Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Framboos was available online a minute ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Kind of a rough weekend for my liver.... haha

Saturday : Ran to the Pizza Boy/Intangible Ales release of Acidulated Hive. Super small bottle count (Only around 1300 down from 2700 for Future Primitive). Was actually very low key. I"m thankful for the way it was handled.

Got there around 11:30, went into Pizza Boy and got a bottle of Acidulated hive to share before decided on how many we wanted to buy. Ordered a pizza, finished up our bottle, and I went and got in line while she waited for our food. The line was super small but we missed the initial hour where apparently it was a decent sized line and they sold over half what they had. Wound up buying a case, as the beer reminded me very much of a HF Anna Lite. Lots of tart honey... was really quite nice.

Came home that night and went thru some PB crowlers..

Stone Delicious IPA - Around here when it came out, stores were asking for $6-$8 a bottle and limit one per person... then it showed up in the new Stone variety pack.... but then I saw it available for a $9 crowler, so I got it.... it was good. I guess. Not enough Pine and not enough Tropical to really say it's an East or West Coast IPA... it just kinda was OK. It wasn't bad, or great. It was just another IPA in a very crowed field.

Pizza Boy snIPA Clausenii (sp?) - Wild IPA . Uh, it was OK. It had very little hop presence and was more sour... which I would normally love... not sure what to make of this one to be honest.
Pizza Boy/Benders Colloboration Barleywine : Really good barleywine. Not really worthy of getting again though.

Then, Sunday night...
Blushing Monk : Erm. May go get another one or two today and cellar em. It was great for a raspberry beer, but it's not like I remember it last time.

Perrin : With Kindness : Supposedly aged in Pappy Reserve bottles. Totally undercarbed and almost no bourbon character. Wonder if I got a bad bottle.

077xx : Still fantastic. Definitely one of my favorites. Wish Carton was slightly more available to me.

New Glarus Enigma : I got 3 bottles from American Zero ; Cranbic, Enigma and Oud Bruin. Cranbic was my favorite, this was a close second. Really enjoyed it.

My buddy was up in VT and grabbed me two growlers What is Enlightenment? and Legitamacy ... also a bottle of Norma :) So those will be fun soon.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Stone Delicious is regular priced in a 6-pack here. It's their gluten-removed offering, and good for that imo. I don't think I'd take it over a glutenhaving beer, though.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

So....

Whose going to be in Tampa this week for Tampa Beer Week? We are driving down on Tuesday night, with a stop for the day in Asheville. Current itinerary:

Thursday - Angry Chair Super Rad Rare Craft Beer Night
Friday - Peg's Cycle Brewing Event (Unfortunately only a couple people in my group got tickets)
Saturday - Hunahpu Day
Sunday - 7vnth Sun Hunahpu Hangover Party & Rapp Brewing BA Barleywine Release

Needless to say, this is my favorite week of the year, and going from 20 degree weather to 80 degree weather for a week is just icing on the cake.

I'm going to a wedding in Tampa the weekend after, I'm hoping they'll be some leftover stuff but I'm assuming everything will be depleted lol

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

CCK's hype is justified and it is the best beer Lost Abbey has ever produced hands down even beating Izzy, which I had last weekend. The cherry smell is ever present, there are actual bits of cherries scattered throughout the beer and the taste is really well done. Unlike most of their stuff, this was definitley over-carbed leading us to lose a couple of ounces.

I've had CCK but not Isabelle, but I had CCK with three people who had. They like CCK very much (and it's probably the best LA beer I've had, Veritas 007 being the other contender), but Isabelle has some kind of mythic status that set it even higher for them.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

Framboos was available online a minute ago...

If it's the same place I saw it, it was all (100+ bottles) gone within half an hour, amusingly before the site's newsletter actually went out announcing its arrival.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

bartolimu posted:

I've had CCK but not Isabelle, but I had CCK with three people who had. They like CCK very much (and it's probably the best LA beer I've had, Veritas 007 being the other contender), but Isabelle has some kind of mythic status that set it even higher for them.

taste the rarity, bro

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

pantsfree posted:

If it's the same place I saw it, it was all (100+ bottles) gone within half an hour, amusingly before the site's newsletter actually went out announcing its arrival.

