Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.gamersedition.com/product/hotline-miami

$60 Hotline Miami 1&2 ultimate collector's edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The most concerning thing that PC Gamer review brings up (for me at least): The gameplay being restricted by your character so frequently, taking away the freeform choices that made the first game so great.

Yeah this is the thing that makes me the most hesitant. I was fine with four Helmet missions at the end but various levels interspersed throughout the game with variations on that theme sound daunting when you just want to smash faces with a golf club.

e: I adore that pause menu.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I bought the normal Hotline Miami 2, can I trade it back to get the deluxe addition to get the Payday 2 content?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Reviews are mixed because game reviewers are completely lukewarm and milquetoast and can't loving commit to an opinion without backpedaling so hard back and forth that they ultimately just stay in one place. My game's bought (twice, I'll have a spare copy with the vinyl soundtrack I just ordered) so I'll see firsthand when it drops in a few hours.

The only backlash I'm seeing so far is from people who for some reason expected a totally different game. The game I'm seeing described in the "bad" reviews is the exact same game I expected to get. I knew there would be more story, I knew there would be more characters with gimmicks that make the gameplay trickier, I knew it would be longer. We all knew this because we were all following the previews, I guess those reviewers weren't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fat_Cow posted:

I bought the normal Hotline Miami 2, can I trade it back to get the deluxe addition to get the Payday 2 content?

explosivo posted:

I just realized the free Payday 2 Jacket character only comes with the digital deluxe edition, and I already preordered the normal one. I'm kind of screwed if I changed my mind post-purchase, aren't I?

Edit: Hmm, apparently Steam might actually refund the original one according to their support page if I buy the deluxe now and create a support ticket.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

King Vidiot posted:

Reviews are mixed because game reviewers are completely lukewarm and milquetoast and can't loving commit to an opinion without backpedaling so hard back and forth that they ultimately just stay in one place.

And probably because HM's creators haven't paid for a 90+ review.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Support ticket that poo poo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Reviews aren't critical analysis, they're more like consumer evaluations, so it really doesn't matter if PC Gamer doesn't like it, because in a couple of hours the game will unlock and I'll be able to judge it for myself.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Normally yes but this game is like 200MB. Its per-developer / per-game and it looks like Hotline didn't set it up. But again, its gonna be a tiny download.

Ok thanks, I thought that might be the case since it's not a huge game.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm trying not to spoil the game reading the reviews, but the little blurbs I've been seeing all seem positive. Yeah the first game is a tough act to follow, but if they didn't change something people would say it's just a rehash. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this game, gently caress the haters.

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine
Does PSN usually update the store for stuff like this at reasonable hours? Like would it come out in 30 minutes?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

does anyone seriously really expect this game to get bad reviews, it's like all solid 9s across the board. HM really only falls into camps of you like it or hate it and more people like it than not. you like the first one you'll like this one which looks like more of the same

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Here's hoping after you beat it or maybe they patch it levels will become character independent if that's a thing. Regardless I'm not reading reviews because I want to go into this completely clean and come out crimson soaked, panting and maniacally grinning for more.

Hotline Miami was a game made for me.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

weekly font posted:

Yeah this is the thing that makes me the most hesitant. I was fine with four Helmet missions at the end but various levels interspersed throughout the game with variations on that theme sound daunting when you just want to smash faces with a golf club.

I'm a little concerned about the enforced playstyles, but for now the level editor is still there in my mind to allow for freeform play down the line.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I actually don't mind the enforced playstyles that much. I really liked biker's levels in the first game because of how they made you work with your limitations.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Well so much for my "no more loving pre-ordering" rule...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought that the plot in the first one was fine, I definitely didn't feel like it was the focus of the game though and that if anything the slight mindfuckery contributed to the game and meshed well with the stylish art and music, reading a more in depth analysis of the plot itt was fun but it definitely wasn't anything that preoccupied me as I was smashing heads and tapping my foot rhythmically playing the first one. Well, we'll find out soon enough I guess!

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Well so much for my "no more loving pre-ordering" rule...

Preordering now just means you get a refund, since the reviews are out. That's no big deal.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

More review scores are out. 90 from destructoid, 88 from ign, 85 from game informer, 85 from polygon. Guess those first few were flukes? Game reviews are weird.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there no pre-loading on Steam? I suppose it probably isn't a big game, but still...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You could have completely removed all the story elements from the first game and it'd still be really good, which ideally every game with story should do, especially a short one. I really hope there's no mid-level prompts or whatever. The level with the green jumpsuit guy vacuuming in a closed off room is legitimately annoying if you aren't planning to just slam through the front door.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Reviews aren't critical analysis, they're more like consumer evaluations, so it really doesn't matter if PC Gamer doesn't like it, because in a couple of hours the game will unlock and I'll be able to judge it for myself.

