Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What kind of skill level should I have before I start showing up for drop-in that isn't called "rookie"? A lot of the guys who play rookie are really good from my point of view, but only one rink offers it and I can't always make their times. I can skate forwards and backwards, stop on both sides, crossover, etc but I'm still pretty slow, occasionally wobbly, I'll miss easy passes, etc. I don't want to show up at a drop-in that has an established group of players and be that lovely new guy that no one wants on their team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

prom candy posted:

What kind of skill level should I have before I start showing up for drop-in that isn't called "rookie"? A lot of the guys who play rookie are really good from my point of view, but only one rink offers it and I can't always make their times. I can skate forwards and backwards, stop on both sides, crossover, etc but I'm still pretty slow, occasionally wobbly, I'll miss easy passes, etc. I don't want to show up at a drop-in that has an established group of players and be that lovely new guy that no one wants on their team.

Most rinks I've been to, drop in is just drop in. They don't specifically designate one as rookie or not. No one should give you any poo poo for it. Bring a white jersey and a black jersey and have fun. No one should give a poo poo how good you are and the better players will usually give you tips or throw you a nice pass. There might be one or two wannabe all-stars, but gently caress 'em.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I am "that lovely new guy" and it doesn't matter. If anything, it just gives them one more pylon to try their sweet dekes against so I'm sure the other team likes it. In any case, people at the drop-in I go to get pretty gassed toward the end so nobody is even making a concerted effort and screwing up a play due to being bad is no worse than all the stuff that happens because nobody plays defense.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Everyone has to start somewhere so just go out there and try. Playing with higher skilled people will usually help you get better as well. A faster game means you're trying to keep up and probably pushing yourself more than normal. Pickup is pickup and nobody should be upset at the skill level there. Thats what its for unless its listed specifically as a high level skate.

As for beer league guys not trying to get better ... there are a few different types. People who have more than enough skill for the league they play in and will probably be able to maintain it the rest of their playing lives. Another is always trying to get better and actually focuses on doing so through clinics or practicing off ice in their spare time whether they're a new player or experienced. Then there are the people who don't give a poo poo regardless of their skill and don't care if they get better. Personally I don't know who wouldn't want to be the best player they can but wanting it and doing the work to achieve it is lost on most of us, especially with things like family and work to get in the way of our amateur hockey dreams.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
I think you have got the types of teammates pretty accurate. In any recreational sport, there will be the folks just there to enjoy a few shifts/rounds/frames, knock back a cold one or three and laugh with their buddies. Even if they aren't very good, it doesn't really matter. They're having fun. There will also be folks that might be new to the game, study YouTube videos for tips and are eager to see how far they can develop their skills. That is a different kind of excitement and fun.

If you're in a draft league and end up on a team with more 'recreation' than 'hockey', ride out the bad play, have a few laughs and whip their butts next season when you've improved and they haven't.

If you've joined a rostered team and you are really unhappy with their hockey attitude, perhaps they just aren't a good fit for your style. Hook up with different teams until you find a home or perhaps form a new one. You might find a few teammates and a few opponents that feel the same way you do.

The best one can hope for is to get in with other folks that want the same thing out of their game night. You can't really fault one for trying more than another when, in the end, everyone's league fees are the same color: green.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Standard operating procedure for someone not trying is to call them out in a team email the next morning. Anything else is unacceptable.

One of my teams gives out a typical "thing" for player of the game, but we also give out a hat that says "I hosed the carpet" for the shittiest/laziest player of the night. You have to write your number on it. It's pretty awesome and is always good for laughs.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Verman posted:

As for beer league guys not trying to get better ... there are a few different types. [...]Then there are the people who don't give a poo poo regardless of their skill and don't care if they get better.
This isn't isolated to beer league; I've had Bantam AAA players with the same attitude.

edit: oh yeah, I said I'd put something together about shooting angle, didn't I? I'll get to that next time.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 10, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

I don't want to show up at a drop-in that has an established group of players and be that lovely new guy that no one wants on their team.

If it was that established/particular/private they wouldn't advertise it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have a lot of poo poo in my game I want to improve, but aside from 3-4 drop-in ice times a week I don't really have a chance to. There's 3 feet of snow on the outdoor rinks, and I don't have space/noise protection to set up any shooting practice at home. There's no real opportunity to just fire pucks for an hour, or gently caress around on my skates in a way that doesn't get me booted from a public skate.

I'd imagine a lot of people in beer league are similar; you play games, and that's it. Even if they have a garage or a back yard, it's money to set up a shooting pad and then effort to practice when there's other stuff in life that would be considered "more important"

sellouts posted:

If it was that established/particular/private they wouldn't advertise it.
Bingo. Show up, pay your money, have a beer afterwards, and don't be a dick. If the drop-in is way over your head (like, every single player is just clowning you, not just a few good guys trying hard), or the players are all assholes, find a new one until you get a good group.