That's the one... They posted it on Facebook about 30min before the email went out and it was sold out by then.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2015/03/jolly-pumpkin-la-roja-du-kriek-sour.html

Nice!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yisssssss. La Roja is probably my favorite standard JP offering, so this sounds great. I also just picked up a bottle of JP Saison X, which I can't wait to crack open. I would tonight, but as I just polished a whole bottle of Blushing Monk off last night (REALLY good), I'm going to moderate myself today.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

That's the one... They posted it on Facebook about 30min before the email went out and it was sold out by then.

poo poo sold out between putting it in my shopping cart and going to check out. kinda glad, honestly...

dibs?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Judging by the release in 750ml bottles, La Roja Kriek will probably get distro. Anxiously anticipating chasing a couple bottles and then promptly see them on shelves for months (undeservingly) much like Biere de Mars.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Judging by the release in 750ml bottles, La Roja Kriek will probably get distro. Anxiously anticipating chasing a couple bottles and then promptly see them on shelves for months (undeservingly) much like Biere de Mars.

To be fair, that only happened to BDM last year. In 2013 and prior, I do remember it disappearing pretty rapidly.

I'm actually not the biggest fan of La Roja, but I'll definitely hit the Kriek.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

They had it on tap at their tasting room for several months, it's really, really good.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've had this on tap at their brewpub a couple of times, it's excellent.

Edit: And ok I guess ExtremistCow beat me to that. Coming back from a trip to CA, currently sitting at Chicago Midway drinking Revolution Anti-hero. Beer selection here kinda blows, no one in this terminal even has Goose Island on tap.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 9, 2015

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Just a reminder that since Wednesday is the second Wednesday of the month, we're fast approaching cellar raid day! I'm tired from working so no witty quips on this one; just dig in the cellar, find something, open it, and review it.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Just had Skull Ole..

My stomach hurts.

Real bad... it was a two way split but I feel like I want to die.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Something to make krustster happy: Haymarket just announced a production brewery/brewpub in Bridgman, MI.

I'm not sure how often I'll buy their packaged goods but hopefully this means Clare's Thirsty in bottles...

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

danbanana posted:

Something to make krustster happy: Haymarket just announced a production brewery/brewpub in Bridgman, MI.

I'm not sure how often I'll buy their packaged goods but hopefully this means Clare's Thirsty in bottles...

:dance:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Taplist coming together for Hellshire Day on Saturday, any other Oregoons going?

quote:

Oakshire- Hellshire V, Hellshire IV and more as the kegs blow. Rotating throughout the day!
Agrarian Ales- Oregon Whisky Barrel-aged Dark Sparge
Claim 52-Scrivener's Sour
Viking Braggot- Fafnir- Imperial Oak Aged Sour
McMenamins High Street- 565 Strong Ale
Planktown- Hobbits Helper- Rye Whiskey Barrel-aged Winter Warmer
Hop Valley-Oakeroo
Ninkasi- OAKED SLEIGHR
10 Barrel-Rare Breed
Mazama-Nightside Eclipse
Worthy-Wood-Aged Dark Muse
2 Towns- Bourbon Barrel-aged Bad Apple
Nectar Creek- Blueberry/Black Currant Mead aged in Pinot Noir Barrel
de Garde- Imperial Raz Bu, Biere Noir
Stone-Stone Arbalest
Ecliptic-CoalsaCoalsack CDA Bourbon Aged
Wildcraft Cider Works-Snake River Rye Hard Cider
Two Brothers-Apocalyptic Bebop
Haymarket- Clare's Thirsty Ale, Indignant
FFF- Bourbon Barrel-aged Behemouth and Skull'Ole
Pipeworks-The Jones Dog
Goose Island- Bourbon County Barleywine
Off Color- Wild Turkey Barrel-aged Dino'smores
Revolution-Straight Jacket & Working Mom
Perennial- Savant Blanc
Surly- Eight (Rye-Whiskey Barrel-aged Oatwine) or Pentagram (Waiting on Confirmation on what made the trip)
Cambridge- Blunderbuss Barleywine
Trinity- 365 Day Sour, Easy Swinger,Magical Brettanomyces Tour #3 Brett bouckaertii
Elliot Bay- Shotgun Wedding
Firestone-Double DBA
Pizza Port-BBA Irish Coffee Bomb
Port Brewing/ The Lost Abbey- Cuvee de Tomme
Beachwood BBQ- Rye Like An Eagle
Gigantic- TBD
Flat Tail- TBD
Union- Bourbon Barrel- Barleywine
3 Stars- Harvester of Sorrow
Sun King-Bourbon Barrel-Aged Batch 666: Sympathy for the Devil
Wiseacre- Bourbon Barrel-aged Gotta Get up to Get Down
Naked City Brewing-Wild At Heart
Fremont Brewing- B-Bomb
Schlafly-Schlafly Bourbon Ale
Urban Chestnut- Barrel Aged Daft (Bourbon Barrel-aged English Barleywine)
New Holland- Coffee Dragon's Milk
Crooked Stave-Progenitor and Motif Reserva
Cigar City- Hunahpu (non-barrel-aged)
Hardywood Park- Apple Brandy Barrel-aged Imperial Milk Stout
Adroit Theory-ZERO - Coffee IPA Aged in Oak Barrels, Fear Is Your Only God
Tahoe Mountain-Accechepies
Brassiere Saint James-Wild Man
Commons- Putin from the Wood
Logsdon - Oak Aged Bretta
Block 15- Golden Canary
Breakside-Bellwether
5050- High West Bourbon Barrel-aged Eclipse
Hair of the Dog- Bourbon Matt
Deschutes- Class of '88 Belgian Style Ale
Payette-Rum Sunday Mourning Stout
Blacktooth-1314- English Strong Ale aged in Wyoming Whiskey Barrels
Crux- Banished Freakcake Barrel-aged Oud Bruin
Sierra Nevada- Bourbon Barrel-aged Bigfoot
New Belgium-Oscar Worthy Coffee-
Three Creeks- TBD
Fort George- Kentucky Girl
Calapooia- TBD

