Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Most of our decorations are sad and unfinished :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

bhsman posted:

I guess technically there are some positive aspects to Lee as a historical figure but it is likely lost on anyone putting up a painting of him in a frat house.

Gonna say that Lee has a number of redeeming values (especially post the civil war), and he was a fine Virginian. Just sorta chose the wrong side of history on that one, but his choice was based more in the actual states rights component of it than the slavery side. Of the Civil War bigwigs you could choose to worship as a spirit animal Lee is about as positive as it gets for a confederate.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Gonna say that Lee has a number of redeeming values (especially post the civil war), and he was a fine Virginian. Just sorta chose the wrong side of history on that one, but his choice was based more in the actual states rights component of it than the slavery side. Of the Civil War bigwigs you could choose to worship as a spirit animal Lee is about as positive as it gets for a confederate.

What state right was it they were fighting for?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The cafeteria area at the Mizzou bookstore is dedicated to noted non-traitorous soldier Beetle Bailey

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'll never understand the south and their obsession with holding onto history of them losing over something that's been proven to be wrong.

MourningView posted:

mostly that he got his hillbilly rear end whooped like a chump

:sherman:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
We have a statue of a brain, it's not a good statue

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

seiferguy posted:

I'll never understand the south and their obsession with holding onto history of them losing over something that's been proven to be wrong.

Andrew Johnson loving up Reconstruction, basically.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
We also had a dope rear end statue of Abraham and Isaac and the university turned it down because our university is historically led by absolute cowards and it ended up at Princeton.

Statue not good enough for Kent State, good enough for Princeton.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

seiferguy posted:

:sherman:

It's like Superbowl XL

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa has a statue of Nile Kinnick who was much better at football than any confederate loser. About equally bad at war though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

JonathonSpectre posted:

Well , you see, it's really important that we continue to fly the banner of traitorous, slave-holding scum because

What's hosed up is that when it was flying above the statehouse (underneath the US flag and state flag), it was actually naval banner (and army of Virginia flag) that gained popularity during the 1950s, pretty much as a hostile response to the civil rights movement.

The one that is now on the Confederate Monument on the state house grounds is at least a historically accurate flag that was actually used by the confederacy on a more common basis.

Do we have Klan version of :eng101: ?

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 10, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

That Works posted:

It's like Superbowl XL

I haven't heard that phrase since 2013, thank you very much :haw:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Neil Armbong posted:

What state right was it they were fighting for?

Literally the colonial pre THE United States concept of a state (A United States), in that he felt the federal government did not have the right to restrict the states from cedeeding,because he believed them to be independent entities that had the right to choose to no longer participate in a federal system of government. Attitudes about what a state and what the US meant were very different 90 years after the Revolutionary War in comparison to how we consider them now. Lee very much considered himself a Virginian not an American the way we would largely think of ourselves, and so when he was asked to fight for VA the choice between his "home" and the "country" he chose to support his home.

That put him in with the folks all for Slavery, but Lee was less enthralled with upholding that than he was with defending the rights of his home to choose not to be part of this new fangled country. They lost and now it's well accepted that the states are below the federal government not an equal that can leave when they want.

The confederates are imo not quite as reprehensible as say the Nazis in terms of historical villains because while they were fighting to continue engaging in a barbaric practice there were lots of folks in the war on both sides that had split opinions about what should be done to resolve the issues facing them. There was far less consensus and so I think a lot more grey area to consider their actions in. In terms of groups we tend to demonize from the past.

e: Ultimately I do feel the civil war is both a war about the rights of states vs the federal government, and it was also about defending the economic system the south enjoyed supported and made possible by slavery. It's not wholly about one or the other alone, so anyone that says it wasn't about slavery is loving moron. I really enjoy Civil War history because i feel its the first major moment in defining the country as it exists today, it's a very complex and interesting conflict that was about more than just the slavery issue.

/end History

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 10, 2015

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
The South: Not As Bad As The Nazis

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

What's hosed up is that when it was flying above the statehouse (underneath the US flag and state flag), it was actually naval banner (and army of Virginia flag) that gained popularity during the 1950s, pretty much as a hostile response to the civil rights movement.

The one that is now on the Confederate Monument on the state house grounds is at least a historically accurate flag that was actually used by the confederacy on a more common basis.

Do we have Klan version of :eng101: ?

It's also hilarious because the flag went from being so high up it was only sorta visible to basically being right smack dab in the middle of the front yard. Progress, South Carolina style.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RumbleFish posted:

Until this season, it hurt our women's basketball team a lot because under the boycott's rules, we're not allowed to host any kind of postseason tournament in which the host cities are chosen by the NCAA. This doesn't apply to tournaments that use merit to determine host sites, so that's why baseball has always been able to host and now the women can, too.

However, we built our huge, fancy basketball arena in large part to host NCAA regionals and it'll literally never happen unless the boycott is dropped or the flag moves off statehouse grounds and into a museum. You can guess which is the more likely of these scenarios.

Anyway, I had only just moved to SC when the flag stuff went down, so I don't know how that affected football recruiting for USC/Clemson, if at all. Columbia certainly continues to hurt itself with it.

Presumably Greenville is hurt too, seeing how the Bi-Lo center hosted NCAA games right before the boycott.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh my god shut the gently caress up about What The Civil War Was Really About or I will shoot this entire thread into the sun you loving goobers.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 10, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Oh my god shut the gently caress up about What The Civil War was really about or I will shoot this entire thread into the sun you loving goobers.

No bullshit--20-something year old men in modern South Carolina will unironically argue with you about the causes of the "War of Northern Aggression."

Simultaneously depressing and hilarious.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Eric Striker went in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAL3jCnf4kI

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Civil War is the subtext of basically any concept of regional pride in college football. I think that it's fair to say in many senses that if there's no Civil War, there's no college football as we know it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Frackie Robinson posted:

The Civil War is the subtext of basically any concept of regional pride in college football. I think that it's fair to say in many senses that if there's no Civil War, there's no college football as we know it.

Something something football is a game of territory something whatever.

Football is full of absurdity whether its comedic or impressive. The south/ north tensions made corporeal in the game is infinitesimal as a "pride" factor. There are tons of regional hatreds that have no roots at all in the civil war.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Could the North field enough quality teams to secede from the NCAA

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Quest For Glory II posted:

North and West maybe. The interesting thing would be to see where the Big XII would go. Texas is neither South nor West. Oklahoma and Kansas are more South in mindset these days.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

The North can barely field enough teams to make one embarrassing P5 conference.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

OU people gettin' expelled

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh, you...

:allears:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm sorry, is this someone taking a cellphone video of another person's cell phone video? What?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

Remember when people used to get expelled to Oklahoma?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

pillsburysoldier posted:

This is pretty fuckin awesome. I've never seen someone be so bold-as-hell about saying "nah gently caress this racism bullshit". Dude is like a 70 year old white dude and he signs his tweets DBo.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

Texas is neither South nor West.

Texas is simply Texas. It has no other designation.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Remember like earlier on this page where Texas has statues of Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee

It's pretty clear which side they're on now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

mostly that he got his hillbilly rear end whooped like a chump

He was a city boy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A&M asked Jefferson Davis to be its first president but he turned us down.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lee's father in law was George Washingtons stepson proving that it's not what you do, it's who you know, even when it comes to treason

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

Lee's father in law was George Washingtons stepson proving that it's not what you do, it's who you know, even when it comes to treason

Really what difference is there between Washington and Lee other than the W-L record?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Frackie Robinson posted:

Really what difference is there between Washington and Lee other than the W-L record?

Well, Lee was fertile and had friends outside of Europe.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Which was more clutch though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Which was more clutch though

Washington's got the *ringz*. I feel like his closest analogue would be Pete Carroll, Lee would be maybe Tony Dungy or something.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

Washington's got the *ringz*. I feel like his closest analogue would be Pete Carroll, Lee would be maybe Tony Dungy or something.

Dungy is a good comparison, both had disasters against Pennsylvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

pathetic little tramp posted:

This is pretty fuckin awesome. I've never seen someone be so bold-as-hell about saying "nah gently caress this racism bullshit". Dude is like a 70 year old white dude and he signs his tweets DBo.

Go all in

• Locked thread