Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Picked up Betrayer yesterday, digging it so far aside from a couple of "oh come on" moments ("I built three," Angron pulling a Superman on the Titan), it's overall quite good. Though, maybe it's just me, but I don't remember anyone making a big deal about the Word Bearers having a massive ship in Know No Fear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

Picked up Betrayer yesterday, digging it so far aside from a couple of "oh come on" moments ("I built three," Angron pulling a Superman on the Titan), it's overall quite good. Though, maybe it's just me, but I don't remember anyone making a big deal about the Word Bearers having a massive ship in Know No Fear?

The first massive ship mentioned was featured in the masterpiece Battle For The Abyss, and Betrayer spends a fair bit of time retroactively meta-making GBS threads on that terrible book by having Lorgar say 'yeah, that ship didn't matter at all because I have more, plus everyone on the Abyss was a big rear end in a top hat dummy. Suck it Ben Counter' [citation needed].

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh, Ben Counter? No wonder. I read Soul Drinker back when it first came out and then vowed never to touch anything by him ever again.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Do space marines have genitals? Everything I've read so far seems to indicate that they do not.

The complete lack of interest in women not-withstanding. I've never seen a reference to one using a bathroom. Or seen any mention of bathroom aboard any of their ships.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Zephyrine posted:

Do space marines have genitals? Everything I've read so far seems to indicate that they do not.

The complete lack of interest in women not-withstanding. I've never seen a reference to one using a bathroom. Or seen any mention of bathroom aboard any of their ships.

In Brothers of the Snake a strapping young Marine gives his human guide a cup of his reprocessed pee.

I feel like there are almost certainly discussions of urine somewhere in a Space Wolves book.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

You've also never seen anyone use the bathroom, or talk about one, in Star Wars. This does not mean that Luke Skywalker does not have a dong. It means that no one cares about how people in a galaxy far far away use the bathroom because it doesn't matter.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

PantsOptional posted:

You've also never seen anyone use the bathroom, or talk about one, in Star Wars. This does not mean that Luke Skywalker does not have a dong. It means that no one cares about how people in a galaxy far far away use the bathroom because it doesn't matter.

Space marines poo poo skulls.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Well sure, there's a reason they call it the skull throne after all.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zephyrine posted:

Of course they do. It's been mentioned they are all chemically castrated though. Their armor recycles their waste - why would you even need a mention of a bathroom in your fiction? Most of the books I've read in my life don't say a thing about a character going to the bathroom... "You know, the fact that the author didn't write his main character making a regular bowel movement really took me out of the story."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

^^beaten because I spent too much time trying to verify that I didn't just make this up.

Power armor recycles the Astartes body waste into a nutrient paste. Basically they eat and drink their own repurposed poo poo and piss when they're on extended campaigns that don't allow them to get nourishment by some other means.

:nexus::vomarine:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

AndyElusive posted:

^^beaten because I spent too much time trying to verify that I didn't just make this up.

Power armor recycles the Astartes body waste into a nutrient paste. Basically they eat and drink their own repurposed poo poo and piss when they're on extended campaigns that don't allow them to get nourishment by some other means.

Just like stillsuits.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Space Marines can drink fuel, in comparison eating their own poo poo is like caviar.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sulecrist posted:

In Brothers of the Snake a strapping young Marine gives his human guide a cup of his reprocessed pee.

I feel like there are almost certainly discussions of urine somewhere in a Space Wolves book.

I'm pretty sure that was the salt water from their homeworld that they all carry around, not a cup of pee-water.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Space Marines can drink fuel

what's the MPG of a space man

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Killstick posted:

what's the MPG of a space man
Pretty good since he can just recycle his fuel-pee.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

PantsOptional posted:

To be fair. The "mortal" humans are referenced constantly in this regard. Even in odd places like that administrator who peed himself from fear when he caught Fulgrim dancing around wearing only a loincloth. Hilarious scene by the way.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Angry Lobster posted:

Space Marines can drink fuel, in comparison eating their own poo poo is like caviar.

Although they don't even really eat stuff either in battle, they pop stuff into little slots in their armour that eats it for them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Arquinsiel posted:

Pretty good since he can just recycle his fuel-pee.

I would imagine that rather stings on the way out.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Although they don't even really eat stuff either in battle, they pop stuff into little slots in their armour that eats it for them.

Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7TY9t0VBxU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I would imagine that rather stings on the way out.
Helps keep the righteous fury going.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

How does that even work? How do they even cram that much technology into a suit that still fits?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Magic and distilled :black101:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

How does that even work? How do they even cram that much technology into a suit that still fits?

To quote Horus, "...the warp." :iit:

Also, Ciaphas Cain is fun. I'm reading "For The Emperor" at the moment, and he's such a weaselly little turd it is actually kinda wonderful. It's not funny though, unlike Space Marine or the messages at the start of the last Eisenhorn book, those had me in tears laughing.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 10, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's why the backside portion of power armour is so large

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skarsnik posted:

That's why the backside portion of power armour is so large

Also the shoulders.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

The Emperor's Gift by ADB does sorta bring that up at one point.

The Emperor's Gift pg 533 posted:

On more than one occasion I’d stood with her and her warband in the communal showers after training, blind and numb to any sensation of desire, watching her wash her hair and listening to her speak of serving in the sweltering jungles of Voroxis, killing heretics who spilled from a downed rogue trader vessel. Bizarrely, the Khatan had declared, upon seeing me wash myself, that my ascension to knighthood was ‘a great shame’.

It also brings up the whole not being able to feel aroused thing as well.

