Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You'd think that the fal'Cie being big biomechanical things would stand out, since their designs are pretty rad and one of the high points of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Uh.

Jedi in the original movies didn't have a uniform. Obi-Wan wore a robe because people on the planet wore robes. Yoda just had basically a burlap cloth (and specifically was not supposed to be identifiable as a Jedi at first glance!) Luke only wore a robe, again, on the desert planet and spent the rest of the series in a variety of other outfits. They didn't have a defined costume. Neither did the bad guys who were a robot samurai and a guy in robes. The prequel stuff had them all wear robes but, y'know, prequel trilogy, long after Jedi was an everyday word. Like the lightsaber thing would make more sense as a comparison because the lightsaber is the thing people identify with Jedis.

Oh I thought all Jedi wore robes because all Jedi wear robes in everything Star Wars. My mistake there.

All those sith wearing black must have been a coincidence huh

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 10, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rei_ posted:

this game looks kinda rad tbqh, i havent watched much about it

edit: is anyone streaming Episode Duscae

Digital download, so won't have leaked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Oh I thought all Jedi wore robes because all Jedi wear robes in everything Star Wars. My mistake there.

Pictured:

Luke and his uncle Owen, the Not-Jedi,

The robes thing came after the fact, not before. The characters wore robes because they were from a desert planet, not because Jedi wear robes. The costume design for the planet was like that. It did not miraculously make people recognize Jedi because all of two Jedi wore robes and they wore them on a desert planet.

bloodychill posted:

"Bad guys wear black" isn't a coincidence at all but it has nothing to do with what you're saying.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 10, 2015

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There's plenty of instances in the Extended Universe stuff of Jedi and Sith wearing all sorts of things. Taking Star Wars as a whole, the robes are really only a Jedi Knight sort of thing. The order's uniform, but not the uniform of Jedi as a whole.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Admittedly making blanket statements at all, is frequently leaving yourself open to being shot down. But it takes some special talent to do that in reply to a post which already has examples that shoot down that very blanket statement. I'm quite impressed - I don't think I've ever actually seen that done before, even as a joke post come to think of it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Never mind.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 10, 2015

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

As I recall, Yoda wore a robe as well. And I imagine robes would not be the go-to choice for a swamp planet.

Yoda was also one of the last surviving members of the Jedi Knights, where that was the uniform. Members of the New Jedi Order wear all sorts of things, including robes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There's plenty of instances in the Extended Universe stuff of Jedi and Sith wearing all sorts of things. Taking Star Wars as a whole, the robes are really only a Jedi Knight sort of thing. The order's uniform, but not the uniform of Jedi as a whole.

Yeah, but in this case I'm taking about the original three movies where the word Jedi was a strange new thing, not a common recognized word.

As I said "lightsaber" would make more sense for the point because lightsabers were instantly identified both in and out of universe with Star Wars. "Jedis are those guys with the magic power and laser swords" is a perfectly valid point to make for how people remember them and even now saying Jedi will instantly call to mind lightsabers.

Jedi worked because people liked Star Wars and were willing to invest themselves into remembering things about it. Having mystical fantasy names isn't innately a bad thing. Not making people give a poo poo about it is. That is FFXIII's mistake, not using made-up words.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
XIII's mistake was not giving Lightning a lightsaber.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but in this case I'm taking about the original three movies where the word Jedi was a strange new thing, not a common recognized word.

As I said "lightsaber" would make more sense for the point because lightsabers were instantly identified both in and out of universe with Star Wars. "Jedis are those guys with the magic power and laser swords" is a perfectly valid point to make for how people remember them and even now saying Jedi will instantly call to mind lightsabers.

Jedi worked because people liked Star Wars and were willing to invest themselves into remembering things about it. Having mystical fantasy names isn't innately a bad thing. Not making people give a poo poo about it is. That is FFXIII's mistake, not using made-up words.

Yeah. I was making the comment more on bloodychill's statement of Jedi wearing robes in "Everything Star Wars." Even just taking the movies into account, that's still not the case, like you say.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

star wars is a universe where the line '"It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs." was uttered without explanation or context and in spite of the fact that that's not what a parsec is at all. it's really not the best example for a series that didn't go overboard on the fantasy/sci-fi made up name dropping.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

XIII's mistake was not giving Lightning a lightsaber.

Return of the Lightning: Final Fantasy XIII.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah. I was making the comment more on bloodychill's statement of Jedi wearing robes in "Everything Star Wars." Even just taking the movies into account, that's still not the case, like you say.

Fair 'nough.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Lordy lordy all those robes. I've seen Plinkett's stupid review of that stupid movie so I'm familiar with this whole robe argument that Star Wars fans have had. The thing is, Jedi are now inextricably bound to those robes.

Anyway, are we just settling on "FF13 was so bad that everything it did was bad by association"? Because I'm still willing to give it more than that, that it did some good, but that those names were dumb and they should have just called something else. Fal'sie, for example, maybe should have been called "giant biomechanical robot gods" because that actually sounds badass. It wanted these terms to be a thing as much as Microsoft wanted Bing to be a thing. Neither have become things.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 10, 2015

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am really not invested enough in the status of Jedi clothing to hunt down every example of when Jedi wore something else.

