Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Duggler posted:

Ehh I guess his character kind of lends to him being flat all the time and having awkward dialogue with other people. He only gets to shine during the rare living room "poo poo is getting real" story time.

I guess I'm just the one person who finds mike really boring

Yeah I like mike as a side character but don't really get people proclaiming him as some god of acting. His range seems to fall between "grumpy old man who looks like he wants to murder you" and "grumpy old man who's about to murder you". and he's basically the same in his interviews too, only with more alcoholism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

We've already gone over this.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Something I picked up on is Mike seems to indicate he's a recovering alcoholic but we saw him drink a few times in Breaking Bad.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Why was Mike's daughter-in-law so pissed at him at the end of the previous episode? She glares at him from her car and won't speak to him, but in the flashback this episode she seems fine with him showing up and hanging around his granddaughter. I'm assuming she found the dirty suitcase money in between, and that's why she called the cops, but it didn't seem like Mike knew that yet when he was sitting in his car staring at her house.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Merry Marauder posted:

Though there is the next best thing across the river a bit, but that has its own perils:

His house looked like poo poo.

nerox
May 20, 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

Something I picked up on is Mike seems to indicate he's a recovering alcoholic but we saw him drink a few times in Breaking Bad.

Mike only fake drinks in Breaking Bad, he never knows when he is going to have to pull a fake drunk con/murder.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I came here because I really liked this episode and to state that I'm really enjoying this show but of course, it's just a bunch of goons complaining about Mike being a boring character. Aw well.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hobo Clown posted:

Why was Mike's daughter-in-law so pissed at him at the end of the previous episode? She glares at him from her car and won't speak to him, but in the flashback this episode she seems fine with him showing up and hanging around his granddaughter. I'm assuming she found the dirty suitcase money in between, and that's why she called the cops, but it didn't seem like Mike knew that yet when he was sitting in his car staring at her house.

Because him showing up and playing with the granddaughter was a day after he murdered the two cops and she didn't know about it and the day that she glares at him is the day she calls the philly cops because they've told her that Mike might have been the killer. It's very loving obvious what the hell.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Asema posted:

Because him showing up and playing with the granddaughter was a day after he murdered the two cops and she didn't know about it and the day that she glares at him is the day she calls the philly cops because they've told her that Mike might have been the killer. It's very loving obvious what the hell.

Welcome to TVIV

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Podcast just went up, for those who can listen to them direct from Sony. Hope they got Banks as a guest for this one.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Asema posted:

That explains why she's pissed at him but not why Mike is sitting outside her house watching her instead of going up and ringing the doorbell. He doesn't know she talked to the Philly cops until they show up at his door.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Takes No Damage posted:

Podcast just went up, for those who can listen to them direct from Sony. Hope they got Banks as a guest for this one.
THEY DID :dance:

Just started listening.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Hope this podcast link works for y'all.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
One thing I noticed that hasn't been commented on that I can see is how Mike was almost psyching himself up to execute the plan to kill those cops. Killing wasn't easy for him yet. He probably covered up a few bad shoots in his day, but I can believe he never straight up willfully murdered someone before that night.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
The first couple episodes of BCS were merely good, but the last 2-3 have been AMAZING.

Better than Breaking Bad.

Yeah, I went there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh man, according to the podcast, people (lame tourists) are being jerks to the people who own the White family house :ohdear:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Throwing pizzas on the roof when they get turned away?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Vince sounds so folksy and positive, he almost sounds like he belongs as a guest on Sesame Street.

edit: hell, he could be a Muppet

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heh, Vince says in the podcast that Kaylee in BCS is played by a different actress than in BB, so that might explain the age discrepancy.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it would result in a bigger age discrepancy if they had used the same actress.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it would result in a bigger age discrepancy if they had used the same actress.

No they just throw her in the reverse aging chamber...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

r0ck0 posted:

No they just throw her in the reverse aging chamber...

It would work on Dexter.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This episode really hit home. My brother tried really really hard to get into policing but ended up as a border guard, which I am thankful for since he seemed like the type that would do what Matty did.

