi people when they legit need and want our help?

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 9, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Smoothrich posted:

Do you guys really want us to abandon the Iraqi people when they legit need and want our help?

This is more like a "you break it you bought it" kind of situation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Smoothrich posted:

And if we do stay for however long it takes to clean things up, are we being heroic? Are our troops acting as heroes in that situation? This is a problem that WE started after all, should we then be taking any kind of credit for "helping" to fix it?

When our government's foreign policy puts our troops in that kind of position, they ARE making them(and we as a country) the bad guys, regardless of what any individual soldier has in his head when he is in combat. Right now in American culture we are conditioned to think that, as a whole, our troops are always innocent. If they did bad things based on orders that turned out to be wrong, well its not the troop's fault, its the government's. As citizens going about our daily lives we are blameless, even though we voted these people into office, therefore supporting their policies.

The reason we stay in Iraq is because we as a country hosed up, and it wouldn't be right to leave it to others to fix it. None of us come out as heroes in this. We have to stop spinning these conflicts into a "noble Americans fighting for freedom" story after the fact, otherwise we'll never learn any lessons and things will never change.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Smoothrich posted:

We were there for eight years and managed to gently caress up pretty much every single facet of their infrastructure, to the point where even a shitload of Iraqi refugees now think that day-to-day life was better under Saddam. We destroyed access to clean water, medical care, food, jobs, houses that aren't bombed out ruins, etc., etc., and that was just fighting against some pissant, loosely-organized insurgency.
And now you want the US to go back and fight ISIS? (Who, once again, are only there because of us in the first place!)

Smoothrich posted:

Guy above, I meant institutional racism and hate wise. Ferguson Police were like a legit terror group of sadists with no mission no orders just selfish heartless exploitation. I bet our military is more disciplined as an organization with more internal accountability and overall directives. Both could have psychopaths but our military at least has laws and stuff even if it is largely ineffectual. Both organizations police and military need more civil oversight and accountability though.

You do realize there have been literally dozens of cases of premeditated murder of Iraqi civilians, many with racist motivations, and with little to no consequences, right? The Haditha massacre, the "collateral murder" stuff in Baghdad, the leaked video of an Apache crew that made a game out of shooting obvious civilians, shooting blindfolded prisoners, planting guns on noncombatants, etc. Then you've got stuff that just got completely buried, like battalion commanders changing SOP on the fly and ordering troops to fire on anyone and everyone, including obvious noncombatants, when patrols got hit by IEDs.

Basically, we were only helping the Iraqi civilians if by "helping" you mean "destroying their country's infrastructure and murdering them in cold blood."

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Holy poo poo, please research comma use and general English punctuation before your next wall of text. Your garbled understanding of Middle Eastern and American politics is hard enough to parse already.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

That his enemies in war were doing hosed up things and made him "hate the enemy" which you know you can't even express that here without people being self righteous about how its your duty to murder your officers because there's no WMD or some ridiculous fantasy land idealistic poo poo.

Ignoring whatever Chris Kyle said about Iraqis being savages, the one single thing that makes him a 100%, undeniable piece of poo poo is that quote about sniping people in New Orleans after Katrina. Last I checked, he wasn't fighting black people in Iraq. While there's an argument (that I agree with*) to be made that the whole "Iraqis are savages" and enjoying killing stuff also makes him a bad person, it's that little fake(fortunately) story about sniping "looters" after Katrina that really cements his position as a Really Bad Person.

I don't think it necessarily makes him a sociopath (combing the facebook feed of any right-wing gun-owner is likely to result in various fantasies about gunning down "thugs"), but it definitely makes him a far less sympathetic human being.

*While I understand the "you weren't there, someone's experiences in war can make them racist" argument, there are also many people who were in the same wars and experienced the same sort of traumatic things and *didn't* end up hating (insert enemy ethnicity) people.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Ytlaya posted:

Ignoring whatever Chris Kyle said about Iraqis being savages, the one single thing that makes him a 100%, undeniable piece of poo poo is that quote about sniping people in New Orleans after Katrina. Last I checked, he wasn't fighting black people in Iraq. While there's an argument (that I agree with*) to be made that the whole "Iraqis are savages" and enjoying killing stuff also makes him a bad person, it's that little fake(fortunately) story about sniping "looters" after Katrina that really cements his position as a Really Bad Person.

I don't think it necessarily makes him a sociopath (combing the facebook feed of any right-wing gun-owner is likely to result in various fantasies about gunning down "thugs"), but it definitely makes him a far less sympathetic human being.

*While I understand the "you weren't there, someone's experiences in war can make them racist" argument, there are also many people who were in the same wars and experienced the same sort of traumatic things and *didn't* end up hating (insert enemy ethnicity) people.

