Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously, was Gravity Falls trying to compete with Steven Universe for the title of 'Most emotionally intense cartoon ever' this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

^^ Perhaps it's a meta conspiracy by cartoon writers across networks... :tinfoil:

That was a hell of an episode! I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop Stanley Pines and his relationship with the twins. Meanwhile, I was inspired by triangles and sketched up a thing in Illustrator... I'll probably come back and change some stuff on it, but I thought I'd share, anyway. I guess it has a spoiler-ish image in it? http://i.imgur.com/no0ubCv.png

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grunkle Stan Master of Gravity!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I love that even in desperate circumstances, Grunkle Stan takes the time to pilfer.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

One neat thing about this episode and the last is that we get a good idea of the sort of time frames they're using in this show: this took place the very next day after the fancy party at the Northwest Manor. They deal with a ghost that turns everyone into wood and threatens to burn them, then mere hours later they're waking up early to check out some fireworks and confront the deepest mysteries of their great uncle. In order to squeeze the entire show into a single summer, there's a lot less off-screen time for our characters than there'd be in most shows. There's no "daily life" between episodes, the intense stuff we're seeing is daily life for the twins.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Jesus christ that was intense. I admit I never bought into the twin brother thing, but I guess I was wrong.

Edit: I'll be really curious to see how the twin's parents figure into all this. One of them grew up Stan & Stan, but apparently never once mentioned Stan #2.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 10, 2015

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

counterfeitsaint posted:

Jesus christ that was intense. I admit I never bought into the twin brother thing, but I guess I was wrong.

Edit: I'll be really curious to see how the twin's parents figure into all this. One of them grew up Stan & Stan, but apparently never once mentioned Stan #2.

I'll bet the dad is a twin and the mom is a twin. It's a matrix of twins

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Would you mention a great uncle who was a known con man and grifter, if the parent even knew (it is possible that con man stan was out of their lives since before the parents were born)?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

drat, all of this foreshadowing that I completely missed. Kudos to Alex Hirsch for being subtle

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Congrats, Stanleyists! Enjoy your smug victory lap, you've earned it.

Given that Mabel and Dipper were sent to stay with their great uncle, could con man fake-Stan in fact be their grandpa? It makes sense that their parents would just never mention him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Wittgen posted:

I love that even in desperate circumstances, Grunkle Stan takes the time to pilfer.

Well, he did need that money to buy off a cab driver.

That said, I'm all alone on the Internet. I can curse about this episode now.

-- TEN MINUTES LATER --

I like that it was Mabel who ultimately made the call. Dipper was not in a believable mindset to do that.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Little touches like Stan grabbing the wallet to pay off the Cabbie are just brilliant. I hope we get a flat out explanatory episode next instead of another "I've got something to tell you- but oh poo poo!". Worked well here, but man that cliffhanger.

So next episode in a month?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
that was an abrupt ending

do we know when the next episode is coming out at all?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Wait, does this mean that Stanley is two symbols on Bill's wheel?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
one is stan, one is the brother

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Suspicious Dish posted:

We went over this a few pages back and I had the same brain-fart moment. Stanford's fez-claw thing is over on the right, but that leaves two Stanley symbols: the six-fingered hand and the glasses. If Stanley is only one of them, who's the other?

The answer: TRIPLETS

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Suspicious Dish posted:

But the brother Stan has both the glasses and the six fingers.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
so that means theres another six fingered man, like gideon

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Or a Stan sibling really did die in that car crash.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The Shapeshifter did say that "that six-fingered nerd hasn't been himself in 30 years". Maybe Stanley has become such a radically different person that one symbol represents the old him, and one represents the new.

Personally, I'm interested in McGucket booking it. I've been holding on to a pet theory that whatever caused Stanley to get sucked into the portal was McGucket's fault, whether accidentally, intentionally, or just through freaking out and abandoning the brothers with a project they couldn't control.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CuwiKhons posted:

The Shapeshifter did say that "that six-fingered nerd hasn't been himself in 30 years". Maybe Stanley has become such a radically different person that one symbol represents the old him, and one represents the new.

Or you could take it literally and that's how long "Stanley Pines" has been Stanford Pines.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That whole ending sequence I genuinely had no idea whether or not that button would get pressed so kudos to the entire creative team for that.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

gently caress me that was a good episode, this show's been firing on all cylinders this season

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CuwiKhons posted:

Personally, I'm interested in McGucket booking it. I've been holding on to a pet theory that whatever caused Stanley to get sucked into the portal was McGucket's fault, whether accidentally, intentionally, or just through freaking out and abandoning the brothers with a project they couldn't control.