Treat videogame reviews as rotten tomatoes ratings, not as absolute artistic value or merit.

If a game gets a 40%, that doesn't mean its necessarily a bad game, it just means that around 40% of people will think its cool while a mainstream game that gets a 90% just means that more people are going to like it. Those people could be totally wrong :colbert:

But yeah if you let videogame reviews make up your decisions for you then ... well, that's stupid.

Game looks like exactly what I expected.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Is there no pre-loading on Steam? I suppose it probably isn't a big game, but still...

FFS

null posted:

Is there any way to preload on Steam?

Zaphod42 posted:

Normally yes but this game is like 200MB. Its per-developer / per-game and it looks like Hotline didn't set it up. But again, its gonna be a tiny download.

null posted:

Ok thanks, I thought that might be the case since it's not a huge game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The footprint for HM1 on Steam is 1205 mb. Was it always that big or it is because of the engine change?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 10, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zaphod42 posted:

Treat videogame reviews as rotten tomatoes ratings, not as absolute artistic value or merit.

If a game gets a 40%, that doesn't mean its necessarily a bad game, it just means that around 40% of people will think its cool while a mainstream game that gets a 90% just means that more people are going to like it. Those people could be totally wrong :colbert:

But yeah if you let videogame reviews make up your decisions for you then ... well, that's stupid.

Game looks like exactly what I expected.

If you trust reviews for much, in any medium, you are doing it wrong. Reviewing has become way more about "this is the plot and why I liked it bleep bloop" so you don't have to form your own opinion as opposed to any sort of meaningful criticism (most of the time).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The footprint for HM1 on Steam is 1205 mb. Was it always that big or it is because of the engine change?

Mine's half that, mostly the music files and HotlineMiamiGL.wad

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Reading reviews I'm glad that they didn't go for the lowest common denominator now that Hotline Miami is popular.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The most concerning thing that PC Gamer review brings up (for me at least): The gameplay being restricted by your character so frequently, taking away the freeform choices that made the first game so great.

"Freeform choice."

How many people used more then 3-4 masks?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

weekly font posted:

If you trust reviews for much, in any medium, you are doing it wrong. Reviewing has become way more about "this is the plot and why I liked it bleep bloop" so you don't have to form your own opinion as opposed to any sort of meaningful criticism (most of the time).

Plus there's always doritospope.

Anatharon posted:

Reading reviews I'm glad that they didn't go for the lowest common denominator now that Hotline Miami is popular.

"Freeform choice."

Yeah I used Dennis and George the whole game. What about you guys?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Browsing Steam, "Oh yeah Hotline Miami 2, that's out soon isn't i OH TODAY WELP" *bought*

Don't know poo poo about it other than it's a video game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Here is all you need to know about Hotline Miami.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti60ukZHNNs

It has music. It has animals.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

weekly font posted:

Critics just don't understand the hidden genius of all the terrible poo poo I consume.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Games journalism is poo poo and it's been poo poo for more than a decade. Why is this still surprising people?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

Games journalism is poo poo and it's been poo poo for more than a decade. Why is this still surprising people?

HAS GAMERGATE NOT TAUGHT US ANYTHING???! :argh:

Zaphod42 posted:

I made a point of using every mask, but I always used Tony or Graham/Brandon for my first playthrough, Carl or Zack for score and Nigel or Jones for fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Graham for life.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Terper posted:

Browsing Steam, "Oh yeah Hotline Miami 2, that's out soon isn't i OH TODAY WELP" *bought*

Don't know poo poo about it other than it's a video game.

Do you like hurting people?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Hotline Miami 2 is the Dark Souls of Top Down Murder Simulators

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Anatharon posted:

"Freeform choice."

The review specifically points out large parts of the game where you can't pick up certain weapons. That's what I mean by freeform, the part of the game where you can approach a level in multiple ways and use every tool available.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

Graham for life.

Bitch for life, more like. Upgrade to Brandon.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Do you know what time it is ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Do you like hurting people?

Well I mean I played the first one and impulse bought the second, so evidently.

• Locked thread