So sure, whatever. All Jedi wear robes and fal'Cie is a Dumb Term For Stupids.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's probably dumber that two thirds of the main characters' names are ordinary words.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm pretty interested in Type-0 now, at first i thought a lot of the appeal was like that whole japan-exclusive angle but it actually looks pretty fun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

It's probably dumber that two thirds of the main characters' names are ordinary words.

Well, a lot of video game character's names are ordinary words. We just give them a pass a lot of the time because they're foreign words, which... they still are to Japanese developers. They probably didn't think people would mind after Cloud and Squall.

This doesn't make the HOPE MEANS HOPE conversation any less dumb, mind.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 10, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Endorph posted:

star wars is a universe where the line '"It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs." was uttered without explanation or context and in spite of the fact that that's not what a parsec is at all. it's really not the best example for a series that didn't go overboard on the fantasy/sci-fi made up name dropping.

I remember the days when the fiction and fantasy parts of science fiction and fantasy stories were more widely accepted and accused far less of being "dumb" where the main justification is their lack of reality. Putting XIII aside for a moment, I really do miss those days because I enjoyed the stories more. The writers probably felt like they had more freedom to make that stuff then.

Anyways, back to talking about how the use of Cie killed XIII and transformed the entire FF franchise into literally hitler.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mega64 posted:

hope is a name, snow is a name (albeit a last name), Fang is a name (albeit a last name), and lightning is a fake name she made up for herself to try and seem badass.

compared to Ffamran mied Bunansa the names in FF13 are some of the most sensible in the series.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Noctis ignis gladiolus prompto

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Like all the Final Fantasy protagonists have silly names

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Like "Thief", fuckin moron. They're gonna KNOW you're doing the crimes if that's how you introduce yourself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Like all the Final Fantasy protagonists have silly names

You better not be saying poo poo about Ceodore.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Terper posted:

Noctis ignis gladiolus prompto

I am half convinced the XV names are Square seeing how far they can go with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rei_ posted:

Like "Thief", fuckin moron. They're gonna KNOW you're doing the crimes if that's how you introduce yourself.
their names were black mage, black mage, black mage, and black mage, and i wont have you claiming otherwise

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

It's not a Final Fantasy thing, it's a jrpg thing. See: EDGE MAVERICK and his predecessor, Fate Linegod.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

their names were black mage, black mage, black mage, and black mage, and i wont have you claiming otherwise

POOP, BUTT, PENS, and TURD have some words for you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

That's actually not as bad as first impressions give.

You see, Fire has a Base Power of 22, Thunder a Base Power of 23, and Blizzard a Base Power of 25.

Dark has a Base Power of 46. It's twice as strong as the other level one elemental spells.

Oh, yeah, I know. Dark completely owns. It was nuking groups outright all the way through, like, Leviathan.

The real issue is the lack of Cure. It makes a male Red Mage unable to contribute to healing for quite a while, and robs them of MP-efficient healing even after Cura's available. For example, in my current game, I got Cura around level 12, when my Red and White Mages had something like 150 MP. Cura costs 25 (without the Channeling Augment), while Cure costs 8. For the most part, Cure is still enough to heal in most situations, so they both used that much more than they used Cura for a while yet. But a male Red Mage wouldn't have that option.

It's not a big deal by any means--like most things when it comes to job-character pairings, it's completely manageable--but it's annoying. I can't really think of a good reason not to give Red Mage access to the White Magick 1 license.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If the games good the names are good even if they are bad and reverse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

twice h. peaceman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWTO4mk6UrM

twice h. peaceman's theme

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

POOP, BUTT, PENS, and TURD have some words for you

I don't know what you're talking about, this world was saved by AAAA, AAAA, AAAA, and AAAA

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 10, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Terper posted:

If the games good the names are good even if they are bad and reverse.

So you're saying every name is the worst in the series.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Butz tho

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Unironically naming everybody Sephiroth in FF7.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Shut the gently caress up about Star Wars, harison foed is dead you guys.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

Shut the gently caress up about Star Wars, harison foed is dead you guys.

r.i.p. Cid from Advent Children.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Oh if you like the Type-0 OST you should know it's the same guy who did the soundtracks for The World Ends With You and Crisis Core, the dudes got an ear for a good beat.

I like the composers they have at Square now that Uematsu is off doing fuckin' iphone games or whatever, Masayoshi Soken for instance (actually worked under false names until FFXIV, FFXIV was the first game he was allowed to put his name on iirc but he did stuff like Mario Hoops 3on3/Dawn of Mana/Nanashi No Game) is a lot more like, percussion-heavy than anyone else at Square but he's really good at it. FFXIV 2.0's tracks use a LOT of loving drums. Soken also has a band called The Primals and they just play FFXIV boss music at conventions and poo poo, he's pretty rad.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 11, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Rei_ posted:

Oh if you like the Type-0 OST you should know it's the same guy who did the soundtracks for The World Ends With You and Crisis Core

Does it get better after the first hours? Heard so much praise for TWEWY's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rei_ posted:

Oh if you like the Type-0 OST you should know it's the same guy who did the soundtracks for The World Ends With You and Crisis Core, the dudes got an ear for a good beat.

Well my interest just shot up, a shame that the OST S-E is selling on their website is a blu-ray? I would have bought the hell out of a proper CD release.