Not that border guards are squeaky clean, but no one's murdered him yet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I got some bad news for you then

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Data Graham posted:

I got some bad news for you then

He's not as naive as I thought he was? Hopefully.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Heh, Vince says in the podcast that Kaylee in BCS is played by a different actress than in BB, so that might explain the age discrepancy.

Well, she'd kinda have to be or else we'd have an entire different sort of age discrepancy.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

is it really so important if a 4 year old looks like she's 5? come on now

this was a great episode

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

dex_sda posted:

is it really so important if a 4 year old looks like she's 5? come on now

the last time we saw Mike's granddaughter was in 2012.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 10, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This was a really good episode, I'm very glad they're exploring Mike's backstory.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Joe DeRosa :unsmith:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

widunder posted:

Joe DeRosa :unsmith:

It'd be funny to me if Joe DeRosa is the guy that introduces Jimmy to Bill Burr.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

My favorite part of the episode is when Mike starts laughing when Jimmy asks him how he knew he would spill the coffee. It's like Jimmy is going to be the last to recognize his true nature.

I liked this because it wasn't just some "the character knew because he's awesome" moment, there were some clues. Like Jimmy left the lid off his coffee, and he sure as hell took his time drinking it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Metropolis posted:

I liked this because it wasn't just some "the character knew because he's awesome" moment, there were some clues. Like Jimmy left the lid off his coffee, and he sure as hell took his time drinking it.

That's completely missing the point. He knew before he asked because he had a read on Jimmy's character.

Gracious me

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
BCS 101 Uno Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 102 Mijo Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 103 Nacho Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 104 Hero Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 105 Jello Alpine Shepherd Boy Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 106 Five-O Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lol, there will be a second season of Halt and Catch Fire?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This might be a dumb question, but did they ever show Mike's daughter in law in BB? And if so, was it the same actress? And as for the Kaylee thing, I'm more than happy to just straight-up ignore weird anachronisms like that, since this show is entertaining as Hell. (And, I'm guessing if they had an actress for her age at the age she's supposed to be at the time of this show, we'd all be complaining about what a 'crappy actress' a little 3/4 year old kid is, and it's ruined an otherwise good episode :v:)

I was a little uncertain going into this episode regarding it being Mike-centric (mostly because the show thus far has been more-or-less hijinks and more 'light-hearted' I suppose), but I enjoyed the Hell out of it, even though I was confused as Hell for a few minutes because I tuned in late and it took me a little bit to realize what was going on in the past and in the present.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't think anything needs to be retconned, it all fits.

Mike's death needs to be retconned. gently caress you forever Walt.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

LadyPictureShow posted:

This might be a dumb question, but did they ever show Mike's daughter in law in BB? And if so, was it the same actress? And as for the Kaylee thing, I'm more than happy to just straight-up ignore weird anachronisms like that, since this show is entertaining as Hell. (And, I'm guessing if they had an actress for her age at the age she's supposed to be at the time of this show, we'd all be complaining about what a 'crappy actress' a little 3/4 year old kid is, and it's ruined an otherwise good episode :v:)

You're right that the new younger Kaylee didn't look ~4, and that it casting an actual 4 year old wouldn't have been a good move anyway - but it's also not an anachronism. Go back and look at pictures of Breaking Bad Kaylee, I just did and she is very noticeably quite a few years older than the Better Call Saul Kaylee. She's probably not 8 years different, but 4/5/6, sure, and like LadyPictureShow said, you honestly wouldn't want any more of a difference than that.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

This might be a dumb question, but did they ever show Mike's daughter in law in BB? And if so, was it the same actress?

Yes, they did (Full Measure), and no, because the actress in that was just an extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Data Graham posted:

Throwing pizzas on the roof when they get turned away?

Yes. Believe it or not.

Edit- aaaand Jonathan Banks is loving awesome on the 106 insider podcast. Jesus, I want him to be my grandpa. Also, kill people for me. What an awesome dude.

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 11, 2015

• Locked thread