Very excited to try a lot of these, BA Dino S'mores, Straight Jacket, Cuvee de Tomme especially. Just praying my sense of taste comes back in time after the weird cold/sinus issues I'm getting over.

dphi fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 10, 2015

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

dphi posted:

Taplist coming together for Hellshire Day on Saturday, any other Oregoons going?

Very excited to try a lot of these, BA Dino S'mores, Straight Jacket, Cuvee de Tomme especially. Just praying my sense of taste comes back in time after the weird cold/sinue issues I'm getting over.

I hope you can taste carbonation OK

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

^ lol

dphi posted:

Very excited to try a lot of these, BA Dino S'mores, Straight Jacket, Cuvee de Tomme especially. Just praying my sense of taste comes back in time after the weird cold/sinue issues I'm getting over.

wow, crazy to see Hardywood and Adroit Theory represented, but i'd be lining up early for Golden Canary... of course, as an Oregoon, you might have already had it

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

funkybottoms posted:

^ lol

wow, crazy to see Hardywood and Adroit Theory represented, but i'd be lining up early for Golden Canary... of course, as an Oregoon, you might have already had it

Yeah, I kinda forgot about Adroit Theory since somebody (Midorka?) posted about them a while back when they were first getting started. Have they done anything good?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

dphi posted:

Yeah, I kinda forgot about Adroit Theory since somebody (Midorka?) posted about them a while back when they were first getting started. Have they done anything good?

depends on whether or not you like seeing me foam at the mouth.

beer-wise, nothing that i've tried has been very good, and i haven't really heard anything positive from people i know.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Also Trinity - are they distributing in the PNW now? Worth trying their stuff at least, I've had nothing but solid sours from them.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

air- posted:

Also Trinity - are they distributing in the PNW now? Worth trying their stuff at least, I've had nothing but solid sours from them.

Their sours and saisons are superb, their more standard offerings are not bad but, well, standard. The one big exception being Red Swingline, especially the variants.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

air- posted:

Yeah, they're all over shelves in Portland. Really enjoyed the Swingline variants but haven't ventured much further than that besides the baltic porter and Seven Day Sour. They definitely pique my interest with some of their beers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
In case you're in town today for TBBW leading up to Hunahpu day, Coppertail is going to have BA Sabotage at New World Brewery. There's probably better things going on that I don't know about but that's an awesome beer and an awesome place and I recommend stopping by.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Vertigo posted:

Just had Skull Ole..

My stomach hurts.

Real bad... it was a two way split but I feel like I want to die.

I split this four ways and that was about right. Way too tart for me to enjoy more than a few ounces of. My wife loved it though!

Also, glad you enjoyed the Cranbic. I've still got two bottles sitting here that I won't drink, it really didn't do it for me, so I'll hold on to them for you next time I ship something out to you.

I had a Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter last night. It's a good IPA in a sea of other good IPAs. I'd get it again if I'm at a restaurant that has it and not many other craft offerings, but for the same price at the liquor store, I'd rather go with Anti-Hero.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So for my birthday my boss got me a gift card to an online craft beer "store." Here's what I ordered:

2x Victory Anniversary 19 Session IPA - 12OZ BTL
3x Saint Archer Blonde Ale - 12OZ CAN
1x Russian River Damnation - 375ML BTL
1x Knee Deep Hoptologist Double IPA - 22OZ BTL
3x Evil Twin Molotov Lite - 16OZ CAN
1x Coronado Devil's Tale IPA - 22OZ BTL
2x Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin IPA - 12OZ BTL
1x Modern Times Protocosmos IPA - 22OZ BTL
1x Maui Lorenzini Double IPA - 4PK 12OZ CAN