Start your own for new guys, if you think there's the demand.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Pleads posted:

I have a lot of poo poo in my game I want to improve, but aside from 3-4 drop-in ice times a week I don't really have a chance to. There's 3 feet of snow on the outdoor rinks, and I don't have space/noise protection to set up any shooting practice at home. There's no real opportunity to just fire pucks for an hour, or gently caress around on my skates in a way that doesn't get me booted from a public skate.

I'd imagine a lot of people in beer league are similar; you play games, and that's it. Even if they have a garage or a back yard, it's money to set up a shooting pad and then effort to practice when there's other stuff in life that would be considered "more important"

As a childless dude with some spending money, I consider any money and time spent getting better at hockey to be a good investment in future me's enjoyment of the game. But even with some time and money it's still hard to get to the rink as much as I'd like. If I really went at it I could probably skate somewhere every day most weeks but 2-4 times a week is more usual. I know there are guys on my team that only play in our weekly game and are probably never going to get much better but at least they're having fun.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I wrote a quick checklist of things you should make sure of before you participate in a drop-in game. As a beginner, just make sure you check all the boxes before you consider yourself "ready":

[ ] Do you have $10?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 10, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm hoping that $10 buys you a black and white jersey.

By black and white I mean a black jersey ... and a white jersey. Not a black and white jersey.

Seriously don't be the red guy on the white team or the yellow guy on the dark team.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I only have a black jersey, so I'm gonna pick up a white one and start going to more drop-ins. This might be an excuse to pick up one of those Hamilton Bulldogs jerseys I've been eyeing, especially since the team is leaving for stupid Newfoundland.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Verman posted:

I'm hoping that $10 buys you a black and white jersey.

By black and white I mean a black jersey ... and a white jersey. Not a black and white jersey.

Seriously don't be the red guy on the white team or the yellow guy on the dark team.

I'm so bad that I wear a grey jersey because sometimes it's difficult to tell which side I'm helping more.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I used to put a shitton of effort into getting better. I went to skill sessions, I went to clinics, I went to camps. I played 4 times/week. Etc. I continually sucked worse than anyone I played with ever and did not improve. It was frustrating as hell since I was constantly seeing people who worked a lot less moving up to higher level leagues.

I took a few years off, came back just not giving a gently caress and very rarely playing more than 2 games in a week, somehow got noticeably better. Plus I'm having more fun because I'm not always hoping that some day I might suck less.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Took a wrister off the wrist last night, didn't feel great but was totally worth it. The team I'm on isn't great, we're basically the Sandlot team minus anyone good; it's a bunch of people who are either new to the league or haven't played before. So far we're 0-2 with 1 GF and 15 GA.

That said I'm having fun, so gently caress it.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Teeter posted:

I'm so bad that I wear a grey jersey because sometimes it's difficult to tell which side I'm helping more.

Grey jerseys make me :argh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think I've found a new hobby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9dg3bd5MVU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

lol at the fat guy trying to glove the slapshot

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I used to put a shitton of effort into getting better. I went to skill sessions, I went to clinics, I went to camps. I played 4 times/week. Etc. I continually sucked worse than anyone I played with ever and did not improve. It was frustrating as hell since I was constantly seeing people who worked a lot less moving up to higher level leagues.

I took a few years off, came back just not giving a gently caress and very rarely playing more than 2 games in a week, somehow got noticeably better. Plus I'm having more fun because I'm not always hoping that some day I might suck less.

I got stuck in this sort of mindset at ball hockey, which was basically the first sport I had ever played since I was 10 or 11 years old. I was the new guy who sucked and was trying to get better and even though I got a lot better over 4-5 years my decision making was always clouded with "I'm bad, I should get rid of the ball" or "I'm bad I shouldn't try a move here, I'll look stupid if I mess it up." When I was really new the worst of it was "I shouldn't go crazy trying to win this battle because even if I come out with the ball I won't know what to do with it."

So now on the ice even though I know I'm new I'm really trying to play with confidence instead of trepidation and it seems to be paying off. Same deal with soccer, which I'm brand new to this year (and is even worse because I don't really understand the sport nearly as well as I understand hockey). I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing but I pretend like I do and it works a lot of the time because it turns out when you play in the lowest divisions of things everyone is pretty new.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Teach me how to shoot a non embarrassing slap shot.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I come forth to you as a convert to the grippy hockey stick dark side.