This is a horrible way to look at it.

There are also people who experience war who have no symptoms of PTSD.

I guess the ones who do show symptoms are faking it because there are those that don't?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Reminded me of the skull emblem within the movie.

And it brings me back to the wolf analogy. Is the movie promoting that the US military are wolves? If not, what sheep is our hero kyle defending?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The sheep are the American people, the wolves are Al Qaeda, and the US is the sheep dog.

Also, that skit is the most tiresome bunch of poo poo. Soldiers have been using scary imagery to hype themselves up and/or intimidate their enemies since the dawn of time.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

The sheep are the American people, the wolves are Al Qaeda, and the US is the sheep dog.

The American people are perfectly safe in America though. It is not until the invasion and power vacuum created by a distracted Saddam that AQ in Iraq really had any kind of strength. The American territory lacks any kind of actual threat from Iraq.

Likewise, the imagery used is one of defense, especially in regards to land. sheep and sheep dogs move together and the sheep dogs are needed when an outside force (wolves) come in. If the sheepdog leaves the sheep to chase wolves for a few thousand miles, it's a pretty lovely dog isn't it?

The analogy seems more prevalent in the law enforcement community than military. While it's use is ultimately partly justification and partly an entitlement to violence, it at least serves better for someone who may actually have to kill someone to defend an American non-killer's life.

This analogy falls apart once your army invades a country that did not attack it under the guise of a preemptive strike. Even the basic sheep dog analogy breaks down. Sheep dogs stay with the flock until they see some poo poo, then they react, and when they do they're typically trained to ward off the threat and immediately return to the flock, never leaving it out of sight (I actually own a sheep dog and have had the pleasure of seeing this happen multiple times with your chickens and ducks). They are very territorial and do not like to leave a flock.

Armyman25 posted:

Also, that skit is the most tiresome bunch of poo poo. Soldiers have been using scary imagery to hype themselves up and/or intimidate their enemies since the dawn of time.

"Why, you could even say that violence is a final solution!"

Well lets see what they say on it's symbolism:

quote:

The story behind the Craft Skull logo combines several meaningful pieces of our founder's life and service to this great nation, but mainly honors his fallen teammates. As part of SEAL Team 3, he and his fellow teammates painted similar skulls on their gear in order to strike fear in the enemy. The crosshair symbolizes his time spent on a sniper rifle and is also in the form of a templar cross to symbolize his faith. Lastly, the crosshair is on the right eye to honor SO2 Ryan Job USN (SEAL), who was critically wounded when he was shot in the right eye while on deployment to Iraq in 2006.

In case you happen to be unfamiliar:

quote:

Officially endorsed by the Roman Catholic Church around 1129, the Order became a favoured charity throughout Christendom and grew rapidly in membership and power. Templar knights, in their distinctive white mantles with a red cross, were among the most skilled fighting units of the Crusades.

Oh great, knights from the literal crusades. Yep, just good ole' boys defending the homefront, no desire to purge the world of muslims here!

Within the movie, the skull is actually referenced directly as the Punisher skull. The comic makes an on screen appearance even. This is really loving disturbing for a number of reasons.

Here is Kyle's statement on Frank Castle from his book:

quote:

We called ourselves the Punishers.
For those of you who are not familiar with the character, the Punisher debuted in a Marvel comic book series in the 1970s. He’s a real bad-rear end who rights wrongs, delivering vigilante justice. A movie by the same name had just come out; the Punisher wore a shirt with a stylized white skull.
Our comms guy suggested it before the deployment. We all thought what the Punisher did was cool: He righted wrongs. He killed bad guys. He made wrongdoers fear him.
That’s what we were all about. So we adapted his symbol— a skull— and made it our own, with some modifications. We spray-painted it on our Hummers and body armor, and our helmets and all our guns. And we spray-painted it on every building or wall we could. We wanted people to know, We’re here and we want to gently caress with you.

You see us? We’re the people kicking your rear end. Fear us. Because we will kill you, motherfucker.
You are bad. We are badder. We are bad-rear end.

Literally Chris Kyle saying "We are the bad guys" like the sketch as he promotes acting like an actual home grown street gang, tagging the world with promises of future violence. Marking his territory like a wolf.

The Punisher is actually a complete loving psycho and that is not a liberal view of it, it is the view held by almost every fictional character in the Marvel Universe. Captain America (more imagery) aligns himself with the Punisher in Civil War, and considers it to have been such a mistake that he actually realizes how low he has sunk and gives up. Pretty much any time someone has to team up with Punisher it is terrifying for them because his answer is to kill the world.

mugrim fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 11, 2015

• Locked thread