The Emperor's Gift pg 59 posted:

Stripped of her wargear and symbols of authority, she was clad in high boots and a black bodyglove undersuit. It clung to her figure with a tension that approached tenacity. My training had torn away the capacity to feel biological desire, but it was still pleasant to watch the ruthlessly feminine grace in the play of her muscles.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
50 Shades of Grey Knights

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Hyperion was the first time I was sad a character became a Space Marine. It's kind of a poo poo life.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Zephyrine posted:

I am just going to go ahead and vote the thread name get changed to "The Black Library: Do Space Marine's have genitals?? And other important questions." because this question seems to come up way to often.

Arbite posted:

Hyperion was the first time I was sad a character became a Space Marine. It's kind of a poo poo life.

That is why when Space Marines go bad, they go bad in a big way, because now they have a superhuman body that allows them to indulge in all the normal human pleasures on an insane level.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 11, 2015

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Uroboros posted:

I am just going to go ahead and vote the thread name get changed to "The Black Library: Do Space Marine's have genitals?? And other important questions." because this question seems to come up way to often.

That is why when Space Marines go bad, they go bad in a big way, because now they have a superhuman body that allows them to indulge in all the normal human pleasures on an insane level.

At least most of the other Chaos Marines aren't too bad in such a way. Evil as hell, but just crazy for blood, collecting skulls, bloated and oozing with diseases, etc. The ones like the Emperor's Children are the ones willing to create a great big orgy fuckpile, and that's perhaps the most tame and boring thing they'd do. They really just want to experience any and all sensations to their most extremes.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Zephyrine posted:

To be fair. The "mortal" humans are referenced constantly in this regard. Even in odd places like that administrator who peed himself from fear when he caught Fulgrim dancing around wearing only a loincloth. Hilarious scene by the way.

If memory serves, Fulgrim's painting was "enhanced" with human fluids of all sorts in a rather graphic manner.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I saw someone making a Batalion of Rape Marines with green stuff dongs and all, I'm not searching for the pictures at work though.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

The Rat posted:

It's somehow hilarious to me that Helsreach would be described as "lighter." I mean, I understand it within the context relative to what it's being compared to, but drat that's still pretty hilarious somehow.

See if you can find the follow-up short story to Helsreach and read it right after.

I made the assumption that Helsreach was lighter about 50 pages into it, now that I've finished it definitely was heavier than I was expecting. However, compared to the first Word Bearer book and seeing the corruption of that world and its inhabitants, it seemed whimsical in comparison. Working on Hero of the Imperium now, and that is much more lighthearted than anything I've read in the past month.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cooked Auto posted:

There's another part where he mentions establishing telepathic connection with someone while she was having sex and feeling scared and repulsed by it and withdrawing, like a 4 year old intruding on his parents.

ADB really gets the "child's idea of strength, child's understanding of people" aspect to the space marines. Though someone in this thread phrased it even better a while back, something about the how the ideal super soldier translates to something something something emotionally stunted man child, the last thing the military would want. Wish I could find that quote again.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

There's another part where he mentions establishing telepathic connection with someone while she was having sex and feeling scared and repulsed by it and withdrawing, like a 4 year old intruding on his parents.

ADB really gets the "child's idea of strength, child's understanding of people" aspect to the space marines. Though someone in this thread phrased it even better a while back, something about the how the ideal super soldier translates to something something something emotionally stunted man child, the last thing the military would want. Wish I could find that quote again.

Weren't some space marines recruited from among the civilian population?

I've read references to "recruitment worlds" and characters who took a test to become space marines and failed.

Space Marines work because there's always been war and will always be war in the world they live in.

In our world soldiers can't be crated between conflicts. We actually have to put them back into the civilian population.

I read a documentary many years ago about the slow and subtle rehabilitation that the British SAS uses to gradually prepare veterans for civilian life and the process takes years.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

I've read references to "recruitment worlds" and characters who took a test to become space marines and failed.

Almost every Chapter has some sort of world that they go to in order to select candidates for recruitment, and these worlds are often Death or Feral Worlds (which are exactly as pleasant as they sound). The "test" is usually some sort of nightmarish hell-crawl through an actively hostile landscape filled with terrifying creatures and absurd hazards, or a series of brutal gladiatorial matches against your fellow candidates, or some similarly ridiculous test of a warrior's strength/endurance/cunning.

Also, the candidates are all ten year old boys.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Making them stand around in the cold always seems a popular one too

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Any idea what the SAS documentary was

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Zephyrine posted:

Space Marines work because there's always been war and will always be war in the world they live in.

In our world soldiers can't be crated between conflicts. We actually have to put them back into the civilian population.

I read a documentary many years ago about the slow and subtle rehabilitation that the British SAS uses to gradually prepare veterans for civilian life and the process takes years.

I would love to see that documentary if you have a title. When I got out I just got 5 days of training about writing a resume, filing for benefits, how to interview, how to find an interview suit/dress, and the importance of not using "gently caress" like a coma anymore. And this was a few weeks before I shipped out for another 5 months because id be deployed at my EAOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PantsOptional posted:

Almost every Chapter has some sort of world that they go to in order to select candidates for recruitment, and these worlds are often Death or Feral Worlds (which are exactly as pleasant as they sound). The "test" is usually some sort of nightmarish hell-crawl through an actively hostile landscape filled with terrifying creatures and absurd hazards, or a series of brutal gladiatorial matches against your fellow candidates, or some similarly ridiculous test of a warrior's strength/endurance/cunning.

Also, the candidates are all ten year old boys.

Hive Worlds are another popular one, where it's a cyberpunk gangland hell on the lowest levels and the meanest ten-year-olds are taken as Marine aspirants. Other gangs/crime syndicates are simply conscripted en masse as Imperial Guard regiments.