How'd I do? :ohdear:

I love Ballast Point, but never had the habanero so I felt obliged to order it.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
where do you work? :worship:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

dphi posted:

I had two of their beers when they were still homebrewing, definitely solid beers when I had them. No idea what they're doing now.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

GramCracker posted:

So for my birthday my boss got me a gift card to an online craft beer "store." Here's what I ordered:

2x Victory Anniversary 19 Session IPA - 12OZ BTL
3x Saint Archer Blonde Ale - 12OZ CAN
1x Russian River Damnation - 375ML BTL
1x Knee Deep Hoptologist Double IPA - 22OZ BTL
3x Evil Twin Molotov Lite - 16OZ CAN
1x Coronado Devil's Tale IPA - 22OZ BTL
2x Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin IPA - 12OZ BTL
1x Modern Times Protocosmos IPA - 22OZ BTL
1x Maui Lorenzini Double IPA - 4PK 12OZ CAN

How'd I do? :ohdear:

I love Ballast Point, but never had the habanero so I felt obliged to order it.

Could have completely passed on the Saint Archer & Coronado options. Protocosmos uses the hops in that beer well. Damnation is a classic for the style. Other than that, if you like how they taste, that'll be all that matters.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Midorka posted:

Go to nj, it'll likely be cheaper and you won't have to buy it by the case. The Joe Canals in West Deptford is about 30-45 minutes from the Total Wine and you'll see a great selection plus a great growler station

From a few pages back, but thanks for this. I drove up today after work and picked up a few bottles to try.

Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire
Jolly Pumpkin Luciernaga
The Bruery Saison de Lente
The Bruery Trade Winds
Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout

I saw all their lambics and have no idea where to even begin with that. I picked up a Ter Dolen Kriek but I'm not expecting to be blown away, I'm going to try and pick off a few and experiment over time. Also picked up a couple Founder's Breakfast Stouts and Left Hand Milk Stouts.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Midorka posted:

I had two of their beers when they were still homebrewing, definitely solid beers when I had them. No idea what they're doing now.

I also had and maybe posted about some of their earlier pilot batches and maybe their stupid poo poo marketing reserve club when that came out. I really like the hazelnut whatever stout but I've heard nothing but disappointment sinch they launched officially. It might be the price point, idk. They've started distributing to NoVA proper, so i might grab more at some point, but the recent zoning changes should allow for 5-6 more breweries to pop up soon and hopefully they're better than AT.

Has anyone had the most recent Flying Dog single hop DIPA? http://flyingdogbrewery.com/single-hop-imperial-ipa-hbc-431/
I found some at a random store in Waldorf when I had to go down there on my afternoon off from work, but I think I'm a bit tipsy/stuffed to open or enjoy one right now.
They also talked me into taking 5 Dead Guys and 1 60min at 25% off of a 6pack price, which marks the first Rogue beers I've purchased in years.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

ChickenArise posted:

I also had and maybe posted about some of their earlier pilot batches and maybe their stupid poo poo marketing reserve club when that came out. I really like the hazelnut whatever stout but I've heard nothing but disappointment sinch they launched officially. It might be the price point, idk. They've started distributing to NoVA proper, so i might grab more at some point, but the recent zoning changes should allow for 5-6 more breweries to pop up soon and hopefully they're better than AT.

I grabbed a few Adroit Theory beers last week when they first hit distribution here. One was a barrel aged coffee IPA. It was mighty bourbony, bitter, but no stand out coffee or hops. It was decent, but not even close to worth the price. The other is an imperial porter and one is a barleywine. I suspect the 13.99 per 350 ml mostly goes towards the corked and caged bottle, crazy rear end artwork, little extra label ribbons over the cages, and fancy rear end 3 bottle carrying cases they ship them in. I hope the other two I got are a little more impressive.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

must resist urge... to poo poo-talk... Adroit Theory...

ChickenArise posted:

in Waldorf when I had to go down there on my afternoon off from work

what.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

must resist urge... to poo poo-talk... Adroit Theory...

what.

I'd poo poo talk them more if people bought their beers enough to be discussion-worthy :D

And the Waldorf thing is a dumb long rant about medical care and insurance idiocy in TYOOL 2015. It's a weird lovely place with a handful of cool weirdos, but at least the bourbon at Nick's is a lot cheaper than VA ABC

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
My 500th unique Untappd checkin was a Pacifico. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2015/03/10/bells-brewery-beer-trademark-innovation/24732355/

And here I thought lawsuits over similar beer names was bad, Bell's is taking someone to federal court over a goddamn bumper sticker slogan. :rolleyes: