Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Erh, just get a Turnigy 9XR.

The 9XR's been discontinued I think, so you'd have to get the Pro, which is $100 plus a module for a TX that's just okay.

You can get the Nano QX RTF set on Amazon or direct from Horizon for $90, which is a decent deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ionicism posted:

The 9XR's been discontinued I think, so you'd have to get the Pro, which is $100 plus a module for a TX that's just okay.

You can get the Nano QX RTF set on Amazon or direct from Horizon for $90, which is a decent deal.

Alright, $90 + $21 for a four pack of batteries ain't bad. I believe in buying quality but like I said this is training wheels so I don't break actual good stuff with my incompetence.

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

padijun posted:

Alright, $90 + $21 for a four pack of batteries ain't bad. I believe in buying quality but like I said this is training wheels so I don't break actual good stuff with my incompetence.

Definitely worth it for the Nano QX, it was the first quadcopter I bought too. It's as durable as advertised, which is good, because you will crash it (at first). A lot. The transmitter the RTF set comes with is good enough to learn to fly on, so you should be set.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
if you want to wait a few weeks there is also the clones: http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-3D-X4-2_4G-4CH-6-Gyro-RC-Quadcopter-With-LED-RTF-p-969112.html http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-CG023-Mini-2_4G-6-Axis-LED-Headless-Mode-RC-Quadcopter-RTF-p-956820.html?p=YL2512105842201212FR

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Hobby King have a Turnigy SK450 on sale for ~cheap~ right now - no controller, battery, or rx though.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__54362__Turnigy_SK450_Quad_Copter_Powered_By_Multistar_A_Plug_And_Fly_Quadcopter_Set_PNF_.html

I'm grabbing one - what's a good choice for a cheap controller? I want something that will do now, to upgrade when I have some more cash. Are the cheapo hobbyking 6ch tx/rx packs ok?

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 9, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sanguine posted:

Are the cheapo hobbyking 6ch tx/rx packs ok?

This is better:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8992__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_w_Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html

or these together:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__51442__Turnigy_9XR_PRO_Radio_Transmitter_Mode_2_without_module_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24656__OrangeRX_DSMX_DSM2_Compatible_2_4Ghz_Transmitter_Module_JR_Turnigy_compatible_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__46632__OrangeRx_R615X_DSM2_DSMX_Compatible_6Ch_2_4GHz_Receiver_w_CPPM.html

Or a FrSky Taranis

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

Sanguine posted:

Hobby King have a Turnigy SK450 on sale for ~cheap~ right now - no controller, battery, or rx though.

[ulr]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__54362__Turnigy_SK450_Quad_Copter_Powered_By_Multistar_A_Plug_And_Fly_Quadcopter_Set_PNF_.html[/url]

I'm grabbing one - what's a good choice for a cheap controller? I want something that will do now, to upgrade when I have some more cash. Are the cheapo hobbyking 6ch tx/rx packs ok?

They look like a rebadged flysky fs-ct6b; I started off with one of those. It was fine for a starter handset (nice and cheap too). Eats batteries though (I modded mine to work off a 3s lipo, but rechargeable AAs would work just as well!).

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
Has anyone tried the Flyduino KISS 18a ESCs? I put a set into my QAV 250 today (4s, Lumeiner 2208 2000kv w/ angled mounts, naze32) and holy poo poo they're insane, especially with OneShot enabled! The quad feels almost like it's hard-wired to the controls now.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Should I be ok cutting this opening wider? The frame is fiberglass composite, and i'm not really sure what to except from it when I get out the dremel. I don't mind opening into the bolt holes, but I don't want this poo poo to shatter or something else unpredictable when it gets real thin.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Cunning Plan posted:

They look like a rebadged flysky fs-ct6b; I started off with one of those. It was fine for a starter handset (nice and cheap too). Eats batteries though (I modded mine to work off a 3s lipo, but rechargeable AAs would work just as well!).

Cheers! While something with 9 channels and model memory would be nice, I don't need it and I'm trying to go budget. I'll grab a cheap 1C lipo for it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Major structural failure on my lovely radio shack quad yesterday. It wasn't even a hard crash but it broke the center part of the frame in 3 places making every single arm wobbly. It was actually kind of funny, I've ran this thing into the ground from like 30 feet and it just bounced, but my paper and balsa wood room divider was just too much for it.

So I went to the dollar store and did arts and crafts today. Popsicle sticks, zipties, hot glue and an elastic. The frame is heavier now but as a result I can actually keep the thing in a hover. It was super jumpy before.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Speaking of homebuilt stuff (That elastic band around the motor is fantastic by the way), is there any reason not to build a fixed wing FPV drone around a pulsejet?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

DreadLlama posted:

Speaking of homebuilt stuff (That elastic band around the motor is fantastic by the way), is there any reason not to build a fixed wing FPV drone around a pulsejet?

How long of a list do you want?

First, noise. You want to get complaints, that's how you get complaints.

Second, fuel economy. Pulse jets are horrifically fuel inefficient.

Third, range. That fuel thing again...

Fourth, heat. What are you building it from? Are you prepared to burn down your plane?

Fifth, heat again. But this time, how are you going to deal with a hot slug of metal next to your fuel tank, while you go hunt the plane down after you landed.

Sixth, throttling. Pulse jets have a fairly narrow throttling range.

Seventh, starting. You might get it to start on the ground, but how are you going to deal with an in flight restart? Jets frequently have self starting capability, and you can add it to the gas engines.

Eighth, reliablity. Pulse jets are also very dependant on fuel flow. INterrupt it at all, and your engine is dead.. You can have funny fueling on jets, and the ignition system will relight things as soon as the fuel bubble passes. Same for gas and nitro engines.

... so.. "I" wouldn't do it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nerobro posted:

Fourth, heat. What are you building it from? Are you prepared to burn down your plane?

Fifth, heat again. But this time, how are you going to deal with a hot slug of metal next to your fuel tank, while you go hunt the plane down after you landed.

Seventh, starting. You might get it to start on the ground, but how are you going to deal with an in flight restart? Jets frequently have self starting capability, and you can add it to the gas engines.

Eighth, reliablity. Pulse jets are also very dependant on fuel flow. INterrupt it at all, and your engine is dead.. You can have funny fueling on jets, and the ignition system will relight things as soon as the fuel bubble passes. Same for gas and nitro engines.

Counterpoint: your camera platform can look (and sound!) like a V-1.

:colbert:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I posted here about my 12V FPV camera (+ step-up regulator) having serious brown out issues when I applied some throttle, and I mentioned that I ordered a new wide-voltage range camera to see if the problem solved itself. The camera arrived last Friday, but because it was much smaller than the previous one (PZ0420M), I cannot find any 2mm zipties in my country so I had to order from AliExpress...

While I wait a month or two for the zipties to arrive, I decided to test the camera. How to attach it to the frame? String!

No brown outs at all. It must have been the old camera, or the step-up regulator.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Nerobro posted:

I prefer the cargo section crammed with fireworks and rocket igniters, and one of the switches on my transmitter labeled "Viking Funeral" in a childish scrawl.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MrYenko posted:

Counterpoint: your camera platform can look (and sound!) like a V-1.

:colbert:

While cool in and of itself... You remember how those things landed right?

Mister Sinewave posted:

I prefer the cargo section crammed with fireworks and rocket igniters, and one of the switches on my transmitter labeled "Viking Funeral" in a childish scrawl.

Right. Exactly like that.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

on the left posted:

I'll probably pick one up once there is a ublox m8n GPS wired for it, since the I/O uses different connectors than a normal pixhawk.

I've been looking into an m8n but lately the consensus seems to be that the sensitivity of it means you might not be able to put it far enough away from potential noise to make it worth it on multirotors or small uav http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/arducopter-3-2-1-beta-testing?id=705844%3ATopic%3A1882038&page=30#comments http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987175&page=245

I'm tired of waiting for the pixhack though, so I might just go with the standard pixhawk (though this one is cool too and uses the least bullshit connectors of them all http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2285520). snow is clearing up and I'm going to try and put the order in for my power stuff / pixhawk tomorrow

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, the RCG thread (and one of the devs) is saying stay away from the M8N.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've decided to try my luck at a 250fpv quad. God save me.

ZMR250 frame
Power OSD pdb
12a SimonK Afro escs

I'm going to set up a ground station with the option to add goggles later.

My question to you guys: I saw a fpv receiver with 2x antennae (my buddy uses a radial and a directional one in his). What are good recommendations for this? Also, for a CC cam for this little demon, which is a good choice? I'm looking at the Sony p0420.

What do you think?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the black pearl and white dwarf both have an integrated diversity receiver, as well as immersionRC's 5800 receiver

also http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/SONY-Super-HAD-CCD-600TVL-D%252dWDR-DNR-Board-Camera-For-FPV.html

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 10, 2015

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've decided to try my luck at a 250fpv quad. God save me.

ZMR250 frame
Power OSD pdb
12a SimonK Afro escs

I'm going to set up a ground station with the option to add goggles later.

My question to you guys: I saw a fpv receiver with 2x antennae (my buddy uses a radial and a directional one in his). What are good recommendations for this? Also, for a CC cam for this little demon, which is a good choice? I'm looking at the Sony p0420.

What do you think?
I'm currently using a PZ0420M which is a wide voltage range version of the PZ0420, can run between 5 and 17V so you can pretty much run it straight off the battery or the 5V out of the FPV TX. I quite like it, the color is pretty good. The PZ0420 seems to be the FPV standard, but I'm seeing more people go towards 5V cameras now. Make sure you chuck a LC filter between the power supply & camera, I had a lot of noise before doing this.

I'm currently using 1806 2400kv motors with a 1300 mAh battery and I get 5 minutes with FPV, 7 minutes without. I do have my low battery set for 3.55V which is a bit high, I'm thinking of changing the value to 3.4V so I can squeeze more runtime out of them. I could probably go for 1500 or 1800 mAh batteries, though.

edit:

A Yolo Wizard posted:

the black pearl and white dwarf both have an integrated diversity receiver, as well as immersionRC's 5800 receiver

also http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/SONY-Super-HAD-CCD-600TVL-D%252dWDR-DNR-Board-Camera-For-FPV.html

I don't know why, but I had brownout problems with that camera. This is the one I eventually swapped to.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got both the 1.2GHz transmitter/recievers I ordered yesterday. The TX itself is pretty light but then the antenna weighs just as much as the TX. I'll have to look into more lightweight solutions like cheap router antennas.

Next step is to design a lightweight headset that will house 2 of these 2.5" diagonal LCD displays, one per eye. They're only 320x240 but that's okay for now.

And the plan is to house the recievers in some sort of fisherman bag with lots of pockets I can hang off my shoulder and fit a 12v battery into. A purse, if you will.

The Stereo Mobius case is all designed and sent off to the 3D printers, will cost me $70 which is a bit more than Shapeways would charge($45) but it's being done locally and will be done by Thursday instead of 3+ weeks. There are mount holes on the other side for a hollow shaft gimbal motor so I can run power and video out up the gimbal arms to the quad frame. I might power the cameras from the gimbal controller if it has a spot for ~3.7v out

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 10, 2015

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I got both the 1.2GHz transmitter/recievers I ordered yesterday. The TX itself is pretty light but then the antenna weighs just as much as the TX. I'll have to look into more lightweight solutions like cheap router antennas.

Next step is to design a lightweight headset that will house 2 of these 2.5" diagonal LCD displays, one per eye. They're only 320x240 but that's okay for now.

And the plan is to house the recievers in some sort of fisherman bag with lots of pockets I can hang off my shoulder and fit a 12v battery into. A purse, if you will.

The Stereo Mobius case is all designed and sent off to the 3D printers, will cost me $70 which is a bit more than Shapeways would charge($45) but it's being done locally and will be done by Thursday instead of 3+ weeks.

Where did you get those displays? looking for something similar for another project

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Where did you get those displays? looking for something similar for another project

http://www.adafruit.com/products/912

Please dont buy 9 of them.

heres a 1.5"
http://www.adafruit.com/products/910

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 10, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have flown with my Fatshark goggles only once and liked the immersion, hated the lack of comfort. Some of it is unavoidable -- for example I wear glasses (remove them for the goggles but need them on hand for you know, everything else) but I also wear hearing aids in both ears which gets in the way of any kind of skull strap and junk.

Also not so unavoidable problems, like fogging. Maybe I'm just a misty motherfucker but having the goggles sealed right up against my face just didn't work for me.

SOLUTION: an adapter to hook my fatsharks up to a helmet & mount originally intended for night vision :pcgaming:

They flip up and down like a boss, and also I can seat them so that I can still glance straight down and see my transmitter or feet. We'll see how it performs come spring!

Here it is all rough, still fresh from assembly.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
That's beautiful. Nice job. You're going to look real goofy with the helmet anyway, so now attach a directional antenna, some head tracking, and you're in full-on nerdmode.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Already has pan/tilt/roll headtracking :frogc00l:

I think I'll sand a bit of the roughness and hit it with some spray paint (after masking off everything else of course) and call it done. Rig up some power and cable relief anchored to the helmet and I'll be ready to field test it and find out if I wasted my time or not :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have flown with my Fatshark goggles only once and liked the immersion, hated the lack of comfort. Some of it is unavoidable -- for example I wear glasses (remove them for the goggles but need them on hand for you know, everything else) but I also wear hearing aids in both ears which gets in the way of any kind of skull strap and junk.

Also not so unavoidable problems, like fogging. Maybe I'm just a misty motherfucker but having the goggles sealed right up against my face just didn't work for me.

SOLUTION: an adapter to hook my fatsharks up to a helmet & mount originally intended for night vision :pcgaming:

They flip up and down like a boss, and also I can seat them so that I can still glance straight down and see my transmitter or feet. We'll see how it performs come spring!

Here it is all rough, still fresh from assembly.

That looks a hell of a lot better than the guy who made his FPV goggles out of a welders mask. Cool rig.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

There's also this: http://fliteevolution.com/product/clearview-fpv-goggle-kit/

It doesn't solve the hearing aid issue though.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Inspire 1 shot of downtown portland from last week... click for big

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

MMD3 posted:

Inspire 1 shot of downtown portland from last week... click for big

That is seriously cool.

Also, I think I may have finally been totally sucked into the hobby. I'm shopping for 450 sized RTF helis. Hoping to pick one up sometime this spring, in fact. The Blade 120 is fun but I need something that can handle a bit of wind, since the 120 is super light and easily pushed around. I knew this would happen, damnit :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Astronaut Jones posted:

There's also this: http://fliteevolution.com/product/clearview-fpv-goggle-kit/

It doesn't solve the hearing aid issue though.

Neat, thanks for the link. I would ditch my hearing aids more readily and willingly than I would my glasses, let me tell you.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mister Sinewave posted:

Neat, thanks for the link. I would ditch my hearing aids more readily and willingly than I would my glasses, let me tell you.

I think a lot of people would mute their multirotor engines if they could. It's a pretty exclusive feature.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That looks a hell of a lot better than the guy who made his FPV goggles out of a welders mask. Cool rig.

welder mounted is cool as hell

this is mine (2200mah lipo goes on the other side)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Yolo Wizard posted:

welder mounted is cool as hell

this is mine (2200mah lipo goes on the other side)

Is that a 1.2ghz? Looks like we bought the same kit. My Rx is about that size but with stock antennas.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1.3 yes.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Thank you! That's thoughtful, but my requirements are different. I will explain (my perceived) differences between my goals and those of most people. I would appreciate if you could update your opinion as well with regards to my goals/requirements.

1. The aircraft is intended to operate as surveillance and notification that our "No Hunting/Trespassing" sings are -in fact- actively enforced and that "we intend to press charges if we see you but would just as soon you hosed off so we hadn't bother".

2. This is a valid point and I will think on it.

3... .... well poo poo.

What's the next-noisiest to a pulsejet thing that you can imagine flying?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

DreadLlama posted:

What's the next-noisiest to a pulsejet thing that you can imagine flying?

A quadrotor/fixed wing with a huge gently caress-off speaker attached to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah but it'll mean an alternator which means (at least) a gas turbo and probably at least a bridge rectifier + small battery and a parasite DC circuit for running the cassette+whatever to run the speaker. And then also you've got a speaker hangining out of your fuselage, and also you've got to supply the extra thrust to lift said speaker.

Is a pulsejet really that much shittier?