Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just want to play it with Jeskai Barricade and Triton Tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

War-name's evasion is pretty narrow and often becomes irrelevant quickly, wheras Ire Shaman can stay evasive as long as you can keep your opponent on one creature. That's not too unreasonable with how good red's removal suite looks after DTK.

I'd rather just roast and stoke the things I can and continue walking past Carytids, but I see your point. However, stats and mana wise, I see Aspirant as way more efficient.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Someone's gonna be pissed when they pull Butt Formation and the guys next to them pull giant gently caress-off dragons.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
War-Name probably becomes a lot more viable in the face of token decks, which'll probably become more popular with the reprinting of Dragon Fodder.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Tree of Redemption calls to me, 13/13 beater for four + activation would be pretty.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
When does cube come back up on MODO?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Thor-Stryker posted:

Tree of Redemption calls to me, 13/13 beater for four + activation would be pretty.

Don't forget to exchange its toughness with your life total first :getin:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

LR Spoilers

This puts any Heroic creature out of Bile Blight and most burn range and then comes back and let's them swing for 5+ next turn. Not bad.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Planning to go to my first Standard tonight, put together a Sultai Control deck. How's this looking?

Lands (25)
4 Opulent Palace
4 Polluted Delta
4 Jungle Hollow
3 Temple of Deceit
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Yavimaya Coast
2 Llanowar Wastes
3 Swamp
2 Island

Planeswalkers: (7)
2 Kiora
2 Ashiok
1 Ugin
1 Garruk, Apex Predator
1 Lilliana Vess

Creatures: (5)
4 Satyr Wayfinders
1 Silumgar (maybe sideboard)

Spells: (23)
4 Bile Blight
4 Dig Through Time
2 Thoughtseize
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Sultai Charm
2 Treasure Cruise
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Crux of Fate

Sideboard includes some number of Rakshasa Deathdealer, 2 Tasigur's, Pharika's Cure, drown in sorrow, standard sultai sideboard stuff.

Any tips for playing or editing this? Played a decent amount in kitchen table battles against roommates who have some decently competitive decks, but since no one owns a Siege Rhino I imagine that'll be showing up. I'd like to throw another Ugin or Garruk in there too.

What to keep and what to mulligan seems especially important for this deck (maybe in general, still a rather new MTG player), so tips there are also appreciated.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

defender, flying
draw a card if you control or reveal a dragon.

I dig it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I really hope they have some interesting rebound spells that aren't "pump a dude then pump again"

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
'Butt Party' is a really, really good name but everyone is missing the obvious and also excellent 'rear end Formation'

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I really hope they have some interesting rebound spells that aren't "pump a dude then pump again"

That's probably the only pump one but I doubt we're getting anything exciting. Probably ones to give flying, unblockable and first strike till EOT.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This puts any Heroic creature out of Bile Blight and most burn range and then comes back and let's them swing for 5+ next turn. Not bad.

That card is very good. It's a cheap effect with rebound and it triggers prowess twice. Terrific with Seeker of the Way or even better, Ojutai's Exemplars.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

defender, flying
draw a card if you control or reveal a dragon.

I dig it

Wall of odragons seems comparable to wall of omens. Do want.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I really hope that says revealed from your hand

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zoness posted:

Wall of odragons seems comparable to wall of omens. Do want.

it's like wall of omens except much much worse.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mcmagic posted:

it's like wall of omens except much much worse.

It's a flying, conditional Wall of Omens. Stop talking out of your rear end, it's (probably) worse, but I wouldn't say it's much worse, in a set all about Dragons.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The name of the card is Orator of Ojutai (this is the card they referred to earlier when they were talking about things you could bring back with Command).

Not a great card, but a pretty easy limited pickup if you have a few dragons around (0/4 flying defender for 2 is a good enough card on its own in limited)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It combos with Doran's Big Green Butt Party, that's all that matters.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yet another flier that can't block Stormbreath Dragon. Yes, good. :getin:

That said its a perfectly fine card in a set full of dragons.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I can't wait to talk everyone into Dragons/Fate/Khans draft so that I can force 5 color buttfight.dec :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Have they really gone on record saying there are no cheap dragons in this set?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think some of the dragons are definitely $0.50 cards so.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, it's against the lore because dragons are formed full-grown from the tempests or w/e.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think they've said there isn't a common cycle at least. Maybe there'll be a welp reprint?

Edit: oh yeah forgot about the tempest thing for a second.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Entropic posted:

Now that I think about it, that Doran's Butt Party enchantment makes basically every creature in Abzan beat your opponent's copy in the mirror. And that's without even taking the firebreathing into consideration.

Um excuse me the proper term is clearly firefarting. :c00lbutt:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/developing-dragons-tarkir-2015-03-09

quote:

"We wanted to play up Dragon tribal not only in Constructed but also in Limited. The trick was how to make all of the Dragons awesome and yet have Dragons get passed around the table to a player or two who wants to play a bunch of Dragons and be rewarded for doing so. And then who's really going to want to play so many cards in a range of five to seven mana?

One of the first ideas I came up with to encourage dedicated "Dragon-drafters" was to create a cycle of Dragons with megamorph. This meant that you could put a Dragon into the three-mana slot in your deck. Because megamorph allows you to turn up creatures and put +1/+1 counters on them, these Dragons could have slightly smaller stats than the typical Dragon, given that a frequent case use would still be to deploy them effectively as 4/4 flying creatures with upside. One thing I love about megamorph is that the mechanic tweak strongly incentivizes you to go through the face-down state. We tuned these Dragon cards to a power level where they are likely to be passed around a bit to drafters who prioritize them higher than others for the Dragonness."

Outside of Thunderbreak Regent, it doesn't seem so.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Serperoth posted:

It's a flying, conditional Wall of Omens. Stop talking out of your rear end, it's (probably) worse, but I wouldn't say it's much worse, in a set all about Dragons.

The 1/3 guy from Fate that gains you 3 life is MUCH better than this. The decks that want this card don't run dragons. It's not constructed playable at all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Non-spoiler question: Does Hero's Downfall see any play outside of Standard? I want a playset for a cheap mono-black control deck I'm building for Modern, but I don't know if they're more likely to go up or go down after Theros rotates.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
They could probably get away with a shrunken-down Archwing Dragon (3/3 or so?) at uncommon since it had proto-Dash.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The 1/3 guy from Fate that gains you 3 life is MUCH better than this. The decks that want this card don't run dragons. It's not constructed playable at all.

I don't recall that being a condition of anyone's argument. Don't pass on a 2 mana 0/4 flier with tribal upside in a set named after said tribe.

C-Euro posted:

Non-spoiler question: Does Hero's Downfall see any play outside of Standard? I want a playset for a cheap mono-black control deck I'm building for Modern, but I don't know if they're more likely to go up or go down after Theros rotates.

Personal wild speculation: I think they'll just reprint Hero's Downfall a lot as generic black removal.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 10, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Serperoth posted:

In the set all about Dragons that has what appears to be one constructed playable dragon, and in a format that will see that number bumped up to an incredible 3 constructed playable dragons, I would say it's much, much worse.

E: I should probably clarify that I give zero fucks about limited in all forms so

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Yo these spoilers suck let's talk about what we really want:

Dual-face basics in Battle for Zendikar.

also wall of omens

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

I don't think so, no.

Not a whole lot of planeswalkers get played in Modern, the only ones I can think of are like, Karn, maybe Koth? Ugin sees some play in the not RG Tron variants?

Edit:,Oh right, Lilly Veils, how could I forget the bane of hands everywhere

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 10, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Depends how good Narset ends up being in modern.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

C-Euro posted:

It's a format where Abrupt Decay is the king of removal and only a handful of Walkers even see play (mostly Liliana's, which also dies to Abrupt Decay :v:) so no, not really.

It's the same with Dreadbore, both are good cards but Abrupt Decay is just better in general.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think they've confirmed that there's no dragons at common (boo), 3 two-color cycles of dragons at uncommon, rare, and mythic and two mono-color cycles at uncommon and rare, which makes 25 dragons all told, with probably a few more thrown in at rare. None of them cost less than 6 mana at uncommon, and the only rare that's less than 5 is the one red one.

C-Euro posted:

No. There's generally fewer planeswalkers about, and Modern has Slaughter Pact, Go for the Throat, Terminate, Path to Exile, Dismember, Lightning Bolt, Abrupt Decay, Smother, Doom Blade, Victim of Night...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

In the set all about Dragons that has what appears to be one constructed playable dragon, and in a format that will see that number bumped up to an incredible 3 constructed playable dragons, I would say it's much, much worse.

E: I should probably clarify that I give zero fucks about limited in all forms so

Ah, that explains what's wrong with you. Limited is the best type of magic in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zoness posted:

Yo these spoilers suck let's talk about what we really want:

Dual-face basics in Battle for Zendikar.

also wall of omens

If they do Full-art Basics for the set do you think they'll re-use the old art or get new ones?

I want them to re-use the old ones cause I love the Véronique Meignaud ones but I don't think they will. :( Maybe they'll call her up again?

• Locked thread