Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if anyone in Labour realises that anything that terrifies the Tories and Tory press is likely to be a good thing that should be pursued. They must know by now that they're rubbish at coming up with their own ideas so just look what the right wing REALLY doesn't want to see happen and make it happen.

I'm going QQ if Labour gets scared off from what could be a politically hilarious alliance with the bad boys of respectable politics: The SNP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
Who in Scotland says rubbish bins anyway? Headline should have been Big Bucket :colbert:

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

It's quite a nice design really. For a place that didn't have rain every 2nd bloody day.

Inverness could do with a nice water feature somewhere. As it is now it's got to be one of the least inspiring city centres in the country. A bunch of boarded up shops on the High Street, and the riverside, which is one of the few spots in the town with benches where you can just sit down and have a think, has been out of commission for a couple of years because of flood protection works. So you can go up to the Castle if it's not already swarming with tourists, or further up the river there's the islands which are quite nice. And there's a nature reserve down by the Ferry which is meant to be nice, can see the dolphins down on the Beauly Firth, but that's about it.

What a crap city.

It's not that bad. Inverness feels like it's got quite cosmopolitan in the last 15 years. You can still walk along the river and that's really nice. Are there not still benches up towards Eden Court?
The boarded up shops seem pretty much everywhere alas.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Extreme0 posted:

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING ME FILTH!

smdh if you don't live in a flat with a communal bin area.. ooh can't be bothered to sort your spent truffles from your bad fabergé eggs, bourgeoisie pricks

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

This is just getting creepy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What a brilliant newspaper. All that time Salmond spent getting disgustingly cosy with Murdoch , he can't be happy.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Gonzo McFee posted:

:stonk::fh:

Seriously though, the Tories and the English press are having a proper melting down at the thought of a Labour SNP government.

also

forkboy84 posted:

What a brilliant newspaper. All that time Salmond spent getting disgustingly cosy with Murdoch , he can't be happy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Murdoch only had time for Salmond when he thought independence might be in the offing and Salmond would be running the country. If Salmond doesn't know that, you should think twice before describing him as "politically savvy" again.

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Is that Tasmina Sheikh? It doesn't look like her at all.

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Salmond looks like a loving boss in that Tory poster, and Glasgow needs a tram system or expanded underground network, the council can get to gently caress.

The rail network in Glasgow is dense and frequent enough you could brand much of it as a metro if the stations were all built today rather than in the 19th century. I think they're opposed to doing that now because it would mess up Scotrail's 'Scotland's Railway' image. I think they were going to do this with the Cathcart Circle at one point but it got scrapped. It's a shame, I've always thought they should try and integrate what they have in terms of rail/bus/subway together a bit better.

Aromatic Stretch fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 11, 2015

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

Why? It won't be in the Scottish Sun, so it won't reach anyone who might vote SNP. The only people the piece can damage is Labour.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

what is in the boxes 1 to 6 describing how the SNP will ruin Britain?

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

return0 posted:

what is in the boxes 1 to 6 describing how the SNP will ruin Britain?

Here's a massive version.

Apparently, the picture they used for Tasmina Sheikh is actually Naz Shah, the Labour candidate for bradford west.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
haha it literally says they want to stop austerity, are pro-immigration, want to stop cutting benefits, want increased devolution... who would read that and think "hmm well I disagree with this"

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Silly Hyena posted:

Here's a massive version.

Apparently, the picture they used for Tasmina Sheikh is actually Naz Shah, the Labour candidate for bradford west.

4 Reason to be fearful.

#4 bloke from runrig thought the gb olympic football team was stupid and put the sfa & wfa at risk.

Yep that's terrifying all right .

return0 posted:

haha it literally says they want to stop austerity, are pro-immigration, want to stop cutting benefits, want increased devolution... who would read that and think "hmm well I disagree with this"

Nigel Farage ?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

return0 posted:

In the case of immigration, better than 70% of Scots if that survey is to be believed.

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014
Seems to me that either that study had flawed methodology, or the results weren't really meaningful enough to draw that conclusion. Anti-immigration rhetoric and groups do get proportionally less positive response than in England (UKIP, the BNP etc), and I don't think a measure of how a population responds to immigration is meaningful unless it can explain that phenomena. Maybe it's correct and it's simply a lesser issue compared to, for example, nuclear disarmament - but that doesn't explain why this effect doesn't take place in every country with nuclear weapons, and so on. You can't really ignore the end effects of a belief, because often-times they're different to the belief itself; like for example if you prove that most people look forward to genetically engineering wings for humans you can't say that this proves that they want to be as similar as possible to birds because that kind of person is demonstrably in the minority. You could look at how the two factors interact, but that'd be in an entirely different study because not something that fell under the scope of the first.

So in short, I don't credit the study much. It's like half a study, or one with nothing worthwhile to say so kneejerking on it would be a mistake. There's a reason why American studies on racism tend to go by crime statistics rather than self-report forms.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Silly Hyena posted:

Seems to me that either that study had flawed methodology, or the results weren't really meaningful enough to draw that conclusion. Anti-immigration rhetoric and groups do get proportionally less positive response than in England (UKIP, the BNP etc), and I don't think a measure of how a population responds to immigration is meaningful unless it can explain that phenomena. Maybe it's correct and it's simply a lesser issue compared to, for example, nuclear disarmament - but that doesn't explain why this effect doesn't take place in every country with nuclear weapons, and so on. You can't really ignore the end effects of a belief, because often-times they're different to the belief itself; like for example if you prove that most people look forward to genetically engineering wings for humans you can't say that this proves that they want to be as similar as possible to birds because that kind of person is demonstrably in the minority. You could look at how the two factors interact, but that'd be in an entirely different study because not something that fell under the scope of the first.

What

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

return0 posted:

Sun readers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Silly Hyena posted:

So in short, I don't credit the study much. It's like half a study, or one with nothing worthwhile to say so kneejerking on it would be a mistake. There's a reason why American studies on racism tend to go by crime statistics rather than self-report forms.

"This survey says something I don't like, so it doesn't mean anything! It must have been done wrong! :qq:"

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The BBC survey found that 64% of Scots want immigration reduced and 5% want it increased.
The 2014 Scottish Social Attitudes survey, which is probably the most rigorous survey of public opinion conducted in the country, found that 62% of Scots want immigration reduced and 9% want it increased.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Of the things that are true in boxes 1 to 6, most of them are what your average voter would actually want, and are probably in line with overall public opinion. Trident is a sticking point, but all those soldiers being sacked isn't helping its cause.

The candidates down the bottom all seem pretty normal. The doctor has someone with a differing opinion to her, Tasmina has moved parties (UKIP defectors anyone?) and Pete Wishart was in a band. Mhairi might be a bit sweary but at least she's not a tax-evading, peadophile-protecting expenses thief.

It's got to the point where all they can throw in the face of the SNP is that they have socially democratic policies and massive popular support in Scotland.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

The BBC survey found that 64% of Scots want immigration reduced and 5% want it increased.
The 2014 Scottish Social Attitudes survey, which is probably the most rigorous survey of public opinion conducted in the country, found that 62% of Scots want immigration reduced and 9% want it increased.

Yet the SNP are still polling well, which implies that people just don't rank immigration that highly. That is what is suggested in the report on that survey here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26020982

Surely the SNP's pro-immigration stance is a good thing? Would be very strange for internationalist, outward looking unionists to raise this as an issue and attempt to use it to drive a wedge between the SNP and their newfound support.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think it's a natural response to nationalists using supposed differences between Scottish attitudes and the rest of the UK to drive a wedge between Scotland and the rest of the country.

It's also interesting, if unsurprising, that Trident doesn't appear here at all

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Yeah but it says something that I don't like. So its wrong. Because reasons.

Pissflaps posted:

I think it's a natural response to nationalists using supposed differences between Scottish attitudes and the rest of the UK to drive a wedge between Scotland and the rest of the country.

It's also interesting, if unsurprising, that Trident doesn't appear here at all

They dont show much difference between each country in the union do they?

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
Wonder how much of that Scottish independence bar is "SAOR ALBA" and how much is "are we still talking about this? gently caress sake"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

dadrips posted:

Wonder how much of that Scottish independence bar is "SAOR ALBA" and how much is "are we still talking about this? gently caress sake"

I would imagine its a 43%-57% split.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

dadrips posted:

The graph is from February 2014.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

LemonDrizzle posted:

The graph is from February 2014.
then I've got egg all over my face :(

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The latest GERS figures paint a grim picture for separatists. Had the referendum returned a Yes vote they'd have been dynamite - and these figures are from before the collapse in the oil price.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pissflaps posted:

The latest GERS figures paint a grim picture for separatists. Had the referendum returned a Yes vote they'd have been dynamite - and these figures are from before the collapse in the oil price.

I mean, the Gers' performance is piss poor this year, but I think I could bear living in an independent Scotland, even if they don't make it out of the Championship this year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I mean, the Gers' performance is piss poor this year, but I think I could bear living in an independent Scotland, even if they don't make it out of the Championship this year.

And, like the 'gers, you'd be in administration.

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

Jedit posted:

"This survey says something I don't like, so it doesn't mean anything! It must have been done wrong! :qq:"

No, my point was that the results of the survey weren't reflected in the real world. Pro immigration groups are proportionally more more popular in Scotland, and anti-immigration groups less so. You have the results of the survey, and now what? How do you interpret them in a way that doesn't contradict what actually happens? Because you can't draw the conclusion that England and Scotland treat immigration in the same way, because it's demonstrably false.

and no, drawing the conclusion that I'm being rigorous about this because "I don't like the results" isn't proper science either

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Silly Hyena posted:

No, my point was that the results of the survey weren't reflected in the real world.

Surveys reflect the real world. They gauge public opinion.

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

Surveys reflect the real world. They gauge public opinion.

And in this case, what does that mean? What interpretations are you drawing from the way the survey gauges public opinion?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Silly Hyena posted:

And in this case, what does that mean? What interpretations are you drawing from the way the survey gauges public opinion?

That people in Scotland have broadly similar views to people in the rest of the UK.

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

That people in Scotland have broadly similar views to people in the rest of the UK.

Then how do you take into account that they act differently?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Silly Hyena posted:

Then how do you take into account that they act differently?

Do you have evidence that they do?

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

Do you have evidence that they do?

Yes, the success of pro-immigration groups like the SNP and the relative failure of anti-immigration groups like the BNP and UKIP who have seen some success in England but none here.

The point isn't that the study's wrong, it's just incomplete. You can't draw a meaningful conclusion from the survey because it just doesn't have a meaningful level of data. And that's assuming there's no flaws in methodology in the first place, which self-report forms are notorious for having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Are the SNP successful entirely because they are pro immigration? Is that their only campaigning point? Do people vote for them just because they are pro immigration?

If they answer is no to any of the above, you can see why your stance is flawed.

• Locked thread