I don't think so. The journal cryptographs in the past suggest that there was an overlap between the Society of the Blind eye being set up and when Stanley was still writing his journals (he even says he suspects McGucket is behind the society).

Also, I've got the feeling that most of the research was done by Stanley on his own, and after his disappearance Stanford had to piece together things on his own in order to find out what happened with his brother. That's why he needs the journals, he doesn't know all these things on his own, he needs to rely on Stanley's knowledge to recreate his experiments.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Can we get the updated overview of the end-title cards?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can we get the updated overview of the end-title cards?

Have this!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Would that be Bill Cipher in between them?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pick posted:

Or you could take it literally and that's how long "Stanley Pines" has been Stanford Pines.

I'd say this. When Stan was arrested in this episode, they even had his report card giving him As in everything but PhysEd. Grunkle Stan isn't exactly the brightest person, so it may be that he took the identity of his brother and faked his death after he went missing into the portal.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Fingerless Gloves posted:

It's probably the portal

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Possibly. I'm sure that there's some kind of connection between the portal, Bill, and the two Stans, but lord knows what it is so far. Maybe the original opening of the portal summoned/created him initially? The purpose of the portal was to create knowledge, after all, and that's what Bill represents.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd say this. When Stan was arrested in this episode, they even had his report card giving him As in everything but PhysEd. Grunkle Stan isn't exactly the brightest person, so it may be that he took the identity of his brother and faked his death after he went missing into the portal.

To be fair, he does play dumb a lot.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Command Ant posted:

The biggest revelation of this episode is that McGucket has a raccoon wife.

It's not important, but didn't they get married back in the Pioneer Day episode? A neat call-back, at least.

Anyway, a great episode, a great season and a great series!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

To be fair, he does play dumb a lot.

True, but while he is clever he can also be a bit of a blockhead. Someone linked a blog post before that pinned Stanford as the "Mabel" of the Stan twins, and even if Stanley is nothing like Dipper, I'd say Mabel and Stanford are still quite similar.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

LashLightning posted:

It's not important, but didn't they get married back in the Pioneer Day episode? A neat call-back, at least.

Anyway, a great episode, a great season and a great series!

No, that was between a man and a woodpecker.

their marriage is in shambles

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

How did Stan get a D in PE if he's so robust now?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

pandaK posted:

How did Stan get a D in PE if he's so robust now?

Depending on when that report card was issued, it could've been when he was still a wimp before his dad got him boxing lessons.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Wow that owned a lot. I think my favorite detail might have been that Stan was keeping his language TV-Y7 all summer just because there were kids around. Lord knows I wouldn't have the will to stop swearing that long :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I learned about these in another forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zdXN7mcOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ljOB4WxUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dicHVTvoPM0 (I think there's a code in this video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41zOdVir7qc

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Augus posted:

I don't think so. The journal cryptographs in the past suggest that there was an overlap between the Society of the Blind eye being set up and when Stanley was still writing his journals (he even says he suspects McGucket is behind the society).

Also, I've got the feeling that most of the research was done by Stanley on his own, and after his disappearance Stanford had to piece together things on his own in order to find out what happened with his brother. That's why he needs the journals, he doesn't know all these things on his own, he needs to rely on Stanley's knowledge to recreate his experiments.

Right, but that's what I was saying. McGucket clearly knew about the portal and was working on it, then freaked about something, backed out and started the Society of the Blind Eye. With all his engineering genius, he was probably instrumental in at least part of the portal's construction and him abandoning the project could have been a major blow that caused something to go wrong. However with this video:

Mraagvpeine posted:

I learned about these in another forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zdXN7mcOo

I now I agree with you. It may have been Stan who caused something to go wrong with the portal and lose Stanley. He says that if he had minded his own business 30 years ago, none of this would have happened. For all the talk about the "original Mystery Twins", it seems like Stanford didn't have much, if anything, to do with Stanley's research.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Going to have to rewatch the episode before coming to any conclusions, but there's still a few questions ticking away in my head. If the two Stan twins grew up together, then who is the mysterious grifter in the newspaper article? Surely somebody would recognise him? UNLESS the car accident was so long ago and we get more time travel shenanigans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Captain_Person posted:

Going to have to rewatch the episode before coming to any conclusions, but there's still a few questions ticking away in my head. If the two Stan twins grew up together, then who is the mysterious grifter in the newspaper article? Surely somebody would recognise him? UNLESS the car accident was so long ago and we get more time travel shenanigans!

My thought is Stanford gets lost in another dimension and Stanley, the grifter, fakes his own death and takes over Stanford's identity lose the heat.

• Locked thread