I picked up a Bauer X90 stick on clearance, and it felt quite good. I'm a fan.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

shyduck posted:

I come forth to you as a convert to the grippy hockey stick dark side.

I picked up a Bauer X90 stick on clearance, and it felt quite good. I'm a fan.

I'm a newbie but currently hate grippy sticks. Will this eventually change? It seems that the majority of sticks available in stock places are grip'd.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's the deal with grippy sticks? Doesn't your tape just go on the blade? Or is the handle grippy?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The handle is grippy.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Most of my sticks are non-grip, but my current top stick is grippy since that's the only version they had in the curve I wanted. Honestly the stickiness isn't too much, so I don't really find much of a difference.

edit: Also proper stickhandling technique states your bottom handle should be loosely holding the stick anyway. :colbert:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Loqieu posted:

edit: Also proper stickhandling technique states your bottom handle should be loosely holding the stick anyway. :colbert:

This.

Grip has never bothered me one way or the other. It's not so tacky that you have a hard time repositioning your hands, especially with gloves on. I have grip sticks simply because they are pro-stocks that I get for free. I've purchased sticks both with grip and without and I don't have a problem with either. The other thing to take into account is that most of the time you are holding a stick with your bare hands. Try it with a glove on to see if you can still notice the grip as much.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think I have randomly always had grippy sticks. Maybe there is a whole world I am missing out on where my hands slide around like an oiled goose on the haft and every shot I take goes hilariously wide.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

DeNofa posted:

I'm a newbie but currently hate grippy sticks. Will this eventually change? It seems that the majority of sticks available in stock places are grip'd.

Yeah you'll get used to it. I do not like grip sticks as much as regular sticks but I have been using grip sticks for some time now, mostly because of the availability problem you are describing. It seems to me that more low end sticks only come in grip form. I may be wrong on that but usually when I'm checking out sticks online I can only get grip and in stores it seems the non-grip sticks are $200+.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah you'll get used to it. I do not like grip sticks as much as regular sticks but I have been using grip sticks for some time now, mostly because of the availability problem you are describing. It seems to me that more low end sticks only come in grip form. I may be wrong on that but usually when I'm checking out sticks online I can only get grip and in stores it seems the non-grip sticks are $200+.

I bought a non-grip stick from Hockey Giant last month or so for $40ish. First one I've had in a while.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
The popular option is grippy sticks. It does help if you have weaker hands or your gloves are bone dry when you are shooting.

My gloves (RBK 11K) have grippy palms which its miserable with grippy shafts, except for last week, when my gloves were properly and completely dried out I couldnt get a good grip on my stick until I sprayed my gloves down with water.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I bought a non-grip stick from Hockey Giant last month or so for $40ish. First one I've had in a while.

Lucky you. I haven't seen a stick under $50 that wasn't wooden for quite some time. I did see that whoever linked to those Black Hockey Sticks a page or so back you can select either grip or non-grip and for $89 for a 100 flex I think I'm going to give them a try for my next stick

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bigbillystyle posted:

Lucky you. I haven't seen a stick under $50 that wasn't wooden for quite some time. I did see that whoever linked to those Black Hockey Sticks a page or so back you can select either grip or non-grip and for $89 for a 100 flex I think I'm going to give them a try for my next stick

Tron sells their basic composite sticks for like 30, and their next line that usually retails for 70 is often on sale for half price.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just wait for the next Amazon clearance on some no-name brand. :v:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

Just wait for the next Amazon clearance on some no-name brand. :v:

I have to say I love those Fischer sticks ... best $28 I've ever spent. They're light, they feel really good, the blade patterns are exactly what I like to use, and they have been pretty durable. I would definitely buy again even if they were $50-75 per stick vs the $7 that I paid. My only regret is that I didn't clean them out. And this is coming from the pro stock sticks that I normally use.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 12, 2015

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Just over a month ago I was in a knee-on-knee collision on my knee which already had some minor pain going up steps. Been getting worse ever since that hit, and just went to see the Doc. MRI scheduled for next week. Might be a meniscus tear. :( Pain started to affect my ability to walk and I'm wearing a knee sleeve when ever I go out.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bigbillystyle posted:

It was a combination of junior size + clearance discount.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

It was a combination of junior size + clearance discount.

That makes sense. For some reason I never run into those deals when I need them and don't stock up when they are around regardless if I need a stick or not. Those Tron sticks look ok though I guess. Maybe I'll try them. The one that is comparable weight to the Black sticks is actually $10 cheaper than the Blacks without sale price.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Son of a... my semi-new skates! :argh:

Shoe goo or super glue good, I'm assuming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Any way you can set up a small pump to spurt out fake blood from the cut every time you take a stride?