Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GoutPatrol posted:

Azban mirror. Your Rhinos and Rocs now kill theirs.

It also makes Caryatid and Coursers effectively 3/3 and 4/4 respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

You'd think Avatar is great for MonoG or GR but those decks want to play a Caryatid or a Voyaging Satyr on T2. I'm not sure...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

Yeah that's a Portal level of :shepface: reminder text right there.

Please note: I'm not saying that it isn't necessary. :v:
Yeah, after getting into an argument a while back about Meddling Mage (no, if you name Lightning Bolt and I Terminate it, I am in fact allowed to play my 3 bolts again!), it's definitely necessary.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

I think he was talking about stuff that doesn't see Eternal play. Otherwise, I think, we can add Brimaz to that list (I'm not sure what his pre-order price was).

A fair point. But now that you mention it, has anything (eternal cards INCLUDED) broken the $25 mark at all? The last cards I can think of are from innistrad block.

Is that a function of time? Will things from RtR block go up to $30+ in another set or two?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

deftest posted:

A fair point. But now that you mention it, has anything (eternal cards INCLUDED) broken the $25 mark at all? The last cards I can think of are from innistrad block.

Is that a function of time? Will things from RtR block go up to $30+ in another set or two?

Yes, because the set will no longer be opened and there will be people wanting cards from it that they don't have.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's too bad that Butt Party wasn't in Khans it would have been a super cool draft-around-me rare with stuff like Disowned Ancestor, the 0/5 and 0/6 blue morphs, Archer's Parapet, Sage-Eye Harrier, Sagu Archer, Dazzling Ramparts, etc. FRF has basically no walls, or any creatures at all with <3 power and >4 toughness execpt that one crappy black 2/6, and we've seen nothing good to go with it in Dragons so far. Still lots of commons left to spoil though, so fingers crossed.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That avatar is neat.

Doran as an enchantment, also neat. I'm all for making combat math awkward.

Those zombie tokens, though. :swoon:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

deftest posted:

Elyv posted:

Yes, because the set will no longer be opened and there will be people wanting cards from it that they don't have.

It'll take a while though. The only things I can think of that will get there are Shock-Lands and Voice of Resurgence.

And Voice will probably hit $30 before (a majority of) the Shocks even hit $20 (Steam vents is currently ~$13 Mid).

E: How did I forget Abrupt Decay? :doh: Probably because I don't play those colors. :v:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 10, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

deftest posted:

Abrupt Decay will end up at $30 in a couple years if there is no reprint. It is THE removal card for G/B/x decks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Those zombie tokens look like the offspring of Theros block Returned and that rear end in a top hat Dragonborn guy from the Skyrim DLC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

I'm at an absolute loss of what to do with it, but I think this is a good card.

And this is definitely good somewhere.

You throw it in the wall tribal deck that this card is seeded for when it comes out in Return to Zendikar

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

It's too bad that Butt Party wasn't in Khans it would have been a super cool draft-around-me rare with stuff like Disowned Ancestor, the 0/5 and 0/6 blue morphs, Archer's Parapet, Sage-Eye Harrier, Sagu Archer, Dazzling Ramparts, etc. FRF has basically no walls, or any creatures at all with <3 power and >4 toughness execpt that one crappy black 2/6, and we've seen nothing good to go with it in Dragons so far. Still lots of commons left to spoil though, so fingers crossed.

I feel like the real loss is that butt party isn't a creature cuz thats what made it really good the first time around.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You throw it in the wall tribal deck that this card is seeded for when it comes out in Return to Zendikar

Pretty sure you mean treefolk tribal in Lorwyn 2.22: You Will (not) Return.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Now that I think about it, that Doran's Butt Party enchantment makes basically every creature in Abzan beat your opponent's copy in the mirror. And that's without even taking the firebreathing into consideration.

Now I want to brew some goofy deck with Sylvan Caryatids, Coursers, Nyx-Fleece Rams, Walls of Frost, Triton Tactics and Sigiled Starfish.

The problem is that if you don't draw your enchantment your deck does nothing.

e: Jeskai Barricade!

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 10, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Does it not do anything or does it do nothing tho?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zoness posted:

Does it not do anything or does it do nothing tho?

The former, sadly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

Now I want to brew some goofy deck with Sylvan Caryatids, Coursers, Nyx-Fleece Rams, Walls of Frost, Triton Tactics and Sigiled Starfish.

Just throw some Rhinos in there

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want a Wall of Blossoms reprint so bad now.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

I want a Wall of Blossoms reprint so bad now.

I'd rather have Wall of Omens :colbert:.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'd prefer Wall of Shards personally. 8 in the air by turn 3? Yes please.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
How about Wall of Denial or a functional reprint because of shroud?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

YeehawMcKickass posted:

How about Wall of Denial or a functional reprint because of shroud?

wall of denial owned, that card was easily my favorite before wall of omens was printed

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I'd almost start sketching out a wall deck for modern, except I seemed to forget that Rolling Stones exists.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Entropic posted:

It doesn't actually do anything, but it does gum up the board until you can start swinging. And you have anticipate to dig for the enchantment.

It's going to be a really stupid deck and I'm going to play the poo poo out of it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Boxman posted:

It doesn't actually do anything, but it does gum up the board until you can start swinging.

What I meant is that it does nothing on its own. You're spending a card to make your other cards way better, but by itself it does literally nothing. Like compare it to Doran as topdeck after a complete board wipe.

The other thing it has going against it is that it doesn't meaningfully stack in multiples. You want 4 in your deck to make sure you draw it, but two in your opening hand is basically a mulligan other than having a backup in case of enchantment removal.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 10, 2015

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Considering I just put together Modern Green Stompy and was excited to slam Garruk's Companion in there, I am quite excited to see a Garruk's Companion that gets a +1 counter off of an Experiment One.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

InterrupterJones posted:

I'd almost start sketching out a wall deck for modern, except I seemed to forget that Rolling Stones exists.

The problem is that most walls have very little power, making attacking with them unprofitable most of the time.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

:c00lbutt: Twerk-off :yosbutt: championship! :tutbutt:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Boco_T posted:

Considering I just put together Modern Green Stompy and was excited to slam Garruk's Companion in there, I am quite excited to see a Garruk's Companion that gets a +1 counter off of an Experiment One.

This does not interact with X1 the way you hope it does.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This does not interact with X1 the way you hope it does.
On turn 2, of course, I meant more on turn 3-4. Also works with Strangleroot Geist, and even the Scavenging Ooze and Young Wolf that some versions of the deck run.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

Rolling Stones needs Doran to be uh "playable", the new Enchant is both in one! Put all 3 in the deck for redundancy, you'll be unbeatable :downs:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

This guy's gonna be mad when he gets his photos developed and realizes his head is out of the frame.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

I like this. Good in early game, useful in late game. I may just abandon my Mardu Warriors tribal thing just for more aggro-y creatures that are good on their own accord.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mercury Crusader posted:

I like this. Good in early game, useful in late game. I may just abandon my Mardu Warriors tribal thing just for more aggro-y creatures that are good on their own accord.

I like this one a lot, but I don't think you want to cast any of them face up-- pikers are just not impressive in this Standard-- and while I am a fan of the extremely cheap Megamorph cost on this I don't think you particularly want to cast it face down either. A 4-mana 3/2 that might sometimes draw you a card is not really what aggressive red decks want to be doing. The green and white ones both provide value because you can manifest them off of Whisperwood Elementals or Mastery of the Unseens and then they provide card advantage for cheap.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I like this one a lot, but I don't think you want to cast any of them face up-- pikers are just not impressive in this Standard-- and while I am a fan of the extremely cheap Megamorph cost on this I don't think you particularly want to cast it face down either. A 4-mana 3/2 that might sometimes draw you a card is not really what aggressive red decks want to be doing. The green and white ones both provide value because you can manifest them off of Whisperwood Elementals or Mastery of the Unseens and then they provide card advantage for cheap.

I'm kind of looking at it from the idea of it walking past one blocker like a Caryatid, or potentially trading with two goblin tokens from an opposing Hordeling Outburst by turn three/four. The 4-mana 3/2 that sometimes draws a card is just kind of there if you get stuck in a later game. Otherwise, yeah, 2/1 for 2 ain't exactly the best aggressive card these days, but I don't remember any pikers that have the Goblin War Drums evasion ability so I'm thinking about weird edge cases. At the very least, it's better than Jeering Instigator.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 10, 2015

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm kind of looking at it from the idea of it walking past one blocker like a Caryatid, or potentially trading with two goblin tokens from an opposing Hordeling Outburst by turn three/four. The 4-mana 3/2 that sometimes draws a card is just kind of there if you get stuck in a later game. Otherwise, yeah, 2/1 for 2 ain't exactly the best aggressive card these days, but I don't remember any pikers that have the Goblin War Drums evasion ability so I'm thinking about weird edge cases. At the very least, it's better than Jeering Instigator.

War-Name Aspirant is a 3/2 for two that walks past Caryatid and Goblin Tokens all day e'rry day.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

InterrupterJones posted:

TIL Rolling Stones will not let my Archers of Qarsi attack.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Entropic posted:

This guy's gonna be mad when he gets his photos developed and realizes his head is out of the frame.

Gonna have to go back for retake day.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rimusutera posted:

War-Name Aspirant is a 3/2 for two that walks past Caryatid and Goblin Tokens all day e'rry day.

G/Rcounter synnergy might be a thing? between War name aspirant, scale guard sentinels, Ire Shaman and Den protector, there area lot of efficient-ish creatures at 2-3 mana.

Hell, Avatar of the Resolute might even be able to do...something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

War-name's evasion is pretty narrow and often becomes irrelevant quickly, wheras Ire Shaman can stay evasive as long as you can keep your opponent on one creature. That's not too unreasonable with how good red's removal suite looks after DTK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

Rolling Stones needs Doran to be uh "playable", the new Enchant is both in one! Put all 3 in the deck for redundancy, you'll be unbeatable :downs:

Oh right, no power transfer. :doh:

Assault Formation deck it is then! Though that may admittedly be equally as "playable" as a Rolling Stones deck anyway.

• Locked thread